By *ensualtouch15 OP   Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

Looking forward to seeing the film x

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *eMontresMan
over a year ago

Halesowen

I'm not a big fan of biopoics generally, but will watch a bit of it and see how I get on.

We owe him and the others at Bletchley a huge debt of gratitude for their work, without them we would most likely have lost the war.

Turing himself was a genius and the grandfather of modern computing. Incredibly shabbily treated by the establishment of the day.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Saw a trailer for this last time I was in the cinema...looks really good

over a year ago

Me too x

By *andACouple
over a year ago

glasgow

Should be good.

over a year ago

Trailer was good enough that I want to see it and it's normally the type I would wait until available to rent.

over a year ago

Been to bletchley, is a fantastic day out if your ever in the area.

And if I remember correctly the polish had deciphered and built the bombe before the was started, which Turing later refined for the enigma decoding.

Although while there I never saw anything of Jon bonjovi capturing the original machine from the jerrys in that submarine battle, so I'm not sure the museum is that accurate

over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

[Removed by poster at 16/11/14 20:28:39]

over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

Well ,brought tears to my eyes x

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

Im planning on going tomorrow. Looking forward to it

over a year ago

We owe the man a great deal

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"We owe the man a great deal "
Agreed

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

lets hope we never see the day again that a genius's endeavours are lost because of sexuality....

but sadly...

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

"lets hope we never see the day again that a genius's endeavours are lost because of sexuality....

but sadly..."

jay and I have been talking about this, he went to blechley park last week its all so sad

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

"Looking forward to seeing the film x"

I wonder if Bill Tutte gets a mention

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"lets hope we never see the day again that a genius's endeavours are lost because of sexuality....

but sadly..."

Or how many have not been allowed to shine because of their sexuality or gender.

over a year ago

Don't forget Tommy Flowers the chap who designed and built Colossus that made Turings theories work.

Also sadly unrecognised by our own government in his lifetime, his reward for helping to shorten the war by at least two years was to enough money to barely cover his costs, a sledgehammer taken to his machines and his old job back at the GPO. Wonder he didn't defect to the Soviets.

over a year ago

Watched the film great film. You think circumstances would be made for a person who helped you win the war. Great mind up there with Newton

By *ldestswingerintownMan
over a year ago

Lancaster

I totally and absolutely agree with all the comments about Turing's genius and contribution (and by the way the Poles didn't build the "Bombe" but they did supply a couple of machines). My problem is with the apology and pardon - Turing's been singled out for this because of his contribution to the war effort. But does that mean all the other poor sods who were persecuted and prosecuted, etc, in those times don't deserve one because they didn't do enough? - or should everybody who was persecuted in those times for their sexuality get an apology and a pardon?

over a year ago

Very good point made

over a year ago

"I totally and absolutely agree with all the comments about Turing's genius and contribution (and by the way the Poles didn't build the "Bombe" but they did supply a couple of machines). My problem is with the apology and pardon - Turing's been singled out for this because of his contribution to the war effort. But does that mean all the other poor sods who were persecuted and prosecuted, etc, in those times don't deserve one because they didn't do enough? - or should everybody who was persecuted in those times for their sexuality get an apology and a pardon?"

No

We can't rewrite history nor should we try and right a wrong that was of its time.

Let their story be a warning to us all that we cannot turn the clocks back to appease our modern day sensitivities.

What we do today will be remembered tomorrow.

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

Went to see it this afternoon. Good film

Post new Message to Thread