Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Rooney

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Not far behind Sir Bobby Charltons record now, how good do you guys think he is? I'm to young to have seen Sir Bobby play but remember Gary Lineker playing and he was great but Rooney don't seem to have the same appeal?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *dsindyTV/TS
over a year ago

East Lancashire

Rooney is without doubt England's best player at the moment. As for not having as much appeal as Lineker or Charlton....I think that's down to the perception people have of him being a "chav". That said.....is he truly to be considered a "great" player on the international scene????

By *picyspiregirlCouple
over a year ago

chesterfield

I believe he is the best of a bad bunch. Well, one of the best of a bad bunch.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I believe he is the best of a bad bunch. Well, one of the best of a bad bunch.

"

I read that as a bad lunch.

Its late.

over a year ago

Its late."

It is late I read it as "best of a bad brunch" lol

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Rooney is under rated.

over a year ago

I just think the likes of Shearer, Lineker even Platt were dangerous against anyone, Brazil, Argentina, Germany world class, but Rooney is a bit suspect against the world class teams, not taking anything away from him.

over a year ago

Rooney will end his career as the top goalscorer for England ever...by a considerable margin too.

He will also be the top goalscorer ever for the best English club side.

And some people say he's the best of a bad bunch. ....

over a year ago

Its late.

It is late I read it as "best of a bad brunch" lol "

Either way, the sandwiches were substandard.

By *eavensent78Couple
over a year ago

west mids

He is a good player but far from world class

By *picyspiregirlCouple
over a year ago

chesterfield

"Rooney will end his career as the top goalscorer for England ever...by a considerable margin too.

And some people say he's the best of a bad bunch. .... "

They do say that, and believe it! If only his strike rate was as good as Peter crouch's!!

over a year ago

Now your just being silly

over a year ago

"He is a good player but far from world class "
Beg to differ...hate man utd but just cant let you get away with that statement

He is a superb player and most def world class

Why is he on 330k a week if he aint world class

over a year ago

Peter crouch's strike rate is good but in terms of longevity and in the modern game rooney is englands greatest ever striker....am i talking to the female half of the couples btw lol

over a year ago

If he was a box player like Lineker or shearer he would of a lot more goals by now but he offers a lot more for the team, But his goal record is still up there with the greats

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 18/11/14 23:22:06]

By *picyspiregirlCouple
over a year ago

chesterfield

"He is a good player but far from world class Beg to differ...hate man utd but just cant let you get away with that statement

He is a superb player and most def world class

Why is he on 330k a week if he aint world class"

Think how good pele would have been if he were on £330k a week!

over a year ago

His goals to games ratio with England is on a par with Ronaldos at Portugal.

Maybe some think Ronaldo isn't great.

over a year ago

Why is he on 330k a week if he aint world class

How much is Falcao on for Man utd? And his only got one goal??

Think players like Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar have always produced at the World Cup finals where Rooney has failed to shine takes the shine off his career to date.

over a year ago

"Rooney will end his career as the top goalscorer for England ever...by a considerable margin too.

They do say that, and believe it! If only his strike rate was as good as Peter crouch's!! "

Crouch scored 1 world cup goal....against the might of Trinidad & Tobago.

In his ENTIRE England career he only ever scored an away goal 4 times.

A seventh of his total England goals came against Jamaica.

So, yes, world class indeed,

over a year ago

"Why is he on 330k a week if he aint world class

How much is Falcao on for Man utd? And his only got one goal??

Think players like Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar have always produced at the World Cup finals where Rooney has failed to shine takes the shine off his career to date."

I think Ronaldo is the best footballer in the world, ever...but he has never shone at the World cup....nor has Neymar yet....or Messi come to think of it

over a year ago

"He is a good player but far from world class "
If not for His Tantrums etc he,d be In more peoples Good books but Its part of His persona And always has been at times In the Game But If you can look over that he,s Still A quality player and one of the best too.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 18/11/14 23:33:49]

over a year ago

"If he was a box player like Lineker or shearer he would of a lot more goals by now but he offers a lot more for the team, But his goal record is still up there with the greats"

By *picyspiregirlCouple
over a year ago

chesterfield

They do say that, and believe it! If only his strike rate was as good as Peter crouch's!!

Crouch scored 1 world cup goal....against the might of Trinidad & Tobago.

In his ENTIRE England career he only ever scored an away goal 4 times.

A seventh of his total England goals came against Jamaica.

So, yes, world class indeed, "

No one has ever said that crouch was world class, that would be silly!! He does have a strike rate that is almost twice as good as rooney's though.

Just to be clear, I don't believe either are world class. I do believe that Rooney is amongst the best of a bad lot.

over a year ago

Tough, but I just think that Rooney isn't as feared as so many players out there, even at the moment. Compared to true legends, he isn't quite as complete, regardless of his image or not.

His record and trophy collection are both impressive, but I'm sure modern defences would rather face Rooney than a lot of other players at present.

I'm a Rooney fan, but he's not a true legend, in my opinion.

over a year ago

Neymar scored goals for Brazil, Messi scored goals for Argentina, Ronaldo didn't have a particularly good World Cup but Rooney scored his first tap in goal in the World Cup finals.

over a year ago

No one has ever said that crouch was world class, that would be silly!! He does have a strike rate that is almost twice as good as rooney's though.

Just to be clear, I don't believe either are world class. I do believe that Rooney is amongst the best of a bad lot."

Sorry....youre wrong.

Crouch scored 22 goals in 42 games...a strike rate of 0.52 goals per game.

Rooney has 46 in 101, a rate of 0.45 goals per game.....that's nothing like double.

By *picyspiregirlCouple
over a year ago

chesterfield

[Removed by poster at 18/11/14 23:45:31]

By *picyspiregirlCouple
over a year ago

chesterfield

Just to be clear, I don't believe either are world class. I do believe that Rooney is amongst the best of a bad lot.

Sorry....youre wrong.

Crouch scored 22 goals in 42 games...a strike rate of 0.52 goals per game.

Rooney has 46 in 101, a rate of 0.45 goals per game.....that's nothing like double."

Rooney averages 172 minutes per goal. Crouch averages around 92 minutes per goal.

Not quite twice as good so you are right. Rooney is world class and an all time great. If I were to pick an all time England squad though Rooney would not be in it.

over a year ago

He was breath of fresh air 10 years ago and showed a lot of promise but on the big stage he has failed to deliver time and time again. He will get the games so he will get the goals but not one of England's greats not by a long way.

over a year ago

Rooney is world class. england rely on him to do well. He does well the team performs

over a year ago

Think players like Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar have always produced at the World Cup finals where Rooney has failed to shine takes the shine off his career to date.

I think Ronaldo is the best footballer in the world, ever...but he has never shone at the World cup....nor has Neymar yet....or Messi come to think of it

Messi got the golden ball award

Neymar got the bronze boot award

In Brazil 14

over a year ago

"Think players like Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar have always produced at the World Cup finals where Rooney has failed to shine takes the shine off his career to date.

Messi got the golden ball award

Neymar got the bronze boot award

In Brazil 14"

They have all done better than spud on the big stage I can't remember any of them sulking getting petulant or loosing control. Rooney is still partly living on the hype of being very good at a young age.

over a year ago

spud head (rooney) got his big break to a big club at an early age that propelled him into the spotlight and an England cap

thus as he started playing for England at a young age so naturally he will of been around long enough to claim the appearance and goal scoring records in due course.

given who he plays for makes him always in the newspapers and tv and all the hype that goes with it. But alas he is nothing more than an above average premiership player.

world class never in a month of Sundays when all his best performances are against mediocre opposition

over a year ago

ABU Alert ....

over a year ago

"ABU Alert ....

"

What has the quickimart got to do with potato head!

over a year ago

"ABU Alert ....

What has the quickimart got to do with potato head! "

Trying to work that one out myself, maybe Rooney's gonna make a special appearance in The Simpsons

over a year ago

"ABU Alert ....

What has the quickimart got to do with potato head!

Trying to work that one out myself, maybe Rooney's gonna make a special appearance in The Simpsons"

My money is on a cameo as Ralf's twin but slightly thicker brother.

over a year ago

Rooney was at a big club when he got his break you're right. Everton

By *U1966Man
over a year ago

Devon

Average player who is protected by the F.A. in club games has no discipline he would of scored more goals if had stayed up front and gave the other players more options

over a year ago

Until Rooney performs at a World Cup or Euros, he can only be considered average. He is a bottler in the big games. Personally I dont think goals in friendlies should be counted.

His record, without the last couple of games below

Games Goals

Friendlies 36 10

World Cup 11 1

World Cup Qualifier 22 16

European Championship 6 5

European Ch. Qual. 22 9

Other Tournaments 2 2

By *eavensent78Couple
over a year ago

west mids

World class players perform on the big stage in big games win big games with a touch of magic almost single handed zidane fat Ronaldo Romario Ronaldinho stoichcov iniesta messi maradona just to name a few rooney is not even close to the standard of any of the names above but as I said he is a good player

over a year ago

"Until Rooney performs at a World Cup or Euros, he can only be considered average. He is a bottler in the big games. Personally I dont think goals in friendlies should be counted.

His record, without the last couple of games below

Games Goals

Friendlies 36 10

World Cup 11 1

World Cup Qualifier 22 16

European Championship 6 5

European Ch. Qual. 22 9

Other Tournaments 2 2"

Apart from the first European campaign 2004 when he had a fantastic competition he has repeatedly failed on the world stage. He is a good player and a fantastic premier league player but world class is something else. I honestly think that the premiership cant produce real world class players from this country at the moment as they're not hungry enough. The vast majority of them think they've made it when they step onto the training pitch with the first team, when that's just the first step. But that's for another thread

over a year ago

I thought he was very good last night and very fit. I'm a scot and we were well beaten by a good looking team with younger players. As a team you look better and sharper than when you were in the World Cup. England has been blessed with many really good strikers. Greaves, Shearer and Liniker were great but when Rooney is fully tuned up he is a force to be reasoned with. I've seen them all and Charlton although not a striker was exceptional. As Scots we work with very limited resources your teams do have loads of potential. With the right mentality you could win this cup. Jim

By *luezuluMan
over a year ago

Suffolk

Lineaker, Charlton, Shearer and Greaves all played in England teams that were better than the teams Rooney has played in, Lineker , Greaves and Shearer were out and out strikers, Rooney covers more of the pitch, and comes looking for the ball.

When people talk about the greats of the game, Bobby Charlton will always be mentioned in the top 10 of all time.

Is Rooney world class YES

Is Rooney one of the world greats NO

Oh and I'm not a Man U fan

SOTV

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Rooney is one of the best I have ever seen

at kicking a ball into a moving boat, or even controlling a ball thrown to him from the top of a block of flats before controlling it, turning and lobbing it into a skip.

over a year ago

Rooney world class? I think some people need to watch football as he is well short of that if he was one of the big teams would have bought him by now.

By *luezuluMan
over a year ago

Suffolk

"Rooney world class? I think some people need to watch football as he is well short of that if he was one of the big teams would have bought him by now. "

He'd get in your side

Oh sorry, you were talking about big teams, weren't you

over a year ago

"Rooney world class? I think some people need to watch football as he is well short of that if he was one of the big teams would have bought him by now.

He'd get in your side

Oh sorry, you were talking about big teams, weren't you "

You can't help being childish can you.

By *luezuluMan
over a year ago

Suffolk

"Rooney world class? I think some people need to watch football as he is well short of that if he was one of the big teams would have bought him by now.

He'd get in your side

You can't help being childish can you. "

Nope

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Its funny, when you see opposition fans, players, whatevers being asked who do they fear the most in an England shirt, they usually answer Rooney.

over a year ago

He'd get in your side

You can't help being childish can you. "

There are some guys who never got past adolescence so what do you expect.

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

And some people say he's the best of a bad bunch. .... "

Well said. Captain of his Club, Captain of his country and as you said top ever goal scorer for country and maybe even for Club.

It does not get any better than that.

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

"Rooney world class? I think some people need to watch football as he is well short of that if he was one of the big teams would have bought him by now. "

Statistics don't lie. Look at the post above.

over a year ago

"I thought he was very good last night and very fit. I'm a scot and we were well beaten by a good looking team with younger players. As a team you look better and sharper than when you were in the World Cup. England has been blessed with many really good strikers. Greaves, Shearer and Liniker were great but when Rooney is fully tuned up he is a force to be reasoned with. I've seen them all and Charlton although not a striker was exceptional. As Scots we work with very limited resources your teams do have loads of potential. With the right mentality you could win this cup. Jim"

I think you left out Stevie Bull when you mentioned the greats

over a year ago

Statistics don't lie. Look at the post above."

So he is playing for Bayern Munich Real Madrid, Barcelona or even Chelsea, Man city? No he isn't he is captaining a mediocre team! As you say statistics don't lie.

By *luezuluMan
over a year ago

Suffolk

He'd get in your side

There are some guys who never got past adolescence so what do you expect. "

If someone has a pop at me, I will have a go back.

Even if it is a way that I find funny, I don't really care if they don't, now before you start calling people childish, I suggest you click on the little icon next to the geezer who I retaliated against, then come back to me and tell me who is more childish, the Phil Taylor thread is a prime example

over a year ago

He'd get in your side

There are some guys who never got past adolescence so what do you expect.

If someone has a pop at me, I will have a go back.

Even if it is a way that I find funny, I don't really care if they don't, now before you start calling people childish, I suggest you click on the little icon next to the geezer who I retaliated against, then come back to me and tell me who is more childish, the Phil Taylor thread is a prime example"

In your own words "you're talking out your arse fella" grow up you need to.

over a year ago

"Lineaker, Charlton, Shearer and Greaves all played in England teams that were better than the teams Rooney has played in, Lineker , Greaves and Shearer were out and out strikers, Rooney covers more of the pitch, and comes looking for the ball.

When people talk about the greats of the game, Bobby Charlton will always be mentioned in the top 10 of all time.

Is Rooney world class YES

Is Rooney one of the world greats NO

Oh and I'm not a Man U fan

SOTV "

I tend to agree with this and my fellow Scot above. This particular team are better than the World Cup squad

Wayne Rooney is not a penalty box striker, he is at best an attacking midfielder who has an eye for goal.

The Press built him up to be some kinda supergod and then crucified him when his team mates let him down. Football is a team game and yes one or two solo players shine, but they need the rest if the team behind them to show their skills

In the international scene Rooney doesn't have that, he is expected to play the striker role where he is uncomfortable.

At Man Utd Ferguson knew his strengths and weaknesses and played to them. He built the team around them.

The England squad are built on winning every game they play and this mentality is more often than not their downfall. Build a team around the likes of Rooney and Wellbeck and be a more successful unit

Post new Message to Thread