Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

people who drive with 2 earphones on

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

In recent times, I've come across so many drivers behind the wheel (driving of course)with a pair of earphones plug in their ears. Wondering whether they are making calls or listening to music.

Isn't that dangerous? Will they hear the siren of the emergency services or even a beep from other road users?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Well it's illegal to begin with

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"Well it's illegal to begin with"

I won't be surprised if such a case goes to court, "they might say no evidence as to it being operational at the tome

over a year ago

No it isn't... nor is it illegal to drive if you are deaf.

having loud music either with or without headphones can be a reason for prosecution IF it is shown that it contributed to an accident, but then so can driving with a cold or hay-fever, as you always close your eyes when sneezing...

over a year ago

A friend of mine is deaf and she legally drives. That's why emergency vehicles have flashing lights as well as the sirens.... I think!

By *tripper9Man
over a year ago

Blackburn

Hi all, and cars have mirrors, so people that can't hear for any reason can look behind them!

over a year ago

It's not illegal just not advisable due to the fact your taking away the fact your unable to hear anything else and you could get caught up in the cables, the only thing that won't allow you to drive is eye sight as you MUST be able to read a number plate from 20 metres if you cannot do that you cannot drive.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I see cyclists riding with earphones in too. I think both are quite dangerous myself. A deaf person interacts with the world with limited hearing in a way that the rest of us don't, deliberately removing or lessening a sense when you are used to using it is senseless in the true meaning of the word.

over a year ago

"I see cyclists riding with earphones in too. I think both are quite dangerous myself. A deaf person interacts with the world with limited hearing in a way that the rest of us don't, deliberately removing or lessening a sense when you are used to using it is senseless in the true meaning of the word."

Same is also true of pedestrians

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

If hey have a slouch hat on I think Soviet Agent and avoid anyone with brollies for the next half a mile.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I see cyclists riding with earphones in too. I think both are quite dangerous myself. A deaf person interacts with the world with limited hearing in a way that the rest of us don't, deliberately removing or lessening a sense when you are used to using it is senseless in the true meaning of the word.

Same is also true of pedestrians"

Yep. A couple of years ago a 17 year old from here got off the bus with earphones in and walked straight in front of it as it drove away.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"If hey have a slouch hat on I think Soviet Agent and avoid anyone with brollies for the next half a mile. "

It's the only sensible course of action.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"I see cyclists riding with earphones in too. I think both are quite dangerous myself. A deaf person interacts with the world with limited hearing in a way that the rest of us don't, deliberately removing or lessening a sense when you are used to using it is senseless in the true meaning of the word."

It annoys me when runners take to the roads and cycle paths like this, they can't hear a cyclist approach.

I ride with 1 ear phone in so I ca n hear the music and the vehicles around me.

over a year ago

"In recent times, I've come across so many drivers behind the wheel (driving of course)with a pair of earphones plug in their ears. Wondering whether they are making calls or listening to music.

Isn't that dangerous? Will they hear the siren of the emergency services or even a beep from other road users?"

Any more dangerous than being in a metal box with your radio on?

over a year ago

I read a study a while ago that said a cyclist with low volume music playing through earphones can still hear more than a car driver with their windows done up and their stereo off.

over a year ago

"Any more dangerous than being in a metal box with your radio on?"

or wearing a fibreglass box on your head stuffed with polystyrene, otherwise known as a crash helmet

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I think that the sensation of having music or speech directly into your ears does cause you to experience other sensory stimuli differently.

over a year ago

For the record I should state that though it is not specifically illegal, my personal opinion is that people should not use headphones of any sort to block out to any degree potential audible warnings whilst moving.

The only exception is dancing (and that is not actually very safe when I am involved!)

Also phones should be automatically disabled in all vehicles as well as any social venue.

and couscous.. Why?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"For the record I should state that though it is not specifically illegal, my personal opinion is that people should not use headphones of any sort to block out to any degree potential audible warnings whilst moving.

The only exception is dancing (and that is not actually very safe when I am involved!)

Also phones should be automatically disabled in all vehicles as well as any social venue.

and couscous.. Why?

"

couscous is delicious

over a year ago

I do hundreds of miles a month on a bike with headphones in. They aren't noise cancelling, just normal iPhone ones and I have no problems hearing what's around me. I also have music VERY loud in the car, but I pay attention. Not an issue as far as I'm concerned.

over a year ago

"couscous is delicious "

Always knew you were a strange one

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"couscous is delicious

Always knew you were a strange one "

Recognition at last

By *iss_Samantha_LovecockTV/TS
over a year ago

bmth /poole sometimes blandford

i do it all the time and i hear and see sirens /flashing lites

whats the difference with that and having you sound system up loud ?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"i do it all the time and i hear and see sirens /flashing lites

whats the difference with that and having you sound system up loud ?"

I wouldn't do it because for me their is a marked difference in my perception of other things. It clearly isn't the same for everyone.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"there" is a marked difference.

Sorry

over a year ago

are deaf people able to drive ?

over a year ago

"i do it all the time and i hear and see sirens /flashing lites

whats the difference with that and having you sound system up loud ?"

But I am a good driver / rider so it's quite rare to have sirens and flashing lights around me

over a year ago

"are deaf people able to drive ?"

Yes, but the blind are discouraged

over a year ago

"are deaf people able to drive ?

Yes, but the blind are discouraged "

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"are deaf people able to drive ?"

yes, I said earlier up the thread that I feel its a different set of circumstances.

over a year ago

going back to the OP's question I think I shall write to my MP to have eating couscous whilst driving walking or cycling a specific offence

Truth is car stereo's have existed for a long time now, as have walkman type portable music systems, they almost definitely contribute to accident rates just as many other things do. Safety is relative just be careful out there and do your best to stay uninjured whilst getting on with having a hopefully good life.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"going back to the OP's question I think I shall write to my MP to have eating couscous whilst driving walking or cycling a specific offence

Truth is car stereo's have existed for a long time now, as have walkman type portable music systems, they almost definitely contribute to accident rates just as many other things do. Safety is relative just be careful out there and do your best to stay uninjured whilst getting on with having a hopefully good life."

yep and eating couscous is conducive, some would say vital to that

over a year ago

""there" is a marked difference.

Sorry "

so what is it ?

many head phones dont block out external noises and most sires nearly deafen me as thy go past

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Sorry

so what is it ?

many head phones dont block out external noises and most sires nearly deafen me as thy go past"

I was only correcting my bad grammar from my previous post.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Sorry

so what is it ?

many head phones dont block out external noises and most sires nearly deafen me as thy go past"

I said that for me there is a marked difference but clearly not for everyone

over a year ago

Sorry

so what is it ?

many head phones dont block out external noises and most sires nearly deafen me as thy go past

I said that for me there is a marked difference but clearly not for everyone "

oh ok sexy

Post new Message to Thread