Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Motorway driving question

Jump to newest

By *UNCHBOX OP   Man
over a year ago

folkestone

Am i right in thinking it is not up to the cars already on the motorway to give way to the cars trying to get onto it from a sliproad?.

Yesterday i had a very angry woman driver who started beeping me and making naughty gestures because i wouldn't move across to the fast lane because she had cocked up her approach by trying to join the motorway behind 2 lorrys. I'd already moved across from the slow lane to allow the lorrys to enter and then overtake them, but didn't see why i should move across another lane just so she could jump straight across to the middle lane behind the lorrys.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I thought it was up to the person on the slip road to either speed up and merge or slow down and merge according to the speed of the traffic and safety etc. Obviously, it's good to move out to allow them in but if you can't, I don't think you should slow and let them in.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

As for moving out again - no fucking chance!!!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I always move over or slow down to let a car join from a slip road. I've seen people run out of road because there is no space between cars to slip into

over a year ago

Spot on, I don't even move over to allow others to join. It's not my responsibility to do so so I continue my progress as usual. Nowhere in the Highway Code does it suggest you should move to allow anyone to join the carriageway or to come to a virtual standstill when someone sits alongside you on the slip road.

over a year ago

If its possible i move over to the right to allow traffic to enter the dual carriage way/ motorway.. just think its the polite thing to do

i'm certainly grateful when others do it for me

over a year ago

The dotted white line at the end of the acceleration lane(slip road) is a give way line. Right of way has always fallen to those already on the carriageway.

over a year ago

give priority to traffic already on the motorway

check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane

not cross solid white lines that separate lanes or use the hard shoulder

stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway

remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking.

Thats what the highway code says anyway

over a year ago

I pull out if it's safe to do so. I think it's a bit of polite give and take. However, if someone was driving like a tit and expecting me to move out to the third lane because of their mistake then no way.

By *ack Genuine BullMan
over a year ago

Loughborough

There have been many drivers lying in a hospital bed who were perfectly "in the right" and entitled to their bit of the road.

Being in the right does not entitle you to behave like a selfish arrogant git behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.

Considerate, courteous, skilful drivers would avoid near-misses or any confrontation, and anticipate the road ahead. Refusing to yield, even when you are in the right, is stupidity.

Just my opinion anyway!

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

Its always down to the puller onner to join the motorway safely

over a year ago

MERGE!!!!!!!

Lol

over a year ago

Motorway driving is all about thinking ahead maybe you should have seen her need to pull over but only if you were clear to do so in your lane ,hate middle lane drivers they cause so many of the problems we have on motorways undertaking etc

By *CoastFunMan
over a year ago

Southampron

"

Considerate, courteous, skilful drivers would avoid near-misses or any confrontation, and anticipate the road ahead. Refusing to yield, even when you are in the right, is stupidity.

Just my opinion anyway! "

You're right but what about the dick coming down the slipway who should have also done the above and not even tried to make the manoeuvre in the first place?

Granted most drivers on the motorway will move to the right if possible but the OP had already gone one lane. IMO twat of a driver coming down the slipway who didn't have right of way in the first place and didn't 'anticipate' the situation ahead leaving them frustrated and having a hissy fit due to their own lack of driving skills.

By *evaquitCouple
over a year ago

Catthorpe

Don't understand why someone wouldn't move over 'a lane' if all is clear to allow someone to join the motorway in a smooth manner, thought that was common courtesy although legally you don't have to, just a bit rude not to in my book.

I reckon you have what you did spot on, sounds like she was being a bit of a pratt expecting you to jump over to the fast line when she's on the slip road, a polite flick of the V's would be the suggested response although not the wisest advice.

(him)

By *indys loverCouple
over a year ago

Stratford on avon

there are considerate motorway drivers

and there are inconsiderate dickheads

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

I find the problem is mainly people not allowing space between vehicles. If everyone is practically bumper to bumper how is anyone supposed to merge?

By *uslaffMan
over a year ago

manchester

I always move over,if it's safe to do so,it costs me nothing,takes little effort and saves the motorway being lit up with brake lights.

You may find traffic at a standstill at the next junction,because someone saw no reason why they should move over !

By *CoastFunMan
over a year ago

Southampron

"I find the problem is mainly people not allowing space between vehicles. If everyone is practically bumper to bumper how is anyone supposed to merge? "

Valid point here DB9. These days I keep my safety distance a decent size on the motorway but you really have to be on your toes if you're in the inside lane approaching exits as people love to use that safety gap to dive through to get off the motorway. It is quite amusing driving along in no particular rush to be anywhere and watch those who have timed leaving their house to a tenth of a second and cannot afford to be held up one iota during their journey.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Totally right - no road user should inconvenience another.

Merging traffic should adjust their driving/speed etc to ensure that they merge safely, when there is space, rather than using an indicator - if used at all - and driving their vehicle like a battering ram, forcing others to let them in regardless.

over a year ago

"Am i right in thinking it is not up to the cars already on the motorway to give way to the cars trying to get onto it from a sliproad?.

Yesterday i had a very angry woman driver who started beeping me and making naughty gestures because i wouldn't move across to the fast lane because she had cocked up her approach by trying to join the motorway behind 2 lorrys. I'd already moved across from the slow lane to allow the lorrys to enter and then overtake them, but didn't see why i should move across another lane just so she could jump straight across to the middle lane behind the lorrys. "

do not get me started on arsehole motorway drivers coming onto the motorway, almost ran into one today who went straight into fast lane without looking or indicating making me break hard. then the stupid cow had the audacity to sit in the middle lane for a good 7 miles ,grrrr. in answer to your question oncoming traffic have to adjust to traffic travelling already on the motorwayand adjust speed accordingly...

over a year ago

Just asked my bro as hes a police sergant. Its the responsibility of the driver already on the motorway to allow the car on the slip road to enter the slip road if its safe to do so. Deliberately obstructing them can be classed as dangerous or careless driving. But its equal responsibility of the person on the slip road to find a safe entrance without forcing cars on the carrigeway to brake or swerve! So the answer to the op is if you can pull out and allow them on yes you do have to according to the cops!

over a year ago

"I find the problem is mainly people not allowing space between vehicles. If everyone is practically bumper to bumper how is anyone supposed to merge? "

I try and leave at least a 2 car space only to find people keep jumping in from other lanes, That's when I start closing the gap

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Part of the issue is that we don't have sufficient road capacity to support people leaving sufficient distance between cars now. If we all did the stopping distance in the highway code, much of the uk motorway network would grind to a standstill.

I like to be courteous and anticipate what other drivers need, making the space for them potentially before they've signalled. Same with allowing space or moving at junctions.

I assume that others don't know the road, or haven't planned their journeys as well as I have, and will make last minute dangerous manoeuvers. Assuming that others are crap drivers is also potentially going to save lives.

That said, there is no justification for any driver to impose their vehicle into your space.

over a year ago

We have noticed this for a while and also noticed it is mainly quite young drivers which leads you to wonder how they are being taught.

We were on the dual carriageway near Farnborough with overtaking traffic and a young woman drove off the slip and very nearly slammed into the side of us, Vixen had to take avoiding action and off the young woman went, not the first time that we have ended making three lanes out of two.

By *CoastFunMan
over a year ago

Southampron

"Just asked my bro as hes a police sergant. Its the responsibility of the driver already on the motorway to allow the car on the slip road to enter the slip road if its safe to do so. Deliberately obstructing them can be classed as dangerous or careless driving. But its equal responsibility of the person on the slip road to find a safe entrance without forcing cars on the carrigeway to brake or swerve! So the answer to the op is if you can pull out and allow them on yes you do have to according to the cops! "

Just as well he isn't a traffic cop! at least I hope he isn't....

. Joining the motorway (259)

Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should:

check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane

remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking.

Those are the rules. Traffic on the motorway doing 70mph has right of way. Some people don't even get up to speed to join the motorway so do you think it wise that people anchor on to let them out?? no.....

over a year ago

"Just asked my bro as hes a police sergant. Its the responsibility of the driver already on the motorway to allow the car on the slip road to enter the slip road if its safe to do so. Deliberately obstructing them can be classed as dangerous or careless driving. But its equal responsibility of the person on the slip road to find a safe entrance without forcing cars on the carrigeway to brake or swerve! So the answer to the op is if you can pull out and allow them on yes you do have to according to the cops!

Just as well he isn't a traffic cop! at least I hope he isn't....

. Joining the motorway (259)

Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should:

Those are the rules. Traffic on the motorway doing 70mph has right of way. Some people don't even get up to speed to join the motorway so do you think it wise that people anchor on to let them out?? no....."

over a year ago

No its not wise to anchor on hence he said without making people brake. He said they should if its safe to do so move over to make room. Its safer and common courtesy. Sitting in the slow lanw to deliberately block them is selfish and dangerous.

Hes a sergant and high speed pursuit driver. If your ever pulled over and try to use the highway code in your defence dont expect to get very far. Its a guideline not an absolute definition!

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Highway Code -

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Think my post was part duplicate of another.

over a year ago

"No its not wise to anchor on hence he said without making people brake. He said they should if its safe to do so move over to make room. Its safer and common courtesy. Sitting in the slow lanw to deliberately block them is selfish and dangerous.

Hes a sergant and high speed pursuit driver. If your ever pulled over and try to use the highway code in your defence dont expect to get very far. Its a guideline not an absolute definition!"

Are you sure?.

By *nleashedCrakenMan
over a year ago

Widnes

"

Chrisma Sassy: If its possible i move over to the right to allow traffic to enter the dual carriage way/ motorway.. just think its the polite thing to do

i'm certainly grateful when others do it for me "

Totally agree. It's not about what you have to do to stay in the law, it's about what's the safest thing to do

over a year ago

"No its not wise to anchor on hence he said without making people brake. He said they should if its safe to do so move over to make room. Its safer and common courtesy. Sitting in the slow lanw to deliberately block them is selfish and dangerous.

Hes a sergant and high speed pursuit driver. If your ever pulled over and try to use the highway code in your defence dont expect to get very far. Its a guideline not an absolute definition!"

Taken from gov.uk. I think it's safe to say that they ARE rules, not guidelines.

'Many of the rules in The Highway Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence. See an explanation of the abbreviations.

Although failure to comply with the other rules of The Highway Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts (see The road user and the law) to establish liability. This includes rules which use advisory wording such as ‘should/should not’ or ‘do/do not’.

over a year ago

Moving over to the middle lane if it's safe is just common courtesy same as letting people out at junctions

By *CoastFunMan
over a year ago

Southampron

Being courteous is different to the rules. I'd hope we all try to be as courteous as possible and in the OP's case he moved out to allow people to merge yet still got abuse, which he should not have.

It's a shame that people are taught the rules of the highway code if they are complete bollocks. Must mean that the theory test is a complete scam?!

I wouldn't need to use the highway code either, if a car coming from a minor road collided with me on a major (where I have right of way) the incident isn't my fault.

I think the point here is why most people do act courteously, and from what the OP states he made an effort, some people are just compete idiots and have absolutely no idea what the basic rules are for driving on UK roads. From the OP's statement I class the driver of the merging vehicle to be one of these said idiots.

Anyway can you get us a list of the 'actual' rules of the road because I'd be interested to read them

By *CoastFunMan
over a year ago

Southampron

"Think my post was part duplicate of another. "

I copy pasted a little quicker

over a year ago

"I always move over or slow down to let a car join from a slip road. I've seen people run out of road because there is no space between cars to slip into "

over a year ago

Hes a sergant and high speed pursuit driver. If your ever pulled over and try to use the highway code in your defence dont expect to get very far. Its a guideline not an absolute definition!

Are you sure?. "

Ive just repeated what he told me. Yes Im sure thats his job if thats what your asking. He is based in Bristol.

By *wiftieeMan
over a year ago

near Glasgow

Unfortunately, too many motorists are incapable of understanding the simplest of instructions, and facts.

The lines at the end of a slip road, where it joins the major road, are GIVE WAY lines. Simple! End of story!

Yes, if someone already on the major road moves over into a lane to their right, then that's courtesy and decency, but it's purely the choice of that person.

over a year ago

"Being courteous is different to the rules. I'd hope we all try to be as courteous as possible and in the OP's case he moved out to allow people to merge yet still got abuse, which he should not have.

It's a shame that people are taught the rules of the highway code if they are complete bollocks. Must mean that the theory test is a complete scam?!

I wouldn't need to use the highway code either, if a car coming from a minor road collided with me on a major (where I have right of way) the incident isn't my fault.

"

Now we are in iffy territory.

I know of several people who have had accidents where people have come out of junctions and struck them and it was deemed that partial responsibility was with the driver on the main road as he, or she,should of been aware of the junction ahead and the hazards arising.

over a year ago

"

I know of several people who have had accidents where people have come out of junctions and struck them and it was deemed that partial responsibility was with the driver on the main road as he, or she,should of been aware of the junction ahead and the hazards arising. "

Exactly! Thats what my bro meant by it not being absolute. Saying "I was following the highway code" wont get you off if common sense wasnt also applied.

By *CoastFunMan
over a year ago

Southampron

"

I know of several people who have had accidents where people have come out of junctions and struck them and it was deemed that partial responsibility was with the driver on the main road as he, or she,should of been aware of the junction ahead and the hazards arising. "

It does get a little iffy but only because of insurance companies trying to squirm out of accepting full responsibility and a lot of the time trying it on. This happened to my brother and his accident was on a roundabout which is even iffier. The drivers insurance company started at 50/50 then 70/30 then wanted to go to court, fine we said. Two weeks before court got the call they accept 100% blame. I'm sure many cases are like this. The really iffy one is when someone pulls out due to someone leaving an indicator on....Whilst we are taught not to ever trust an indicator many people do.

over a year ago

I always move over a lane if there an upcoming junction/merging slip road ahead. Its much easier than;

A) a merging car slowing down the motorway traffic; not all cars can get to the required speed on all roads.

B) a merging car having to brake because they've run out of slip road and no one would let them in.

C) a merging car pulling into the slow lane regardless as they won't A) or B)

By *UNCHBOX OP   Man
over a year ago

folkestone

"There have been many drivers lying in a hospital bed who were perfectly "in the right" and entitled to their bit of the road.

Being in the right does not entitle you to behave like a selfish arrogant git behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.

Just my opinion anyway! "

Just to clarify, as i imagine this is directed at me, i couldn't move over to the fast lane as there were 4 or 5 cars travelling at 85-90mph coming behind me, and i was in middle lane, to a allow the lorrys to merve ahead of her, and also overtake said lorrys for me to then move back into the slow lane once id overtaken them.

She basically didn't want to slow down to merge in behind the lorrys but instead wanted to come straight over 2 lanes to the middle lane. I didn't think it was safe to move across to the fast lane so i didnt. I also done this when ive been in the slow lane and i've got heavy traffic behind me in the middle lane, i'm not going to risk crashing into another car moving across just because a car coming onto the motorway cannot judge their speed/distance properly.

over a year ago

Blimey, so she came off the slip and tried to force you across from the middle lane?

No way is that right.

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Was she good looking?

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Most people are considerate and read the road so move over so people can join the motorway.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"There have been many drivers lying in a hospital bed who were perfectly "in the right" and entitled to their bit of the road.

Just my opinion anyway!

Just to clarify, as i imagine this is directed at me, i couldn't move over to the fast lane as there were 4 or 5 cars travelling at 85-90mph coming behind me, and i was in middle lane, to a allow the lorrys to merve ahead of her, and also overtake said lorrys for me to then move back into the slow lane once id overtaken them.

She basically didn't want to slow down to merge in behind the lorrys but instead wanted to come straight over 2 lanes to the middle lane. I didn't think it was safe to move across to the fast lane so i didnt. I also done this when ive been in the slow lane and i've got heavy traffic behind me in the middle lane, i'm not going to risk crashing into another car moving across just because a car coming onto the motorway cannot judge their speed/distance properly. "

To be fair your first post didn't say that, it said "but didn't see why i should move across another lane just so she could jump straight across to the middle lane behind the lorrys."

over a year ago

"Most people are considerate and read the road so move over so people can join the motorway. "
yes most don't treat the road as some battle of who's right and who's wrong. Just make it work without feeling the need to pretend you've never made a mistake and put others at risk of death or serious injury.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Most people are considerate and read the road so do move over so people can join the motorway or move lanes

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Most people are considerate and read the road so move over so people can join the motorway. yes most don't treat the road as some battle of who's right and who's wrong. ."

By *UNCHBOX OP   Man
over a year ago

folkestone

"Blimey, so she came off the slip and tried to force you across from the middle lane?

No way is that right. "

Basically she wanted to come straight into the middle lane from the slip road, and just stay there (which is what she did for about 7 miles so did the minimum of overtaking.

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

"We have noticed this for a while and also noticed it is mainly quite young drivers which leads you to wonder how they are being taught.

We were on the dual carriageway near Farnborough with overtaking traffic and a young woman drove off the slip and very nearly slammed into the side of us, Vixen had to take avoiding action and off the young woman went, not the first time that we have ended making three lanes out of two. "

As a learner driver you aren't taught how to drive on a motorway. At best it is assumed you have read the Highway Code and know the theory behind motorway driving, at worse no one gives a shit because you are deemed to be competant as you have passed a test.

By *0hnnyBrav0Man
over a year ago

Great Wyrley

"Am i right in thinking it is not up to the cars already on the motorway to give way to the cars trying to get onto it from a sliproad?.

Yesterday i had a very angry woman driver who started beeping me and making naughty gestures because i wouldn't move across to the fast lane because she had cocked up her approach by trying to join the motorway behind 2 lorrys. I'd already moved across from the slow lane to allow the lorrys to enter and then overtake them, but didn't see why i should move across another lane just so she could jump straight across to the middle lane behind the lorrys. "

Happens daily.

From what I was taught on my advanced driving, yes it is up to the person on the slip road to accelerate to the correct speed to adjoin the the carriageway safely.

It is however courteous but not a necessity of the driver on the motorway or duel carriageway to reduce speed/accelerate/move over if they see an unsafe situation where that the driver on the slip road is having problems adjoining BUT only if it is safe to do so.

So pretty much 80% of the time dickheads on the slip road create the problems by not paying attention or not having the correct road awareness and don't accelerate properly.

By *S_PennyTV/TS
over a year ago

Selby

"Motorway driving is all about thinking ahead maybe you should have seen her need to pull over but only if you were clear to do so in your lane ,hate middle lane drivers they cause so many of the problems we have on motorways undertaking etc "

All driving is about this. If you do a motorcycle test you are taught defensive driving as invariably car drivers think they have the right of way over motorbikes and think we can stop on a sixpence.

If in my car I will pull out if safe to do so but otherwise fuck em. Had some nutter undertake me off a slip road the other day, nearly took the front of my car off he was that close. Just pure idiocy.

Thing that boils my blood is the people that stay in the centre lane despite there being 3 lanes. Sometimes you just wish you had a car like James Bond just to blow them off the bloody road.

And relax.....

By *avebi48Man
over a year ago

Lordswood

should've just slowed to match the lorry's speed and kept her there behind them

You moved one lane over, she's no right to expect to jump 2 lanes just as she's joined the flow, selfish driving on her part, see so much of that on the roads these days

By *UNCHBOX OP   Man
over a year ago

folkestone

Yesterday i had a very angry woman driver who started beeping me and making naughty gestures because i wouldn't move across to the fast lane because she had cocked up her approach by trying to join the motorway behind 2 lorrys. I'd already moved across from the slow lane to allow the lorrys to enter and then overtake them, but didn't see why i should move across another lane just so she could jump straight across to the middle lane behind the lorrys.

should've just slowed to match the lorry's speed and kept her there behind them

You moved one lane over, she's no right to expect to jump 2 lanes just as she's joined the flow, selfish driving on her part, see so much of that on the roads these days "

At the time i did think to myself why is she having a go at me, when the only reason im in the middle lane is to allow her and the lorrys to join.

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman
over a year ago

Deviant City

"If its possible i move over to the right to allow traffic to enter the dual carriage way/ motorway.. just think its the polite thing to do

i'm certainly grateful when others do it for me "

this

By *athnBobCouple
over a year ago

sandwell

No such thing as a 'slow' or 'fast' lane.

Just lanes 1,2 and 3 although some people do seem to think it lorries lane, people who can't drive lane and the BMW, Audi and Merc lane

over a year ago

I was very nearly taken out on my bike the other night, I was in lane 3 ( the fast lane) and car came from a slip road and shot straight across into my lane, if I didn't see it coming I'd have been slammed side on into the barrier, fuckwit

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

From what I can remember of my highway code.

The person already on the carriageway is the stand on person, the person joining the carriageway has to wait for a safe opportunity to join. Expecting cars already on the carriageway to move for them is dead wrong, but bad habits creep in and it becomes the norm.

By *avebi48Man
over a year ago

Lordswood

"I was very nearly taken out on my bike the other night, I was in lane 3 ( the fast lane) and car came from a slip road and shot straight across into my lane, if I didn't see it coming I'd have been slammed side on into the barrier, fuckwit "

been there in a car, she joined at very high speed straight across till she realised she was going to run out of road and had to swerve back left. Shocking the gestures these women make at you innit!

I just hung her out to dry in the middle lane and when she did manage to pull out behind me she was stuck till it was time for me to exit off a slip 10 miles down the road lol

Post new Message to Thread