Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Toffee nosed rif raf

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

From reading threads and media news it's blatantly obvious that there's a sense of animosity towards so called "Upper class just as much as the long held belief that they look down at the "working class" (dated term).

So what's more prevalent...classic snobbery or reverse snobbery? I believe the later in this country.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Veneration of the humble bacon butty is the most prevalent thing in this country.

over a year ago

"Veneration of the humble bacon butty is the most prevalent thing in this country. "
ill flag it up...but you have a point....Brown or white ? Red or brown ?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I am not sure that we have a class system much anymore.

over a year ago

I actually think certainly in my experience that the real upper classes inherited genial upper classes are amongst the nicest people you can meet ,it's a small section of the middle classes I have a beef with xxx we do unfortunately have a class system but some never seem to scale the wall to find out

over a year ago

I think we do - but it started eroding at the end of the first world war and has continued, thankfully!

As i fit somewhere in the middle, i've encountered both snobbery from the upper classes and reverse snobbery from others. Neither is fun - and completely un-necessary imho! Xx

over a year ago

"I am not sure that we have a class system much anymore. "

So is it purely cultural differences that keep us diverse? Or do we identify differences between us based purely on material possessions and tastes?

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

yup on here,...... someone who has been born into wealth, worked hard to achieve wealth, consider themselves a professional are doomed.........

doomed, I say......

By *S_PennyTV/TS
over a year ago

Selby

"I am not sure that we have a class system much anymore. "

Oh we do. You only have to attend the Russell Group universities to see it alive and kicking.

over a year ago

Feck. ..I'm doomed...trying to sound working class.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

" From reading threads and media news it's blatantly obvious that there's a sense of animosity towards so called "Upper class just as much as the long held belief that they look down at the "working class" (dated term).

So what's more prevalent...classic snobbery or reverse snobbery? I believe the later in this country."

I agree with you

over a year ago

I think it's because we see phrases like, worked hard for their wealth (which implies someone on poverty wages in not being financially exploited but is rather not working hard) and that people churn out kids for welfare (forgetting that children are hard work and cost money), and not understanding that many people in poverty are living hand to mouth with no disposable income, really don't help. The media, and this government should be ashamed of itself.

If people are overly sympathetic towards those lower class than them then that's good, because they are the ones that hold more power for helping the poor out of poverty, and i'm well aware that throughout history most of our rights have been taken away, or taken back and given to us by them.

On a most serious note, violent attacks on disabled people have gone up a lot the past few years and the media, and this government are thought to be the blame for that.

over a year ago

I'm not aware of those facts ? Why are the media and government to blame for this. Surely it's the fault of the perpetrators?

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"I think it's because we see phrases like, worked hard for their wealth (which implies someone on poverty wages in not being financially exploited but is rather not working hard) and that people churn out kids for welfare (forgetting that children are hard work and cost money), "

I used the phrase and it was because many people do work hard to achieve wealth.

and some people do churn out ( your words ) for welfare... and that is their choice.

over a year ago

Both. Some people look down on everyone.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

" I'm not aware of those facts ? Why are the media and government to blame for this. Surely it's the fault of the perpetrators? "

It's a difficult question this one.

Lot's of people perceive those of a different class to be better than them, this makes them feel inferior and the only way they have of expressing this is to pretend that they are actually superior.

We don't think that anyone is better or worse than us in terms of their humanity (for want of a better word) but some people aren't deserving of our respect regardless of station in life, wealth or achievement.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"Both. Some people look down on everyone. "

I do it so well though

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Both. Some people look down on everyone. "

why do you think I drag a step ladder round with me

over a year ago

Inverted snobbery, definitely. Having been to the 'right' school, I have suffered this and find it is one of the only 'isms' that can go unpunished nowadays.

Currently, there is a thread running unrelated to this in which people complain about Eton and the old school tie. My schooling has actually closed doors to me, not opened any.

Consider the Labour party condemning Cameron at the last election as "Posh boy". That was seen as vote winning, rather than tackling policies like public sector cutbacks. Had he been gay/ethnic minority or castigated for coming from a working class background, it would be seen as being reprehensible. Yet "Posh boy" was okay. I see all negative feelings towards others as being bad news. Matt

over a year ago

"Both. Some people look down on everyone.

I do it so well though "

I didn't say it was a bad thing.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"Inverted snobbery, definitely. Having been to the 'right' school, I have suffered this and find it is one of the only 'isms' that can go unpunished nowadays.

Currently, there is a thread running unrelated to this in which people complain about Eton and the old school tie. My schooling has actually closed doors to me, not opened any.

Consider the Labour party condemning Cameron at the last election as "Posh boy". That was seen as vote winning, rather than tackling policies like public sector cutbacks. Had he been gay/ethnic minority or castigated for coming from a working class background, it would be seen as being reprehensible. Yet "Posh boy" was okay. I see all negative feelings towards others as being bad news. Matt"

a very good post

over a year ago

" I'm not aware of those facts ? Why are the media and government to blame for this. Surely it's the fault of the perpetrators? "

A lot more misinformation from the press, they focus on the very small minority of people who take the piss out of welfare (fair enough, it is news when something shocking and rare happens) and then they follow it up with twisted or vague figures that don't show the whole picture and are only there to skew people into thinking something else is going on. Say the amount of money spent on welfare, for instance...this mostly is the NHS (free to anyone, even the wealthy, and is there so the population is healthier ovrall) and pensioners (who paid in all their lives to claim this money), but without breaking down these figures they're all lumped into the immigrant, the single mum with 13 kids and the disabled, and hatred of these people is encouraged in the media. Propaganda gives the perpetrator validation of how he feels and allows them to act on it and feel validated about that too. In the same way that rapists justify their victim was asking for it.

over a year ago

"Both. Some people look down on everyone.

why do you think I drag a step ladder round with me "

I just thought it was some weird fetish thing.

over a year ago

"I think it's because we see phrases like, worked hard for their wealth (which implies someone on poverty wages in not being financially exploited but is rather not working hard) and that people churn out kids for welfare (forgetting that children are hard work and cost money),

I used the phrase and it was because many people do work hard to achieve wealth.

and some people do churn out ( your words ) for welfare... and that is their choice."

It wasn't a personal attack on you, it was an attack on what people say (you can be included in that). The majority of families on welfare work, they work so in my opinion they deserve to be paid fairly and that is the point i am making. Nobody works to live in poverty and they shouldn't be expected to.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"I think it's because we see phrases like, worked hard for their wealth (which implies someone on poverty wages in not being financially exploited but is rather not working hard) and that people churn out kids for welfare (forgetting that children are hard work and cost money),

and some people do churn out ( your words ) for welfare... and that is their choice.

It wasn't a personal attack on you, it was an attack on what people say (you can be included in that). The majority of families on welfare work, they work so in my opinion they deserve to be paid fairly and that is the point i am making. Nobody works to live in poverty and they shouldn't be expected to."

ok

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

In my head I'm working class. I came from a poor working class background. I am the only one in my family to have gone to university and work in a profession. I speak well but with the flat vowels associated with the North.

I have encountered snobbery from both ends of the spectrum. From some working class people who accused me of 'getting above' myself, to those 'above' me looking down - mainly based on the way I speak.

That said, I don't give a stuff. The people who know me and who I care for are proud of me and accept me as I am.

From an 'Educating Rita'.

over a year ago

It wasn't a personal attack on you, it was an attack on what people say (you can be included in that). The majority of families on welfare work, they work so in my opinion they deserve to be paid fairly and that is the point i am making. Nobody works to live in poverty and they shouldn't be expected to.

ok"

No problem. Things don't always come across as they should on the internet and i often have trouble explaining what i really mean anyway. Glad that's sorted.

over a year ago

George looks down on a lot of folk but then he's 6ft 2 with his boots on !!

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I don't care what someone's background is, it's the person that's important. Those of us who respect others see beyond the superficial.

If I was thought to be a snob it would only be about disliking those who don't care for or respect their fellow citizens.

I think there's some insecurities that people have, but that's their issue and it may surface as snobbery/class distrust etc, but that's all surface coverage.

We're evolving and there's more understanding and accepting of others now imo. If others don't suit you, there have never been more others to move onto.

Post new Message to Thread