Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Sex Education in schools

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

How do parents feel about the sex education their kids recieve in school?

When i was at school it was very poor.

involved 3 hour long lessons over three years.

one was about sti's and they had lots of gory slides to show us, which we just made jokes about mccains micro pizzas

one was about hiv and aids - we watched a 20 minute video tape or we were supposed to

one was putting a condom on a boiling tube

i was pregnant at 17 mostly due to a misundertanding with the mini pill and antibiotics. before i did i went to the clinic for advice and was trying to be sensible because of the cancer risks of the combined pill. and still got pregnant.

my mother was pretty open about sex and gave me good advice and i thought i knew enough

any thoughts

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

My daughters learned about condoms using carrots..... 've often wondered what their sex lives are like and if they get horny in the veg shop.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

My childrens were really good from primary up to secondary

I was working with my daughters school nurse the other day,did'nt realise she was until we got chatting and she has told me what yr 10s will get this year which will be my daughters year and its all really good and informative

Plus I think the sex eduaction programmes thay had on recently were fabulous we sat and watched some together and if there was anything she did'nt understand she asked about

When I was a teen I did'nt want to speak to my mum about sex so she bought me books and leaflets instead and when the time came for me to think well I could be having sex sometime soon I went to the family planning clinic on my own and got everything sorted that way

over a year ago

my mum got me a book from the library about puberty and sex. i hid it down the side of my bed between the wall and the radiator and read it at night.

i never took it back and when she asked if i had seen a book i said 'what book do u mean' she said 'never mind' and paid the lost book replacement fee. lol

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

When i was at school we had ONE lesson. The girls went in one room and the boys into another, the girls where told about periods. I was mortified as when they asked those that had started their periods to raise their hands i was the only one.

When my son was at school only a couple of years back, once a week they had a two hour lesson on all things to do with social aspects of life, it covered sex, drugs ect. He brought a quiz sheet home one night and it was an actual quiz on hiv/aids and he knew more than i did and also didnt regard it as a taboo subject.

Most importantly, i do not think we should rely on schools for our childrens sex education, the education they get should be there to enhance what the parents have taught them. There our children and on such an important subject it should be our responsibilty. When i was teaching my son, the main things i concentrated on was respect, relationships and feelings.

I tattooed it on his head about condoms and about respecting the person he sleeps with whether a one off or long term thing. Anyway hes now 19 started having sex at 18, is seeing a really nice girl who he really treats well, goes and gets his condoms from connextions, he talks to me openly and honestly about his relationship without talking about the intimate details.

Where of a complete different generation to our parents, sex was taboo and we didnt have programmes, magazines ect infact in fact the only way i found out about sex was trial and error. There is absolutly NO excuse whatsoever for youngsters these days as education is everywhere

over a year ago

We don't have kids, but I hope it's better now than it was. I went to school in the Midlands (was 15 in 85) and honestly I do not remember one single lesson ever being about sex. And it wasn't even a Church school, just a normal secondary.

over a year ago

I left school in 1981 and up until that point in Luton schools there nil sex education. I don't recall a teacher ever discussing sex, pregnancy, or STIs (Aids weren't around in those days - deep joy lol).

I started quite young just fumbling around in the dark basically, and went from there. Touch wood, never had an STI and the only kids I have are the two I planned for.

I have absolutely no idea what they teach them in schools these days but as my daughter is coming up for 13 I guess she must be about to learn all about it. I'll have to get clued up on what's taught and what isn't I guess.

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

I started my periods just before my 9th birthday. I was terrified thought I was bleeding to death. My mum took the day off work and gave me a family medical book that had always been hidden from me.

Sex education at the ,Girls Grammar school I went to was given in the 6th form. By then about 10 of them were already pregnant. Could it have been the fact that we were segregated and not even allowed to get on the boys bus.

over a year ago

nope was to do with shagging them

over a year ago

When I was at school (high school 1991-1995) we got hardly any sex ed or social education - until in fourth year (aged 15) we got an really old french teacher (he prob wasnt that old I just remember him being old) and he was brilliant.

Told us never to leave drinks sitting on the table while in the toilets, never leave drinks unattended, always use condoms (although no one ever told us how to use the things), in fact that teacher was great and really for many of us the only source of sex or social education.

My oldest is 12 and about to start high school and already knows much more than I did. Partly because of the school, and partly because I have always believed if your old enough to ask your old enough to be told, well what is age suitable.

When my daughter asks me something I will always tell her the truth and ask why she wants to know.

Cracker was when she was 4 and asked me how the baby got in my tummy!!

I told her daddy gives me his half and I grow the baby til the baby is ready to be born.

It wasnt lying, but I didnt see the point in over informing her either, I told her what I thought was best to tell her for her age.

Shona

x x x

By *ouple4funnewCouple
over a year ago

liverpool

have you ever read Brave New World

I can see this becoming reality in a generation or so

Bertrand Russel was a great beliver in promiscuity for teens - like all the FAbians (Aldous Huxley was a fabian). they want a generation that will be unable to form families

Post new Message to Thread