Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

tax refund email

Jump to newest

By *odareyou OP   Man
over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

I thought get in.... Loadsa money..

Then I read the email and it was a scam wanted my bank details etc....being a sceptic I thought hang on a minute Hmrc already have these...

Quick call to the tax man and its a scam so no refund but my bank details are safe...

If it sounds too good to be true it probably is...

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icefellatwoMan
over a year ago

hastings

"I thought get in.... Loadsa money..

Then I read the email and it was a scam wanted my bank details etc....being a sceptic I thought hang on a minute Hmrc already have these...

Quick call to the tax man and its a scam so no refund but my bank details are safe...

"

I had one the other day about getting gold out of Afghanistan !

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

There's a dodgy, fake, gas bill going round at the moment as well. Wonder how much money they actually make off these things?

over a year ago

My friends email got hacked and several of us got emails from him stating he had lost his wallet while on holiday in the Ukraine and could we kindly send him £300 so he could make his way home. This bloke hasn't left Canning Town for thirty years so I knew it was a scam. Also the dreadful spelling and grammar were a clue, he's a deputy head.

By *icefellatwoMan
over a year ago

hastings

"My friends email got hacked and several of us got emails from him stating he had lost his wallet while on holiday in the Ukraine and could we kindly send him £300 so he could make his way home. This bloke hasn't left Canning Town for thirty years so I knew it was a scam. Also the dreadful spelling and grammar were a clue, he's a deputy head. "

Yes I had that one a couple of years ago

dodgy one

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/11/14 10:04:15]

over a year ago

I just received a letter about claiming for things i pay out for my job. I cant work out if its a scam or not.

By *hortieWoman
over a year ago

Northampton

OP I know you already know (now lol)

But please, anyone receiving an email claiming to be from HMRC - do not click on anything in that email!! HMRC will NEVER notify you of any rebate via email.

Give them a ring instead, ask them to check if you are due a rebate, and ask them for an email address you can cc the scam email to, so they can investigate it - please do not simply delete it!!

By *hortieWoman
over a year ago

Northampton

"I just received a letter about claiming for things i pay out for my job. I cant work out if its a scam or not."

phone the tax office. There are lots of things you can claim relief for (i.e - laundering uniforms - particulary when they are company or trade specific and you have either purchased them yourselves, you can claim for tools from toolbox equipment to hairdressing equipment)

you can claim all this yourself.. you do not need to go through a 3rd party to do it, and waste money through them. (assuming the letter you got isn't direct from HMRC - which i guess is unlikely).

By *ogistical NightmaresCouple
over a year ago

Manchester Area

"I thought get in.... Loadsa money..

"

Welcome to the wonderful world of email..... that scam has been doing the rounds for at least 5 years.

By *odareyou OP   Man
over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

"OP I know you already know (now lol)

But please, anyone receiving an email claiming to be from HMRC - do not click on anything in that email!! HMRC will NEVER notify you of any rebate via email.

Give them a ring instead, ask them to check if you are due a rebate, and ask them for an email address you can cc the scam email to, so they can investigate it - please do not simply delete it!! "

Yep I've forwarded to the Web address the lady gave me, it's marked as phishing in my Gmail account as well..

Post new Message to Thread