Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

financial rewards for breastfeeding

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

£200 shopping vouchers are being offered as an incentive to breastfeed.

I've just seen this on the news and the report began with a mother breastfeeding with the reporter stating "mother and son have a special bond".

This winds me up so much. Where is the bloody money coming from firstly and secondly, I hate the insinuation that if you dont breastfeed then your bond with your child is not as strong or as special.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"£200 shopping vouchers are being offered as an incentive to breastfeed.

I've just seen this on the news and the report began with a mother breastfeeding with the reporter stating "mother and son have a special bond".

This winds me up so much. Where is the bloody money coming from firstly and secondly, I hate the insinuation that if you dont breastfeed then your bond with your child is not as strong or as special."

I don't like that insinuation either.

I was lucky in that I was able to breastfeed my children. I have a friend who simply couldn't, it was just impossible, she was stressed, the baby was hungry it was awful. A nice health visitor told her that the only thing that mattered was that they got through the first few weeks, happily and healthily and to start her on a bottle straight away. 18 years later they have a very close bond. We all know its better for your child in many ways but if it isn't possible or even if you don't want to you shouldn't be made to feel bad.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yes making mother feel guilty is wrong but give the vouchers is a good idea. Even if they don't last at least they give it a go. Breast milk is best.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

How will they prove that women are breastfeeding?

over a year ago

I was lucky, I managed to breastfeed my lad but there is that stigma still that its weird and wrong. They are the people they are trying to appeal to. I know mums who were so opposed to breast feeding that I was called a freak for giving it a go. It is lovely to do, but it shouldn't be forced. It can make and break bonds.

over a year ago

"How will they prove that women are breastfeeding?"

Check the nipples for teeth marks.

over a year ago

I breast fed my kids and yeah it is a bit weird that people say that about a bond not being as strong. They say the same about if you have a c-section, that you won't bond, which i also had for all my kids. You just got to ignore this stuff or make a case for the opposite if you can be bothered.

Don't know where the money is coming from but hardly anyone breast feeds these days anyway so it won't be that much, which is probably why they've implemented it.

over a year ago

Just realised you said shopping vouchers. These will be coming from shops, that probably sell powdered baby milk...

over a year ago

what an absolute waste of money, people being paid to breed that's why the countrys so overpopulated, a lot of them have kids because they know they are onto a good thing.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"How will they prove that women are breastfeeding?

Check the nipples for teeth marks. "

oh dear I'll qualify even now then

over a year ago

"How will they prove that women are breastfeeding?

Check the nipples for teeth marks.

oh dear I'll qualify even now then "

over a year ago

Why doesn't that money go on better support for new mums. . Clinics to help struggling breastfeeders. . It can be hugely traumatic and there are lots of things that can help . It just needs the support system. Of course if everything has been tried then bottle is fine. But i've seen mums give up on the first attempt purely because they've not had hints and tips from qualified staff

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Why doesn't that money go on better support for new mums. . Clinics to help struggling breastfeeders. . It can be hugely traumatic and there are lots of things that can help . It just needs the support system. Of course if everything has been tried then bottle is fine. But i've seen mums give up on the first attempt purely because they've not had hints and tips from qualified staff "

or spent on people like that poor woman who killed her children in a depressive episode .

I don't know anything about this actually is it a proposal or has it been implemented?

over a year ago

I can't see it making a difference, mothers who want to breast feed will do it without the money and mothers who don't won't regardless, seems a waste of money to me

over a year ago

"£200 shopping vouchers are being offered as an incentive to breastfeed.

This winds me up so much. Where is the bloody money coming from firstly and secondly, I hate the insinuation that if you dont breastfeed then your bond with your child is not as strong or as special.

I don't like that insinuation either.

I was lucky in that I was able to breastfeed my children. I have a friend who simply couldn't, it was just impossible, she was stressed, the baby was hungry it was awful. A nice health visitor told her that the only thing that mattered was that they got through the first few weeks, happily and healthily and to start her on a bottle straight away. 18 years later they have a very close bond. We all know its better for your child in many ways but if it isn't possible or even if you don't want to you shouldn't be made to feel bad. "

They should spend money on educating health visitors.

There are a million reasons why babies don't feed properly and women are left feeling like they can't do it. From poor latch to tongue tie to trying to feed on a schedule, to oversupply.

And most health professionals say "oh it's not working, give it a bottle". I breastfed my twins with various health professionals constantly telling me to stop!

The support simply isn't out there. Which is very sad because it's women who are left feeling they have failed somehow.

Unless of course you want to bottle feed then that's fine.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

we applied the "do what we think is best" approach to our kids on everything from breast feeding (I did it for too long according to lots of people) to potty training and eating. No major disasters and two well balanced mid twenties people later we think it went ok. However lots of people and the media tried to imply that we were doing something wrong what ever we tried and you have to be bloody minded to ignore them.

over a year ago

Its funded by sheffidld university ... Think you should look into it before judging the experiment

over a year ago

"Its funded by sheffidld university ... Think you should look into it before judging the experiment"

Still a waste of money.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Its funded by sheffidld university ... Think you should look into it before judging the experiment"

thanks, I'll take a look later if there's any information on line.

Are they trying to see if it would improve take up rate so to speak?

over a year ago

You know Monsanto is looking into genetically engineering cows that produce human breast milk.

Honestly just because we know how, doesn't mean we have to do it.

over a year ago

When I say there looking into.... I mean they've already done it and just trying to get it past legislation.

over a year ago

My friend works for them and as far as im aware its to actually distinguish whether the breast is best statement is scientifically fact as there is no actual research.

over a year ago

"Why doesn't that money go on better support for new mums. . Clinics to help struggling breastfeeders. . It can be hugely traumatic and there are lots of things that can help . It just needs the support system. Of course if everything has been tried then bottle is fine. But i've seen mums give up on the first attempt purely because they've not had hints and tips from qualified staff "

This... Many places now are employing volunteers that will help and maternity support worker is helping take the strain off the midwife but my daughter in law had next to no help and would have given up had I not supported her and helped.

I think anything that helps make it a more appealing idea is good though... But don't think those that cant should be made to feel bad.

over a year ago

I breastfed all five of mine because I wanted to and to be honest I don't really think its right that mothers get vouchers for doing so .

over a year ago

Breast fed all of mine......for their benefit. Not monetry incentive.

over a year ago

"Breast fed all of mine......for their benefit. Not monetry incentive."

over a year ago

Couldn't breastfeed my son a, because I was in hospital for 6 weeks after having him and he couldn't stay with me and b, because I was pumped full of radiation which would of been dangerous to him.

How is it fair that people that do get cash incentives? A mother should do what's best for her and should never be made to feel like crap because of her choice.....even though I didn't have a choice

over a year ago

The money is a reward to the mothers for partaking in an experiment

for example i do paid surveys its a similar affair getting what they need/want and rewarding or incenising the people giving their time to the experiments

dont put a negative thing on everything i breastfed 2/3 children no incenitive but i dont see a problem with it and i dont think its wrong or i deserve something either lol

Post new Message to Thread