FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

To Work or Not to Work? That is the ......

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

News today is that it could become illegal to force a person to retire at 65.

Good thing or bad thing ?????

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

Nope people should have a choice.

over a year ago

"Nope people should have a choice."

So what happens to the youngsters if jobs are not vacated for them ?

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

"Nope people should have a choice.

So what happens to the youngsters if jobs are not vacated for them ?"

Same as they did 100yrs ago?

Ok seriously they are raising the school leaving age to 18. not ideal for some who don't want to study but it does push the younger end to gain more academic skills.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

we are living longer so people who feel they are fit and able should be allowed to work on.

in regards to employment for younger people, i imagine in some trades with a lot of heavy manual work etc then there will be vacancies there for them or in other areas of employment.

me personaly as soon as i can retire i will be! xx

over a year ago

Ok seriously they are raising the school leaving age to 18. not ideal for some who don't want to study but it does push the younger end to gain more academic skills. "

Okay. What happens to the less academic ? What happens to my pension contributions?

Let say people stay in work. Olders may have tons of experience and skills but do they have the energy to contribute effectively?

What do the gvt do with my pension contributions and how long before pensions are scrapped as not needed cos people are working?

By *ixson-BallsMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

good...the choice should be yours...like some have said,we're living longer and being more healthier makes it possible to work later on in life...an intersting aside is....according to recent reports i'm sure i've read...it states that the new generation will be the first to die before there parents, so perhaps this is a long term insight???

By *ixson-BallsMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

Ok seriously they are raising the school leaving age to 18. not ideal for some who don't want to study but it does push the younger end to gain more academic skills.

Okay. What happens to the less academic ? What happens to my pension contributions?

Let say people stay in work. Olders may have tons of experience and skills but do they have the energy to contribute effectively?

What do the gvt do with my pension contributions and how long before pensions are scrapped as not needed cos people are working?"

well you only need 30 years worth of pension contribution to qualify for a full state pension...so i presume the other years pension/NI contributions are used in other ways

over a year ago

way things are goin granny we goin to be gettin our pensions one day and usin them to pay for our care the next! xx

over a year ago

"way things are goin granny we goin to be gettin our pensions one day and usin them to pay for our care the next! xx"

Im not going into care! Soon as im sittin in my own pee starin out the window im gonna do a Bonnie n Clyde n go out in a blaze of bullets....... if I can remember where i put me teeth ... Im gonna bite a policeman and shove his dogs head through the railings....

mind you .. i might be in work ....

I'll have to bite someone else .

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

What do the gvt do with my pension contributions and how long before pensions are scrapped as not needed cos people are working?"

In reality some people will stil retire mid sixty's. Pensions are geared up for it and so they will . Others who have poor pensions will keep working. The younger end, well the ones who want ot work will have to train in areas which require a degree of skill. Its not pleasant for some but its not a silver platter life for most. We could go back 200yrs and deport them to Australia but the Aussies wouldn't have them. In reality there is no easy answer and the apathetic or the youngsters not wanting to gain skills will not have an easy life.

By *orthernlad57Man
over a year ago

Bolton

Good thing

By *plpxp2Couple
over a year ago

Middlesbrough

Suppose the downside is you can be unemployed for far longer, otherwise a good move

over a year ago

Dont think its right that it should be illegal, i think everyone should have a choice on whether to or not

over a year ago

Its wrong to force somone to retire..some people love working as it gives them a sense of well being...

over a year ago

Personally as im in so much debt, i shall work for as long as i can and in really im so used to working, i dont want to retire but you are right, i have a full time job and work shifts in a pub and struggle at 49 yrs old to do both so dont know how i will manage at 69 yrs old to do both. Hopefully my finances will have improved so that i can give up the pub shifts but im still going to carry on with the day job for as long as i can.

Judging by the poor admin skills the youngsters at my place have, i shall need to stay. Id teach them with all the skills i have but i dont think that would help as their attitude to learning and improving themselves is non existent compared to my willingness to learn more. All they want is to the money

By *stwoCouple
over a year ago

anywhere

Some people have nothing in life but their work.If there health is fine and they are doing their job properly I see no reason why they should retire.If they force people to retire why dont they force the scroungers who are not retired work.

By *stwoCouple
over a year ago

anywhere

Raising the school leaving age will only cause problems in schools from the ones who dont want to be there.

over a year ago

"Some people have nothing in life but their work.If there health is fine and they are doing their job properly I see no reason why they should retire.If they force people to retire why dont they force the scroungers who are not retired work."

Thats where i am too, so used to working the idea of nothing to get up for scares the hell out of me, even having to take annual leave gives me the shakes and is so boring lazing about all day

over a year ago

Its quite a shame in one aspect..imagine a bricklayer for example..whose spent years mastering his craft..taking pride in himself..passing on his skills and knowledge to apprentices over the years..only to be told he cant do it anymore...

over a year ago

"Its quite a shame in one aspect..imagine a bricklayer for example..whose spent years mastering his craft..taking pride in himself..passing on his skills and knowledge to apprentices over the years..only to be told he cant do it anymore..."

See people like that should be able to teach in colleges as they really do have the knowledge and experience unlike tutors in some cases. I only say that as my sons former tutor was a mechanic before deciding to give it up and teach mechanics.

By *ylde FloozyWoman
over a year ago

preston

I used to manage a betting office in Blackpool and my cashier was 82, and had no intention of retiring.

over a year ago

"I used to manage a betting office in Blackpool and my cashier was 82, and had no intention of retiring."

If they are good enough at the job why should they be made to retire.

over a year ago

When push comes to shove they're raising the age because they can't afford to pay pensions to an ageing population.

So they reckon that if you work 'till you drop they won't need to pay you.

However,they don't seem to have grasped the fact that they'll still have to pay even more benefits to the people who can't get jobs because of all the old folk still in work.

Surely it would make more sense to lower retirement age so more jobs were vacated causing less people to claim benefits,then use the taxes for something worthwhile for a change ie: Government pensions.

XXXX

over a year ago

There's no easy answer to this problem. I would retire today if I had the means to support the standard of living I currently enjoy. In reality, I can see myself working till I'm 70 at least

Post new Message to Thread