Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

We Are Not Alone

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Would a genuine very public irrefutable alien landing be good for humankind or bad.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

we will be fine unless they watch Towie, they will flee for their lives before sharing any benefits

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Depends on whether they shot to kill or the Americans did.. You reminded me of the 1980s song - "Star Trekkin"... haha

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Depends if they were let in or not, after all they might just be coming here for the housing benefits

By *all-Eddies QosCouple
over a year ago

wirral

Health tourism

over a year ago

Hope so, but I suspect if we ever discover proof of astrobiology , it'll be microbial.. which is more likely as it's hard for life to take hold, even less likely for intelligent life, but the latter would sure be interesting!

over a year ago

It is believed that we are the most intelligent species on the planet and yet when our pioneers found new Land or territories on earth they invariably stole it and claimed it's resources, why would aliens be any different?

over a year ago

"Would a genuine very public irrefutable alien landing be good for humankind or bad."

Initially very, very bad. In the long term, good. There are many plausible theories by noted scientists on why aliens would visit Earth - none of them are good for humanity, but you never know

over a year ago

Travel on the underground they are here already

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

UKIP would go nuts if they landed here.

over a year ago

"It is believed that we are the most intelligent species on the planet and yet when our pioneers found new Land or territories on earth they invariably stole it and claimed it's resources, why would aliens be any different? "

Quite so.

over a year ago

"Hope so, but I suspect if we ever discover proof of astrobiology , it'll be microbial.. which is more likely as it's hard for life to take hold, even less likely for intelligent life, but the latter would sure be interesting!"

We don't know if it's hard for life to take hold, the multi-verse is on the balance of probability teaming with intelligent life.

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"Would a genuine very public irrefutable alien landing be good for humankind or bad."

Who knows would depend upon the alien and their behaviour is not predictable x

over a year ago

I thought some might lighten the topic with quips about immigration, don't you realise that its likely such issues and concerns would quickly become a thing of the past?

over a year ago

"UKIP would go nuts if they landed here. "

But farage would probably employ one as his new PA before trying to send them back

over a year ago

"Would a genuine very public irrefutable alien landing be good for humankind or bad.

Who knows would depend upon the alien and their behaviour is not predictable x"

Very true, but what do you think our reaction would be to each other?

over a year ago

"Would a genuine very public irrefutable alien landing be good for humankind or bad.

Who knows would depend upon the alien and their behaviour is not predictable x

Very true, but what do you think our reaction would be to each other? "

man kind being what it is we would no doubt try to kill them they cut one up to see how it works

humans are not good at co existing

over a year ago

I'd imagine people would be shit scared and start shooting them! Bit like the way we treat one another and animals, basically!

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

If they are going to visit I sincerely hope they wait a couple of thousand years when hopefully we will have realised the follies of war, extremism and other shitty traits we still have are pointless and that looking after this place we all live on is more important..

over a year ago

"It is believed that we are the most intelligent species on the planet and yet when our pioneers found new Land or territories on earth they invariably stole it and claimed it's resources, why would aliens be any different? "

We are the most intelligent species on the planet unless you have proof to refute that statement. At some point in our past our ancestors will have been both victim and perpetrators of a landgrab. But we are still evolving and it may be that we never reach the star trek level of being truly altruistic

over a year ago

"

man kind being what it is we would no doubt try to kill them they cut one up to see how it works

humans are not good at co existing "

True, but having travelled across galaxies their technology would probably make ours look like the technology of a slug, surely it's very unlikely that we could be any threat to them.

over a year ago

Because if there intelligent enough to find a way to cross the endless bounds of space.... I hardly think there'll be short of a bit of copper

over a year ago

We're probably all being watched by aliens in some form of wildlife documentary right now. Just like we use things like disguised rock-cams and dung-cams to get right up close to the animals, the aliens could well be using 'people-cams' disguised to look like our friends and loved ones, in order to get right up close and _iew our lives, the ultimate part of these disguises being that the person themselves doesn't know that they are actually a camera, and has artificially implanted memories to fool them into thinking they are who they think they are.

In fact, you could be a person-cam and not even know it!

over a year ago

"We're probably all being watched by aliens in some form of wildlife documentary right now. Just like we use things like disguised rock-cams and dung-cams to get right up close to the animals, the aliens could well be using 'people-cams' disguised to look like our friends and loved ones, in order to get right up close and _iew our lives, the ultimate part of these disguises being that the person themselves doesn't know that they are actually a camera, and has artificially implanted memories to fool them into thinking they are who they think they are.

In fact, you could be a person-cam and not even know it!"

If i was looking for a list of possible candidates for planetary extinction.

1 humans

2 the yanks

3 computers! ...

Down here right at the bottom would be ET

By *luezuluMan
over a year ago

Suffolk

Would be the first time its happened.

Just hope the Romans don't crucify the poor sod this time

over a year ago

"Would be the first time its happened.

Just hope the Romans don't crucify the poor sod this time"

Was that story real then

over a year ago

"If i was looking for a list of possible candidates for planetary extinction.

1 humans

2 the yanks"

Interesting that you put them in 2 different categories

over a year ago

"

We are the most intelligent species on the planet unless you have proof to refute that statement. At some point in our past our ancestors will have been both victim and perpetrators of a landgrab. But we are still evolving and it may be that we never reach the star trek level of being truly altruistic "

I don't need proof to tell you I don't know something, it's the other way around, you're the one making a statement of 'fact', prove it.

over a year ago

"If i was looking for a list of possible candidates for planetary extinction.

1 humans

2 the yanks

Interesting that you put them in 2 different categories "

It was intensional obviously I don't mean all yanks...

I just meant those crazy fuckers in the middle bit

over a year ago

"If they are going to visit I sincerely hope they wait a couple of thousand years when hopefully we will have realised the follies of war, extremism and other shitty traits we still have are pointless and that looking after this place we all live on is more important.."

over a year ago

"If they are going to visit I sincerely hope they wait a couple of thousand years when hopefully we will have realised the follies of war, extremism and other shitty traits we still have are pointless and that looking after this place we all live on is more important.."

Does anyone really think 'we'will be here in a thousand years time!.

Personally I think 20 is pushing it

over a year ago

"We're probably all being watched by aliens in some form of wildlife documentary right now. Just like we use things like disguised rock-cams and dung-cams to get right up close to the animals, the aliens could well be using 'people-cams' disguised to look like our friends and loved ones, in order to get right up close and _iew our lives, the ultimate part of these disguises being that the person themselves doesn't know that they are actually a camera, and has artificially implanted memories to fool them into thinking they are who they think they are.

In fact, you could be a person-cam and not even know it!"

An interesting thought and as valid as any.

over a year ago

"

True, but having travelled across galaxies their technology would probably make ours look like the technology of a slug, surely it's very unlikely that we could be any threat to them."

suppose that depends on the aliens, they could be a peaceful race who have no weapons of mass destruction as they have never had any need to kill or they could have the technology to blow us out the sky or the powers of mind control....who knows

By *luezuluMan
over a year ago

Suffolk

Was that story real then "

Story!!!!!!!!!!

of course it was real, thought everyone knew Jesus was a spaceman

Chris DeBurgh wrote a song about it.

Probably the best Christmas song EVER

By *andS4funCouple
over a year ago

Lancashire

Reptilians - we know people who believe in these. Google them.

I don't know about reptilians or 'aliens' for that matter. But we cannot be the only planet in the universe(s) that has or is able to sustain some kind of'life' It would be arrogant & maybe ignorant to assume we are.

over a year ago

"

True, but having travelled across galaxies their technology would probably make ours look like the technology of a slug, surely it's very unlikely that we could be any threat to them.

suppose that depends on the aliens, they could be a peaceful race who have no weapons of mass destruction as they have never had any need to kill or they could have the technology to blow us out the sky or the powers of mind control....who knows "

If they are peaceful then it means that they've been brilliant enough to discover a way to overcome their hostile tendencies, such beings of such sage wisdom would likely know not to get within striking distance of such a violent and unpredictable race as humans - at least, not without zapping Earth with the cerebral harmoniser first

over a year ago

Was that story real then

Story!!!!!!!!!!

of course it was real, thought everyone knew Jesus was a spaceman

Chris DeBurgh wrote a song about it.

Probably the best Christmas song EVER"

carlsberg don't do xmas songs but....

over a year ago

"Reptilians - we know people who believe in these. Google them.

I don't know about reptilians or 'aliens' for that matter. But we cannot be the only planet in the universe(s) that has or is able to sustain some kind of'life' It would be arrogant & maybe ignorant to assume we are. "

By mathematical calculation to roughly 25 billion, if I remember correctly

over a year ago

"

We are the most intelligent species on the planet unless you have proof to refute that statement. At some point in our past our ancestors will have been both victim and perpetrators of a landgrab. But we are still evolving and it may be that we never reach the star trek level of being truly altruistic

I don't need proof to tell you I don't know something, it's the other way around, you're the one making a statement of 'fact', prove it. "

OK, given the exploration of the earth by humans and the discovery of fossils going back millions of years, we have not seen any evidence of a more intelligent species. I accept that 100% proof is difficult to show but we can be pretty close to 100% by now

over a year ago

"Reptilians - we know people who believe in these. Google them.

I don't know about reptilians or 'aliens' for that matter. But we cannot be the only planet in the universe(s) that has or is able to sustain some kind of'life' It would be arrogant & maybe ignorant to assume we are. "

Mathematically it is reckoned that it is certain there is life on other planets.

How advanced that life is, is another matter

over a year ago

Religion as we know it probably wouldn't survive ET turning up.

over a year ago

The allies of humanity is an interesting read, google it and see for yourselfs, who knows?

By *onnie and JohnCouple
over a year ago

WILTSHIRE

if he brings a packet of condoms and has blue eyes..seriously we are all being f--k by the government each day , so think about it.

over a year ago

"

I don't need proof to tell you I don't know something, it's the other way around, you're the one making a statement of 'fact', prove it.

OK, given the exploration of the earth by humans and the discovery of fossils going back millions of years, we have not seen any evidence of a more intelligent species. I accept that 100% proof is difficult to show but we can be pretty close to 100% by now "

You have to be careful how you word things on here.

Like saying very nearly every number contains the number 3 is OK as it's technically 99.999% and in science that's very nearly every number.

over a year ago

"

OK, given the exploration of the earth by humans and the discovery of fossils going back millions of years, we have not seen any evidence of a more intelligent species. I accept that 100% proof is difficult to show but we can be pretty close to 100% by now .

Like saying very nearly every number contains the number 3 is OK as it's technically 99.999% and in science that's very nearly every number. "

Except it is unlikely that is true. One could hazard a guess and say 10% of all numbers contain the number 3

over a year ago

"

OK, given the exploration of the earth by humans and the discovery of fossils going back millions of years, we have not seen any evidence of a more intelligent species. I accept that 100% proof is difficult to show but we can be pretty close to 100% by now .

Like saying very nearly every number contains the number 3 is OK as it's technically 99.999% and in science that's very nearly every number.

Except it is unlikely that is true. One could hazard a guess and say 10% of all numbers contain the number 3 "

20% I reckon

By *eMontresMan
over a year ago

Halesowen

It would be scary as fuck. If they have the technology for interstellar travel, which would involve warping the space time fabric, then we'd be little more than chimps to them.

We would be completely at their mercy and would have to hope they were benign in their intentions.

over a year ago

"

Except it is unlikely that is true. One could hazard a guess and say 10% of all numbers contain the number 3

20% I reckon "

Lol no 99.8% of numbers contain the number 3 that's a mathematical fact.

over a year ago

It works like this 1 to 10 one number with 3 so its 10%

1 to 100 11 numbers contain the number 3 so it's 11%

1 to 1000... 271 numbers contain a three that's nearly 27%.

You keep going you get to 99.9% of numbers contain the number 3

By *bony in IvoryCouple
over a year ago

Black&White Utopia

To be fair its not really any Aliens we need worry about ... Just humans with a bit of power, that are already living here with us!

Aliens could teach us? .. Ones here continue to make same mistakes time n time again....

Thats Life!

over a year ago

"It works like this 1 to 10 one number with 3 so its 10%

"

Nice one

over a year ago

"

OK, given the exploration of the earth by humans and the discovery of fossils going back millions of years, we have not seen any evidence of a more intelligent species. I accept that 100% proof is difficult to show but we can be pretty close to 100% by now "

Maybe they cleaned up after themselves better than we do?

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"If they are going to visit I sincerely hope they wait a couple of thousand years when hopefully we will have realised the follies of war, extremism and other shitty traits we still have are pointless and that looking after this place we all live on is more important...

Does anyone really think 'we'will be here in a thousand years time!.

Personally I think 20 is pushing it "

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

Think I have been contacted by a few aliens on this site

over a year ago

"Depends on whether they shot to kill or the Americans did.. You reminded me of the 1980s song - "Star Trekkin"... haha"

Oh blimey I cant stop singing about Clingons now!

over a year ago

I think if aliens landed it would be because they wanted something or they'd just observe us from afar, in that scenario it might not work out well for us.

If though we could give them what they want without conflict, I believe it would bring humankind closer together. Religion and race wouldn't be as divisive as they are now.

over a year ago

Has anyone ever shopped in Tesco at 3.00am?

over a year ago

"I think if aliens landed it would be because they wanted something or they'd just observe us from afar, in that scenario it might not work out well for us.

If though we could give them what they want without conflict, I believe it would bring humankind closer together. Religion and race wouldn't be as divisive as they are now. "

Why would a bunch of clearly superior aliens need anything from us.

That would be the equivalent of me going 3000 miles out of my way, to get something from ants or just to stamp on their nest!.

Pointless and futile

over a year ago

So is Star Trek not real then?

over a year ago

That's rather interesting.

Isn't it widely accepted that all of mankind derives from and thus emigrated from Africa?

Incidentally, who did they steal the land from?

On the whole, genuine irrefutable aliens arriving here would be a bad thing.

By *dam_TinaCouple
over a year ago

Hampshire

"

Don't want to be too pedantic but I make it 19 numbers contains 3 between 1 and 100

over a year ago

The basis of religions would be fucked, so it can inly be a good thing

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"The basis of religions would be fucked, so it can inly be a good thing "

Indeed, as was proved by the totally non fictional, well researched and factually evidenced 'god was an astronaut' booj by the acclaimed scientist, explorer, racanteur and wit, Eric Von Daniken

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I wrote 'booj' instead of 'book'.

over a year ago

"

20% I reckon .

Lol no 99.8% of numbers contain the number 3 that's a mathematical fact."

Funnily enough, some 99.99% of all numbers do contain the number 3.

3.14159 is a number.

10.1864832 is a number.

over a year ago

Don't want to be too pedantic but I make it 19 numbers contains 3 between 1 and 100"

Which ones did I miss

over a year ago

"

20% I reckon .

Lol no 99.8% of numbers contain the number 3 that's a mathematical fact.

Funnily enough, some 99.99% of all numbers do contain the number 3.

3.14159 is a number.

10.1864832 is a number.

"

True. But 99.9% of integers do too! I was hasty saying 20% as I was just thinking of up to 100. (There are 19, in fact. Doubled up on 33!). Similarly 99.9% of integers contain 1, 2, 4 .... 9. Weird, eh?

over a year ago

Don't want to be too pedantic but I make it 19 numbers contains 3 between 1 and 100

Which ones did I miss "

30, 31, 32 .... 39

over a year ago

All this high powered maths talk is alien to me.

Do i qualify as a good or a bad thing?

By *dam_TinaCouple
over a year ago

Hampshire

Which ones did I miss

30, 31, 32 .... 39"

Exactly

By *dam_TinaCouple
over a year ago

Hampshire

Which ones did I miss

30, 31, 32 .... 39

Exactly "

Oh, and

over a year ago

Which ones did I miss

30, 31, 32 .... 39

Exactly "

13 x 3 is exactly 39

over a year ago

Which ones did I miss

30, 31, 32 .... 39

Exactly

13 x 3 is exactly 39"

Coincidentally 39 divided by 3 is 13... spooky eh

over a year ago

Ohhh numptyness.

It's always the bleedin obvious.

31,32,33,34,35 lol.

Numberphile on YouTube, always entertaining while bored

over a year ago

"Ohhh numptyness.

It's always the bleedin obvious.

31,32,33,34,35 lol.

Numberphile on YouTube, always entertaining while bored"

Learn something new every day! Indeed, your maths figures have taken over the threads!

Of course, it is the idea of infinity that makes mathematicians say it is almost certain that there is intelligent life on (an)other planet(s).

Whether they would want to know us though, I doubt! Any form of life capable of travelling here would almost certainly steer clear of us, surely?

over a year ago

A quirky maths problem :

Which of these two arithmetic series to infinity contain the greatest amount of numbers, Is it

a) 2,4,6,8,10,12 .......

b) 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 .....

over a year ago

"

A quirky maths problem :

Which of these two arithmetic series to infinity contain the greatest amount of numbers, Is it

a) 2,4,6,8,10,12 .......

b) 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 ....."

The same, I'm guessing

over a year ago

"

That would be the equivalent of me going 3000 miles out of my way, to get something from ants or just to stamp on their nest!.

Pointless and futile"

Resources are finite. It's not about wanting something from us, it's about wanting something from Earth. It could be argued that the USA went more than 3000 miles to the less developed middle east to secure its oil supply.

When we as humankind devour the rainforests for its resources we don't always show too much concern about indigenous species living in the rainforests. You could say we are superior to them.

Pointless and futile?

over a year ago

"

Pointless and futile

Resources are finite. It's not about wanting something from us, it's about wanting something from Earth. It could be argued that the USA went more than 3000 miles to the less developed middle east to secure its oil supply.

When we as humankind devour the rainforests for its resources we don't always show too much concern about indigenous species living in the rainforests. You could say we are superior to them.

Pointless and futile? "

Yeah but surely that's just because we're really a high primate, who haven't quite evolved enough.

So presuming these aliens come from our galaxy, were still taking anywhere between 50 to 30,000 lights years travel, so realistically there going to be bending space-time to get here!.

Now I'm no expert and this is just a hunch but, I reckon bending space with huge gravity to enable you to travel anywhere is probably harder than rearranging elements to give you any material you'd need, and seen as the elements are abundant throughout the galaxy, we really wouldn't have anything they need.

So I'd guess that any arrival would be merely out of curiosity, than of any grand we are here to conquer sci-fi film nonsense.

To be fair we've been broadcasting our position in the galaxy for over 30 years without anyone taking us up on it. So there's probably no one in the near vicinity anyhow

Post new Message to Thread