Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Jury Service

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

A friend of ours has to attend Jury service soon and knowing what she is like im sure there will be times she is late Has anyone ever arrived late mid case and what action did the judge take.

Also any interesting cases which people were involved with?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *xpresMan
over a year ago

Elland

[Removed by poster at 09/11/14 06:41:49]

By *xpresMan
over a year ago

Elland

I was on jury service few year back was on a very complex long case I will not because I'm not allowed as there are still parts of the case unresolved and still parts of the case that will be going to court..

When we got sworn in the authorities made it very clear about being late non showered etc I'm sure you friend will have been read the same riot act

By *hortieWoman
over a year ago

Northampton

not allowed to talk about cases.

and late attendees get taken round to the back room, tied down and royally rodgered by skippy.

over a year ago

LOL she will enjoy that.

I don't think there is any problem discussing cases once the verdict has been delivered and appeals over otherwise papers could not report them could they. we get chapter and verse from the press.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"LOL she will enjoy that.

I don't think there is any problem discussing cases once the verdict has been delivered and appeals over otherwise papers could not report them could they. we get chapter and verse from the press."

From the government website re jury service.

"4. Discussing the trial

Don’t discuss the case with anyone, except other jury members in the jury deliberation room.

Even when the trial’s over you mustn’t discuss the case, even with family members."

Put it this way.

You're on the jury for a case. Defendant found guilty. You shout your mouth off that you were one of the 12. Defendant has some nasty friends who come round and torch your house/attack your family/assault you.

Now do you see why talking about a case even after it's conclusion isn't wise?

A

over a year ago

I don't think there is any problem discussing cases once the verdict has been delivered and appeals over otherwise papers could not report them could they. we get chapter and verse from the press.

"4. Discussing the trial

Don’t discuss the case with anyone, except other jury members in the jury deliberation room.

Even when the trial’s over you mustn’t discuss the case, even with family members."

Put it this way.

You're on the jury for a case. Defendant found guilty. You shout your mouth off that you were one of the 12. Defendant has some nasty friends who come round and torch your house/attack your family/assault you.

A"

That could happen anyway, when I was on jury service and we used to break for lunch I regularly walked past the defendants friends and family on way to café, so they had an opportunity to confront me then or follow anyone of us to our homes so its irrelevant if we discussed after as it could happen during

By *elma and ShaggyCouple
over a year ago

Bedworth

When I was on jury service one of the defendants lived in the same town as my boyfriend. We had a long distance relationship and spent alternate weekends there and here. The judge told me which trains I was permitted to take to go see my boyfriend and also ordered that I was not to go out to and pubs in the town for my own safety.

over a year ago

"When I was on jury service one of the defendants lived in the same town as my boyfriend. We had a long distance relationship and spent alternate weekends there and here. The judge told me which trains I was permitted to take to go see my boyfriend and also ordered that I was not to go out to and pubs in the town for my own safety."

Can be quite intimidating for violent cases I assume luckily mine wasn't

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"4. Discussing the trial

Put it this way.

A

That could happen anyway, when I was on jury service and we used to break for lunch I regularly walked past the defendants friends and family on way to café, so they had an opportunity to confront me then or follow anyone of us to our homes so its irrelevant if we discussed after as it could happen during"

Jurors are employed to make a decision based on the case and evidence at the time.

The media reports on the outcomes and trial - they don't have input into the decision to find guilty/not guilty.

The rules are the rules. What would discussing a case after a decision is made achieve? Do you not think that apart from the points already mentioned it shows a lack of respect for fellow jurors and a complete lack of discretion?

A

over a year ago

"4. Discussing the trial

Put it this way.

A

That could happen anyway, when I was on jury service and we used to break for lunch I regularly walked past the defendants friends and family on way to café, so they had an opportunity to confront me then or follow anyone of us to our homes so its irrelevant if we discussed after as it could happen during

Jurors are employed to make a decision based on the case and evidence at the time.

The media reports on the outcomes and trial - they don't have input into the decision to find guilty/not guilty.

The rules are the rules. What would discussing a case after a decision is made achieve? Do you not think that apart from the points already mentioned it shows a lack of respect for fellow jurors and a complete lack of discretion?

A"

My god calm down have you eaten a serious confrontation stick this morning?

Chill out its a discussion on a forum not changing the constitution of the country .

Read the first post I asked about lateness and stories in General not the transcript from actual cases, was more keen on funny things.

Are you always this frumpy on a Sunday lol

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"4. Discussing the trial

Put it this way.

A

A

Chill out its a discussion on a forum not changing the constitution of the country .

Read the first post I asked about lateness and stories in General not the transcript from actual cases, was more keen on funny things.

Are you always this frumpy on a Sunday lol "

Calm as can be thanks!

A

over a year ago

"4. Discussing the trial

Put it this way.

A

A

Are you always this frumpy on a Sunday lol

Calm as can be thanks!

A"

Pleased to hear it thought you were en route to a coronary lol

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Maybe contempt of court.

over a year ago

"Maybe contempt of court. "

Im giving up now as people are taking this far to serious it was meant as a discussion about funny happenings not case specifics, contempt of court?

Unless advised by the judge how is this the case, newspapers print most things which happen are they in contempt, no.

Members of the public can sit in court and listen to the whole case if it wasn't allowed couts would be held behind closed doors, some are but that is to protect witnesess and jurors but only in a few cases.

for every day run of the mill cases it get discussed and reported on freely.

you only have to listen to the daily news on TV reporters inform us of what has been said and by whom and this is when the case is in progress.

Any way enough now bacon sarnie time

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"4. Discussing the trial

Put it this way.

A

That could happen anyway, when I was on jury service and we used to break for lunch I regularly walked past the defendants friends and family on way to café, so they had an opportunity to confront me then or follow anyone of us to our homes so its irrelevant if we discussed after as it could happen during"

We had a separate café for when I was on Jury duty BUT we all had to use the same entrance to the courts and passed the families of the people up in court so it seemed pointless having separate cafes.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

PS if she is late, she will get in shit

By *r Hung4funMan
over a year ago

craigavon

Just state that you d reccomend hanging - no more jury service

over a year ago

I got called up for Jury service really Young..I was like 18 or something.

Some people NEVER get called up in their lives, for me it happened really fast.

Everyone around me pissed themselves "Ben's doing Jury Service"...

over a year ago

The last time I did jury service we had a lady who was late 3 times and one day just didnt turn up. The judge was really pissed off and sent the police to get her ,she got arrested and hauled to court, we never saw her again but all involved agreed to carry on with just 11 of us rather than a costly re trial. Tell your friend dont be late, they dont take too kindly to it

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"PS if she is late, she will get in shit "

Up here its Contempt of Court and the Judge or Sheriff will usually issue a warrant for the arrest of whoever has gone AWOL.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"PS if she is late, she will get in shit

Up here its Contempt of Court and the Judge or Sheriff will usually issue a warrant for the arrest of whoever has gone AWOL."

By the sounds of the post above you it is the same here... I just know someone got a bollocking when they were late on the one I was on...they were not late again that's for sure

By *JB1954Man
over a year ago

Reading

I was on jury service a few weeks back. One lady was late first morning. Heard her say, she was called into judges chambers. Did not say what was said to her but she looked very shocked and was not late again.

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

I did jury service a couple of years ago but never got a case. It was just a boring week of drinking tea and reading magazines, until they decided to send you home. Got to have a week off work though and was sent home early some days so i enjoyed it, lol.

over a year ago

Write back and tell them your an abattoir worker!.

It's not guaranteed but it's your best chance of getting out of it.

Post new Message to Thread