Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

You cant say that!!!!!!!

Jump to newest

By *emmefatale OP   Woman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Do you think people are too politically correct these days?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

oh yes, seems you can't say a lot to what could get away with 20 years ago

By *eizvollWoman
over a year ago

in my own little world :-)

"oh yes, seems you can't say a lot to what could get away with 20 years ago "

Hope you're not being 'yearist'???

over a year ago

"oh yes, seems you can't say a lot to what could get away with 20 years ago

Hope you're not being 'yearist'??? "

lmao, see?!

By *eizvollWoman
over a year ago

in my own little world :-)

"oh yes, seems you can't say a lot to what could get away with 20 years ago

Hope you're not being 'yearist'???

lmao, see?!"

You can't say that either - what about the visually impaired?

over a year ago

yes, makes me sick

over a year ago

"Do you think people are too politically correct these days? "

What do you mean by people? Are you suggesting we're all the same? Right I'm reporting you to the "we're not all the same society for worldly differences" Now you're in trouble lol x

By *emmefatale OP   Woman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Do you think people are too politically correct these days?

What do you mean by people? Are you suggesting we're all the same? Right I'm reporting you to the "we're not all the same society for worldly differences" Now you're in trouble lol x"

By *nothercoupleCouple
over a year ago

Exeter

Ever heard Kevin 'Bloody' Wilson sing 'You cant say c***t in Canada'?

He bloody well did!

over a year ago

Freedom of expression has been superceded by freedom to say what you like, but not what you think, and so long as it complies with what the majority finds acceptable, which is a yardstick that is liable to move at any time without notice.

over a year ago

my arse!!!!!

By *uss PussWoman
over a year ago

east cheshire

Defo too politically correct nowadays....they have stopped me throwing rocks at gingers

By *uckscouple2007Couple
over a year ago

Bucks

"Defo too politically correct nowadays....they have stopped me throwing rocks at gingers "

Oi ... We gingers are members of society too

By *ngieandMrManCouple
over a year ago

hereford

Some while back I heard a story on the news of a guy who got sacked from his job… apparently this guy and a few others had done a bit of overtime and as they had finished he dropped the phrase “I could murder and Indian” meaning he was staving and would pick up an Indian take-a-way on his way home.

It’s a fact you have to be very careful of what you say nowadays just in case some jobs-worth dick-head decides to take offence to it.

over a year ago

When you approach middle age though, I find that people become more opinionated, or should I say they become less inclined to hold their tongues.

Jim Royle and Alf Garnett come to mind

By *uss PussWoman
over a year ago

east cheshire

"Defo too politically correct nowadays....they have stopped me throwing rocks at gingers

Oi ... We gingers are members of society too "

Totally agree......on a small island somewhere

over a year ago

20 years ago people got offended at things that were offensive.

These days people are too self righteous and feel it is "right" to be offended at anything they can dig up, or even start, in order to give themselves a pathetic little voice in their meaningless lives.

/sigh

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

lol @ _uss puss

By *prite128Woman
over a year ago

maidstone

I only consider this when faced with only the mose extreme examples - sadly those are the ones usually used by people/media to decry the whole issue, not just the stupid examples.

so do i want to live in a society where I can't sing baa baa black sheep to my kids or where I can't call my towns winter illuminations "christmas lights" - No, I dont, but then personally I've never experienced this.

but do i want to live in a society where its no longer ok to use the term spaz or mong to describe people, or where consideration is made to the planning of new buildings/services to make them user friendly to those with any type of disability, and where my kids are encouraged towards acceptance ( and if not tolerance ) of difference ...then for me its a big Yes.

political correctness has become a term of ridcule as to many it just represents the very worse in examples of how differences should and could be looked at.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I only consider this when faced with only the mose extreme examples - sadly those are the ones usually used by people/media to decry the whole issue, not just the stupid examples.

so do i want to live in a society where I can't sing baa baa black sheep to my kids or where I can't call my towns winter illuminations "christmas lights" - No, I dont, but then personally I've never experienced this.

but do i want to live in a society where its no longer ok to use the term spaz or mong to describe people, or where consideration is made to the planning of new buildings/services to make them user friendly to those with any type of disability, and where my kids are encouraged towards acceptance ( and if not tolerance ) of difference ...then for me its a big Yes.

political correctness has become a term of ridcule as to many it just represents the very worse in examples of how differences should and could be looked at. "

Very good post....

By *prite128Woman
over a year ago

maidstone

[Removed by poster at 10/08/10 13:41:22]

over a year ago

On the subject of political correctness, it's ok to put an age range on your profile but is it ok to say what ethnic origin you're looking for?

over a year ago

I've a fetish for Gingers.....you can't say that!

Paddy xxx

"Defo too politically correct nowadays....they have stopped me throwing rocks at gingers "

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"On the subject of political correctness, it's ok to put an age range on your profile but is it ok to say what ethnic origin you're looking for? "

Of course, why wouldn't it be?

It's all about personal preference....

over a year ago

How would I phrase it?! I don't want to offend or be dragged off to the dungeon for inappropriate comments!

By *uss PussWoman
over a year ago

east cheshire

"I've a fetish for Gingers.....you can't say that!

Paddy xxx

Defo too politically correct nowadays....they have stopped me throwing rocks at gingers "

Just did.....

You will like my master plan then....small island in Atlantic + mass round up = ginger eutopia

You may have a free pass

By *evilmentMan
over a year ago

Aberdeen

"You will like my master plan then....small island in Atlantic + mass round up = ginger eutopia "

You can't do that!

Gingers breeding exclusively with other gingers? You'll reach ginger critical mass inside six generations!

And besides, from space it'd look like the earth had a pimple

over a year ago

"You will like my master plan then....small island in Atlantic + mass round up = ginger eutopia

You can't do that!

Gingers breeding exclusively with other gingers? You'll reach ginger critical mass inside six generations!

And besides, from space it'd look like the earth had a pimple "

Well i am not a ginger fan and will admit it. Is that not being politically correct? Will i get hanged for it? I hope not

over a year ago

"On the subject of political correctness, it's ok to put an age range on your profile but is it ok to say what ethnic origin you're looking for? "

of course it is ok to express a preference.

By *uss PussWoman
over a year ago

east cheshire

"You will like my master plan then....small island in Atlantic + mass round up = ginger eutopia

You can't do that!

And besides, from space it'd look like the earth had a pimple "

LOL

over a year ago

If you read George Orwell 1984 now, you'd realise the guy knew what he was talking about, when I read it at school in (ahem) a few years ago, it seemed prepostorous.

we talk about the thought police, yet we are all recruits

over a year ago

"I've a fetish for Gingers.....you can't say that!

Paddy xxx

Defo too politically correct nowadays....they have stopped me throwing rocks at gingers

Just did.....

You will like my master plan then....small island in Atlantic + mass round up = ginger eutopia

You may have a free pass "

It'd never work. I've never seen a ginger with more than one mate before.

over a year ago

Political correctness has gone mad. Last year the headteacher of my childs school banned xmas cards and decorations incase it offended those children of other religions. It caused uproar as the children had spent the month of november studying Diwali. the masses overcame the nutty headteacher. And xmas was restored

over a year ago

"Some while back I heard a story on the news of a guy who got sacked from his job… apparently this guy and a few others had done a bit of overtime and as they had finished he dropped the phrase “I could murder and Indian” meaning he was staving and would pick up an Indian take-a-way on his way home.

It’s a fact you have to be very careful of what you say nowadays just in case some jobs-worth dick-head decides to take offence to it.

"

I work for a trade union and was told I was being too sensitive for reporting an activist who came into the office and stated in an office of black women "I've been working like a nigger today".

At same employment I was told I'm not a "white person's black person" for not taking it in the spirit it was meant: "you people" are hard workers.

Oh well, as long as people can call a spade a spade hey!

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

when my son started nursery in Leicester they celebrated dawali but not christmas. But the thing that pissed me off more than anything, when you walked in their was a big muriel of a mother rabbit with all these babies around her (bit like a beatrix potter thing) now all these babies had asian names, not one of them had an english name. It was 98% asian community so i would of been happy with just one having an english name, it really used to wind me up lol

over a year ago

"How would I phrase it?! I don't want to offend or be dragged off to the dungeon for inappropriate comments!"

Sigh...I have on my profile "white men only"...says what I want, easy really!

By *prite128Woman
over a year ago

maidstone

"

I work for a trade union and was told I was being too sensitive for reporting an activist who came into the office and stated in an office of black women "I've been working like a nigger today".

At same employment I was told I'm not a "white person's black person" for not taking it in the spirit it was meant: "you people" are hard workers.

Oh well, as long as people can call a spade a spade hey!"

thats because you're just giving yourself a little voice in your meaningless life Sassy ...see above somewhere

over a year ago

political correctness has become a term of ridcule as to many it just represents the very worse in examples of how differences should and could be looked at. "

Spot on.

Most examples of "political madness gone mad" are created by the media or just right ring bull aimed at stirring up tensions.

over a year ago

"Some while back I heard a story on the news of a guy who got sacked from his job… apparently this guy and a few others had done a bit of overtime and as they had finished he dropped the phrase “I could murder and Indian” meaning he was staving and would pick up an Indian take-a-way on his way home.

"

Find me a genuine newslink to that story and I will give a £100 to a charity of your choice.

This is exactly what i meant in my last post by people using political correctness as a tool to create tension. Though in fairness a quick google suggests that you are confusing a Stan Boardman joke aboout 2 footballers as a news story...

By *ummy mummyWoman
over a year ago

southampton-ish

my mum in law and all the ex's family always go on about how it had gone made have to say baa baa rainbow sheep etc(have also never come across it myself)but they can also be very racist too.Now I under stand that she is from an older generation and they did not have as many cultural differences growing up, but there are a lot of things that I do not want passed on to my children via them. I grew up in a very multicultural town in Canada and have gorwn up with friends from all different cultural backrounds so just see everyone as that ..people...and the thought of one of my kids coming back from theirs on a weekend saying nanny came back from holiday as black as a n.....makes me feel sick to my stomach.

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

In Plymouth they only have lights at Xmas which say seasons greetings in case they offend our muslin breathren. I was lucky enough to spend Xmas in Oman. The whole bloody Hotel was decked out in signs saying Christmas and Happy new year. Even the staff and locals were walking up to us and wishing us Merry Xmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The mind frigging boggles

over a year ago

at our local college me and my black friend went to order a coffee.. i ordered a black coffee and was told that was politically incorrect and causes offence! my black friend laughed in her face and said what colour is it then? she said black and he just stared at her and said can i have a black coffee then? she said yes! worlds gone mad

over a year ago

"

my mum in law and all the ex's family always go on about how it had gone made have to say baa baa rainbow sheep etc(have also never come across it myself)but they can also be very racist too.."

I too think this is to a degree an urban myth. But the fact remains that so many terms like blacksheep, blackmail all have a negative connotation and there are no (that I can think) of phrases where black is used positively.

Is it really wrong to be challenging that?

over a year ago

"

my mum in law and all the ex's family always go on about how it had gone made have to say baa baa rainbow sheep etc(have also never come across it myself)but they can also be very racist too..

I too think this is to a degree an urban myth. But the fact remains that so many terms like blacksheep, blackmail all have a negative connotation and there are no (that I can think) of phrases where black is used positively.

Is it really wrong to be challenging that?"

Maybe it's because black is perceived as the colour of evil/lucifer/satan so when someone strays from the straight and narrow they are termed 'black sheep of the family'. Similarly, when someone is trying to coerce money from you via dubious means, it is termed 'blackmail'. I don't attach any racist connotations to those terms at all and it's the extreme end of the PC wedge that deems it so. Tossers.

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

"

my mum in law and all the ex's family always go on about how it had gone made have to say baa baa rainbow sheep etc(have also never come across it myself)but they can also be very racist too..

Whats negative about blackboard??

over a year ago

"In Plymouth they only have lights at Xmas which say seasons greetings in case they offend our muslin breathren. "

Is that what they said is it? Or just what you assume?

By *ollie_JCouple
over a year ago

London

In my experience, it tends to be middle management who misinterpret the laws who cause the problem... It's a HandS issue etc.. But every time you dig deeper they cause the problems themselves..

Anyway back to the OP question... Is this aimed at dumb people, who naturally can't say that..

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

"In Plymouth they only have lights at Xmas which say seasons greetings in case they offend our muslin breathren.

"

It was what was said by the council when questioned about it.

over a year ago

"at our local college me and my black friend went to order a coffee.. i ordered a black coffee and was told that was politically incorrect and causes offence! my black friend laughed in her face and said what colour is it then? she said black and he just stared at her and said can i have a black coffee then? she said yes! worlds gone mad"

What if your black friend had ordered a white coffee?

By *zMaleMan
over a year ago

penzance

"In my experience, it tends to be middle management who misinterpret the laws who cause the problem... It's a HandS issue etc.. But every time you dig deeper they cause the problems themselves..

Anyway back to the OP question... Is this aimed at dumb people, who naturally can't say that.."

D'oh you can't say 'dumb' they're mute now. Dump implies they're stupid FFS.

By *ensualfire88Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"

'nigger in the woodpile' - no longer appropriate, no question.

But, blacksheep, blackmail - too far. Common usage, which isnt related directly to race is a rich part of the english language and would be impossible to eradicate.

The connotation of black being 'bad', is much more from history i.e fear of the dark and the insecurity of life at night-time when it's er dark and 'black' than it has to to with race.

Medieval peseants going round the place saying 'we don't want none of them darkies round 'ere...'? I think not.

AND if you're going to do it with black, then you need to got through the Oxford English dictionary and change all the words which have a negative root.

AND FINALLY, by banning certain words, you are gift wapping them and giving them to racists for their own personal use. But if we keep using words, the racists will have to think of their own words. And they won't be able to. 'Cos racists is thick, innit.

(at no point in this pos am i condoning, or suggesting re-introducing the word 'nigger' to day to day use)

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Really? Just twice then.

Can someone pass my an ink eraser please.

over a year ago

"at our local college me and my black friend went to order a coffee.. i ordered a black coffee and was told that was politically incorrect and causes offence! my black friend laughed in her face and said what colour is it then? she said black and he just stared at her and said can i have a black coffee then? she said yes! worlds gone mad

What if your black friend had ordered a white coffee? "

Oh that would be allowed! we asked. My friend said he was more offended that i couldnt order a black coffee as it was highlighting racial issues when none should have existed

By *ensualfire88Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"

Really? Just twice then.

Can someone pass my an ink eraser please."

It's okay for Quentin Tarantino to say the phrase 'dead nigger storage' in his film, because it's in context.

It's okay for Chris Rock to ask 'is it ever okay for a white man to call a black man nigger' in his comedy act, because it's in context.

It's okay for the band in Roddy Doyles novel The committments to describe themselves as 'the niggers of Dublin', because it's in context.

It's okay for me to use the word 'nigger' in this forum when discussing political correctness and what is and isnt acceptable, because it's in context.

The point of the post was, and is, it's not the word that harms.

It's the context.

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

And counting.

By *ensualfire88Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"

And counting."

Presumably very slowly.

Concentrating on each finger so you don't lose your place. Again.

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Presumably.

over a year ago

"When you approach middle age though, I find that people become more opinionated, or should I say they become less inclined to hold their tongues.

Jim Royle and Alf Garnett come to mind "

Check out the Flashman books,so refreshingly Victorian un P.C,brilliant!

They would make a great T.V series but they'd never wear it these days!

XXXX

over a year ago

"

Really? Just twice then.

Can someone pass my an ink eraser please.

It's okay for Quentin Tarantino to say the phrase 'dead nigger storage' in his film, because it's in context.

HAT off to this man, i am going to memorise this post and use it any further conversations i have about racism

It's okay for Chris Rock to ask 'is it ever okay for a white man to call a black man nigger' in his comedy act, because it's in context.

It's okay for the band in Roddy Doyles novel The committments to describe themselves as 'the niggers of Dublin', because it's in context.

It's okay for me to use the word 'nigger' in this forum when discussing political correctness and what is and isnt acceptable, because it's in context.

The point of the post was, and is, it's not the word that harms.

It's the context.

"

By *ollie_JCouple
over a year ago

London

"

Check out the Flashman books,so refreshingly Victorian un P.C,brilliant!

They would make a great T.V series but they'd never wear it these days!

XXXX"

But only 30 years old..

Didn't they make a film about one of them, seem to remember it from a school film society outing..

over a year ago

Definitely.

I am not vertically challenged, I am fat!

over a year ago

"In Plymouth they only have lights at Xmas which say seasons greetings in case they offend our muslin breathren.

It was what was said by the council when questioned about it."

Yet amazingly no trace anywhere (according to google) of any such thing...

over a year ago

yeah and most of then are the nosey 'do gooders'

You usually find the people that are supposed to get offended are usually the only ones who arnt

over a year ago

the fact is, discrimination does come in all shapes and sizes and colours and races and religion; the grey area is it's definition, they can't define what is and isn't discriminatory....whether the use of a word or the imapact of the word or the purpose of using that word is the real issue is one that can only be decided in court and is completely up to whoever is presiding that day to be sure...so we all err on the side of caution 'just to be sure'.

so, in comes positive discrimination..where now someone can be selected, not by merit or hard work, but to fill a quota (where I work, they are actively seeking roman catholics for example, as they don't have enough). i find this equally offensive especially as it does, by it's own meaning, discriminate.

It was regulating folk needed, it was educating.

over a year ago

"* It wasn't regulating folk needed, it was educating. "

over a year ago

Yet amazingly no trace anywhere (according to google) of any such thing..."

there are plenty of examples if you look hard enough, like christmas cards from the house of commons being completely ambiguous and just carrying the message 'seasons greetings' and school nativities no longer allowed to be based on the jesus theme...a fact i do know is true as both my childrens and my sisters childrens nurseries have announced that they are 'discouraged' by showing plays that have any religious message...(I think my nieces play was to do with vegetables in a cooking pot if you want to google it) and work places that are no longer allowed to put up decorations (I work in one of those, though I doubt it was on google, was just a work memo).

just because you didnt find it, doesnt mean it didnt happen.

i doubt you'd fine me on google, but i do exist...i think

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I love your posts Dances

By *ollie_JCouple
over a year ago

London

I think we are all coming to the same conclusion, in the vacuum of a top down direction on these matters, people are inadvertently coming to the wrong conclusion as to not offend anybody..

Hence the cases of schools and nativity plays, i very much doubt whether the central education boards have stipulated this, rather than a middle management Monday morning meeting have come up with their own ideas..

And in return giving the lurid headlines for which they were trying to avoid in the first place...

over a year ago

what about sideism

eg- left out left behind are bad but feeling all right is good

obvious discrimination agaianst us lefties

By *ollie_JCouple
over a year ago

London

That came out of left field

over a year ago

I was born too late, I actually grew up with this politically correct shower of shite, I love my Dad's storys of tv in his day, love thy neighbour and bless this house, even Alf Garnet, never offended anyone as it was all tongue in cheek, but this lot invent problems, even Captain Pugwash with Sea man Stains or "muffin the Mule" quality, now considered offensive!

I'm by no means racist, I grew up with Asian and coloured friends alike who were offended that these so called "do gooders" speaking on thier behalf, but actually allienated them against certain people at our school, it was more harmonious before they butted in

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 10/08/10 22:23:37]

over a year ago

" I love your posts Dances "

*curtsies*

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

"oh yes, seems you can't say a lot to what could get away with 20 years ago "

Your not a PC guy you use a Mac

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Yet amazingly no trace anywhere (according to google) of any such thing..."

I live relatively close to Plymouth, take the local newspaper every day and watch local TV news most nights....have NEVER seen this urban myth mentioned anywhere but on these forums and again by the same member.

Proof please PZ!

over a year ago

"I was born too late, I actually grew up with this politically correct shower of shite, I love my Dad's storys of tv in his day, love thy neighbour and bless this house, even Alf Garnet, never offended anyone as it was all tongue in cheek, but this lot invent problems, even Captain Pugwash with Sea man Stains or "muffin the Mule" quality, now considered offensive!

I'm by no means racist, I grew up with Asian and coloured friends alike who were offended that these so called "do gooders" speaking on thier behalf, but actually allienated them against certain people at our school, it was more harmonious before they butted in "

I have to correct you there: it did offend!

My parents were always bemused that the British came to them asking for help in rebuilding this country, only for them to gladly come, do their part snd be insulted at every turn under the guise of "tongue in cheek" humour!

I remember asking my dad once why he didn't say something, his response was "you don't insult someone in their home", so my parents generation took the "tongue in cheek" insults and sucked it up.

Do people really want to revert to a time when blacks were called Sambo, disabled people spastics, illegitmate children bastards?!! Well, do you?!!

I take pride in the fact my parents, a first class education and my own sense of worth has allowed me to talk to others without the need to offend or belittle in order to make myself feel superior.

But hey...each to their own!

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"I was born too late, I actually grew up with this politically correct shower of shite, I love my Dad's storys of tv in his day, love thy neighbour and bless this house, even Alf Garnet, never offended anyone as it was all tongue in cheek, but this lot invent problems, even Captain Pugwash with Sea man Stains or "muffin the Mule" quality, now considered offensive!

I'm by no means racist, I grew up with Asian and coloured friends alike who were offended that these so called "do gooders" speaking on thier behalf, but actually allienated them against certain people at our school, it was more harmonious before they butted in

My parents were always bemused that the British came to them asking for help in rebuilding this country, only for them to gladly come, do their part snd be insulted at every turn under the guise of "tongue in cheek" humour!

I remember asking my dad once why he didn't say something, his response was "you don't insult someone in their home", so my parents generation took the "tongue in cheek" insults and sucked it up.

Do people really want to revert to a time when blacks were called Sambo, disabled people spastics, illegitmate children bastards?!! Well, do you?!!

I take pride in the fact my parents, a first class education and my own sense of worth has allowed me to talk to others without the need to offend or belittle in order to make myself feel superior.

But hey...each to their own! "

Great post Sassy....

By *prite128Woman
over a year ago

maidstone

Yet amazingly no trace anywhere (according to google) of any such thing...

I live relatively close to Plymouth, take the local newspaper every day and watch local TV news most nights....have NEVER seen this urban myth mentioned anywhere but on these forums and again by the same member.

Proof please PZ!"

there is an article about last years christmas market in plymouth, with reference to the centrepiece of the community christmas tree

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 11/08/10 11:35:34]

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Every Christmas Eve the local churches hold a joint Christmas Carol service in the shopping centre of Plymouth in conjunction with the Royal Navy and Royal Marines, I know because I have been several times.

The bombed out church (1943) that greets you when you enter Plymouth is also the hub of an annual parade by local churches and Scouts etc.

There is also a big christian event held in the Barbican harbour in the centre of Plymouth to mark the voyage of the Pilgrim Fathers to the Americas, this is held every year when again all the local churches get together.

Sound like a City tied up in political correctness to you?

By *prite128Woman
over a year ago

maidstone

There certainly are real examples about but it doesnt help when people perpetuate the view that such decision making is commonplace.

its what i meant in my original post about the term PC coming to represent the extreme examples that none of us would want to see .

by this happening we lose sight of the positive changes and progress that has occured due to lessening discriminatory practices.

the proverbial throwing out of the baby with the bath water

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

But hey...each to their own! "

As you say sassy each to their own. Funny how different people percieve themselves and others

over a year ago

Ye think that is bad, here in Ireland we can get prosecuted for blasphemy.

Post new Message to Thread