Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Smart gas and electric meters

Jump to newest

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Has anyone saved money since having one installed?

Got a bloke coming around this at to put mine in.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icefellatwoMan
over a year ago

hastings

"Has anyone saved money since having one installed?

Got a bloke coming around this at to put mine in."

If its like the water meter they put in for us I was paying £60 per month and now I am paying £50 per month you think there

is a saving but no the £60 a month was over 10 months and the £50 is over 12 months !

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I saved when I had a water meter fitted and got the enjoyment of winding the old man up by threatening to go round with jerricans and abusing his outdoor tap when him and my mum went on their holidays.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I don't think the meter perse saves you money, it's more designed to see where you use most and save by not using.

Which really is common sense and the meter is the waste.

By *anatee175Couple
over a year ago

Sunderland

We have a water meter since its been installed we've had massive savings.

Claire

over a year ago

"We have a water meter since its been installed we've had massive savings.

Claire "

That's because water was never meterd but billed on average use.

A couple and two small children living in 3 bedroom semi was used to calculate average.

By *anatee175Couple
over a year ago

Sunderland

We live in a 3 bedroom house and had a meter in for 4 years.

We have saved loads.

Claire

over a year ago

Its a long term tool to extract as much money out of you as possible. Wait till your terms and conditions change. Because they will, they always do.

over a year ago

If its like the water meter they put in for us I was paying £60 per month and now I am paying £50 per month you think there

is a saving but no the £60 a month was over 10 months and the £50 is over 12 months !"

You only save if you use less fuel the meter itself saves you nothing.

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

is a saving but no the £60 a month was over 10 months and the £50 is over 12 months !

You only save if you use less fuel the meter itself saves you nothing. "

The meter itself is not that smart, it is installed hoping to make the consumer energy smart when they see how much they are using. As a side issue it is great fun asking energy companies how I am able to read it as I am blind, the errrr I am not sure usually happens followed by quick exit

over a year ago

Smart gas and electric meters will not save you money, they highlight what you are using and you should use that info to reduce you consumption and therefore your bills. The electric providers will save money as they will not need to read the meter as the info will be sent to their billing systems directly from your meter, so no more estimated bills. The meters themselves cost several hundred pounds and the cost of the rollout is built in to your standing charges... Gawd bless Ed Miliband for his green taxations eh, he was the Energy Minister who put this forward for every house and business in the country.

Water meters on the other hand could offer a saving over what you are paying on water rates, depending on consumption. When I moved in to my current home, it did not have a meter and the rateable value was £1400 per year. I had a meter installed and as there are only 2 of us, the monthly bill is around £15.

If you are not on meter and pay rates, it is worth seeing if they can fit a meter. If they cannot, but you insist you want one, you can negotiate a discount of 40-50% on your rates. If you do have a meter fitted, you have 12 months to change your mind.

Post new Message to Thread