bi polar disorder

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Just be giving medication for it. Sertraline anyone been on this medication

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Not on medication yet, but have relatively been successful with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. Good luck seeking stability.

over a year ago

"Just be giving medication for it. Sertraline anyone been on this medication "
Many respects to you for being so open about your condition

Sarah x

over a year ago

I suggest CBT if your not already having it. The meds help but don't treat the cause and you can get in a vicious cycle

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Am open and honest about everthing in my life people dont like it walk on by dont message me

over a year ago

"Am open and honest about everthing in my life people dont like it walk on by dont message me"
Absolutely right too

Sarah x

over a year ago

Will do the job x watch for side effects

over a year ago

What are the symptoms of it? Bull

over a year ago

"What are the symptoms of it? Bull"
Symptoms vary from person to person. It used to be called manic depression. But 'basically' sufferers (I prefer the term 'survivors') can experience periods of dramatic highs, incorporating out of character behaviour. Risky living, overspending, fast thoughts, movements, delusions. Followed by a period of feeling low, lethargic, despondent

Sarah x

over a year ago

I'm on the same medication for depression and OCD, not had any untoward side effects just yet been on them bout 2 months

By *adyGardenWoman
over a year ago

LONDON (se)

Didn't think thos qas normally prescribed for bi polar. This is normally a temporary medication for depression and ptsd.

Bi polar normally needs life long medicating.

If you were diagnosed by a gp I would suggest you ask for therapy and seek another diagnosis from a psychologist.

Dr diagnose it without any real knowledge.

Don't drink on it what ever you do as the affects and side affects can be worsened.

over a year ago

I am on sertraline it's great . I don't have bi polar

By *adyGardenWoman
over a year ago

LONDON (se)

"I am on sertraline it's great . I don't have bi polar "

It is odd as it isn't normally prescribed for that.

I suffer with severe depression and become rather irrational when I don't take my medication which is venlavaxine. I had years of various therapies and drugs until finding what worked for me.

over a year ago

"I am on sertraline it's great . I don't have bi polar

I suffer with severe depression and become rather irrational when I don't take my medication which is venlavaxine. I had years of various therapies and drugs until finding what worked for me. "

We are not doctors .

over a year ago

I suffer with severe depression and become rather irrational when I don't take my medication which is venlavaxine. I had years of various therapies and drugs until finding what worked for me. "

I think Sertraline can be used on a variety of mental health conditions, depending on the dosage. Plus, sometimes doctors (or the leaflets that come with medication) don't tell patients this so as not to frighten them in to thinking they have a really 'bad' mental health condition.

Sarah x

over a year ago

I took venlaflaxine for bout 3 years and found it didn't help me at all so changed to serataline recently, changing over was awful tho, knocked me for 6 for a week but so far so good

By *adyGardenWoman
over a year ago

LONDON (se)

Anyway OP how do you think you are deling with it and do you feel you need medication to help?

Some people find they can do other things to contract the symptoms without a need for medication while other feel they co possibly cope day to day without them.

It is a long process though to find what truly works for you.

I admire anyone brave enough to admit mental health issues as itis still very much stigmatised.

Good luck in you path to finding peace in your mind

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

I was on venlafaxine (efexor) slow release for about 8 years . Unfortunately I had to cange doctors and they wouldnt prescribe it. On citalopram now. dont like it. just leaves me flat.

Im not bi polar. just depressed.

over a year ago

I suffer from depression as well am currently taking venlafaxine. My husband also suffers from depression, he has just had a major melt down today. Walking out of his job, threating to drive his car into a bus or just plan walk out on me and out children. He is laid on the bed rocking back and forth I can't get anywords out of him and am sat waiting on the drs to call me back.

I have no idea what to do to help.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I'm not on that but a cocktail of other drugs, my main mood stabilisers are sodium valporate and lamitigine then on others for depression and the pscosis. I've also been doing CBT for about 12 years now once a fortnight.

Good luck. At least they didn't stick you on lithium

over a year ago

"I suffer from depression as well am currently taking venlafaxine. My husband also suffers from depression, he has just had a major melt down today. Walking out of his job, threating to drive his car into a bus or just plan walk out on me and out children. He is laid on the bed rocking back and forth I can't get anywords out of him and am sat waiting on the drs to call me back.

I have no idea what to do to help. "

I feel for you. Just keep being there for him, and try keep him as calm as possible

Sarah xx

over a year ago

"I suffer from depression as well am currently taking venlafaxine. My husband also suffers from depression, he has just had a major melt down today. Walking out of his job, threating to drive his car into a bus or just plan walk out on me and out children. He is laid on the bed rocking back and forth I can't get anywords out of him and am sat waiting on the drs to call me back.

I have no idea what to do to help. I feel for you. Just keep being there for him, and try keep him as calm as possible

Sarah xx"

and stay on fabswingers til the docs call back to keep you calm keeping him calm

Sarah x

By *adyGardenWoman
over a year ago

LONDON (se)

I suffer with severe depression and become rather irrational when I don't take my medication which is venlavaxine. I had years of various therapies and drugs until finding what worked for me.

I was on venlafaxine (efexor) slow release for about 8 years . Unfortunately I had to cange doctors and they wouldnt prescribe it. On citalopram now. dont like it. just leaves me flat.

"

I'm on the prolonged release too and take 75 in the morning and 75 in the evening.

I took citalopram for a while too and did nothing but make me feel emotionally numb.

Don't except a Dr not prescribing something that works for you and insist on it. It is the only drug I have taken that makes me feel normal for want of a better word.

It is more costly which may be why they won't and GPs do get money from drug companies for prescribing their product over others. I would kick up a stink if a new GP didn't prescribe it to me.

over a year ago

Sarah I was gonna pm u but I can't cis I'm a women x

over a year ago

"Sarah I was gonna pm u but I can't cis I'm a women x "
Messaged you x

over a year ago

Probably don't log into fab may help

By *y2funMan
over a year ago

DUDLEY

"At least they didn't stick you on lithium

"

isn't Lithium one of the older drugs not used as much now?

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"At least they didn't stick you on lithium

isn't Lithium one of the older drugs not used as much now?"

well it is yes I was on it for years till they tried me on something else but I know someone whose only just been prescribed it and I was shocked as the same person who put her on it always trialled me for knew stuff but different things work for different people. Just going by this thread it shows different people react to different things.

over a year ago

Call samaritans see if he will talk to them.

I find in these situations it's a very small thing that can help rather than everyone in complete panic.

The laughter of a child, a happy song on radio, favourite perfume.

Something to get him thinking positive thoughts. But subtly

By *y2funMan
over a year ago

DUDLEY

" Just going by this thread it shows different people react to different things.

"

yes and your GP and psych doc will know best, if it works for you then it has to be good... also nice positive thread makes a change to hear good stuff about mental health and not the shit the papers liek to print....

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

" Just going by this thread it shows different people react to different things.

yes and your GP and psych doc will know best, if it works for you then it has to be good... also nice positive thread makes a change to hear good stuff about mental health and not the shit the papers liek to print...."

the more people talk about it the better and modern medication and therapy is so much better nowadays. They've finally got me on a cocktail of medication that keeps me more stable than I've ever been.

over a year ago

Does anyone know what the youngest age is that you can be diagnosed for this?

I think my nine yr old daughter may have it! xx

By *y2funMan
over a year ago

DUDLEY

"I think my nine yr old daughter may have it! xx"

I'm no doctor but from what I have learn't some psych doc's will diagnose younger children but not all.. at 9 thats very younger to label someone.

have you seen a child psych with her? that would be the first port of call..

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"Does anyone know what the youngest age is that you can be diagnosed for this?

I think my nine yr old daughter may have it! xx"

the symptoms for childhood bi polar are completely different from an adult, but there is help for children out there someone I know left to work with children with mental illness

over a year ago

"I think my nine yr old daughter may have it! xx

I'm no doctor but from what I have learn't some psych doc's will diagnose younger children but not all.. at 9 thats very younger to label someone.

have you seen a child psych with her? that would be the first port of call.. "

After 'battling' for 4 years I got her accepted at cahms. I had to go on a parenting course to make sure I wasn't the problem - which I understood - and after that they gave her 6 weeks of art therapy. Because she hasn't got a 'recognised illness' (we know she's not autistic and hasn't got adhd) they had no further funding for her - and signed her off!! Her school on the other hand have been great. She's had nurture groups, counselling, and is now seeing a psychiatrist! However, unless she gets a 'label' (however awful that may sound) by the time she leaves primary education, she's unlikely to receive help in secondary education. It's the way the system seems to work in kids i'm afraid!

By *adyGardenWoman
over a year ago

LONDON (se)

"I think my nine yr old daughter may have it! xx

have you seen a child psych with her? that would be the first port of call..

After 'battling' for 4 years I got her accepted at cahms. I had to go on a parenting course to make sure I wasn't the problem - which I understood - and after that they gave her 6 weeks of art therapy. Because she hasn't got a 'recognised illness' (we know she's not autistic and hasn't got adhd) they had no further funding for her - and signed her off!! Her school on the other hand have been great. She's had nurture groups, counselling, and is now seeing a psychiatrist! However, unless she gets a 'label' (however awful that may sound) by the time she leaves primary education, she's unlikely to receive help in secondary education. It's the way the system seems to work in kids i'm afraid! "

Sadly it also depends where you live on the type of help available.

The thing with younger children is that they really don't want to label them.

I believe my youngest has hdd but because she isnt naughty my ex things I'm being stupid. She chats all day is singing and dancing all the time and has anger issues. I actually read uo about it so I could help her. Now her anger is under control but she is still a constant bundle of energy.

over a year ago

Do you have a local mental health team who can advise?

G.P.'s aren't trained in mental illness and so your local mental health team would be the first port of call in my opinion.

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

I'm on the prolonged release too and take 75 in the morning and 75 in the evening.

I took citalopram for a while too and did nothing but make me feel emotionally numb.

Don't except a Dr not prescribing something that works for you and insist on it. It is the only drug I have taken that makes me feel normal for want of a better word.

It is more costly which may be why they won't and GPs do get money from drug companies for prescribing their product over others. I would kick up a stink if a new GP didn't prescribe it to me.

"

Yes ! Thats it Emotionally numb.. no ups or downs .. I did feel really well on efexor and I was still able to feel horny. The citalopram do kill sexual desire completely . sigh.

He also prescribed amytriptolene there seem to be so many medications. Glad your meds work for you..

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

I have no idea what to do to help.

Do you have a local mental health team who can advise?

G.P.'s aren't trained in mental illness and so your local mental health team would be the first port of call in my opinion."

this..

even 'out of hours' some area's have staff on duty to help..

By *he tactile technicianMan
over a year ago

the good lands, the bad lands, the any where you may want me lands

have you someone that you can really rely on to give you support? If you haven't you're on your own. My recommendation is find a supportive friend that who between you, you can flag the signs of your condition swinging from the manic to the very low, work out between you what will work best for you when you're in these states, and most off all ensure that your support realises that this is it for the long haul...15, twenty, thirty years plus.

Good luck, embrace your difference and make it work for you.

By *adyGardenWoman
over a year ago

LONDON (se)

"have you someone that you can really rely on to give you support? If you haven't you're on your own. My recommendation is find a supportive friend that who between you, you can flag the signs of your condition swinging from the manic to the very low, work out between you what will work best for you when you're in these states, and most off all ensure that your support realises that this is it for the long haul...15, twenty, thirty years plus.

Good luck, embrace your difference and make it work for you."

I do. My good frind is bi polar and when she gets in one of her argumentative moods I just tell her to get over herself and we laugh about it. We are a good support for each other and she has now found an understanding boyfriend.

By *iggles and BeardyCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

Cbt is how i beardy deal with it, learning what my triggers are seems to help a lot. I rufused meds full stop, seen to many friends on different meds to go down that path.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

My friends, mum and jay are brilliant the know the signs and my mum went on a training course. If I'm really bad she comes and does everything for me. When I used to get hospitalised my friends used to cause I riot when visiting and used to say I was on my holidays we felt with it with humour. Thankfully I've not had to go into hospital for quite some time

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

All meds are optional but be very careful about sudden withdrawal. Often a few meds are tried, including concurrently, and there is no magic bullet cure.

A psychiatrist can diagnose and prescribe though a psychologist won't prescribe.

Long term talking therapy would probably be helpful for this, not restricted to just cbt.

As we don't know the full details we're giving our info based on sketchy data.

Definitely worth pushing for more support.

over a year ago

I'm always pleasantly surprised at how supportive and open everyone is on these forums. I guess the beauty of a site like this is people tend to be much less judgemental.

I wish you all happiness, stability and all the kink you can handle on here x

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"All meds are optional but be very careful about sudden withdrawal. Often a few meds are tried, including concurrently, and there is no magic bullet cure.

A psychiatrist can diagnose and prescribe though a psychologist won't prescribe.

Long term talking therapy would probably be helpful for this, not restricted to just cbt.

As we don't know the full details we're giving our info based on sketchy data.

Definitely worth pushing for more support."

that's not strictly true, my meds aren't optional its part of my care plan. If I don't take them for any length of time I become very poorly so they would section me to make me take them

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

Quite worried about your situation . Doesnt sound too great I wonder if it would be a good idea to send kids to friends or grandparents for a while. Maybe they shouldnt be seeing how Dad is right now.

I was going to pm but filters wont allow. Hope you get some help soon.

over a year ago

At the risk of sounding inappropriate its good to see im not the only unhinged one on here! Citalopram for me - keeps my nice and stable but learnt that if i double up before a night out it can be fun!

over a year ago

ive had sertraline in the past for depression not bi-polar - it took a couple of weeks to get into my system but worked for me

By *riendly FiresCouple
over a year ago

Beverley

Drs or get him to AandE. You can ask Dr for a MH Act Asst if you don't feel he is getting support or able to keep self safe. Good luck

over a year ago

"I'm always pleasantly surprised at how supportive and open everyone is on these forums. I guess the beauty of a site like this is people tend to be much less judgemental.

I wish you all happiness, stability and all the kink you can handle on here x"

You too

Sarah x

over a year ago

"I'm always pleasantly surprised at how supportive and open everyone is on these forums. I guess the beauty of a site like this is people tend to be much less judgemental.

I wish you all happiness, stability and all the kink you can handle on here x"

Great thread

By *raham29Man
over a year ago

whitehaven

Im on Sertraline but it wasn't mixing with all my other meds so I've stopped them all till I can see my doctor which will be at least another 2 weeks and I'm unable to function or leave the house that often now

over a year ago

"Im on Sertraline but it wasn't mixing with all my other meds so I've stopped them all till I can see my doctor which will be at least another 2 weeks and I'm unable to function or leave the house that often now "
]

this isnt good you need your other medication - have a telephone cht with your doc if you cant see him - not sure what your other meds are but there are plenty other anti depressants to try that im sure will work with them - sertraline wasnt the first med we tried -

over a year ago

I must say I am humbled by the experiences and views people are relaying in this thread. It seems that these issue are often not spoken about and stigmatised. I have done some reading on the condition name bi polar and it seems whilst it can be debilitating help through counselling and drug therapy does help.

over a year ago

Thank you do very much to all those who has shown myself and hubby do much concern.

Hes got up this morning and watched some tv with me he has then gone back to bed. He is still refusing to talk to me or his manager or the drs. He has taken our youngest son up to his parents.

I am trying my hardest to support him.

over a year ago

"Just be giving medication for it. Sertraline anyone been on this medication Many respects to you for being so open about your condition

Sarah x"

Post new Message to Thread