Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Dalhias in garden.

Jump to newest

By *at69drive OP   Man
over a year ago

Hertford

I have just lifted some of mine as I do not want to risk losing them in the frost .It can be a time consuming task as I have houses at five different locations .Do you lift yours or leave them in. Those that I leave in tend to flower better the following year unless the frost kills them.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I only leave the evil ones in, as a warning to the others.. muaaahahaha

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

My clay soil helps them rot over winter if the frost doesn't kill them. If they're lifted and dried it leaves some space and allows soil to be prepared and dug over well, ready for next year. Occasionally have them live over winter in situ, if I didn't manage the lifting.

Very easy to root cuttings in spring from your sprouting shoots.

over a year ago

im lethal in the garden - i cut everything back - leave everything in - and thank god it all survives - ive lost a conifer and a couple of shrubs but i buy them all off the sad shelf anyway so its more luck that they all survive - got a whole container of brilliant white chrysanths at the mo - and the nasturtiums are still glowing bright - til that first frost grabs them

By *at69drive OP   Man
over a year ago

Hertford

"im lethal in the garden - i cut everything back - leave everything in - and thank god it all survives - ive lost a conifer and a couple of shrubs but i buy them all off the sad shelf anyway so its more luck that they all survive - got a whole container of brilliant white chrysanths at the mo - and the nasturtiums are still glowing bright - til that first frost grabs them "
. I love my Dalhias and they get lots of comments . Will lift as many as I can. Would cost hundreds of pounds to replace them all. Gives me a real buzz when people admire the garden. You can only spend a limited time having sex.

over a year ago

"im lethal in the garden - i cut everything back - leave everything in - and thank god it all survives - ive lost a conifer and a couple of shrubs but i buy them all off the sad shelf anyway so its more luck that they all survive - got a whole container of brilliant white chrysanths at the mo - and the nasturtiums are still glowing bright - til that first frost grabs them . I love my Dalhias and they get lots of comments . Will lift as many as I can. Would cost hundreds of pounds to replace them all. Gives me a real buzz when people admire the garden. You can only spend a limited time having sex. "

sex in the garden then - ultimate joy

By *at69drive OP   Man
over a year ago

Hertford

"im lethal in the garden - i cut everything back - leave everything in - and thank god it all survives - ive lost a conifer and a couple of shrubs but i buy them all off the sad shelf anyway so its more luck that they all survive - got a whole container of brilliant white chrysanths at the mo - and the nasturtiums are still glowing bright - til that first frost grabs them . I love my Dalhias and they get lots of comments . Will lift as many as I can. Would cost hundreds of pounds to replace them all. Gives me a real buzz when people admire the garden. You can only spend a limited time having sex.

sex in the garden then - ultimate joy "

. Yes as long as I don't get pricked on the roses .

over a year ago

Yes dahlias are a nice flower with their Different colours and shades, If left In The ground they are always vulnerable From pests,the frost etc, but can survive for a short period If they get Past this and remind you of what splendour they provide, I always notice Earwigs play their part In being present

Where chrysantheuims and dahlias are Concerned one creature I try and avoid Due to memorys of one hanging off my Finger tip when I was a youngster.

over a year ago

"I have just lifted some of mine as I do not want to risk losing them in the frost .It can be a time consuming task as I have houses at five different locations .Do you lift yours or leave them in. Those that I leave in tend to flower better the following year unless the frost kills them."
I dig mine in pretty deep and cut to under the soil. then in spring give a good mulch and they do grow better each year

By *at69drive OP   Man
over a year ago

Hertford

"My clay soil helps them rot over winter if the frost doesn't kill them. If they're lifted and dried it leaves some space and allows soil to be prepared and dug over well, ready for next year. Occasionally have them live over winter in situ, if I didn't manage the lifting.

H

Very easy to root cuttings in spring from your sprouting shoots."

Have clay soil in Cambridgeshire so always lift them and store in an outhouse .

By *at69drive OP   Man
over a year ago

Hertford

"Yes dahlias are a nice flower with their Different colours and shades, If left In The ground they are always vulnerable From pests,the frost etc, but can survive for a short period If they get Past this and remind you of what splendour they provide, I always notice Earwigs play their part In being present

Where chrysantheuims and dahlias are Concerned one creature I try and avoid Due to memorys of one hanging off my Finger tip when I was a youngster. "

I will try and lift at least 75 % of them. Lost a lot during the cold winter of 2010 /11. Strangely one massive one survived but it was near a wall. In the spring most had rotted and I was just left with empty holes in the ground .

By *at69drive OP   Man
over a year ago

Hertford

"I have just lifted some of mine as I do not want to risk losing them in the frost .It can be a time consuming task as I have houses at five different locations .Do you lift yours or leave them in. Those that I leave in tend to flower better the following year unless the frost kills them. I dig mine in pretty deep and cut to under the soil. then in spring give a good mulch and they do grow better each year"
Sounds like you take a chance and hope that the depth at which they are planted protects them. I did cover all my gardens with frost blankets one year but not sure how effective they are if there is a prolonged frost . Lifted all my begonias as well but they were very disappointing this year .

Post new Message to Thread