Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Hardest Rugby Players

Jump to newest

By *horshiper OP   Man
over a year ago

London

Following on from the hardest footballers - who are your hardest rugby players.

For me - Martin Johnson

Had the pleasure of working for the England rugby team in the 90's

Phil de Glanville was a asshole

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *uv2lick11Man
over a year ago

r c t

Glad u posted that! U guna get loads of replies! Mine is a u old player, sorry he is welsh! But by the way thats not why i picked him! Its jpr williams!! Theres guna be awesome players mentioned here i know it!

By *horshiper OP   Man
over a year ago

London

"Glad u posted that! U guna get loads of replies! Mine is a u old player, sorry he is welsh! But by the way thats not why i picked him! Its jpr williams!! Theres guna be awesome players mentioned here i know it!"

Croeso I used to live in Y Drenewydd

By *ittykate84Woman
over a year ago

CHESTER

Me! I was a right little sod

By *horshiper OP   Man
over a year ago

London

"Me! I was a right little sod"

Lol I would be scared of being tackled by you

By *ittykate84Woman
over a year ago

CHESTER

"Me! I was a right little sod

Lol I would be scared of being tackled by you "

Should be.. I played dirty

By *horshiper OP   Man
over a year ago

London

Should be.. I played dirty"

Lol thanks for looking I would have sent you a Face Pic but I am too old lol

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Ellery Hanley was a tough nut and a highly skillful and quick man in his time.

By *ittykate84Woman
over a year ago

CHESTER

Lol thanks for looking I would have sent you a Face Pic but I am too old lol "

Im just nosey!! Want me to throw ya zimmer frame over?

By *horshiper OP   Man
over a year ago

London

Lol thanks for looking I would have sent you a Face Pic but I am too old lol

Im just nosey!! Want me to throw ya zimmer frame over?"

Oi cheeky aint that old

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 25/11/14 03:26:25]

over a year ago

Ieuan Evans for Wales.

I'm also an ex player

By *ethepeopleMan
over a year ago

Near you

Dean Ryan

over a year ago

"Glad u posted that! U guna get loads of replies! Mine is a u old player, sorry he is welsh! But by the way thats not why i picked him! Its jpr williams!! Theres guna be awesome players mentioned here i know it!"

Why on earth are you saying sorry that he's Welsh for??

over a year ago

Ieuan Evans and Shane Williams.

By *uv2lick11Man
over a year ago

r c t

B'coz i am to! An pple think i just said him coz he is too! But i do think he was the hardest!

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

Not really a rugby fan (played a little schoolboy rugby but never really got into the sport), so don't know names, but I would have thought that the hardest rugby players would not come from the Union game but would be League players. In my opinion a much more physically tough game.

Will be interesting to see if any agree with me.

over a year ago

"Ellery Hanley was a tough nut and a highly skillful and quick man in his time. "

Wasn't he a criminal and served time at some point? Before continuing, and being allowed to continue, his career?

Can remember one time being in the crowd up at Odsal when a particularly vociferous supporter took offence to something he did and shouted "You should be bloody well hung."

At which point a female fan chirped up with "He is. oh my, he so is".

over a year ago

Vince Karelius (sp?) is a name that comes to mind.

over a year ago

"

Vince Karelius (sp?) is a name that comes to mind. "

The wild man of the pampus, best headline ever, Vince karelius stepped of the boat and Australia shuck,

I will say Jonathan Davies he was a tough little nut,

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I'm always impressed by the little guys who go head to head with the Giants of the game.

Matt Dawson and Johny Wilkinson both come to mind. Two players with a massive work rate, who could take a battering and get back up for the next one.

By *igdodger13Man
over a year ago

sompting

Gareth Williams for me was and looked a hard bastard

By *mma_j_cdTV/TS
over a year ago

chester

For me, and those of you old enough to remember him, would be Wade Dooley

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

From the bigger guys, probably one of the most intimidating forwards of the modern era would have to be that big hair French number 8 Sebastien Chabal.... brutal.

By *etitesaraTV/TS
over a year ago

rochdale

"From the bigger guys, probably one of the most intimidating forwards of the modern era would have to be that big hair French number 8 Sebastien Chabal.... brutal."

Have a photo of me with Msr Chabal after Sale won the 2nd string Euro Cup against Pau.

His hand is on my left shoulder, his thumb next to my neck & his little finger near my elbow..

..which is why he was an international class No8 & I wasn't!

over a year ago

So many excellent players to choose from but I'd have to place Peter Stringer highly amongst them 100% er .

over a year ago

O'driscoll, Richie mccaw and fair play to the allegedly too small to play guys...Shane Williams and halfpenny...They put everything into it.

Depends how you define being hard.

By *icefellatwoMan
over a year ago

hastings

one really hard man from France

Sebastien Chabal

over a year ago

Just to go back a couple of years.....the legend who is Fran Cotton......"Never Stay Down"

over a year ago

micky skinner was part of a very hard era, along with stuart barnes and a few others,

when martin Johnson was interviewed about hard men in the sport and fighting on the pitch, he commented that the hardest man he ever encountered was simon bunting who spent years at Rotherham

over a year ago

Jonah Lomu in his heyday

over a year ago

"Dean Ryan "

Yes, had the pleasure of watching him play for Newcastle quite a few times.... Very tough, ex forces. Good coach too - don't think you'd ever want to be on the wrong side of him!

By *odareyouMan
over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

From league Jamie peacock the man is made of granite,

over a year ago

England's Sam burgess, after playing nearly 80 mins with a fractured cheekbone and eye socket in the nrl grand final

over a year ago

"Not really a rugby fan (played a little schoolboy rugby but never really got into the sport), so don't know names, but I would have thought that the hardest rugby players would not come from the Union game but would be League players. In my opinion a much more physically tough game.

Will be interesting to see if any agree with me. "

I appreciate your point but the league players wear body armour now, not very hard!

over a year ago

Modern players I'd say Richie McCaw, incredible player. I remember watching dalaglio against Wales score a try with 3 players hanging off him! I'll agree with previous posters about the half backs though

over a year ago

Brian Moore has to be included here too , a man of great physical and emotional strength

over a year ago

Agree with Brian Moore. Little bulldog him. Great for England

Also jonah lomu. Size strength speed an all round joy to watch in the 90s

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

Someone has already mentioned Wade Dooley who would be high on my list, but living for years in the Blackpool area I used to occasionally bump into Bill Beaumont (not literally of course)

Lovely bloke but I certainly wouldn't have liked to have got on the wrong side of him.

over a year ago

Kurt Sorenson

By *luezuluMan
over a year ago

Suffolk

That accolade must go to Wayne Shelford of new Zealand, in a game against France in the 80s, he had his scrotum ripped open in a ruck, with one nut literally hanging out, he went over to the bench, had it stitched back up and carried on playing (OUCH)

Willie John McBrides team that toured South Africa in 1974 must also come into the reckoning for being hard, from what I've seen and read, there was no quarter given from both sides.

Bobby Windsor, the great Welsh hooker who was part of that tour, was once quoted as saying " Rugby was a good game, until they let the puffs start playing"

Anyone who plays rugby has my admiration, you have to be either hard or nuts to play it, that's why I was only a mamby pamby footballer

over a year ago

"Ellery Hanley was a tough nut and a highly skillful and quick man in his time. "

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Gareth Thomas (mentally and physically)

over a year ago

"Gareth Thomas (mentally and physically)"

OMG I can't believe I forgot about Gareth Thomas

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

The shame of it.

I'll think of some punishment for you, give me 10 minutes

over a year ago

"The shame of it.

I'll think of some punishment for you, give me 10 minutes"

to be fair my mind wasn't fully functional at 3am

over a year ago

Any front row forward ! Always hard as nails ! Never good looking or given the respect that comes with doing the nasty work in the game !

Mike Teague of Gloucester was a guy who played flanker who never looked big ? In person was a big guy ! One I wouldn't like to be tackled by !

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

jpr williams .... he had his face stamped on repeatedly untill it ripped open by john ashworth when the all cheats played bridgend in '78 .... jpr didn't even flinch. they tried to get him to leave the pitch but he was more concerned about organising the forwards and back line for the next phase of play ..... the most blood i've ever seen in a match

By *horshiper OP   Man
over a year ago

London

How about Sean Fitzpatrick ?

By *bbandflowCouple
over a year ago

South Devon

Depends on the definition of 'hard'..plenty of players have carried on playing with significant injuries...does it mean dirty, but able to take it as well...pro players are much bigger today, but mostly gym muscle...would they be as hard as players back in the day when many had hard physical jobs, miners, steel workers, farmers. Or mentally 'hard' the ability to make good decisions, staying focussed when needed.. lots of so called hardmen crumble when out of their comfort zone.

over a year ago

"Any front row forward ! Always hard as nails ! Never good looking or given the respect that comes with doing the nasty work in the game !

Mike Teague of Gloucester was a guy who played flanker who never looked big ? In person was a big guy ! One I wouldn't like to be tackled by !"

Iron Mike, an absolute legend, World Cup almost destroyed him.

Wade Dooley is up there as are skinner and Moore.

Jim fallon of Leeds, peacock, burgess, Andy Gregory, Sean Edwards, list is endless really

over a year ago

"Brian Moore has to be included here too , a man of great physical and emotional strength "
but dead ugly

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"Not really a rugby fan (played a little schoolboy rugby but never really got into the sport), so don't know names, but I would have thought that the hardest rugby players would not come from the Union game but would be League players. In my opinion a much more physically tough game.

I appreciate your point but the league players wear body armour now, not very hard!"

Didn't know that league players now wear body armour. As you say that makes all the difference.

over a year ago

Me haha

By *bbandflowCouple
over a year ago

South Devon

I appreciate your point but the league players wear body armour now, not very hard!

Didn't know that league players now wear body armour. As you say that makes all the difference."

League players have worn shoulderpads since before WW11..contemporary 'body armour' is worn by both union and league players..so are the players ' not very hard?

over a year ago

They just don't come any harder than Teague and Skinner. Legends!

over a year ago

Richie Gray ...

By *ittykate84Woman
over a year ago

CHESTER

"Just to go back a couple of years.....the legend who is Fran Cotton......"Never Stay Down""

My dad played against Fran when they were both young & broke his nose.. Know who i get my playing dirty streak from

over a year ago

Wudnt lik to face peter clohesy in a scrum

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

Didn't know that league players now wear body armour. As you say that makes all the difference.

League players have worn shoulderpads since before WW11..contemporary 'body armour' is worn by both union and league players..so are the players ' not very hard?"

body armour spreads the force of a blow (giving or receiving) over a much larger compared to being hit without protection, therefore although modern players may be bigger and hit harder the blows will very lightly be less forceful than those given and received in the era prior to the introduction of said armour. To me that makes all the difference.

By *eyshamcoupleCouple
over a year ago

morecambe

Mick skinner was a beast.....

By *uslaffMan
over a year ago

manchester

Jim mills

He(Roy Dickinson) only 19 when he was picked to prop against Jim Mills for the first time, when Jim was at his peak and a frightening sight for us in the stands let alone for those on the pitch.

Roy was taken aside by the Leeds coach Roy Francis and told that he wanted to see some aggression and that the only answer to Jim Mills was to hit him hard in the first tackle to get his respect, he was assured that after that he'd have an easy time, you nust had to hit Jim hard enough for him to know that you meant business, thats all.

Roy says that three minutes into the game a scrum was called and as he took his place in the front row he saw Francis signalling to him with his fist, mouthing the words "hit him Roy". As they packed down Roy was just about to swing an uppercut from his knees when he was hit with something and woke up with the trainer wafting smelling salts under his nose and was told to "get after him Roy, he's making a fool out of you"

The next scrum came up and once again Roy got the instruction from the bench to hit Mills first, they packed down again and smack, Roy got another one on the chin, woke up again with the trainer telling him that Francis had said that if he didn't hit Mills the next time then he'd be substituted.

At the third scrum Roy managed a half hearted punch which missed Mills by miles and as the scrum broke up Mills had Roy in a headlock using his face as a punchbag.

He stopped to tell Roy to pack in the rough stuff and get on with the game, to which Roy, on his knees and bleeding from every pore on his face replied "alright Jim, if you've had enough we call it quits".

By *bbandflowCouple
over a year ago

South Devon

League players have worn shoulderpads since before WW11..contemporary 'body armour' is worn by both union and league players..so are the players ' not very hard?

body armour spreads the force of a blow (giving or receiving) over a much larger compared to being hit without protection, therefore although modern players may be bigger and hit harder the blows will very lightly be less forceful than those given and received in the era prior to the introduction of said armour. To me that makes all the difference. "

I know about modern body armour thanks, as I previously mentioned league players wore shoulder pads back in the day primarily to protect them from the tip tackle which was legal. Until the coming of the professional era shoulder pads were banned in the Union game unless accompanied by a doctor's certificate, and even then was up to the individual referee. Tackling in League historically was invariably more offensive in nature than that of Union, now of course, apart from certain technical variations, this is not the case.

Both codes now wear armour.

It is the accumulation of big hits that is the difference. Where as back in the day there were individual big collisions highlighted in a game, now they are continuous. The game is far more attritional today as confirmed by the injury count.

There were guys playing in the back row for the Lions South Africa tour in 1954 who were weighing in at 12/13 stones. Compare that with 17/18 stone coming at you at pace intending to run all over you.

over a year ago

Big Sam Burgess broke his cheekbone in the first 20 minutes of the grand final, and still played on the whole game and got the Churchill medal for man of the match,

over a year ago

Paul Woods RL Cardiff blue dragons RIP

over a year ago

Also years ago big Jim Mills

By *ethepeopleMan
over a year ago

Near you

Gareth archer

By *all-Eddies QosCouple
over a year ago

wirral

I dont care as long as hes hard

over a year ago

Scott Gibbs.

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

"Scott Gibbs."

was in school with this hardman rugby player .... he was a cock .... he was a fine rugby player but an utter bellend none the less .... if anyone thinks that there is no such thing as a rugby hooligan off the pitch

over a year ago

Garin Jenkins I always remember as a bit of a roughian

over a year ago

Rugby League uses a weird metric in determining that it is the hardest sport.

They appear pleased that their players suffer the most downtime through injury, some 27% of potential playing time.

Odd balls some people have.

By *xpresMan
over a year ago

Elland

Geoff Robinson.. played league for Halifax an Aussie who on his day would fucking destroy any of the above on the pitch he was an Animal but a Gentle Giant off it

By *xpresMan
over a year ago

Elland

"Agree with Brian Moore. Little bulldog him. Great for England

Also jonah lomu. Size strength speed an all round joy to watch in the 90s "

What a load of bollox Moore is as hard as a week old kitten all gob no substance and a total wanker too met him a few times he came from Halifax knew him years ago

over a year ago

Another vote for Jonah lomu, once he got going you could not catch him.

over a year ago

"Agree with Brian Moore. Little bulldog him. Great for England

Also jonah lomu. Size strength speed an all round joy to watch in the 90s

What a load of bollox Moore is as hard as a week old kitten all gob no substance and a total wanker too met him a few times he came from Halifax knew him years ago"

wow, calm down!! its a thread for anyone to comment on, the few times he coached at Yorkshire schoolboys level he came across fine to us and helped out loads

over a year ago

"Ieuan Evans and Shane Williams."

Ieuan Evans and Shane scored all those tries because they were scare of being tackled! Wouldn't say they were hard but brilliant finishers

over a year ago

For me JPR Williams never took a backward step and when playing for Bridgend against the All blacks they Sharpened they're studs on his head resulting in a few dozen stitches! he came back on to run at them again.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"That accolade must go to Wayne Shelford of new Zealand, in a game against France in the 80s, he had his scrotum ripped open in a ruck, with one nut literally hanging out, he went over to the bench, had it stitched back up and carried on playing (OUCH)

"

I was waiting on this answer... as it is the correct one.... in the same game after the "goolies" incident.... he then when on to get concussion in the middle of a fight later on..... stayed on....doesn't remember any of the game....

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Big Sam Burgess broke his cheekbone in the first 20 minutes of the grand final, and still played on the whole game and got the Churchill medal for man of the match, "

actually thats a typo.... broke his cheekbone in the first 2 minutes of that game

over a year ago

"From league Jamie peacock the man is made of granite, "

Big fan of Jamie... a real warrior of the last 15 years.

over a year ago

"Kurt Sorenson "
Good shout...

David Hulme was a tough nut for his size, Andy Gregory

In the last 25 years Leigh had a player Tim Street - all other fans disliked him and Leigh fans loved him.. He was sent off 12 times in his career.

over a year ago

Paul o connell

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

"For me JPR Williams never took a backward step and when playing for Bridgend against the All blacks they Sharpened they're studs on his head resulting in a few dozen stitches! he came back on to run at them again."

actually he was taken off and sent to bridgend general hospital to have his face stitched up ..... the incident happened right in front of me .... i mention what happened earlier in the thread

By *uv2lick11Man
over a year ago

r c t

Anyone remember GEOFF WHEEL! I wouldnt ever like to have played against that hard bastard!

over a year ago

Brian williams "rip" kevin phillips john davies

neath front row 80's into 90's

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

the whole of the 1974 lions team when they toured south africa ..... the "one in, all in" retaliation policy that would happen when the "99" call went up

over a year ago

Paul wood, shattered a testicle in the 2013 grand final and played on, went to hospital after the game had to have it removed

By *uslaffMan
over a year ago

manchester

"Kurt Sorenson Good shout...

David Hulme was a tough nut for his size, Andy Gregory

In the last 25 years Leigh had a player Tim Street - all other fans disliked him and Leigh fans loved him.. He was sent off 12 times in his career."

I grew up with streety,lived over the road from each other . I could write a book about our scrapes,an absolute maniac at 9 years old. He was a hooker as a till he went to Wigan, I played second row,every other scrum,during a game would erupt, everyone would be at it and all you could hear was Streety laughing

A monster.

By *ain n MableWoman
over a year ago

Milton Keynes

Sam Burgess in league is an animal, and Mick "the munch Skinner" in union from the 90's. Both hard as nails, but both fair.

over a year ago

"Following on from the hardest footballers - who are your hardest rugby players."

JPR Williams - end of - lol

By *ain n MableWoman
over a year ago

Milton Keynes

"I dont care as long as hes hard "

Jamais, you always make me laugh x

By *uv2lick11Man
over a year ago

r c t

This aint hard! But memorable about one in all in!! The battle of brive? Ponty boys stuck together!! But omfg u shouldve seen later that nite in the pub lol!

By *ancscpl4funCouple
over a year ago

East Lancs

Gordon Tallis, hard on the pitch. What a guy off it. Got a bollocking off the coach for not coming into the Reebok stadium after the team got off the bus coz he was signing autographs and posing for pics with kids ahead of WCC against St Helens. Adam Fogarty and Sonny Nickle up there too

over a year ago

I wouldnt have wanted to bump into Mal Maninga let alone tackle him.

over a year ago

"Brian williams "rip" kevin phillips john davies

neath front row 80's into 90's"

Brian Williams one of the true characters of the game ! Taken from this earth far to early

over a year ago

Va'aiga Tuigamala

By *uv2lick11Man
over a year ago

r c t

Im in total agreement with u! And never forget the wru wankers for not giving him the minute silence he deserved b4 an international! Yet not metioning no names, they always do and name things and have 'special days!' 4 one lost player! Fucking hypocrites u ask me!

over a year ago

I wonder who Princess Diana would vote for...

Hmmm, that's a hard one.

over a year ago

Scott quinnell or john Eales

over a year ago

"Gareth archer "

If it's the person i went to school with he is one animal of a man did he play for England early 90s?

over a year ago

Oppsss mean 2000s

over a year ago

Brian O'Driscoll

By *ain n MableWoman
over a year ago

Milton Keynes

"Brian O'Driscoll"

Well BOD was a genius, but not really a hard man as i think the OP means.

In BOD we trust!!!

over a year ago

There's been so many hard bstrds that have played in the ARL/NRL to pick just one - but I'll throw Wally Lewis (Brisbane & Queensland) in to the mix!

Post new Message to Thread