Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Radiators question

Jump to newest

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

I've been told that having the radiators on 24/7 on the lowest setting on the boiler, is cheaper than putting them on at normal setting as and when you need to.

Anyone verify this? Or is it a myth

At mo, all my radiators are luke warm on the lowest

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I'd heard that too but not a clue how true it is xx

By *jandjbCouple
over a year ago

Nr Manchester

It's a moot point depending on the fabric of the house. Ours is fairly large and then old. It was December when we moved in and it took 3 days for the house to warm up.

The analogy is driving a car at low speed very carefully or driving it by accelerating to great speed then slowing down, speeding up again etc. Every time you accelerate you burn lots of fuel.

I would suggest that even running the heating at low temperatures you could probably manage to set the timing for it to go off for a few hours at night.

Him

over a year ago

Not sure on this chilly, always hapoy to make you a blankie to keep you warm. Ask pp xx

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

It is true but you do need a reasonable well insulated house with full drafts.

The idea is it is easier and quickier to raise temp a few degrees rather than from cold

over a year ago

Boiler runs most effeciently on high and use other controls to regulate room temp.

Either wall stat, or adjust the radiator valves.

By *exyfuncouple-40Couple
over a year ago

Bloxham

Heating engineer here invest in digital thermostat something like honeywell or drayton to monitor air temp most condensing boilers modulate so depends on depends on demand as opposed to older type fixed rate burners , heat house during day at 15 then raise when in to 19-20 . Sorry to get techy

By *uttyjonnMan
over a year ago

cheshire

"It's a moot point depending on the fabric of the house. Ours is fairly large and then old. It was December when we moved in and it took 3 days for the house to warm up.

The analogy is driving a car at low speed very carefully or driving it by accelerating to great speed then slowing down, speeding up again etc. Every time you accelerate you burn lots of fuel.

I would suggest that even running the heating at low temperatures you could probably manage to set the timing for it to go off for a few hours at night.

Him"

You really didn't need to add the 'him'

By *odareyouMan
over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

Turn the heating off and wear a jumper,,, saves fortunes in utility bills,

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

ok, thanks all.

It's a ground floor, housing assoc flat, with no insulation and an old fashioned boiler, so don't think it'll be cheaper

Post new Message to Thread