Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Intelligence - intimidating?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I was having a conversation with a friend the other day, who told me that many people in general don't know how to react when they encounter someone who thinks a lot, and how often in various forms of media those with intelligence are portrayed as being villainous, or as awkward, creepy and weird.

This isn't so much a question about whether or not people find intelligence attractive (as pretty much everyone will predictably say they do), but rather how they feel it is seen in general society, and why?

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *razedcatMan
over a year ago

London / Herts

I used to find intelligence attractive. Then intimidating. Now, I realise true intelligence is something no one has - we're all skilled in our own way. So now it doesn't bother me

Reply privately

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I find intelligence villainous, awkward, creepy and weird.

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Anyone who finds intelligence creepy or weird clearly needs to go back into education

I find it a little odd anyone would find an educated person weird unless they are to uneducated to understand them, maybe intimidating is what they really mean

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

You don't have to be intelligent to think a lot. Why would anyone be intimidated?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Anyone who finds intelligence creepy or weird clearly needs to go back into education

I find it a little odd anyone would find an educated person weird unless they are to uneducated to understand them, maybe intimidating is what they

really mean "

Totally agree if I rarely get a meet with a highly intellectual guy on here it makes a refreshing change from all the dumb nuts lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

I find most intelligent women amazing. You can learn new things and have a cheeky battle of wits! While most intelligent guys I've ment are pompous man-babies.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I find intelligence villainous, awkward, creepy and weird."

Reply privately

over a year ago

I don't find intelligence in itself to be attractive,threatening or creepy. A person of any degree of intelligence can be any or all of these. I have intellectual men who I'm attracted to because I like their personalities,not because they have Masters degrees or Doctorates or went to Oxford University

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I find most intelligent women amazing. You can learn new things and have a cheeky battle of wits!"

I love that, but don't think of it as a battle, more like a dance. If I'm speaking to an intelligent woman I like and she says something I don't agree with, I won't say words to the effect of 'no, you're wrong', I'd be more like 'have you ever thought of it this way?'

Reply privately

By *igeiaWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

Intelligence in areas I lack is a source of fascination rather than intimidation to me. I could listen to someone who waxes lyrical about physics or maths (areas I would love to have a brain able to understand) for hours as an example. Someone that passionate about something is captivating. And a lot of the intelligent people I know or have met are incredibly passionate.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I find most intelligent women amazing. You can learn new things and have a cheeky battle of wits!

I love that, but don't think of it as a battle, more like a dance. If I'm speaking to an intelligent woman I like and she says something I don't agree with, I won't say words to the effect of 'no, you're wrong', I'd be more like 'have you ever thought of it this way?'"

And she comes back with "Yes I have but decided it's wrong"

Reply privately

over a year ago

Are we talking social intelligence or intellectual ? Sorry if this is covered in the OP but i've just scan read it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I find most intelligent women amazing. You can learn new things and have a cheeky battle of wits!

I love that, but don't think of it as a battle, more like a dance. If I'm speaking to an intelligent woman I like and she says something I don't agree with, I won't say words to the effect of 'no, you're wrong', I'd be more like 'have you ever thought of it this way?'"

Why wouldn't you just speak like to that everyone?! Seems mean to restrict politeness to solely intelligent women.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Anyone who finds intelligence creepy or weird clearly needs to go back into education

I find it a little odd anyone would find an educated person weird unless they are to uneducated to understand them, maybe intimidating is what they really mean "

Education doesn't make you intelligent. I know plenty of people who have lots and are still clueless. I think self education and awareness of yourself in the world does more but obviously not when I'm a celeb's on

Reply privately

over a year ago

I love intelligence... But always remember my father telling me To dumb myself down or I'd never get a man...

Reply privately

By *ittykate84Woman
over a year ago

CHESTER

I get told im too intelligent to date is annoying

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Are we talking social intelligence or intellectual ? Sorry if this is covered in the OP but i've just scan read it. "

It wasn't stipulated

Reply privately

over a year ago

I love that, but don't think of it as a battle, more like a dance. If I'm speaking to an intelligent woman I like and she says something I don't agree with, I won't say words to the effect of 'no, you're wrong', I'd be more like 'have you ever thought of it this way?'

And she comes back with "Yes I have but decided it's wrong" "

But then I could say 'I don't think you're looking at the bigger picture'

Reply privately

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Honestly?

Its not really an issue on here..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Are we talking social intelligence or intellectual ? Sorry if this is covered in the OP but i've just scan read it. "

Lets say both, we're talking about the numbers you're crunching and how effectively you can communicate them across a spectrum of personalities.

Reply privately

over a year ago

But then I could say 'I don't think you're looking at the bigger picture' "

Sometimes when looking at the bigger picture you miss the finer detail. ..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I get told im too intelligent to date is annoying "

That and you never reply to my messages!

Reply privately

over a year ago

But then I could say 'I don't think you're looking at the bigger picture'

Sometimes when looking at the bigger picture you miss the finer detail. .."

The key to carving a masterpiece is to known when to use your fine point chisel and when to use your sledgehammer.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I get told im too intelligent to date is annoying "

Try dating brighter people

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I get told im too intelligent to date is annoying

Try dating brighter people "

You say that but where do you find them?

Reply privately

over a year ago

You say that but where do you find them? "

Mensa meetings.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Are we talking social intelligence or intellectual ? Sorry if this is covered in the OP but i've just scan read it.

It wasn't stipulated "

so there are several answers. I think it's more about matching personas. . If you're academic but socially a mong. . You'll probably click with someone of that ilk. If you're a social demi god with an NVQ in supermarket trolly logistics . . Likewise. Of course opposites attract but there are limits .

Reply privately

over a year ago

No idea, I have no intention of ever dating again I'm far to intelligent to go down that road again

Reply privately

over a year ago

Haven't a clue. Thick as pig shit here

Reply privately

over a year ago

Mensa meetings. "

Urr no can't be doing with a guy more intelligent then me. Would take longer to train him.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Mensa meetings. "

jesus no ! If you're intelligent i'll guess you work in an environment where you meet others who are . Go get !

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Are we talking social intelligence or intellectual ? Sorry if this is covered in the OP but i've just scan read it.

It wasn't stipulated so there are several answers. I think it's more about matching personas. . If you're academic but socially a mong. . You'll probably click with someone of that ilk. If you're a social demi god with an NVQ in supermarket trolly logistics . . Likewise. Of course opposites attract but there are limits . "

Mmmmmmmm NVQ in supermarket trolly logistics.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It wasn't stipulated so there are several answers. I think it's more about matching personas. . If you're academic but socially a mong. . You'll probably click with someone of that ilk. If you're a social demi god with an NVQ in supermarket trolly logistics . . Likewise. Of course opposites attract but there are limits .

I failed that. Forgot to take into account they have a mind of their own

Mmmmmmmm NVQ in supermarket trolly logistics. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

It wasn't stipulated so there are several answers. I think it's more about matching personas. . If you're academic but socially a mong. . You'll probably click with someone of that ilk. If you're a social demi god with an NVQ in supermarket trolly logistics . . Likewise. Of course opposites attract but there are limits .

Mmmmmmmm NVQ in supermarket trolly logistics. "

see micky love from league of gentlemen's job seekers interview. . . Remember . . I always post with a sense of irony ! Ha

Reply privately

over a year ago

Lets say both, we're talking about the numbers you're crunching and how effectively you can communicate them across a spectrum of personalities."

Yes I think we are all Individuals who have our own mind set And use a certain amount of Intelligence In what we like doing best, but I,ve always found Intelligent people secretive 1 to 1 What Is the point of that If you can,t Share and let someone Into your life.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Mensa meetings.

Urr no can't be doing with a guy more intelligent then me. Would take longer to train him. "

You asked where to find them!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Real intelligence is beautiful. I've known lots of "smart" people, a few now doing PHDs, but they were booksmart, not necessarily truly intelligent. I've usually found these to be the people who others find intimidating because they're often like talking encyclopaedias, but with limited personality.

I'd consider true intelligence as more of a sharpness of wit, and because of that intelligent people shouldn't intimidate others because they should be mentally agile and adaptable.

That said, as much as I enjoy debating higher things I wouldn't consider intelligence overly important here, just being friendly and having something to say. After all, when I'm face to face with a new crotch... some things lose focus!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Mmmmmmmm NVQ in supermarket trolly logistics. see micky love from league of gentlemen's job seekers interview. . . Remember . . I always post with a sense of irony ! Ha "

I vaguely remember that. Was he a bit of a twat? And are you comparing yourself to him?

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Interesting to see a couple of women stating the "dumb down to get a man/date" line being given to them.

I have had similar and also advice to dumb down a bit to get certain jobs. I have never heard a man be given the advice to dumb down to get a job, sex or a partner.

OP, maybe it's not that intelligence is seen as weird or villainous per se but that it is viewed as something to fear (low level) and therefore untrustworthy.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Isn't "intelligence" simply how effectively someone uses their intellect, skill set or other attributes? Rather than just a high "IQ".

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'd consider true intelligence as more of a sharpness of wit, and because of that intelligent people shouldn't intimidate others because they should be mentally agile and adaptable."

I understand the importance of being adaptable, but what pleasure would you get from chatting to certain people, where you have to dull yourself down to such an extent that you're not even you anymore?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Mmmmmmmm NVQ in supermarket trolly logistics. see micky love from league of gentlemen's job seekers interview. . . Remember . . I always post with a sense of irony ! Ha

I vaguely remember that. Was he a bit of a twat? And are you comparing yourself to him? "

i'm not darling. Is your memory addled from too much troll exertion ? Please try and pay attention to context or run along now x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Isn't "intelligence" simply how effectively someone uses their intellect, skill set or other attributes? Rather than just a high "IQ"."

OED defines it as the application and retention of knowledge or skills. IQ would be an okay measurement going by that, wouldn't it?

Reply privately

By *dsindyTV/TS
over a year ago

East Lancashire

Not to blow my own trumpet.......but I went to Cambridge.......

Reply privately

By *dsindyTV/TS
over a year ago

East Lancashire

"Not to blow my own trumpet.......but I went to Cambridge....... "

The following season I also went to Oxford

Reply privately

By *dsindyTV/TS
over a year ago

East Lancashire

"Not to blow my own trumpet.......but I went to Cambridge.......

The following season I also went to Oxford "

The season after was a let down....only made it to Barnet..

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm really not bothered how intelligent someone is. I relate to people that have something interesting to say. That doesn't need to be intelligent.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Mensa meetings.

Urr no can't be doing with a guy more intelligent then me. Would take longer to train him. "

Wouldn't an intelligent person say more intelligent than not then.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think emotional intelligence is probably a more important aspect in relating to others than IQ per se

Reply privately

over a year ago

Mmmmmmmm NVQ in supermarket trolly logistics. see micky love from league of gentlemen's job seekers interview. . . Remember . . I always post with a sense of irony ! Ha

I vaguely remember that. Was he a bit of a twat? And are you comparing yourself to him? i'm not darling. Is your memory addled from too much troll exertion ? Please try and pay attention to context or run along now x "

I could but it wouldn't really go with my insult now would it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 19/11/14 22:53:43]

Reply privately

over a year ago

I find it attractive, it can also be slightly intimidating to me but only in a way that I admire.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Mensa meetings.

Urr no can't be doing with a guy more intelligent then me. Would take longer to train him.

Wouldn't an intelligent person say more intelligent than not then."

To be fair, they did only claim to be less intelligent than Mensa members

Reply privately

over a year ago

I don't find intelligence intimidating or attractive. I rather find someone that has average to below, as they would be on the same level

Reply privately

over a year ago

Mensa meetings.

Wouldn't an intelligent person say more intelligent than not then."

I don't know but when you find an intelligent person to ask let me know.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 19/11/14 22:57:55]

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've never been told to "dumb myself

down" for a guy or a job. I must be reeeeally fick.

As for views on intelligence in society as a whole? I think the spectrum is too broad as has been hinted at in the social v. academic intelligence discussion.

As society itself is made up of both more and less intelligent people, I'm sure there are a range of views that balance themselves out?

I think intelligence is possibly respected and mistrusted (don't trust someone that can outsmart you!) in equal measure, depending on the situation.

...saunters off to watch the Jezza Kyle she recorded earlier...

Reply privately

over a year ago

I vaguely remember that. Was he a bit of a twat? And are you comparing yourself to him? i'm not darling. Is your memory addled from too much troll exertion ? Please try and pay attention to context or run along now x

I could but it wouldn't really go with my insult now would it. "

Says the non verified . . 'person' what's your take on your intelligence vs mine ? In the eyes of everyone watching this thread ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Mensa meetings.

Wouldn't an intelligent person say more intelligent than not then.

To be fair, they did only claim to be less intelligent than Mensa members "

I just found it funny in the same sentence as intelligence.

In reality far too many pretend or actually think they are intelligent yet seem to be lacking in that department.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Wouldn't an intelligent person say more intelligent than not then.

To be fair, they did only claim to be less intelligent than Mensa members

I just found it funny ion the same sentence as intelligent. "

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"I've never been told to "dumb myself

down" for a guy or a job. I must be reeeeally fick.

As for views on intelligence in society as a whole? I think the spectrum is too broad as has been hinted at in the social v. academic intelligence discussion.

As society itself is made up of both more and less intelligent people, I'm sure there are a range of views that balance themselves out?

I think intelligence is possibly respected and mistrusted (don't trust someone that can outsmart you!) .."

Reply privately

over a year ago

As some people have mentioned before there is different types of intelligence. Well there's more then 2! Visual-spacial, verbal- linguistic, interpersonal, interpersonal, musical, body kinesthetic, mathematical, and naturalistic. I personally find people interesting who have a good intrapersonal intelligence, I.e. Social skills. No point in having a PhD and not being able to converse in an entertaining way.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I vaguely remember that. Was he a bit of a twat? And are you comparing yourself to him? i'm not darling. Is your memory addled from too much troll exertion ? Please try and pay attention to context or run along now x

I could but it wouldn't really go with my insult now would it. Says the non verified . . 'person' what's your take on your intelligence vs mine ? In the eyes of everyone watching this thread ? "

What does verification have to do with it especially as I am verified?

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I wouldn't say I'm intelligent but I know a lot about certain subjects but little about others. I'm not afraid to ask about things I have no knowledge in. I don't find intelligent people intimidating. However I'm not keen on people making others look and feel stupid.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I wouldn't say I'm intelligent but I know a lot about certain subjects but little about others. I'm not afraid to ask about things I have no knowledge in. I don't find intelligent people intimidating. However I'm not keen on people making others look and feel stupid. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You don't have to be intelligent to think a lot. Why would anyone be intimidated?

"

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Real intelligence is beautiful. I've known lots of "smart" people, a few now doing PHDs, but they were booksmart, not necessarily truly intelligent. I've usually found these to be the people who others find intimidating because they're often like talking encyclopaedias, but with limited personality.

"

I really hope this isn't meant as a sweeping generalisation. I start my PhD next year (physics) and I'd like to think I have a decent personality

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I wouldn't say I'm intelligent but I know a lot about certain subjects but little about others. I'm not afraid to ask about things I have no knowledge in. I don't find intelligent people intimidating. However I'm not keen on people making others look and feel stupid. "

I really don't like people who use unnecessary words to try make themselves look superior to you

Reply privately

over a year ago

I could but it wouldn't really go with my insult now would it. Says the non verified . . 'person' what's your take on your intelligence vs mine ? In the eyes of everyone watching this thread ?

What does verification have to do with it especially as I am verified? "

you're photo verified . .so that night mean anything . You've not met in over a year . So please tell us all why we should pay heed to your trolling . Or maybe stop using this thread for your platform and we'll duke this out in pm . I contribute to the forum often . Your serve

Reply privately

over a year ago

"As some people have mentioned before there is different types of intelligence. Well there's more then 2! Visual-spacial, verbal- linguistic, interpersonal, interpersonal, musical, body kinesthetic, mathematical, and naturalistic. I personally find people interesting who have a good intrapersonal intelligence, I.e. Social skills. No point in having a PhD and not being able to converse in an entertaining way. "

Multiple intelligence theory....?? EEEEKK

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"I wouldn't say I'm intelligent but I know a lot about certain subjects but little about others. I'm not afraid to ask about things I have no knowledge in. I don't find intelligent people intimidating. However I'm not keen on people making others look and feel stupid.

I really don't like people who use unnecessary words to try make themselves look superior to you"

Ah the big word syndrome. I have to use big words in letters for work and often refer to a Thesarus for meanings and context. In everyday language it amounts to small words for me lol.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Real intelligence is beautiful. I've known lots of "smart" people, a few now doing PHDs, but they were booksmart, not necessarily truly intelligent. I've usually found these to be the people who others find intimidating because they're often like talking encyclopaedias, but with limited personality.

I really hope this isn't meant as a sweeping generalisation. I start my PhD next year (physics) and I'd like to think I have a decent personality"

Good luck with that - is it strange that I find your PhD exploits sexy?? Hmmm

Reply privately

over a year ago

I have no ideas whats going on.

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"I have no ideas whats going on."

Don't be surprised I have no idea what's going on here half the time lol

Reply privately

By *illyjohnyCouple
over a year ago

brighton

There are different levels of intelligence that we all lack in some form and aspire in others. Didn`t sound to intelligent I hope John

Reply privately

over a year ago

You lot don't half talk a load of bollocks sometimes

Reply privately

over a year ago

It wasn't stipulated so there are several answers. I think it's more about matching personas. . If you're academic but socially a mong. . You'll probably click with someone of that ilk. If you're a social demi god with an NVQ in supermarket trolly logistics . . Likewise. Of course opposites attract but there are limits . "

I do love the way you write

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You lot don't half talk a load of bollocks sometimes "

I think you mean testicles my dear

Reply privately

over a year ago

One slighty interesting thing this thread threw up is a troll that decide to randomly pick a very fight with me. The result was a clear match of intelligence. Now i'm not sure how it went but i invited 'it' to pm me and it didnt last long . . Sorry . . Ego post on my part . . But fun

Reply privately

over a year ago

Spot the extra word out of place above . . Oops

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yes I was right the first time. You are a ....

Reply privately

By *illyjohnyCouple
over a year ago

brighton

"Spot the extra word out of place above . . Oops "

Should it have read very randomly

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Spot the extra word out of place above . . Oops

Should it have read very randomly "

I find that with his posts to.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Yes I was right the first time. You are a .... "
i am a smiley ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 19/11/14 23:45:18]

Reply privately

By *ady G and GTCouple
over a year ago

Coventry

I find it a little odd anyone would find an educated person weird unless they are to uneducated to understand them, maybe intimidating is what they really mean "

Reply privately

over a year ago

"You lot don't half talk a load of bollocks sometimes

I think you mean testicles my dear "

no I'm not intelligent enough to mean testicles!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

no I'm not intelligent enough to mean testicles!! "

Intelligence in a nutsac.

Reply privately

over a year ago

no I'm not intelligent enough to mean testicles!!

Intelligence in a nutsac. "

ah the Illuminati have arrived

Reply privately

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

I do believe some people are intimidated or feel uncomfortable around intelligence and/or education, and avoid such people rather than feel out of their comfort zone.

I like a sharp and playful mind to relate to, though education is not necessarily required.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I was having a conversation with a friend the other day, who told me that many people in general don't know how to react when they encounter someone who thinks a lot, and how often in various forms of media those with intelligence are portrayed as being villainous, or as awkward, creepy and weird.

This isn't so much a question about whether or not people find intelligence attractive (as pretty much everyone will predictably say they do), but rather how they feel it is seen in general society, and why?"

I realise this is digressing from the original question, but what surprises me is how many intelligent and thoughtful people write in the Lounge on various interesting topics, hardly any of which conversations are about swinging in its strictest sense.

I find this very positive, especially since I myself am not swinging anymore, I'm only here to keep in touch with a few friends who choose to chat on this site rather than other social media or email.

So I just want to say: keep talking, because I enjoy reading

Reply privately

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

It wasn't stipulated so there are several answers. I think it's more about matching personas. . If you're academic but socially a mong. . You'll probably click with someone of that ilk. If you're a social demi god with an NVQ in supermarket trolly logistics "

I've got a GNVQ, its not in supermarket trolley logistics though.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've got an STD.

It's 01484

Reply privately

over a year ago

What a nice thing to say ! Kudos to you !

Reply privately

over a year ago

It wasn't stipulated so there are several answers. I think it's more about matching personas. . If you're academic but socially a mong. . You'll probably click with someone of that ilk. If you're a social demi god with an NVQ in supermarket trolly logistics

I've got a GNVQ, its not in supermarket trolley logistics though. "

then GTFO . . Ha

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I really hope this isn't meant as a sweeping generalisation. I start my PhD next year (physics) and I'd like to think I have a decent personality"

No, not a sweeping generalisation. I'm sure there are PHDs who are social butterflies and match my thoughts on true intelligence. I just meant that there are those who, despite being bookish, are as social as a brick and can't think beyond hard academia.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I really hope this isn't meant as a sweeping generalisation. I start my PhD next year (physics) and I'd like to think I have a decent personality"

I love women, I love science, I love women that do science even more .

There was a time that we aspired to be intelligent, we didn't belittle it and we weren't afraid of it, but with the last 20 years of TV, I really think people are so stupid,they get intimidated by the "sun says".

Reply privately

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

I'm far more intelligent than any of yow.

It's just a shame I have the social skills of a squashed hedgehog and I look like the back end of the bus that squished it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm far more intelligent than any of yow.

It's just a shame I have the social skills of a squashed hedgehog and I look like the back end of the bus that squished it.

"

I don't know I've read most of your posts and they seem to make sense, unlike some of the people that pretend to be leaders of the business world but don't even seem to have a grasp of an "ism".

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I really hope this isn't meant as a sweeping generalisation. I start my PhD next year (physics) and I'd like to think I have a decent personality

No, not a sweeping generalisation. I'm sure there are PHDs who are social butterflies and match my thoughts on true intelligence. I just meant that there are those who, despite being bookish, are as social as a brick and can't think beyond hard academia."

Not socialising in the standard way doesn't necessary mean they cant, they simply might not want to.

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Intelligence isn't a single entity that we have, it's complex and we have varying doses of abilities that cover so many abilities.

It's something that we just have, like eye color or right/left handedness, so is no more intimidating than those. Often more stupidity can mean greater happiness, so is no bad thing.

I like emotional warmth, and wisdom as key elements of what I view as parts of intelligence. I rate loving and caring highly in others any day.

And comparing ourselves to others isn't usually a good habit, as we may put someone down.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I really hope this isn't meant as a sweeping generalisation. I start my PhD next year (physics) and I'd like to think I have a decent personality

No, not a sweeping generalisation. I'm sure there are PHDs who are social butterflies and match my thoughts on true intelligence. I just meant that there are those who, despite being bookish, are as social as a brick and can't think beyond hard academia.

Not socialising in the standard way doesn't necessary mean they cant, they simply might not want to. "

There goes the man that gave it so much thought that he equates intelligence too being able to talk about I'm a celebrity get me out of here with strangers, as an equal

Reply privately

By *ittykate84Woman
over a year ago

CHESTER

That and you never reply to my messages!"

Shush ya bugger x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

There goes the man that gave it so much thought that he equates intelligence too being able to talk about I'm a celebrity get me out of here with strangers, as an equal "

Woah, bit harsh. I equated intelligence to mental agility, which should help in socialising!

My real point was that a lot of people are considered intelligent when really they just retain information, but can't think on their feet.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Intelligence isn't a single entity that we have, it's complex and we have varying doses of abilities that cover so many abilities.

It's something that we just have, like eye color or right/left handedness, so is no more intimidating than those. Often more stupidity can mean greater happiness, so is no bad thing.

I like emotional warmth, and wisdom as key elements of what I view as parts of intelligence. I rate loving and caring highly in others any day.

And comparing ourselves to others isn't usually a good habit, as we may put someone down.

"

I really like the way you put that. If I was more intelligent I would have written something like that

Reply privately

over a year ago

I wonder, do many folk consider themselves possessing below average intelligence?

I suspect many of us, myself included, over estimate our abilities, mental or otherwise.

Is it not all relative?

Clearly most of us aren't on the level of Newton, Maxwell or Einstein...or the many folks whom we've never heard of who have applied all the knowledge they've amassed, and made a contribution that's affected our lives.

What is often apparent to me when meeting people (or reading threads on fab!) is how, perhaps due to upbringing, some folk are much more culturally literate that others.

There appears to be a body of knowledge that the "haves" within society feel is worth knowing and have the best access to experiencing - things like: classical music, opera, fine art, literature, historical perspective etc... Maybe all societies have this stratification of knowledge...and the rest of us plebs either reject its value or spend our lives with our arms outstretched (figuratively), in the vain hope that some of it will fall on us.

I'm just rambling now, sorry!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

With regards to the OP's question - it does appear that intellect, even when respected, is often equated to being weird, think Sherlock...or uncoordinated stupidity, think Carlton (of Fresh Prince fame).... In fact, the popular media often, though not always I'm sure, portrays 'cool' as good looking, arrogant, preoccupied with sex and viewing education/learning as having little value see Zach Morris (Saved by the Bell)... On TV, such personalities get everything the want...in real life, I'm not sure it correlates..

Reply privately

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

I try not to intimidate anyone too much lol

Reply privately

By *hattyman80Man
over a year ago

stockport

I am well educated I have a psychology MSc but I don't consider myself intelligent. The ability to study does not equate to intelligence. Some of the most switched on people I've ever met haven't finished high school. I see people who can see things in ways no-one else can and to me that's intelligent. Put me in front of a Rubik's cube I'm stuffed yet my 10 year old nephew can do it with his eyes closed?? The same way as an IQ doesn't relate to intelligence either. I find my field of psychology actually has put people off from wanting to chat to me or meet me as a lot get cold feet once they find out I have a masters in psychology. I have more respect for common sense than intelligence

Reply privately

over a year ago

I do get complaints about the words I use at times. If I was more intelligent I'd use less obscure language I guess. I think reading a dictionaries as a child did me no favours

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

My real point was that a lot of people are considered intelligent when really they just retain information, but can't think on their feet."

Tend to agree with this, there's a big difference between being a fountain of information and facts and being intelligent. In my opinion it's how you can apply yourself that shows true intelligence.

Some people also think that engaging in complex debate is also an indicator of intelligence - I can't be doing with long heated debates with some people as they can often be counterproductive and damaging with stubborn people who won't change their view or accept alternatives, usually based on a book or books they've read.

Often I've truncated a debate (agreed to disagree) not because I think I've lost it, but because I knew it was a waste of time continuing. I think sometimes that's the intelligent thing to do

Reply privately

over a year ago

Don't confuse thinking with intelligence. There's plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest they don't always go together !

Reply privately

By *arry247Couple
over a year ago

Wakefield

Intelligence does not equate to academic learning, but rather the mental capability to reason, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, solve problems and learn from experience. It may involve academic learning but that is simply a by product.

The retention of knowledge is not intelligence but rather the application of memory.

It follows that an intelligent person may be a very successful and sensual lover but only as with most successful lovers they are generous and think of their partner rather than selfish and think of themselves.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I admit to being as thick as two short planks but most of the people I meet treat me the same as anyone else my late husband however used to remind me how thick I was and how clever he was but I realise now that was just to make him feel good ....I'd rather be thick but nice than clever and horrid like him ....if that makes sense

Reply privately

over a year ago

I enjoy witty and challenging conversation with interesting people.

To me intelligence is wanting to know more, being curious and having an open mind.

Reply privately

over a year ago

i get on with most people - intelligence is good unless its thrown at you in a superior way then they can fuck off if they think that they are better than me - trying to show people up isnt a nice trait

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Isn't "intelligence" simply how effectively someone uses their intellect, skill set or other attributes? Rather than just a high "IQ".

OED defines it as the application and retention of knowledge or skills. IQ would be an okay measurement going by that, wouldn't it? "

IQ is a measure of cognitive function. The tests were brought out to out 'retarded' people from society and discourage them from breeding (sometimes wth forced sterilisation).

Reply privately

over a year ago

Intelligent, opinionated and passionate people are the sort of people that I like to surround myself with. Measuring intelligence is subjective and to me not linked with academia.

Reply privately

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"I was having a conversation with a friend the other day, who told me that many people in general don't know how to react when they encounter someone who thinks a lot, and how often in various forms of media those with intelligence are portrayed as being villainous, or as awkward, creepy and weird.

This isn't so much a question about whether or not people find intelligence attractive (as pretty much everyone will predictably say they do), but rather how they feel it is seen in general society, and why?"

Intelligent people can be perfectly normal and approachable.

Intelligent people can also be intimidating, odd, psychopathic, sociopathic or just slightly weird.

Famous people with high IQs?

Quentin Tarantino

Shakira

Sharon Stone

Matt Damon

Einstein

Ted Bundy

Jeffrey Dahmer

John Wayne Gacy

Stephen Hawking

I guess like anything intelligence is just one element of personality!

A

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I wonder, do many folk consider themselves possessing below average intelligence?

I suspect many of us, myself included, over estimate our abilities, mental or otherwise.

Is it not all relative?

Clearly most of us aren't on the level of Newton, Maxwell or Einstein...or the many folks whom we've never heard of who have applied all the knowledge they've amassed, and made a contribution that's affected our lives.

What is often apparent to me when meeting people (or reading threads on fab!) is how, perhaps due to upbringing, some folk are much more culturally literate that others.

There appears to be a body of knowledge that the "haves" within society feel is worth knowing and have the best access to experiencing - things like: classical music, opera, fine art, literature, historical perspective etc... Maybe all societies have this stratification of knowledge...and the rest of us plebs either reject its value or spend our lives with our arms outstretched (figuratively), in the vain hope that some of it will fall on us.

I'm just rambling now, sorry!! "

Ramble away, thinking is a sign of intelligence haha.

I agree most people overestimate a lot of things about themselves, and underestimate too, add onto that insecurities they have and someone they perceive as more *whatever* than them can be interpreted as a threat (scary and that) and it's possible they may be actually threat i suppose it depends what you (and them) want from life.

Perception varies from person to person, so what you perceive as intelligent someone else might not. There isn't really any standard measurement of a persons intelligence, it's left vague for a reason, because nobody knows how to measure it. There are measurements of intelligence for people to fit into certain criteria though, whether that be job applications or friends you can discuss your thoughts with.

Reply privately

By * Busty HotwifeCouple
over a year ago

Bradford

But a large part of the population IS uneducated, lacking individual thoughts and processes allowing them to function completely independently.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Sarah x

Reply privately

over a year ago

I find it a little odd anyone would find an educated person weird unless they are to uneducated to understand them, maybe intimidating is what they really mean

But a large part of the population IS uneducated, lacking individual thoughts and processes allowing them to function completely independently. "

How do you know you aren't lacking individual thoughts? Brought yourself up in seclusion did you?

Let the real intelligence debate begin...

Reply privately

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

There are a number of ladies on here I'd consider very knowledgeable , and I sometimes find them intimidating x

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I haven't read all of this but I only find intelligence intimidating if it's wielded as a weapon.

Reply privately

over a year ago

To me intelligence is problem solving pure and simple, the ability to pull it apart, find a tangible way to solve it through trial and error as quickly as possible, while understanding how the small bits of the puzzle fit into and work into the greater scheme.

Some of the "cleverest" people I've met work in very different fields from mechanics to engineers to bin men.

But without doubt my last boss was a lady who was unbelievably brilliant, unfortunately she had been passed over several times for promotion due to her scatty demeanour and personality traits.

It appears the cream doesn't always float to the top

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 20/11/14 09:47:43]

Reply privately

By *adyGardenWoman
over a year ago

LONDON (se)

I am hugely attracted to intelligent people but intelligence isn't just about how well educated someone is. It is also about commonsense and the ability to use ones initiative.

I find a lot of highly educated people have neither of those

Reply privately

over a year ago

Oh I forgot to add, I did a PhD but never wrote it up so never qualified. I've had a few papers published in scientific journals, only one as first author though.

If I was truly intelligent, I would have started a successful business and made millions.

Reply privately

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

Mensa meetings. "

Ha, been there, did that, it didn't end well 20 years later!

Reply privately

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Mensa meetings.

Ha, been there, did that, it didn't end well 20 years later!

"

Na, too damn expensive for what you got....

....well the mensa is anyway

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm dyslexic and still at pushing 40 still don't know my times table . But Iv still managed nvq level two and three and a diploma . I personal thing intelligence comes in different forms , I personal find a good sence off hummor more attractive !

Reply privately

over a year ago

Knowledge and intelligence are different things. The more a person learns and therefore knows, the more they know they don't know, the more they appreciate how ignorant they are. Mankind thinks it knows so much but in reality knows so little.

Real intelligence is an appreciation of how lacking in intellect you really are, it's humbling in every sense of the word.

Anyone who attempts to use their 'intelligence' as a weapon or in some sort of game of one upmanship is in my opinion lacking in both intelligence and knowledge.

The most intelligent people I know are usually children. They might not have the knowledge yet, but they often have everything else and don't feel the need to show it or be intimidated by it.

Reply privately

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

"Knowledge and intelligence are different things. The more a person learns and therefore knows, the more they know they don't know, the more they appreciate how ignorant they are. Mankind thinks it knows so much but in reality knows so little.

Real intelligence is an appreciation of how lacking in intellect you really are, it's humbling in every sense of the word.

Anyone who attempts to use their 'intelligence' as a weapon or in some sort of game of one upmanship is in my opinion lacking in both intelligence and knowledge.

The most intelligent people I know are usually children. They might not have the knowledge yet, but they often have everything else and don't feel the need to show it or be intimidated by it."

Information comes from a single perspective, wisdom from multiple perspective. Intelligence is knowing the difference.

Reply privately

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"I was having a conversation with a friend the other day, who told me that many people in general don't know how to react when they encounter someone who thinks a lot, "

I think that's a different question. Everyone can handle someone being quick-witted and flippant, but depth and sincerity are often harder for some people to cope with. I'm often accused of 'thinking too much' by those who can't handle the depth, haha, which reminds me of a quote:

'Women spend more time thinking about what men think than most men actually spend thinking!'.

But I enjoy thinking and talking in depth sometimes, I don't care much about the superficial, I think life knocks that out of you sometimes.

Reply privately

over a year ago

My Brain is the bane of my life. Have very few friends because of it, have held myself back plenty of times because of it too.

I would still much rather be intelligent and around intelligent people than morons though. Something about idiocy and the celebration of it in pop culture etc, that really pisses me off. School is free in this country there are no excuses in my opinion

Reply privately

over a year ago

"My Brain is the bane of my life. Have very few friends because of it, have held myself back plenty of times because of it too.

I would still much rather be intelligent and around intelligent people than morons though. Something about idiocy and the celebration of it in pop culture etc, that really pisses me off. School is free in this country there are no excuses in my opinion"

and that's why uv not got many friends !

Reply privately

over a year ago

"My Brain is the bane of my life. Have very few friends because of it, have held myself back plenty of times because of it too.

I would still much rather be intelligent and around intelligent people than morons though. Something about idiocy and the celebration of it in pop culture etc, that really pisses me off. School is free in this country there are no excuses in my opinion"

Are you sure you don't have many friends as a result of your intelligence and not because you call those less smart "morons"?

Reply privately

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

Haha, classic!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

There is less smart and then there is going through life without any common sense.

Is it really so bad to look down on someone who shuns knowledge, intelligence, critical thinking etc? Especially in a country that offers free education, has free libraries, promotes good education at every corner?

If it is then i guess i am a terrible person.

Reply privately

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

You profile name is not exactly sapiosexual.

For information, my two kids cost us about £100.00 per month to go to school.

Reply privately

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

If I remember correctly there is also a higher incidence of Asberger like syndromes/symptoms among higher IQ groups ie a difficulty with social interaction and nonverbal communication.

A lot of very clever people are in fact 'geeky', they can be quite socially inept in some way or other.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Shush ya bugger x"

I'll shush when we finally kiss x

"Knowledge and intelligence are different things."

I would generally define them as

Knowledge = What you know

Intelligence = How well you use it

These 'book smart no social skills' people have been referring to would be like owning a top sports car and having no idea how to drive it, whereas 'streetwise' people may not be able to tell you how to split an atom, but know how to and who with you should interact with in life, who to avoid and where not to go.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I would still much rather be intelligent and around intelligent people than morons though. Something about idiocy and the celebration of it in pop culture etc, that really pisses me off. School is free in this country there are no excuses in my opinion

"

whats sapiosexual mean ?

Reply privately

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

[Removed by poster at 20/11/14 10:39:53]

Reply privately

over a year ago

Lol ye my name was poorly thought out i will admit but it is what is

Paying tfor their schooling is a choice though right? Or are you factoring in, lunches/travel/uniforms/trips and the like?

I went to one of the best schools in the country and it didn't cost my parents a penny. If you don't count uniform etc. But the education itself was still free.

The school was Latymer btw.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"There is less smart and then there is going through life without any common sense.

Is it really so bad to look down on someone who shuns knowledge, intelligence, critical thinking etc? Especially in a country that offers free education, has free libraries, promotes good education at every corner?

If it is then i guess i am a terrible person. "

I think it's bad to look down on anyone. Arrogance isn't intelligence.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I haven't read all of this but I only find intelligence intimidating if it's wielded as a weapon.

"

is what i meant but you put it so much better

Reply privately

over a year ago

True, but am i supposed to not notice when it becomes apparent.?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If I remember correctly there is also a higher incidence of Asberger like syndromes/symptoms among higher IQ groups ie a difficulty with social interaction and nonverbal communication.

"

To the best of my knowledge, Asperger's syndrome is a form of high functioning Autism, and autistic minds (again, as far as I understand) tend to lock onto a smaller range of topics/behaviours than a regular person, thusly they can gain a great deal of knowledge in these topics, but don't have a great deal of mental flexibility outside of them. Its rather like comparing a train to a car, the train is capable of far greater speed and power, but doesn't have the same freedom of movement.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Shush ya bugger x

I'll shush when we finally kiss x

Knowledge and intelligence are different things.

I would generally define them as

Knowledge = What you know

Intelligence = How well you use it

These 'book smart no social skills' people have been referring to would be like owning a top sports car and having no idea how to drive it, whereas 'streetwise' people may not be able to tell you how to split an atom, but know how to and who with you should interact with in life, who to avoid and where not to go."

Absolutely

Sarah x

Reply privately

over a year ago

I still don't know what sapiosexuall meens lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think it's bad to look down on anyone. Arrogance isn't intelligence. "

Arrogance 'I am better than everyone else'

Confidence 'No one else is better than me'

Reply privately

over a year ago

whats sapiosexual mean ? "

It means being attracted to 'intelligent' folk over and above their looks.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I still don't know what sapiosexuall meens lol"

See below or above..

Reply privately

over a year ago

Lack of friends, unfulfilled potential, condescending, easily pissed off and closed to the reasoning of others (there is nothing inherently wrong with excuses or reasons).

Does your self proclaimed 'intelligence' tell you you're in a happy place?

Reply privately

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

"I still don't know what sapiosexuall meens lol"

A sexual attraction to intelligence.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I think it's bad to look down on anyone. Arrogance isn't intelligence.

Confidence 'No one else is better than me'"

yep!

I heard a professor speaking on the radio yesterday and his intelligence shone through his words but it was clear that he considered himself to be on a par with those around him as a human being. What he said showed his humility and willingness to continue learning too.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I still don't know what sapiosexuall meens lol

See below or above.. "

no Iv still no idea I'll google it

Reply privately

over a year ago

See below or above.. no Iv still no idea I'll google it "

I gave you the answer above.

Reply privately

over a year ago

So you know all about me from my post huh?

Do you know me personally to say i'm easily pissed off? Condescending? Is it condescending to recognise when someone is not so bright?

Are you in a happy place?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Humans...christ we're annoyingbut interesting ....

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think it's bad to look down on anyone. Arrogance isn't intelligence.

Confidence 'No one else is better than me'

yep!

I heard a professor speaking on the radio yesterday and his intelligence shone through his words but it was clear that he considered himself to be on a par with those around him as a human being. What he said showed his humility and willingness to continue learning too."

Professor Brain Cox is rather like that, clearly a man of exceptional intelligence, but the childlike wonder in his voice when talking about the universe shows his humility, and you can imagine he'd be engaging and well liked in almost any social situation.

Reply privately

over a year ago

See below or above.. no Iv still no idea I'll google it

I gave you the answer above."

got it lol u learn somthing new every day ! . I do fancy carol vorderman does that make me one ? Lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

I gave you the answer above.got it lol u learn somthing new every day ! . I do fancy carol vorderman does that make me one ? Lol"

Hahaha...do you only go for intelligent women?

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"So you know all about me from my post huh?

Do you know me personally to say i'm easily pissed off? Condescending? Is it condescending to recognise when someone is not so bright?

Are you in a happy place?"

lol, read your post back to yourself...I'm imagining the tone of voice you might use.

That's the problem with words on a page, tone and intent are so often misinterpreted

Reply privately

over a year ago

I find intelligence in others stimulating, challenging and entertaining, whichever form it comes in...what I find utterly tedious is people who go on about how intelligent they think they are, or those who over intellectualise in order to exclude others or make themselves feel better at the expense of others...

What society makes of people of intelligence, depends entirely upon which society you're thinking of...

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 20/11/14 10:57:16]

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I gave you the answer above.got it lol u learn somthing new every day ! . I do fancy carol vorderman does that make me one ? Lol

Hahaha...do you only go for intelligent women?all woman are intelligent ! "

Correct answer Trucka!

Reply privately

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

George Gurdjieff in his book, Beelzebub's tales to his grandson, call human beings 3 brained animals.

The three brains being intelligence, physical and emotional.

If an one becomes Dominant it will be at the detriment of the others.

If you are highly centred in intelligence, often the person become physically weaker, or struggles with emotion.

If you're highly centred in emotional, just think when you fall in lust, all kind os shit happens, stop eating, start doing things that are totally off the scale...

Physical, you only have to look at one or two modern day footballers to see the detriment there.

Surely true intelligence as we are describing it, is keeping theses three centres in balance.

Should what Gurdjieff said have meaning that is.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I gave you the answer above.got it lol u learn somthing new every day ! . I do fancy carol vorderman does that make me one ? Lol

Hahaha...do you only go for intelligent women?all woman are intelligent ! "

I like you.

Reply privately

By *adyGardenWoman
over a year ago

LONDON (se)

"I'm dyslexic and still at pushing 40 still don't know my times table . But Iv still managed nvq level two and three and a diploma . I personal thing intelligence comes in different forms , I personal find a good sence off hummor more attractive ! "

Einstein was dyslexic

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hahaha...do you only go for intelligent women?all woman are intelligent !

I like you. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

But the quality of that free education varies enormously...add into that the drivel fed to people though TV and other media, the celebration of so called celebrity culture and the value attached to admiration of lack of aspiration...some people never stand a chance...

Reply privately

over a year ago

But the quality of that free education varies enormously...add into that the drivel fed to people though TV and other media, the celebration of so called celebrity culture and the value attached to admiration of lack of aspiration...some people never stand a chance..."

Free thinking?

Challenging the education system?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"So you know all about me from my post huh?

Are you in a happy place?"

No, I don't know all about you, why would you assume that?

I just felt that when you wrote "Something about idiocy and the celebration of it in pop culture etc, that really pisses me off" it indicated to me that it is relatively easy to piss you off.

Your use of the word "morons" and your ability to decide when someone is 'not so bright' has an air of superiority about it and is patronising, in my opinion.

I am in a happy place at the moment. Thank you for asking.

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"I wonder, do many folk consider themselves possessing below average intelligence?

Is it not all relative?

I'm just rambling now, sorry!! "

My social and cultural upbringing would put me in the arms outstretched category. I found opera etc. for myself. Intelligence is relative. My interests don't equate to my intelligence or lack thereof. They do equate to my curiosity about the world, life and how things work.

Reply privately

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

Just curious how demonstrative of rational reasoned educated thought is the act of smoking ?

Point is intelligent people do stupid stuff , be careful what parameters you may use to judge another for you may find yourself equally judged xx

For me I enjoy the company of someone reasonably articulate, for me that word encompasses a degree of interest in the world , a degree of memory and knowledge and a degree of reasoning

I'm not going to say it's intelligence per se but I do enjoy a lady who is curious ....

However if I do meet someone with vastly more knowledge than I , I can't help but feel incompatible and often that's no fault of the lady they are quite happy bagging a dumb blond hottie

Reply privately