Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

computer power

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

hi all basically i am sharing this so those who wish to do it can i know if i knew about it i would have done it ages ago. I have just started doing this and thought it would be a good thing to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OJeuCRVcv8

Scientific research typically feels far removed from our day-to-day lives, but now there are computer programs that allow you to get active and contribute to uncovering major scientific breakthroughs. Although it seems like a small thing, everyday people could use these tools to make a HUGE difference in the future!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

I had a friend at Uni that signed up to cancer research.

Essentially, you logged onto the site, left the house with the computer running and your computer to run programmes. The idea was, that the computing power was spread globally rather than locally, thereby maximising processing to find potential cures.

Great idea, never did it myself

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

My head hurts...

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I did the cancer research one a few years ago. Distributed computing, using your spare processor power on your pc to calculate stuff that the world's biggest computer would struggle with. I now run climate research. Costs nothing and I hope my old cancer research, which was evaluating new treatment drugs, helps to save some lives in future.

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

On of the computer mags dedicates a page to this every month. There is a competition, where people build super fast/powerful computers to see who can presses the most data a month...

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"My head hurts..."

Me too Thumpster, I'm going to bed

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

This has been going on for years, SETI have utilised it very effectively.

Post new Message to Thread