Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Time machine

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

If you had a time machine and could go back and change something in history whether it be world history or your own. What would you do.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Can I be my father or is that just wrong?

over a year ago

I would invent the ipod and the mobile phone.

And prevent the xfactor, big brother etc ever being created.

over a year ago

Probably go back and beat the younger me into never having smoked, then compensate him with all my sex knowledge

over a year ago

Stop those planes taking off on 11th September 2001

over a year ago

Disclaimer - Please don't take my comments below as pissing on anyones bonfire or anything. I am not a killjoy

Paradoxically speaking, if it were possible to travel back in time and alter an event, whatever you changed will have already happened and the repercussions / consequences will have already played out.

For example - let's take a couple of events from the Back to the Future trilogy.

In BTTF II Old Biff steals the time machine to travel back to 1955 to give himself the Sports Almanac. The film shows what 1985 would be like in that event and in the alternate reality, Doc Brown has been committed - and thereby unable to create the time machine and thus preventing Old Biff from stealing it in the future.

In BTTF III - Marty decides to travel back to 1885 after seeing Doc's tombstone - however, by interfering in events and preventing Doc from being shot, the tombstone is broken and so in 1955, he will not have seen it and so would not have gone back to 1885.

With all this said, there are no events in mine or anyone else's history that I would wish to change - as those changes will have already taken place regardless of when I acquire the means to travel in time

over a year ago

I'd save Bonn Scott, Jimi Hendrix, Gary Moore and warn Rory Gallagher that the medication he was taking would eventually be the cause of his death.

over a year ago

"Can I be my father or is that just wrong? "

If you want to shag your Mum ...

over a year ago

"Disclaimer - Please don't take my comments below as pissing on anyones bonfire or anything. I am not a killjoy

Paradoxically speaking, if it were possible to travel back in time and alter an event, whatever you changed will have already happened and the repercussions / consequences will have already played out.

For example - let's take a couple of events from the Back to the Future trilogy.

In BTTF II Old Biff steals the time machine to travel back to 1955 to give himself the Sports Almanac. The film shows what 1985 would be like in that event and in the alternate reality, Doc Brown has been committed - and thereby unable to create the time machine and thus preventing Old Biff from stealing it in the future.

In BTTF III - Marty decides to travel back to 1885 after seeing Doc's tombstone - however, by interfering in events and preventing Doc from being shot, the tombstone is broken and so in 1955, he will not have seen it and so would not have gone back to 1885.

With all this said, there are no events in mine or anyone else's history that I would wish to change - as those changes will have already taken place regardless of when I acquire the means to travel in time "

Pretty much that.

I've often read people say things like 'would you use a time machine to go back and kill Hitler to stop WW2?' but they make no sense as really, if someone supposedly DID invent a time machine in the future and did just that, then they obviously failed because we're talking about Hitler now, and know that WW2 did happen.

over a year ago

"Disclaimer - Please don't take my comments below as pissing on anyones bonfire or anything. I am not a killjoy

With all this said, there are no events in mine or anyone else's history that I would wish to change - as those changes will have already taken place regardless of when I acquire the means to travel in time "

This is exactly why we will never achieve time travel. If we could at any point in the future, surely they'd come back to us now or at least certainly come back to witness key events like 9/11, WWII etc and our past could be constantly evolving with every trip back in back in time! Too deep to think about! Aargh!

Anyway, what was there before the Big Bang.. ? Over to you ...

over a year ago

"I'd save Bonn Scott, Jimi Hendrix, Gary Moore and warn Rory Gallagher that the medication he was taking would eventually be the cause of his death."

Loved Gary Moore..

Met him!

over a year ago

"Anyway, what was there before the Big Bang.. ? Over to you ..."

Big Bang is on E4 tomorrow evening at 8:30pm

over a year ago

With all this said, there are no events in mine or anyone else's history that I would wish to change - as those changes will have already taken place regardless of when I acquire the means to travel in time

This is exactly why we will never achieve time travel. If we could at any point in the future, surely they'd come back to us now or at least certainly come back to witness key events like 9/11, WWII etc and our past could be constantly evolving with every trip back in back in time! Too deep to think about! Aargh!

Anyway, what was there before the Big Bang.. ? Over to you ..."

Reminds me of something Terry Pratchett once said, I can't remember it word for word but it went something like:

Humans are such sensationalist creatures 'in the beginning, there was nothing - which then exploded'

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Bloody hell see we got the light hearted gang in tonight

over a year ago

"I'd save Bonn Scott, Jimi Hendrix, Gary Moore and warn Rory Gallagher that the medication he was taking would eventually be the cause of his death.

Loved Gary Moore..

Met him!"

I met him too, a few times. I wish he'd have let me play Greeny, my life would have been complete...

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

...... have you guys never heard of alternate time lines? Don't you remember your science fiction history.... did you not study tempera theory at the academy?

over a year ago

Anyway, what was there before the Big Bang.. ? Over to you ...

Reminds me of something Terry Pratchett once said, I can't remember it word for word but it went something like:

Humans are such sensationalist creatures 'in the beginning, there was nothing - which then exploded' "

If you did travel back in time, there is a theory that you could do anything you want because all you would do is create a new timeline/universe. The one you left would not be altered because events there already occurred and cannot be changed. However, the new one, of which you are now an integral part would continue alongside, but slightly behind, the old one.

Now my brain hurts!

By *odareyouMan
over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

I'd travel back to Christmas day morning 2007 to see the look of wonder on my girls faces after Santa has been

over a year ago

"If you did travel back in time, there is a theory that you could do anything you want because all you would do is create a new timeline/universe. The one you left would not be altered because events there already occurred and cannot be changed. However, the new one, of which you are now an integral part would continue alongside, but slightly behind, the old one.

Now my brain hurts!"

So if you traveled back in time to the time of your own conception and got your dad to wear a condom....

You would cease to exist and therefore would be unable to travel back in time to prevent your own birth.

It's called a Paraodox Loop.

Another example was explained by The Doctor at the beginning of Saturday's Dr Who episode.

By *igeiaWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

The very act of going back in time would change the timeline at a quantum level so you would automatically be in a parallel but alternate reality rather than your own and not affect your own 'real' timeline.

over a year ago

You would also change the present because you would be in your new timeline and missing from the current one

I think

over a year ago

If take back all the words that have hurt you, and you'd stay lol

over a year ago

I would stop christopher colombus

over a year ago

Quite happy with the way things are actually

By *xpresMan
over a year ago

Elland

I'd go back and get a sporting almanac like the back to the future n just win my ritches and bet on anything like dates names etc multi multi millionaire

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Would have been good to have kidnapped James Dean and Marilyn Monroe the night before they died.

Of course if we'd talked to others about what we know from today we'd have been thought as somehow mad.

over a year ago

"If take back all the words that have hurt you, and you'd stay lol "

good to see you can Cher your feelings

over a year ago

It would be good to save species that mankind has eaten to extinction such as the Dodo.

No saving people but it would be instructive to go back and video awful events in history just to shut up conspiracy theorists

over a year ago

I would obtain mega wealth and place it equally to save the most needy, somehow. Not very simple but hey, nobody liked a stickler for details on these kinda threads

Post new Message to Thread