Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Sainsburys christmas ad

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Just watched it and it's amazing!!! It's so beautiful! There's no food or drink product placements or pushy sales tactics it's just a beautiful christmas story!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Just watched it and it's amazing!!! It's so beautiful! There's no food or drink product placements or pushy sales tactics it's just a beautiful christmas story!"

I just YouTube'd it. Brilliant and very clever marketing.

over a year ago

Its Amazing

over a year ago

"Its Amazing"

It still wont make me shop at Sainsburys though! lol

over a year ago

Is it the war themed one?

over a year ago

"Its Amazing

It still wont make me shop at Sainsburys though! lol"

same here

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Wont play on my pc until December 10th or so, I'll have to watch it then, when its almost Christmas time

over a year ago

"Is it the war themed one? "

Yes it's the war themed one Hun x

Since I posted it to my Facebook I've had a 50/50 reaction to it. Some love it like me and think it's showing the essence of christmas! But the other half are going crazy saying it's awful! It's glorifying the war and sainsburys are disgraceful for using the war to promote their store! Any opinions on here? X

over a year ago

They are selling the chocolate bar in the ad too!!

over a year ago

Loved it. Brought a tear to my eye. Xx

By *parkybunnyCouple
over a year ago

Zurich. NOT London.

the ad was done in partnership with the Royal British Legion and the chocolate bar in the ad with the old style packaging is for sale in Sainsburys with all profits going to the Legion.

Its worth watching the ad all the way through and then watching the film of the story behind it etc. From my perspective anything that brings funds into RBL is a very good thing.

over a year ago

Brilliant ad xx

over a year ago

It's a brilliant advert, and it's true. At Christmas the two sides did come together to wish each other Merry Christmas. Sainsbury's teamed up with historians to try and make it as real as possible. Great advert. In my opinion, it beats the John Lewis advert.

I don't know why people say that it's wrong.

over a year ago

I don't think its glorifying war at all. It's showing that even in the most desperate of times the human kindness shone through.

over a year ago

"the ad was done in partnership with the Royal British Legion and the chocolate bar in the ad with the old style packaging is for sale in Sainsburys with all profits going to the Legion.

Its worth watching the ad all the way through and then watching the film of the story behind it etc. From my perspective anything that brings funds into RBL is a very good thing."

Sainsbury also had an RBL range of products on sale.

over a year ago

Reminded me or mccartneys pipes of peace music video, did like it.

over a year ago

A very long story short one person I know said it's disgusting because they are using the deaths of young men to make money and that they only did it to sell product not because they care about what happened. I think this is a ridiculous statement as so much work was put into making it historically correct and with profits from the chic bar features going to the RBL there is obviously a caring factor aswell as money making involved. Yes they are still advertising themselves but I still think it's one of the most touching Xmas ads done in years and for once it's not focased on consumerism! X

over a year ago

I liked it as well, was very good.

By *not69Man
over a year ago

Burnley

"the ad was done in partnership with the Royal British Legion and the chocolate bar in the ad with the old style packaging is for sale in Sainsburys with all profits going to the Legion.

Its worth watching the ad all the way through and then watching the film of the story behind it etc. From my perspective anything that brings funds into RBL is a very good thing."

As a member of the RBL Riders branch, I wholeheartedly agree with this

over a year ago

"Reminded me or mccartneys pipes of peace music video, "

Wow....that bad

over a year ago

"A very long story short one person I know said it's disgusting because they are using the deaths of young men to make money and that they only did it to sell product not because they care about what happened. I think this is a ridiculous statement as so much work was put into making it historically correct and with profits from the chic bar features going to the RBL there is obviously a caring factor aswell as money making involved. Yes they are still advertising themselves but I still think it's one of the most touching Xmas ads done in years and for once it's not focased on consumerism! X"

How exactly is a multi billion pound conglomerate spending many millions of pounds promoting THEIR supermarket over the busiest time of year for conspicuous consumption construed as not focused on consumerism. They could have just donated the research costs, production costs and advertising costs to the RBL.....but that wouldnt be as effective an advert.

over a year ago

Liked it.. and will still do my weekly shop there

over a year ago

"A very long story short one person I know said it's disgusting because they are using the deaths of young men to make money and that they only did it to sell product not because they care about what happened. I think this is a ridiculous statement as so much work was put into making it historically correct and with profits from the chic bar features going to the RBL there is obviously a caring factor aswell as money making involved. Yes they are still advertising themselves but I still think it's one of the most touching Xmas ads done in years and for once it's not focased on consumerism! X

How exactly is a multi billion pound conglomerate spending many millions of pounds promoting THEIR supermarket over the busiest time of year for conspicuous consumption construed as not focused on consumerism. They could have just donated the research costs, production costs and advertising costs to the RBL.....but that wouldnt be as effective an advert."

Ok maybe a poor choice of words but what I'm trying to say is at least they have made a tasteful christmas advert that isn't plugged with all sorts of food drink and nonsense that we don't need, they're not pressure selling anything. The only food advertisement is the chocolate bar which as I said has all profits going to RBL. Of course it would have been awesome if they had donated the money from the ad to the RBL but like you said that's never going to happen, but it's still got thought and charity behind it x

over a year ago

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

It's a beautiful ad.

Which is my problem with it. The image it paints is of shiny faced, well fed, clean and laundered soldiers who don't seem to feel the cold for all that it's snowing.

Yes there were outbreaks of peace and games of football all along the front lines during the first Christmas of the war. But the trenches were not the clean orderly ones shown here and neither were the soldiers.

I'm all for raising funds for the British Legion, and i don't even mind the partnership with sainsburys but I do find this advert to be a distasteful sanitisation of bloody, muddy, miserable, soul destroying trench warfare.

over a year ago

"It's a beautiful ad.

Which is my problem with it. The image it paints is of shiny faced, well fed, clean and laundered soldiers who don't seem to feel the cold for all that it's snowing.

Yes there were outbreaks of peace and games of football all along the front lines during the first Christmas of the war. But the trenches were not the clean orderly ones shown here and neither were the soldiers.

I'm all for raising funds for the British Legion, and i don't even mind the partnership with sainsburys but I do find this advert to be a distasteful sanitisation of bloody, muddy, miserable, soul destroying trench warfare. "

I asked my nan why my grandad joined the navy in WWII, she reckons its because he always had a clean shirt!

By *andWCouple
over a year ago

Pontypridd

"I don't think its glorifying war at all. It's showing that even in the most desperate of times the human kindness shone through. "

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"Is it the war themed one?

Yes it's the war themed one Hun x

Since I posted it to my Facebook I've had a 50/50 reaction to it. Some love it like me and think it's showing the essence of christmas! But the other half are going crazy saying it's awful! It's glorifying the war and sainsburys are disgraceful for using the war to promote their store! Any opinions on here? X"

It was made in connection with the British Legion, it commemorates the famous Christmas truce of the first world war.

over a year ago

"Reminded me or mccartneys pipes of peace music video,

Wow....that bad "

Got to love the sarcasm and wit in the forum lately

By *ndym12Man
over a year ago

Ivybridge

With Sainsburys 20 year affiliation with the RBL and the fact that it's 100 years since the outbreak of WW1 I think it's very apt. I saw the rough copy at a Sainsburys conference and was moved then and still am. As it says at the end, 'Christmas is for sharing'.

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman
over a year ago

Deviant City

gave me goosebumps, I like it

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Personally although I enjoy all the Christmas ads produced by retailers I think every single one of them is a cynical attempt to manipulate our opinion in their favour by implying that these huge corporations have finer feelings.

There! I said it.

By *o30Woman
over a year ago

Lincoln

"gave me goosebumps, I like it "

Post new Message to Thread