Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Emily Thornberry Tweet ?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

A lot has been made of the white van man eliminate but my hunch is that her real target was the St George Flags ! labour just can't accept that the English have an identity just like the Scots and Welsh have

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I think it's more of a case that politicians shouldn't be let loose on social media

been many an occasion when they've shot themselves in the foot

over a year ago

"A lot has been made of the white van man eliminate but my hunch is that her real target was the St George Flags ! labour just can't accept that the English have an identity just like the Scots and Welsh have "

More like Labour don't want us to have a national identity!

over a year ago

It's very hard to shoehorn you into an EU superstate with no borders while your all nationalistic.

I'm not particularly keen on over zealous nationalism but then I detest the thought of that undemocratic quasi quagmire of backslapping bribing eurocrats.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

just a load of drama....

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

the problem is that the st georges flag has kinda been "stolen" by other groups.... so that is not looked at in the same way the st davids or st andrews flags.... which is half the problem

the tweet was stupid and silly... if she had been up something witty like "why ruin the st georges flag by putting a west ham united crest in the middle" (which one of the flags did!)" no one would have batted an eyelid.... but because she left it blank people drew their own conclusions....

anyway he made his money from it now (bloody flag with "the sun" in the middle) he isn't complaining and has gotten his 15 seconds of fame from it.....

By *anesjhCouple
over a year ago

LONDON.

"A lot has been made of the white van man eliminate but my hunch is that her real target was the St George Flags ! labour just can't accept that the English have an identity just like the Scots and Welsh have

More like Labour don't want us to have a national identity!"

over a year ago

"the problem is that the st georges flag has kinda been "stolen" by other groups.... so that is not looked at in the same way the st davids or st andrews flags.... which is half the problem

the tweet was stupid and silly... if she had been up something witty like "why ruin the st georges flag by putting a west ham united crest in the middle" (which one of the flags did!)" no one would have batted an eyelid.... but because she left it blank people drew their own conclusions....

anyway he made his money from it now (bloody flag with "the sun" in the middle) he isn't complaining and has gotten his 15 seconds of fame from it....."

. I think you have a valid point about the flag been Stolen assume you mean bnp , edl ect , an I like the West Ham bit

By *carineMan
over a year ago

Armthorpe, Doncaster

Draping the exterior of your house with flags is just vulgar.

over a year ago

The government both party's,have been at this little game for years.

They chip away national identity when it doesn't suit them (joining the EU superstate).

Then ramp it up with passion over things like remembrance day, royal weddings when they need to invade somewhere.... They hate you flying a flag but ohhh do they love flying one at half mast when it suits them

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

To be honest I didn't think the tweet itself should have caused that much fuss, (bloody hell I sound like I'm defending the Labour party ) but Milliband's over the top reaction told us much more about how the Labour party sees itself these days.

The party is dominated by a "Quasi Marxist" Islington elite of which Thornbury, with her cut glass accent and 3 million quid house, is a leading light. They know that they need to appeal to "white van man" or "Mondeo man" call him what you will, but they also know that they have nothing in common with him and deep down they despise him. Thornbury's only crime was letting the cat out of the bag.

Then to cap it all they have the gall to call the Tory's "Posh Boys"

By *anesjhCouple
over a year ago

LONDON.

"To be honest I didn't think the tweet itself should have caused that much fuss, (bloody hell I sound like I'm defending the Labour party ) but Milliband's over the top reaction told us much more about how the Labour party sees itself these days.

The party is dominated by a "Quasi Marxist" Islington elite of which Thornbury, with her cut glass accent and 3 million quid house, is a leading light. They know that they need to appeal to "white van man" or "Mondeo man" call him what you will, but they also know that they have nothing in common with him and deep down they despise him. Thornbury's only crime was letting the cat out of the bag.

Then to cap it all they have the gall to call the Tory's "Posh Boys""

...well said.

over a year ago

"To be honest I didn't think the tweet itself should have caused that much fuss, (bloody hell I sound like I'm defending the Labour party ) but Milliband's over the top reaction told us much more about how the Labour party sees itself these days.

Then to cap it all they have the gall to call the Tory's "Posh Boys""

. Exactly

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"Draping the exterior of your house with flags is just vulgar."

Personally I would agree, but I would defend anybody's right to do so if they wish.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Thornberry grew up on a council estate with working class parents.

Because she lives in a good part of Islington and speaks well she has become "cut glass accented elite"?

That's snobbery too.

I don't particularly rate her as a politician and I think this was a daft over-dramatisation of a tweet. It could have been read as white van man patriotic but the shouty indignant protests by Ed and others was an own goal.

However, my point is that the backlash on this says more about our society than her picture: everyone wants people to stay in their own class silos.

over a year ago

"Draping the exterior of your house with flags is just vulgar.

Personally I would agree, but I would defend anybody's right to do so if they wish."

You don't need to defend them. its their fucking right to do it.

Ed balls,Yvette cooper,David Cameron, George Osborne and ed miliband all went to Oxford within 3 years of each other (some in the same classes) all studying philosophy, politics and economics.

And you wonder why their all robots with the same ideology and and accents.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Personally I would agree, but I would defend anybody's right to do so if they wish..

Ed balls,Yvette cooper,David Cameron, George Osborne and ed miliband all went to Oxford within 3 years of each other (some in the same classes) all studying philosophy, politics and economics.

And you wonder why their all robots with the same ideology and and accents."

Now I agree that taking people from a narrow university subject and place creates a similar ideology but we also hold Oxbridge as the elite universities to which you have to be the best to get to. That's the benchmark being set for our students all the time.

More inverted snobbery?

over a year ago

Personally I would agree, but I would defend anybody's right to do so if they wish..

Isn't studying PPE ideal? I'd prefer a politician with a relevant education, over one that studied something like Applied Golf Management Studies...

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

Inverted snobbery? On a thread that accuses the Labour party of being the snobs? Oh the irony.

By *otlovefun42Couple
over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"Thornberry grew up on a council estate with working class parents.

Because she lives in a good part of Islington and speaks well she has become "cut glass accented elite"?

That's snobbery too.

I don't particularly rate her as a politician and I think this was a daft over-dramatisation of a tweet. It could have been read as white van man patriotic but the shouty indignant protests by Ed and others was an own goal.

However, my point is that the backlash on this says more about our society than her picture: everyone wants people to stay in their own class silos."

Bet you wouldn't say that if she was a Tory

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I am going to defend Cooper and milliband a little here as they came from Comps to go to oxford..... the other 3 went to private schools...

the amount of people who come from comps that got into oxford or cambridge back then is a lot smaller than it is now.... if they were smart enough to get in... good on them

over a year ago

"Thornberry grew up on a council estate with working class parents.

That's snobbery too.

However, my point is that the backlash on this says more about our society than her picture: everyone wants people to stay in their own class silos."

I couldn't agree more.

Take the tweet in isolation without any comment or Ed reaction. What would your personal thoughts be?

Your personal thoughts and assumptions reflect you. The tweet could have been interpreted in many ways, Miliband and others chose a particularly negative interpretation.

over a year ago

"Inverted snobbery? On a thread that accuses the Labour party of being the snobs? Oh the irony. "

Indeed... a thread about snobbery, where a poster exhibits the exact trait that they themselves are condemning. Odd, but hypocrisy is rife within the human condition.

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

_abio ..... just one correction .... the welsh flag isn't the st david flag .... it is called "y ddraig goch" and was the emblem of harri tudur (born in pembroke) who became the welsh speaking king henry 7th .... it's recieved official status as the flag of wales in 1959, churchill was very vocal in his diapproval about it to . previous to this wales was disallowed from having a national flag by the english government.... the flag of st david is a yellow cross on a black background

glad that's cleared up

over a year ago

Let's get over this misconception that we need "genius" to run a country... We don't we need

democracy, that's the opinions and thoughts of all, not the highly educated with the whiff of I know best. If you don't like the thoughts of the uneducated try free education but then the educated are a little harder to hoodwink!

I can happily live under any system and any political persuasion,I have done for many years.

Napoleon liked governance for the people not by the people and quite frankly it's never changed, it's just got a better pr team these days.

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I think plastering your house in flags is a bit naff, personally.

over a year ago

"I think plastering your house in flags is a bit naff, personally. "
that's what it boils down to. If average Jo or Jodie made the tweet no one would give a care.

over a year ago

It's giant slaying, people delight in it. Any chance to trip up the financial and political elite. It feels good knowing that we have that power. Also that they are stupid enough to allow themselves to be in that position.

Let's be fair how many of us have called some one a chav, or looked in wonder at a council house totally covered by Xmas lights.

The difference is that I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, I spent part of my childhood in a council house, and I don't potentially have the power to afect all your lives.

So it's a good thing I think, teach her a lesson, be a snob just don't do it on a public forum, otherwise the whole world will see you for the out of touch privileged bofoon you are.

Post new Message to Thread