Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Parking fines

Jump to newest

By *plpxp2 OP   Couple
over a year ago

Middlesbrough

Just read about a £1.2 m Koenigsegg CCXR (1 of 6 made) and a £350,000 Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 SuperVeloce being clamped on the afternoon 22 July at Harrods. I presume if you can afford a 1.2m car a £70 clamping fee is the equivelent of paying £2 for parking.

Should fines be means tested to income to be a far deterrent?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Just read about a £1.2 m Koenigsegg CCXR (1 of 6 made) and a £350,000 Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 SuperVeloce being clamped on the afternoon 22 July at Harrods. I presume if you can afford a 1.2m car a £70 clamping fee is the equivelent of paying £2 for parking.

Should fines be means tested to income to be a far deterrent? "

Yet another jealous pop at the rich for simply being rich. So what that he parked his car outside Harrods and got clamped, it's not like it inconvenienced you is it, how often do you go to Harrods and get really annoyed because someone parked their Lambo outside?

In this country, there seems to be a culture of penalising the successful for being successful but giving the lazy and the inept a pat on the back and more money than they know what to do with. How screwed up is that.

By *plpxp2 OP   Couple
over a year ago

Middlesbrough

OOoh wrong side of the bed

Not knocking the rich at all, the question is, is it fair. If you earn the minimum wage £70 is a lot of dosh from your disposable income. If you earn several hundered thousand it isn't.

The largest speeding fine ever handed out was in a country that fines on the ability to pay. Is being fair to all "screwed up"?

over a year ago

There are ways around fines...if you see a road, where there are double yellows...but there is a "break" in the yellow lines..this then makes the no parking zone void...this is why..when you see in the papers now and again..cars parked, then the yellow liners put lines around the vehicle,its the only way to make the no parking system legal, also by law..when they have put the lines down..they have to finish off by putting another line across the end of the lines to join it.there are plenty of ways to get around certain things..eg..going the wrong way up a no entry even speeding cameras ! just thought id share this x lol

over a year ago

"OOoh wrong side of the bed

Not knocking the rich at all, the question is, is it fair. If you earn the minimum wage £70 is a lot of dosh from your disposable income. If you earn several hundered thousand it isn't.

The largest speeding fine ever handed out was in a country that fines on the ability to pay. Is being fair to all "screwed up"?"

No, I didn't wake up with a sore head lol, I just think that people sometimes forget that we live in an equal rights democracy and that the law should be applied liberally right across the board regardless of social standing.

To my mind those that are at the low end of the pay scale should be even more careful about where they park if money is so tight, which isn't an excuse for the rich to park wherever they want because they can afford the fines.

It's more to do with traffic easing and if someone parks a Lamborghini or a Skoda in an area that has a disastrous effect on the flow of traffic then that should be a separate offence and dealt with harshly. We've all been there, we've spent ages in traffic jams caused by an inconsiderate motorist who just 'popped' out to get some a few bits and peices from the shop, or drop off a package etc. THey know full well that on a main artery in a city like London, for example, the effect of pulling over even for a minute causes all kinds of problems.

Harrods sits on just such a main artery, and a busy junction too I might add, and as such the Lamborghini driver should have been fined for causing tailbacks, as well as parking illegally. Maybe then they'd realise that they aren't above the law, or rich enough to escape 3 points on their licence.

By *nothercoupleCouple
over a year ago

Exeter

They were the new owners of Harrods!

Didnt the then government try means testing for fines back in the last century?

over a year ago

"Just read about a £1.2 m Koenigsegg CCXR (1 of 6 made) and a £350,000 Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 SuperVeloce being clamped on the afternoon 22 July at Harrods. I presume if you can afford a 1.2m car a £70 clamping fee is the equivelent of paying £2 for parking.

If you do that there is an argument to say the rich should pay £5 a litre for fuel and £10 for a loaf of bread. The simple thing would be to have parking points for drivers then rich or poor everyone is the same.

over a year ago

Should fines be means tested to income to be a far deterrent?

Yet another jealous pop at the rich for simply being rich. So what that he parked his car outside Harrods and got clamped, it's not like it inconvenienced you is it, how often do you go to Harrods and get really annoyed because someone parked their Lambo outside?

In this country, there seems to be a culture of penalising the successful for being successful but giving the lazy and the inept a pat on the back and more money than they know what to do with. How screwed up is that."

Its not a pop at the rich but a valid point. To one £70 is a mountain and a deterrent. To the other its nothing. Do you think its a good way to encourage people to use the forums being so aggressive in your reply to them?

(That's not a pop at you that is a question!)

By *ick and tockCouple
over a year ago

wigan

y whould u got shopping in a Koenigsegg dont know what u was going to fit in it as its no boot to put anything in it u prob just beable to put a pack 3 condoms in pas side foot well lol

over a year ago

Bloody hell Wishy, are you a politician? sounding more like one every day.

Often putting a bad point across very well.

I don't see it as a pop at the rich, more a question of should we all have a similar vein of deterrent, as it's said here, it's more of a deterrent to those on minimum wage.

Think of it this way, is the way we have now a pop at the less than rich? only it affects them far more.

I know a couple of guys with more money than heart, and yes they do park where they want in their soft top bentley amongst other cars, simply pass the fine off as a minor discomfort. eventually paying off several parking/driving fines at one time.

over a year ago

Perhaps there should be a points penalty system for repeat offenders?

over a year ago

I don't suppose there's much point in having one of those cars unless you derive pleasure from watching people looking at you climbing in and out of it. You won't get that in a multi-storey carpark or in the backstreets of Knightsbridge.

Perhaps paying the fine for parking in such a public place is worth the price to ensure it doesn't get vandalised.

By *-and-KCouple
over a year ago

Back of Beyond

Once saw a program about the rich young bankers in the city. They were on a night out being followed by a documentary team. One of them had their car clamped and towed whilst in a bar.

His answer says it all about those with money. "They towed my car and they think I'm bothered by it? I'm spending £500 a bottle on champagne tonight and they think the £300 fine bothers me!"

over a year ago

Just read about a £1.2 m Koenigsegg CCXR (1 of 6 made) and a £350,000 Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 SuperVeloce being clamped on the afternoon 22 July at Harrods. I presume if you can afford a 1.2m car a £70 clamping fee is the equivelent of paying £2 for parking.

OOPs...and I only popped in for a case of champers....hehe xxx

Post new Message to Thread