Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Reykjavik

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Mrs P and myself are off to Reykjavik in February. Flights are sorted but haven't booked a hotel yet. Has anyone been and can you recommend a hotel ?

We are hoping to do a bit of whale watching and hopefully see the northern lights. Again , can anyone recommend trips to take or excursions to book. We will be there for four days but hooping to cram a lot in. We also like a drink so bar/pub recommendations will come in handy as well.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Wow!.

Jealous.

over a year ago

"Mrs P and myself are off to Reykjavik in February. Flights are sorted but haven't booked a hotel yet. Has anyone been and can you recommend a hotel ?

We are hoping to do a bit of whale watching and hopefully see the northern lights. Again , can anyone recommend trips to take or excursions to book. We will be there for four days but hooping to cram a lot in. We also like a drink so bar/pub recommendations will come in handy as well. "

Thinking of going there next year too so love to know what you think of it x

over a year ago

"Mrs P and myself are off to Reykjavik in February. Flights are sorted but haven't booked a hotel yet. Has anyone been and can you recommend a hotel ?

We are hoping to do a bit of whale watching and hopefully see the northern lights. Again , can anyone recommend trips to take or excursions to book. We will be there for four days but hooping to cram a lot in. We also like a drink so bar/pub recommendations will come in handy as well.

Thinking of going there next year too so love to know what you think of it x"

It's not too dear to fly there , hotels seem ok and there is a lot of choice. It looks spectacular and there is certainly plenty to go and see.

By *y2funMan
over a year ago

DUDLEY

"Mrs P and myself are off to Reykjavik in February. "

lucky you I really like the idea of going there, esp in the summer.... allday sunlight.

over a year ago

If you like to drink start saving now.....alcohol is very expensive.

Most of the bars dont fill up till late and empty just as quickly.

over a year ago

"If you like to drink start saving now.....alcohol is very expensive.

Most of the bars dont fill up till late and empty just as quickly."

We have a list of all the happy hours, beer is about £5 a pint and wine £7 a glass. A bit more expensive than London prices but not too extortionate.

over a year ago

That seems a little conservative given my recent visit.

over a year ago

"That seems a little conservative given my recent visit."

You'll probably know more than me as I'm just searching the net. What is your experience of the prices ?

over a year ago

I sent my mum and dad there a few years back , they said it was amazing but very expensive. No help really.

over a year ago

"I sent my mum and dad there a few years back , they said it was amazing but very expensive. No help really. "

Have you allowed them back ?

By *oobsandballsMan
over a year ago

st andrews

My friends are just back from there, I'll ask them

over a year ago

"My friends are just back from there, I'll ask them "

Ta

over a year ago

We are hoping to do a bit of whale watching and hopefully see the northern lights. Again , can anyone recommend trips to take or excursions to book. We will be there for four days but hooping to cram a lot in. We also like a drink so bar/pub recommendations will come in handy as well. "

I was there for 4 days 2 weeks ago and had a great time. Plenty of recommendations (get a 4x4 car!) and I can give you details of the wonderful cabin we stayed in, though it is about 45 minutes from the city if you like. Would it be ok to message you with the info and recommendations?

over a year ago

I was there for 4 days 2 weeks ago and had a great time. Plenty of recommendations (get a 4x4 car!) and I can give you details of the wonderful cabin we stayed in, though it is about 45 minutes from the city if you like. Would it be ok to message you with the info and recommendations?

"

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Only put allowed links in please

By *octor DeleriumMan
over a year ago

Bristol

"

You'll probably know more than me as I'm just searching the net. What is your experience of the prices ? "

I'm going to recommend Hotel Borg; very central, great rooms and fantastic service. The baths are huge and the hot water is faintly sulphurous making for a great soak.

Other hotels are available.

Alcohol is fairly expensive but most Icelanders tend to slip down a few drinks before heading into the bars and clubs; despite this the atmosphere is incredibly friendly, the music is great and people tend to move from bar to bar over the course of an evening.

To mitigate, there is a very good duty free that you can purchase from on arrival at RKV and the prices are very reasonable.

I loved the food, but then I really enjoy fish. I did draw the line at boiled skate and cured shark.

The lamb is excellent but I didn't enjoy boiled sheep head and ram testicles were a bit close to home.

I would recommend getting hold of the Lonely Planet guide in book form or taking a look at lonelyplanet.com/Iceland to plan your visit.

It's a fantastic country, incredibly friendly people and quite amazing geography and natural formations.

Do consider hiring a car as some of the really impressive geysers, waterfalls and historical sites are some distance from Reykjavik.

Feel free to PM if you want any additional information.

over a year ago

"

You'll probably know more than me as I'm just searching the net. What is your experience of the prices ?

I'm going to recommend Hotel Borg; very central, great rooms and fantastic service. The baths are huge and the hot water is faintly sulphurous making for a great soak.

Other hotels are available.

Alcohol is fairly expensive but most Icelanders tend to slip down a few drinks before heading into the bars and clubs; despite this the atmosphere is incredibly friendly, the music is great and people tend to move from bar to bar over the course of an evening.

To mitigate, there is a very good duty free that you can purchase from on arrival at RKV and the prices are very reasonable.

I loved the food, but then I really enjoy fish. I did draw the line at boiled skate and cured shark.

The lamb is excellent but I didn't enjoy boiled sheep head and ram testicles were a bit close to home.

I would recommend getting hold of the Lonely Planet guide in book form or taking a look at lonelyplanet.com/Iceland to plan your visit.

It's a fantastic country, incredibly friendly people and quite amazing geography and natural formations.

Do consider hiring a car as some of the really impressive geysers, waterfalls and historical sites are some distance from Reykjavik.

Feel free to PM if you want any additional information."

Great , exactly what we're after. The Borg is on our shortlist. We weren't thinking of hiring a car but doing organised trips. But we'll look into it now.

By *octor DeleriumMan
over a year ago

Bristol

"Great , exactly what we're after. The Borg is on our shortlist. We weren't thinking of hiring a car but doing organised trips. But we'll look into it now. "

Organised trips will typically run at around €60 per half day per person, and doubling for a full day.

A car will allow you to stop where you wish, rather than where the tour is going to stop, so you can pull over and admire the scenery rather than watching it zip past the minibus/coach window.

Traffic is light and the roads are excellent.

Have fun in your planning.

over a year ago

Amazing. How brilliant! I'm jealous too. The northern lights, I would so love to see.

over a year ago

Amazing. How brilliant! I'm jealous too. The northern lights, I would so love to see. "

Reading up on it the conditions have to be just right to see the lights, but we're there for four days so hopefully we'll get a good show.

over a year ago

Amazing. How brilliant! I'm jealous too. The northern lights, I would so love to see.

Reading up on it the conditions have to be just right to see the lights, but we're there for four days so hopefully we'll get a good show. "

Oh I hope you get to see them!! Lucky so n so,s ..... Sneek me in I promise to carry your bags! I'll serve well honestly!

over a year ago

Reading up on it the conditions have to be just right to see the lights, but we're there for four days so hopefully we'll get a good show.

Oh I hope you get to see them!! Lucky so n so,s ..... Sneek me in I promise to carry your bags! I'll serve well honestly! "

over a year ago

The Northern lights are getting way too popular now.

I am waiting for the Northern black out to make a come back

Enjoy yourselves.

If you bump into Bjork, gag her !

over a year ago

"The Northern lights are getting way too popular now.

I am waiting for the Northern black out to make a come back

Enjoy yourselves.

If you bump into Bjork, gag her !"

I used to fancy her.

over a year ago

I was there in 2002 I'd be interested to know how it's changed since the banking crisis as a can of was 3£ back then and beer was 8£, couldn't afford wine .

Fantastic place to visit though and I never saw the lights but then again I was there in June and didn't see darkness either

over a year ago

A truly amazing place - unique sights, Fantastic restaurants & v expensive !! We were there pre-kids & hope to get back one day

Have a great trip x

over a year ago

"I was there in 2002 I'd be interested to know how it's changed since the banking crisis as a can of was 3£ back then and beer was 8£, couldn't afford wine .

Fantastic place to visit though and I never saw the lights but then again I was there in June and didn't see darkness either "

I've heard it's a little cheaper since their economy crashed. But I may just bring booze with us if what everyone is telling us is true.

By *effrey45Man
over a year ago

Lytham

Spent around 6 months working there on and off

There are quite a few myths about Iceland

But here are my views

1) forget about wine - pricey

2) cheap beer can be found relatively easy - some bars in the main drag are good

3) feb whale watching could be tricky ax they haven't arrived yet

4) northern lights better in November December

5) classic tours like the golden circle, geysir, gulfoss etc very good

6) parliament worth a visit

7) any of the glaciers good

8) summer midgies can be a problem

9) in feb the dark still a problem and the locals stay in a lot more

10) they get very d*unk but are very friendly

11) d*unk people will want to talk to you

12) puffin tours are good - the special in the restaurant is puffin also

13) go far north it's stunning

14) drive past the submarine hiding places we used in the war

15) never bring up the subject of whale hunting

16) most Icelandic men can be very sexist and rude to their women

17) beer has only been there for 3o years

18) to have a dog you used to have to prove a need for it

19) they love their hot water

20) on a day when the wind is different you can get a good view if the power station next to the blue lagoon

21) only married American servicemen are allowed to serve there

22) the women are stunning sharing 2 dominant genes giving unique eye and hair combinations

23) it's the best play I have ever visited but I haven't been to Vietnam yet

I hope this helps

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

my dad used to work there ...they had a £50 a day beer alowance .it was 3 pints

By *effrey45Man
over a year ago

Lytham

That's what he told your mum

over a year ago

"Spent around 6 months working there on and off

There are quite a few myths about Iceland

But here are my views

1) forget about wine - pricey

2) cheap beer can be found relatively easy - some bars in the main drag are good

3) feb whale watching could be tricky ax they haven't arrived yet

4) northern lights better in November December

5) classic tours like the golden circle, geysir, gulfoss etc very good

6) parliament worth a visit

7) any of the glaciers good

8) summer midgies can be a problem

9) in feb the dark still a problem and the locals stay in a lot more

10) they get very d*unk but are very friendly

11) d*unk people will want to talk to you

12) puffin tours are good - the special in the restaurant is puffin also

13) go far north it's stunning

14) drive past the submarine hiding places we used in the war

15) never bring up the subject of whale hunting

16) most Icelandic men can be very sexist and rude to their women

17) beer has only been there for 3o years

18) to have a dog you used to have to prove a need for it

19) they love their hot water

20) on a day when the wind is different you can get a good view if the power station next to the blue lagoon

21) only married American servicemen are allowed to serve there

22) the women are stunning sharing 2 dominant genes giving unique eye and hair combinations

23) it's the best play I have ever visited but I haven't been to Vietnam yet

I hope this helps"

Thanks very much.

Unfortunately we have to go in February as that's the only time Mrs P has off. Some companies do a whale watching tour then but we will look further into. The northern lights would be a massive bonus but it isn't the main reason for our trip, but obviously we'll be delighted with any show we get. Your tips will come in very helpful , cheers

over a year ago

If it's £5 a pint I'm off to start a brewery in Iceland

By *effrey45Man
over a year ago

Lytham

Oooh sorry forgot

Icelandic pony trek - great and very tough horses

Husky safari

Snowmobiles

The bit of the island that was overcome by volcano also great - you can still see washing machines etc in the lava

Loads more info if you want to mail me any other q's

It's like nowhere else

By *obbytupperMan
over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

"If you like to drink start saving now.....alcohol is very expensive.

Most of the bars dont fill up till late and empty just as quickly.

We have a list of all the happy hours, beer is about £5 a pint and wine £7 a glass. A bit more expensive than London prices but not too extortionate. "

Must be a Northern thing.

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

Give us a lift to Euston tomoz and I'll review my hotel for ya

over a year ago

Give us a lift to Euston tomoz and I'll review my hotel for ya "

Sorry just seen this. Of course I would have taken you.

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

Sorry just seen this. Of course I would have taken you. "

I'll review it for ya anyway

over a year ago

Sorry just seen this. Of course I would have taken you.

I'll review it for ya anyway "

Your a good girl

By *lanwoodMan
over a year ago

Alton

I went to Reykjavik in February this year, saw the Northern Lights and went whale watching. If you are going soon, this may be the wrong time of year for the Northern Lights, a bit early perhaps. Winter is best. PM me if you want to know where we stayed or any other information etc.

By *lanwoodMan
over a year ago

Alton

I can't send a PM to the OP but here is a bit more information from my visit to Iceland last February. I stayed at the Hotel Centrum, which was in a great location, within minutes from the central area where you get the tour buses. Also nearby the harbour if you want to go whale watching, and near the shops. I also went to the Blue Lagoon, which was great, as well as a day's Golden Circle Classic tour and also the Northern Lights Mystery Tour. All the excursions were run by Gray Line, a great company. Hope that helps.

Post new Message to Thread