Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Nightshifts

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Well, I start my first 12 hour night shifts this week. All these days i thought the early mornings were bad. I'd be shattered with this one i think.

Anybody else here working nights? Maybe a few days in a row? What's your routine like?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

Years ago I did 12 hour night shifts mon-thurs. I could never get up on a Friday and it fucked my weekends up.

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

I currently work 5 days of 8.5 hour nights. I totally turn my body around. Eat breakfast when I get up at 6pm, lunch at around 3am, dinner when I get home around 8am, chill for a while, then go to bed. I tend to switch my meals around, so I'm having a bigger lunch then dinner, that way I'm not going to sleep on a huge stomach. But I guess that depends on your cooking facilities at work.

Be prepared to have to work harder at the gym. The human body isn't adapted for night work, so your metabolism slows down making you put on weight easier and your exercise less effective.

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I used to do permanent nights. We arranged things so that no one called us between 2AM and 7 and we'd then all do our own thing, office darts or golf, gaming forums, chat sites, or in my case, asleep on 4 chairs pushed together.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

5 nights a week here. Just getting out of bed now

By *nJ_NW_cplCouple
over a year ago

wirral

Been doing them for years now. Get your sleep, close down your bedroom, turn phones off keep it as dark as you can and try and get your normal amount of sleep. I (Mr) do Mon-Thur so get up at lunch time on Friday very tired, but then can sleep Friday night and have a normal weekend.

over a year ago

Oh gawwd!

Well, my shifts are 12 hours. Some weeks i'm doing earlies and others nights.

Just hope i survive tonight.

over a year ago

I do 12 and a half hour night shifts,I'm doing one of 2 tonight,my last ones a couple of weeks ago were hell on earth and I handed my notice in

Really looking forward to tonight

over a year ago

Mornings or nights, it makes no difference to me. Only shift I mind is the afternoon otherwise known as the dead mans shift.

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Good luck pops you'll get there mate. Iv been doing 12 hour days and nights for about 12 yrs now its easy..........not

over a year ago

Your Dooooomed

Gimp

over a year ago

I work every Wednesday, through til Saturday night.

Once you get a few under your belt it becomes easier but your sleep pattern goes to shit!!

over a year ago

Been doing nights for the past 3 weeks... ends Thursday thankfully!

My routines a bit like this: I'm awake when everybody else I know is asleep and I'm asleep when everybody else I know is awake

Good luck first ones the hard one!!

By *ngel n tedCouple
over a year ago

maidstone

"I work every Wednesday, through til Saturday night.

Once you get a few under your belt it becomes easier but your sleep pattern goes to shit!! "

Same as that, with the odd tuesday nite thrown in if needed. Don't have any sleep problems, i've always been a nite owl, social life goes down the chodbin though.....and it don't help when trying to get meets on here

Taxi driver by any chance rusty

over a year ago

Once you get a few under your belt it becomes easier but your sleep pattern goes to shit!!

Same as that, with the odd tuesday nite thrown in if needed. Don't have any sleep problems, i've always been a nite owl, social life goes down the chodbin though.....and it don't help when trying to get meets on here

Taxi driver by any chance rusty "

Lol nope!! Security supervisor.

over a year ago

Lol nope!! Security supervisor. "

he can't effin drive

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

I used to love doing nights - 8 on just accepting that there was no social life for those, but then 4 off which was great.

Used to wake up about 4pm after the first night but then Id have to put my alarm on to get up at 7pm every day after that.

Was hell for those that couldnt sleep during the day though.

over a year ago

Lol nope!! Security supervisor.

he can't effin drive "

Oh I can!! Just not legally

over a year ago

Hate nights but needs must.

over a year ago

Forgot to say you get really knackered working nights.

When setting off to work tonight I went to get in my car and drive to work... walked straight past the drivers side around the bonnet and climbed into the passenger seat

over a year ago

I'm only two hours in!!

Oh bloody hell.

over a year ago

I worked night for 8 years when I was married, you get used to it, people would think I was odd having a cooked dinner at 7 am but when you have been at work for 12 hours you don't really want a bowl of cerial

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

"Forgot to say you get really knackered working nights.

When setting off to work tonight I went to get in my car and drive to work... walked straight past the drivers side around the bonnet and climbed into the passenger seat "

I get ridiculously tired. And it's not like I actually work. I sit and watch DVD's all night. But I'm shattered come the end of a run of nights.

over a year ago

i always have a few hours in bed before the 1st one then sleep 9 til about 3 between the shifts like others have said dark room no phone no computers then after the last one straight bed and then up around 11 unless you can try to go straight through ok if you keep busy

just got to get in a routine and your be fine but you do need to write off them days and not try to use them as days off

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Permanent Nightshifts are not too bad, the killers are rotational nights.

over a year ago

Another 8 hours to go.

..why do i do this to myself. Considering i don't sleep much anyway.

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Another 8 hours to go.

"

You will make it seem longer if you keep moaning about it...its really not that bad.

over a year ago

I used to love working nights

That's when the freaks come out

over a year ago

"Another 8 hours to go.

You will make it seem longer if you keep moaning about it...its really not that bad. "

Yeah, it's like i'm counting down. Have a week off after Thursday though. So, need to get this week over with.

over a year ago

how you cope has as much to do with what you are doing as it does with you as a person coping with nights. The more physically active you are and the more your solving skills are challenged the easier it should be. 12hr nights are better if its 4 on 4 off but the reality is you won't have a clue till you have done 2-3 rotations. The guys in the forces cope though some doing 3,4,5, and more days and nights with no rest the body does adapt.

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Yo pops hows that night shift going.

over a year ago

I do 3 days 3 nights and 3 off so sleep pattern is all over place

over a year ago

It's alright actually. Not too bad. I'm getting a bit hot and bothered now though.

over a year ago

I do 13hour shift 7pm to 8.30am 4nights Nakered by morning

By *he Master JMan
over a year ago

Southall

I work on the railway and switch between days and nights constantly last week Mon to Fri days then Saturday night back on days mon

Sometimes go home at lunchtime to come back that night

over a year ago

Hubby started the night shifts beginning of the month. He sleeps during the day and I keep getting woken up in the middle of the night wakey hours with his texts. Sweet tho. One good thing I go worn on time now. Off I go

By *lactontogMan
over a year ago

Clacton on Sea

I done shift work at Fords in Dagenham for 4 years, at first your worlds upside down but you do get used to it.

Also done long weird hours at the House of Commons, i started at 8am and done a 12 hour shift but most of the time it went into 18 hour shifts as i had to wait for rise of house (MP's in debate).

over a year ago

I feel sorry for you mate, I hate night shifts.

I used to work as a security officer for a few years, I had to work permanent nights. I hated it so much.

Post new Message to Thread