Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

pat test info

Jump to newest

By *riskygaz OP   Man
over a year ago

birmingham

Am I right in thinking you cannot do a pat test on a pc or the monitor with a standard tester as they put 500v threw it, I am guessing the more expensive tester have the function to be able to set them to a much lower current ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Depends on the Amps.

over a year ago

"Am I right in thinking you cannot do a pat test on a pc or the monitor with a standard tester as they put 500v threw it, I am guessing the more expensive tester have the function to be able to set them to a much lower current ?"

site tools are mainly 110v and are tested? the labels are easily available on lots of sites, but im not advising you to stick your own on untested appliances and that doesn't happen on building sites across the country either

By *riskygaz OP   Man
over a year ago

birmingham

"Am I right in thinking you cannot do a pat test on a pc or the monitor with a standard tester as they put 500v threw it, I am guessing the more expensive tester have the function to be able to set them to a much lower current ?

site tools are mainly 110v and are tested? the labels are easily available on lots of sites, but im not advising you to stick your own on untested appliances and that doesn't happen on building sites across the country either"

going to be school equipment I will be testing, once training is done,

By *atasha_DavidCouple
over a year ago

Slough

My understanding is that for items such as PC's that are considered portable, require an earth connection and are for use in low risk environments it is adequate to test the earthing of all exposed metal parts with an ohmmeter.

This can be at sensible voltages and currents. All mains leads and extension cords can then be PAT tested in the standard way.

over a year ago

You should be able to set up the parameters for your equipment on test including class, test duration, tolerances for cable length etc. it will depend on the PAT tester, I use a fairly high end one that can test 3-phase cable at high current over almost any length, we just enter the length, core size and cable resistance and it auto calcs for us. The best thing is to check the model of you tester and get on YouTube as it's full of really good how to guides for most if the main testers

By *riskygaz OP   Man
over a year ago

birmingham

"You should be able to set up the parameters for your equipment on test including class, test duration, tolerances for cable length etc. it will depend on the PAT tester, I use a fairly high end one that can test 3-phase cable at high current over almost any length, we just enter the length, core size and cable resistance and it auto calcs for us. The best thing is to check the model of you tester and get on YouTube as it's full of really good how to guides for most if the main testers"
just a low end tester it is a parker bell PB500

over a year ago

I used to do PAT testing and was qualified to give out certificates. (Now lapsed recently). The only thing that needs to be tested is the adapter (transformer).

The actual laptop is a low voltage/double insulated device and does not require a PAT test.

Glad to be of assistance!

over a year ago

"My understanding is that for items such as PC's that are considered portable, require an earth connection and are for use in low risk environments it is adequate to test the earthing of all exposed metal parts with an ohmmeter.

This can be at sensible voltages and currents. All mains leads and extension cords can then be PAT tested in the standard way. "

I concur

over a year ago

Personally I'd have glued it to the desk and declared it no longer portable

over a year ago

With computers you test the power cord fist with a standard lead test comprising:

Visual.

Earth Continuity.

Insulation at 500 Volts DC.

Polarity.

You then test the computer with its own lead using the following tests:

Visual.

Earth Continuity at 100 or 200 mA (Depending upon the manufacturer). You must not test the computer with a test current higher than 200mA; you may well damage the motherboard. This means that testers which do not have a 100 or 200mA test current must NEVER be used on IT.

Insulation Test at 500 Volts DC (If the computer is old you may wish to use the leakage test in place of the standard insulation Test.

For the test you plug the computer into the 13A socket on the PAT tester using its own power cord and connect the earth bond lead to bare metal (usually at the back).

over a year ago

So, it's the earth continuity that's the one to be careful of.

By *arry247Couple
over a year ago

Wakefield

There is a lot of crap talked about PAT testing in most low risk environments a simple visual test is adequate see

http://www.hse.gov.uk/electricity/faq-portable-appliance-testing.htm

over a year ago

I (mr) got kicked off a keir site in hull a few years ago for not having a pat sticker on a site radio that was playing off a battery and only worked on 240v, there was no 240v on the site!

when I returned to the office to hand my keys in, the same hs guy that raised the complaint was boiling the canteen kettle and using the microwave, both of which were un tested, so I told him and got all the lads to come and see, quite funny really

By *riskygaz OP   Man
over a year ago

birmingham

"I (mr) got kicked off a keir site in hull a few years ago for not having a pat sticker on a site radio that was playing off a battery and only worked on 240v, there was no 240v on the site!

when I returned to the office to hand my keys in, the same hs guy that raised the complaint was boiling the canteen kettle and using the microwave, both of which were un tested, so I told him and got all the lads to come and see, quite funny really "

lol bet he felt a right plonker

over a year ago

Please don't forget that subjecting any items to a DC supply will only check the transformer as a DC voltage can't be 'transformed' to any other voltage, it's an open circuit so no voltage will get through (unless there's an earth fault with the transformer, but the conditions required for transmission of electrical power may be various from one transformers fault to another).

As computers run on a low voltage anyway (as do radios etc.), I wouldn't take the chance without disconnecting the transformers output.

Post new Message to Thread