Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Right to Roam

Jump to newest

By *ig bad OP   Man
over a year ago

Up North :-)

Should everyone have access to the countryside, even when it’s privately owned?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Anyone trespasses private land gets killed.

Tally ho Farquar...

By *ig bad OP   Man
over a year ago

Is it right though? The toffs can say........."Oi you...SCORAT!....Get off my laaaaaand"

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

When we where kids we went everywhere at my grannys via the fields. I think everyone should have a right but i also think people who dont respect the countryside and peoples land by vandelizmn or littering it should be heavily fined

over a year ago

"the toffs"

good lord.

if it's their land, of course they can. Would you welcome someone in your backyard?

over a year ago

no,unless it is designated for public use

after all you dont want strangers stomping trough your garden,do you?

By *uss PussWoman
over a year ago

east cheshire

Agree with a right to roam....since they banned fox hunting there is so little sport out there.....ramblers cant run quite as fast...but heyho

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

Oh if its someones private home garden in the countryside then no. But all other countryside yes

By *averiMan
over a year ago

Swindon to bristol

why the hell should anyone have the right to walk over private land? This is not a commie country where what's mine is yours etc.

over a year ago

"Oh if its someones private home garden in the countryside then no. But all other countryside yes"

So what's the difference??

By *yber pimpMan
over a year ago

durham area

"Should everyone have access to the countryside, even when it’s privately owned?"

only for the purposes or dogging and out door sex

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"

Oh if its someones private home garden in the countryside then no. But all other countryside yes

"

well if you just happened to live in the countryside would you like someone walking around your private garden?

By *ast and modifiedCouple
over a year ago

near glasgow

"Anyone trespasses private land gets killed.

Tally ho Farquar..."

there are no tresspass laws in Scotland

over a year ago

12 bore and electric fence and pack of hungry alsatians do tend to scare them off.........

over a year ago

"

well if you just happened to live in the countryside would you like someone walking around your private garden?"

I live in the countryside, no I don't want anyone walking round my garden or around my land that I've worked hard to buy either! It's just as private as my garden thank-you!

over a year ago

"Should everyone have access to the countryside, even when it’s privately owned?"

There's some called "Foot and Mouth"...trampling over fields and spreading it gr8 idea?!?

Just wonder where people get ideas from - there are reasons, why farmers don't want you trampling over their fields.. would you like people walking through your frontroom?

Helen

By *awnpaulCouple
over a year ago

Hounslow

Look up the enclosures acts and you'll discover that it's a relatively new phenomenon. Granted, private land should, as a rule, be just that but the 'common' people lost unfettered access to huge tracts of land only relatively recently. We should never give up the right to roam lightly, especially via public rights of way or bridleways. Land ownership in this country has a pretty murky background anyway, rule of the sword, feudalism and all that. Until quite recently, the C of E was one of the largest landholders in the country, it may still be. How did they come about such land? Read yer history, theft, bullying etc!

By *awnpaulCouple
over a year ago

Hounslow

""the toffs"

good lord.

if it's their land, of course they can. Would you welcome someone in your backyard?"

How did they come about this land?

over a year ago

Two fold, the planners or government that there is adequate access to open land for all but people should not be allowed to roam freely over someone else's land, there are designated "walkways" or whatever they are called and they should be preserved perhaps even expanded.

And as said by someone else, respect for the land and the owners should be given by everyone.

But here is another question, what about the hunts that appear to think they have the right to follow where ever the fox goes ?

Not a question about support or against fox hunting but what it says, should the hunters be allowed access to all roads, farmland, open public areas without restriction when chasing the prey ?

By *awnpaulCouple
over a year ago

Hounslow

Argh, hunts make me froth!!!! I'd lik

e the right to shove that stupid horn and jacket up their arse!!!!!

over a year ago

"Two fold, the planners or government that there is adequate access to open land for all but people should not be allowed to roam freely over someone else's land, there are designated "walkways" or whatever they are called and they should be preserved perhaps even expanded.

And as said by someone else, respect for the land and the owners should be given by everyone.

But here is another question, what about the hunts that appear to think they have the right to follow where ever the fox goes ?

Not a question about support or against fox hunting but what it says, should the hunters be allowed access to all roads, farmland, open public areas without restriction when chasing the prey ?"

They shouldn't have to now fix hunting is banned and the following of the lure is over permitted land.

over a year ago

"Two fold, the planners or government that there is adequate access to open land for all but people should not be allowed to roam freely over someone else's land, there are designated "walkways" or whatever they are called and they should be preserved perhaps even expanded.

Not a question about support or against fox hunting but what it says, should the hunters be allowed access to all roads, farmland, open public areas without restriction when chasing the prey ?"

They do not have the right to access private land without the owners permission the same as every other person.

They can and have been fined for damage caused by trespass.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"Should everyone have access to the countryside, even when it’s privately owned?

only for the purposes or dogging and out door sex

"

had my first and very farcical meet for outdoor sex today

probably not good doing it with a copper - very nervous of evey sound lol

over a year ago

""the toffs"

good lord.

if it's their land, of course they can. Would you welcome someone in your backyard?

How did they come about this land? "

I have to assume that's a farcical question.

over a year ago

Eve I am having a vision of the both of you looking like meerkats in the wild !!!

over a year ago

not if is privately owned!! a person has a right to expect privacy on their land.

living in the countryside, I must say my biggest gripe is the tourists that travel hours to spend time admiring its beauty and drive around merrily tossing their rubish out the back of their vehicles or leaving their debris on the beaches....not only the fact it's a bloody inconsiderate mess, but the potential harm it could do to the local wildlife make it a horrendously negligent act

over a year ago

Not a question about support or against fox hunting but what it says, should the hunters be allowed access to all roads, farmland, open public areas without restriction when chasing the prey ?

They shouldn't have to now fix hunting is banned and the following of the lure is over permitted land."

Think you will find that only hunting with 3 or more dogs is banned. So of you take your 3 dogs for a walk and they all Chase a rabbit you are as.guilty as the hunt!! Thank-you Labour I'm now a criminal!

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"Eve I am having a vision of the both of you looking like meerkats in the wild !!! "

it was hilarious!! wore completley inappropriate shoes, went on a 5 mile hike to find a spot, fell over , set out the blankets etc then just as it was getting good a twig went crack and it was no go lol

trekked back to the car and have agreed to try again in a bed

over a year ago

as a somerset peson get offf me lllllllllllaaaand

over a year ago

we live in a little village and our local farmer and land owner lets people walk their dogs or just walk through his land and is happy to do so.

By *awnpaulCouple
over a year ago

Hounslow

""the toffs"

good lord.

How did they come about this land?

I have to assume that's a farcical question. "

You 'have to assume', please, do me no favours, explain why you think it's a 'farcical question'.

As I've said in an earlier post, land ownership in this country has a murky past. The rights to many a great tract of land was granted to 'the squires' in the days pre-dating mechanised transport, moreover, those rights were often granted under duress. Right to use these lands was often granted under covenant, ensconced in that covenant was the 'public right of way', necessary in those days if the parish was going to be able to effectively function, tradesman carrying out their lawful business relied on public rights of way to be able to get to their place of work/trade in a reasonable time.

In this day and age, people or, more commmonly, businesses, purchase said tract of land in the full knowledge of the existence of footways, bridleways and easements that have been there since the land was parceled. These rights of way are just as important now so people can enjoy and experience the countryside which, when all is said and done, is ours. The rich landowners do tend to try and curtail these rights, if we allow them to simply on the principle of 'ownership'(whatever that may mean), it is to our detriment.

Someone has described these rights as 'Marxist', actually, it is the complete opposite, it is honouring the original contract, capitalism, I would tender.

Farcical? Please, elucidate......

over a year ago

well i trample through our local farmers field everyday and he doesnt bother? he says the day i fell and landed in cow shit was priceless!

i suppose living in the country its different for me xx

over a year ago

Well living and spending most of my time in the civilised part of the UK mainland, I regularly take advantage of our 'right to roam' legislation.

Most of Scotland is open to responsible access and I've long enjoyed tramping over the countryside, both field and moor.

Over the past year or so, I've also discovered the delights of outdoor fun and there's something special about lying out in the great outdoors, with a lady beside me, doing what comes naturally!!

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"Well living and spending most of my time in the civilised part of the UK mainland, I regularly take advantage of our 'right to roam' legislation.

Most of Scotland is open to responsible access and I've long enjoyed tramping over the countryside, both field and moor.

Over the past year or so, I've also discovered the delights of outdoor fun and there's something special about lying out in the great outdoors, with a lady beside me, doing what comes naturally!! "

to mznwty : are you sure it was cow shit you fell in?

over a year ago

yup it def was!

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

i'm not laughing, really.

over a year ago

"

i'm not laughing, really. "

i laughed too!! it was funny! wasnt when i got home and had to hose down out in the garden and heave clothes and shoes in bucket!! x

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Just athought, if you're travelling from Austria say, wouldn't it be left to Rome?

over a year ago

Most of the large hereditary landowners don't mind so long as you do no damage and act responsibly during lambing, shooting etc seasons. It's mostly the new money arseholes who get uppity about right of access.

An aside. A report on the National Trust for Scotland released today confirms they don't even keep a single register of what buildings, land, islands etc they actually own.

Another aside. Why do communists use tea bags? Because proper tea is theft

over a year ago

"Most of the large hereditary landowners don't mind so long as you do no damage and act responsibly during lambing, shooting etc seasons. It's mostly the new money arseholes who get uppity about right of access.

An aside. A report on the National Trust for Scotland released today confirms they don't even keep a single register of what buildings, land, islands etc they actually own.

Another aside. Why do communists use tea bags? Because proper tea is theft "

i think 'acting responsibily' is possibly the greatest issue....one post in mind is the person who says he enjoys his outdoor fun, if you were a private land owner, would you want strangers using your land for this?

also, does anyone know where the issue of liability lies if someone endures an injury whilst roaming on private land? is the owner expected to insure their land for tresspassers or does the trespasser have to accept a no-claim scenario? could the land-owner be sued if it was discovered that they hadnt taken reasonable steps to ensure that their land was safe for trespassers to use?

over a year ago

"Agree with a right to roam....since they banned fox hunting there is so little sport out there.....ramblers cant run quite as fast...but heyho "

This made me giggle Though anyone thinking that Hunting has stopped is living in cloud cuckoo land lol ... still alive and well and "accidentally" killing them pesky foxes!

over a year ago

"

also, does anyone know where the issue of liability lies if someone endures an injury whilst roaming on private land? is the owner expected to insure their land for tresspassers or does the trespasser have to accept a no-claim scenario? could the land-owner be sued if it was discovered that they hadnt taken reasonable steps to ensure that their land was safe for trespassers to use?"

I currently lease land and a lake for recreational use, so although i'm not the freeholder, i am the leaseholder. There's a clause in said lease, dont know the exact wording without getting eyestrain but something along the lines that as the leaseholder i must accept full responsibility or any legal action taken in respect of the aforementioned site... as the site is run for recreational purposes, if someone did trespass and drown for example, i would be held liable for this, and whilst unlikely could end up facing at manslaughter charges. It makes no difference whether it is a paying member, or an out of hours trespasser - the incident still occured on land i am responsible for...

Would still argue with any judge that it was the silly feckers fault for trespassing in the first place but doubt it'd get me far at all

over a year ago

Don't get all this rambling malarky. There's no roads there so I can't get me fookin car over the rocks and hills. Bugger that.

over a year ago

"

I currently lease land and a lake for recreational use, so although i'm not the freeholder, i am the leaseholder. There's a clause in said lease, dont know the exact wording without getting eyestrain but something along the lines that as the leaseholder i must accept full responsibility or any legal action taken in respect of the aforementioned site... as the site is run for recreational purposes, if someone did trespass and drown for example, i would be held liable for this, and whilst unlikely could end up facing at manslaughter charges. It makes no difference whether it is a paying member, or an out of hours trespasser - the incident still occured on land i am responsible for...

Would still argue with any judge that it was the silly feckers fault for trespassing in the first place but doubt it'd get me far at all "

I used ot have a swimming pool in the back garden of the house I had with my ex-wife and we regularly had kids climbing over the wall in the summer hols to swim in the pool. We had to get the police out one summer as the same group did it 5 times in one day and just refused to accept that they weren't allowed.

The policeman had a look round and informed us that as we didn't have a sign saying 'Enter at your own risk' we could be liable to prosecution if one of the little shits drowned. The law is an ass sometimes but needless to say, a sign went up pronto.

By *ara_and_MJCouple
over a year ago

rochdale

As someone who uses the local & not-so-local bridleways & byways* to cycle on i heartily wish England had the same access rights as do the Scots.

Rambling/cycling/horseriding across open access land is a pleasure all citizens should be able to access by right. Access land is something entirely different to a private garden & the two shouldn't ever be confused if you don't want to face a trespass charge.**

* I sometimes also cycle on footpaths as most of the ones around here are former packhorse trails & therefore originally 'bridleways', just relatively recently downgraded to save the council money. (Councils have a duty to maintain BW's but not FP's) However, just as with BW's i take stock of the ground conditions & time of week/day before i ride so as not to wreck the trail and/or cause problems for other users like walkers.

** Trespass is not a criminal offense but a civil matter. Only the landowner or the land owners agent have the power to ask you to leave and (potentially) make restoration for any damages you may have caused. Certain areas like National Parks do have by-laws however.

What chance this Govt will consider a Scottish-style Access Bill?

over a year ago

".............

also, does anyone know where the issue of liability lies if someone endures an injury whilst roaming on private land? is the owner expected to insure their land for tresspassers or does the trespasser have to accept a no-claim scenario? could the land-owner be sued if it was discovered that they hadnt taken reasonable steps to ensure that their land was safe for trespassers to use?"

I'm not sure about the pejorative use of 'trespasser' but I'd like to think the same principle would apply to someone breaking into your house through the bathroom window.

If they slip on the soap and break their neck is it the homeowners fault?

over a year ago

"............

What chance this Govt will consider a Scottish-style Access Bill? "

Tory bastards voting to allow the hoi polloi to get close to their baronial estates? Doesn't seem likely.

over a year ago

"............

What chance this Govt will consider a Scottish-style Access Bill?

Tory bastards voting to allow the hoi polloi to get close to their baronial estates? Doesn't seem likely."

Let's make all places publicly available to whoever wants to roam there eh? Have all the chavs trampling everywhere leaving their empty cans of fookin Irn Bru everywhere. Keep the riff raff on their council estates where they belong, let them trash their own homes, not ours.

By *arks38Man
over a year ago

barnsley

As a shepherd on a hill farm i have strong views to this subject would u allow any tom dick or harry into u work place or what would u say if i brought my 1000 sheep to u house well i think we all no the answers to all the questions it not the right to roam we have the problem with its the knobs that dont realise the sheep on both sides of the gate u left open have just taken all day to sought out from the last lot of idiots that thought it was ok we dont need to shut it or the lamb at lambing time that u picked up at lambing time a sleep under the wall its mum new it was there but now u interferried and made the lamb run off is probly lost and will prob die

By *he BananamanMan
over a year ago

WORCESTERSHIRE

people buy the land with the public right to walk already on the deeds dont they?,its like the terraced house with a back alley that others use to access the rear gardens,the right was there before you bought it!.

its like when madonna bought land in dorset,she knew what she was buying but tried to reverse all the rights on the land just because she had money,to hell with centuries old tradition!,i got money,i am a star!.

By *o DaddyMan
over a year ago

Worcestershire

i don't think the lords and barons(prescott,mandlesohn etc) of the labour party would allow you to use the right to roam act to get to close to their palatial estates,they might have conned you that they were working class and were fighting for workers rights to get your votes but that will be long forgotten now that they are in the top house.

By *ansue35Couple
over a year ago

yorkshire

So you had a free face pat then LOL

Sorry

"well i trample through our local farmers field everyday and he doesnt bother? he says the day i fell and landed in cow shit was priceless!

i suppose living in the country its different for me xx"

By *ansue35Couple
over a year ago

yorkshire

Game keepers are the pain in the arse, Our local one decided to shoot any dog or cat in his field.

even if the was no animal in the fields. He just ass, really.

I agree, if you follow the paths etc then thats ok.

As for out door sex, kiss back garden, but warm soft bed for evrything else

By *arks38Man
over a year ago

barnsley

We seem to be comin away from the thead now but if we want open country lets do it but that includes are sheep goin in to peoples gardens and eatting there veg and flowers like years ago

over a year ago

We live in the countryside...and use everyones land )) What you'll probably find is, their land is soooooooooooooooo big, that they dont have time to come check it everyday :D

Rebels rule!! I have a very friendly smile that gets me out of all sorts

over a year ago

If folk behave responsibly then have no problem with it.

drew the line when the local deer hunting rambo wannabe's came traipsing through the garden armed to the teeth

Grrrrrr!!

over a year ago

If your not doing any damage or going too close tp someone's house then i think we should be allowed to roam. There are many old footpaths that have been ploughed, closed or access bared in recent roads though.

What i don't like is private beaches or access to the sea or coast being restricted to the public.

By *obblybitsCouple
over a year ago

huddersfield

around hear there are bridle ways foot paths ect everywere so no actuly I do not think everyone has the right to go everywhere. the farm I spent half my teenager life at had a footpath that went right in front of there door through there garden bit which was a pain in the bloody arse. the mum went to court to move it but it didn't happen and some smegging gits walked there every week just to piss us off.

also there are animals that may not be as friendly on the land your planning to walk across too. have you ever been chased by a large number of horses or cows its not nice.

were I life the whole moor went up in flames a few months ago it was a devastating Sean and it still isn't clear if the group of youngsters Sean leaving were responsible.

and most of the land maybe owned by the rich but it is farmed by the poor

michelle

over a year ago

Its all very well going walking over someone's land but be pleasant and considerate. Don't go where there isn't already a footpath and don't leave your dog shit or picnic rubbish about. And don't take your horse down the track near my stables cos the bastard witch at the end will shoot you. Trust me, I have the scars to prove it. Revenge is nigh....

over a year ago

If its a farmers field or a wood where you can't do much damage I dont see why we cant have a little ramble as long as we don't do any harm

over a year ago

"If its a farmers field or a wood where you can't do much damage I dont see why we cant have a little ramble as long as we don't do any harm "

Can't do much damage! Just typical, farmers don't just have fields to look at you know!

Ignorance is bliss, every field is used to grow something weather its a crop to feed humans or animals, so please respect the farmers crops stick to the footpath. Also pick up your dogs mess as this can cause cattle and sheep to die if it gets into into there feed.

By *ig bad OP   Man
over a year ago

"If its a farmers field or a wood where you can't do much damage I dont see why we cant have a little ramble as long as we don't do any harm

Can't do much damage! Just typical, farmers don't just have fields to look at you know!

Ignorance is bliss, every field is used to grow something weather its a crop to feed humans or animals, so please respect the farmers crops stick to the footpath. Also pick up your dogs mess as this can cause cattle and sheep to die if it gets into into there feed. "

Not quite every field as some are left fallow and some is only fit for sheep grazing it depends which part of the country your in. I thin ignorance is bliss is a bit strong.

I still think we should have some rights to roam and i am not sure if we can or should actually have ownership of land to the extent others are permanently excluded.

over a year ago

It's quite strange, being Scottish and living in Scotland where our right to roam is entrenched in our psyche. It makes me thankful for that right. I think most people here respect the land tho not always the fences and would no more walk through a field of corn than run naked down the road.

By *arks38Man
over a year ago

barnsley

Most of our land is moorland only good for grazing sheep on but due to people walking were they want we have less sheep on now than ever before due to the grass been walked away and townys bring there dogs in to the countryside and when they are chasing the sheep all over they say o he was only playing tell that to the 180 quid sheep that had to be put down this afternoon this is are livelyhood not a free for all

over a year ago

Was out walking yesterday. 7 or 8 miles and took a picnic. Stuck to footpaths but at one point veered off to sit by a lake and have lunch. Left no litter obviously, but judging by the map we were clearly tresspassing. Conversely a little further on, the path seemingly disappeared and following it would have taken us over a recently ploughed field. Skirted the edge of the field and headed for he nearest road before picking the path up a little further on.

It's all about common sense at the end of the day. But most people lack it!

over a year ago

There are adverts on the telly here promoting sensible use of free access and while it doesn't stop the numpties what most farmers find is town people don't really like getting wet muddy or smelly so stick to the paths. A 'Beware of the Bull ' sign works really well

Post new Message to Thread