Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

England gaining its own Parliament

Jump to newest

By *ig bad OP   Man
over a year ago

Up North :-)

Should England, like Scotland and Wales, have its own elected legislative assembly?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *awnpaulCouple
over a year ago

Hounslow

"Should England, like Scotland and Wales, have its own elected legislative assembly?

"

Why? Do we really need more politicians, or are you suggesting we do away with the British parliament?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

i thought it already had?? the rest just devolved! but then their was the west lothian question in the 80s with scots mps votin on stuff that had hee haw to do with them! complicated stuff innit!! x

By *ig bad OP   Man
over a year ago

Up North :-)

"Should England, like Scotland and Wales, have its own elected legislative assembly?

Why? Do we really need more politicians, or are you suggesting we do away with the British parliament?"

Well the Scots, welsh and Irish have a national assembly which covens there area why not the English too?

Ask a Scottish student about Uni fees and an English one. Bet the English one would like the advantages Scotland has.

over a year ago

your worry you lot voted for them lol!!

i dont know why we get free tution fees to be honest im just glad we do! i suppose for grassroots matters then it would make sense for england to have its own parliament but for nationwide issues its best the way it is, but could get even more confusing that what it is just now!

we all different but the same if that makes sense in regards to what matters in scotland, ireland etc x

over a year ago

(from newscotsman.com in 2005) SCOTLAND's annual subsidy from England has shot up to a record £2,200 a head, according to official government figures.

Given some of the other threads concerning other nationalities and their alleged hand outs why are more people not calling for the repeal of the 1707 Act of Union?

By *ensualfire88Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"(from newscotsman.com in 2005) SCOTLAND's annual subsidy from England has shot up to a record £2,200 a head, according to official government figures.

Given some of the other threads concerning other nationalities and their alleged hand outs why are more people not calling for the repeal of the 1707 Act of Union?"

SHHHH!

They send us each a cheque for £2200 at the start of every financial year dontcha know??!! It's great, usually pays for a holiday and some bits'n'bobs for the house etc. I put the rest away for a rainy day - it's turning into a nice wee nest egg.

Thanks y'all.

over a year ago

"(from newscotsman.com in 2005) SCOTLAND's annual subsidy from England has shot up to a record £2,200 a head, according to official government figures.

Given some of the other threads concerning other nationalities and their alleged hand outs why are more people not calling for the repeal of the 1707 Act of Union?

lol

SHHHH!

They send us each a cheque for £2200 at the start of every financial year dontcha know??!! It's great, usually pays for a holiday and some bits'n'bobs for the house etc. I put the rest away for a rainy day - it's turning into a nice wee nest egg.

Thanks y'all.

"

over a year ago

thought it did, Westminster?

over a year ago

SHHHH!

Thanks y'all.

"

aye me too! then i give it them back every month when the tax man divvies up my wages! but i forgot my tax contributions and national insurance and road tax etc dont count cause of this 2.200 quid that i get in subsidy even though im not a farmer or mp or someone that can claim it back x

By *ixson-BallsMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

don't we give you that little bit of a subsidy so as you're busy counting it..it takes your eye off us nicking your oil?

By *ensualfire88Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"don't we give you that little bit of a subsidy so as you're busy counting it..it takes your eye off us nicking your oil? "

Eh? You've been nicking the oil??

You bastards!

over a year ago

While I'm not in favour of breaking up the United Kingdom nor establishing an English Assembly I do think that with the Welsh & N. Irish Assemblies and the Scottish Parliament that we have a system whereby in matters of local interest to the Scots, Irish & Welsh they should be left to decide for themselves, but accordingly, when issues unique to the English are under legislation then the Welsh, N. Irish & Scottish MP's should not be permitted to vote on those issues. It would be difficult to implement as the party in power is elected based upon the votes cast in the entire UK and crucial issues that can come down to literally one vote on either side it would be difficult to disallow votes from MPs who do not represent English constituencies.

I certainly believe that there should be a levelling out of laws across the UK and an end to free prescriptions north of the border if they are not free in the south, for example.

A difficult one for sure.

By *ensualfire88Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"While I'm not in favour of breaking up the United Kingdom nor establishing an English Assembly I do think that with the Welsh & N. Irish Assemblies and the Scottish Parliament that we have a system whereby in matters of local interest to the Scots, Irish & Welsh they should be left to decide for themselves, but accordingly, when issues unique to the English are under legislation then the Welsh, N. Irish & Scottish MP's should not be permitted to vote on those issues. It would be difficult to implement as the party in power is elected based upon the votes cast in the entire UK and crucial issues that can come down to literally one vote on either side it would be difficult to disallow votes from MPs who do not represent English constituencies.

I certainly believe that there should be a levelling out of laws across the UK and an end to free prescriptions north of the border if they are not free in the south, for example.

A difficult one for sure."

The West Lothian Question has never been answered, and i doubt it ever will be - opens too many cans of worms all round.

What your saying about local accountability for local interest/issues makes sense. Take it from those of us who've got the devolved powers though - it costs a shed-load of money, to have MORE politicians, arguing over SMALLER issues who will ALL blame 'the powers at westminster' when what they are doing goes tits up.

And don't forget people - these extra, expensive politicians are all, almost by definition, second-rate - i.e how many of the scottish or welsh msps would have made it to the big parliament to represent their party?

Damn few!

over a year ago

agree with most of it but the prescriptions its your government to blame that you not gettin them they could have done the same as they done up here but opted to spend the money in other ways?

the main part i agree with, if it applies to that area then yes england should have their own parliament to deal with it but as you say would be very complicated to do! just look at the seat allocation from last election scotland returned 1 tory mp the lone rider and a few libs i think? x

over a year ago

"agree with most of it but the prescriptions its your government to blame that you not gettin them they could have done the same as they done up here but opted to spend the money in other ways?

the main part i agree with, if it applies to that area then yes england should have their own parliament to deal with it but as you say would be very complicated to do! just look at the seat allocation from last election scotland returned 1 tory mp the lone rider and a few libs i think? x"

The prescriptions issue was just one example, (Siren has just informed me that there is a charge of £3 per prescription in Scotland that is set to be reduced to nil this year but it is now under review).

The free Uni fees is another that is also review because of the cutbacks.

Maybe it should be a case of being glad that at least some of us are getting these things for free, rather than force those in the north to pay just because we in the south have to - I wouldn't want that at all.

over a year ago

in all fairness it should apply to all especially the uni fee's thing everyone should have the chance of at least tryin uni without the financial worry fallin onto the parent/s.

the prescriptions as far as im aware, are bein reduced to nil but when you think the amount who already recieve free prescriptions through tax credits its not as big a thing as its sometimes made out. i dont know who ireland and wales stand for these things either??

By *ensualfire88Man
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Prescriptions is a good example of what can happen - two sets of politicians can blame each other all the time. The voters don't get a look in!

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"agree with most of it but the prescriptions its your government to blame that you not gettin them they could have done the same as they done up here but opted to spend the money in other ways?

the main part i agree with, if it applies to that area then yes england should have their own parliament to deal with it but as you say would be very complicated to do! just look at the seat allocation from last election scotland returned 1 tory mp the lone rider and a few libs i think? x

The prescriptions issue was just one example, (Siren has just informed me that there is a charge of £3 per prescription in Scotland that is set to be reduced to nil this year but it is now under review).

The free Uni fees is another that is also review because of the cutbacks.

Maybe it should be a case of being glad that at least some of us are getting these things for free, rather than force those in the north to pay just because we in the south have to - I wouldn't want that at all."

well the funny thing was that a north east regional assembly with basic powers akin to that of the welsh model was proposed in 2004... but was voted down by people here!! seems to work in london where people seem to get along with it....

think it was a mistake as we could have had more accountability locally and if it came round again I think the vote would be so much different.....

over a year ago

SHHHH!

Thanks y'all.

"

fugg you we've got your water .........muwahhhhahahahahah aaaaa

over a year ago

SHHHH!

Thanks y'all.

fugg you we've got your water .........muwahhhhahahahahah aaaaa"

no for much longer they want to privatise it too!! xx

over a year ago

the main part i agree with, if it applies to that area then yes england should have their own parliament to deal with it but as you say would be very complicated to do! just look at the seat allocation from last election scotland returned 1 tory mp the lone rider and a few libs i think? x"

YES ! Subing you feckers but when we've squandered all your oil , on yer fecking bike

over a year ago

the main part i agree with, if it applies to that area then yes england should have their own parliament to deal with it but as you say would be very complicated to do! just look at the seat allocation from last election scotland returned 1 tory mp the lone rider and a few libs i think? xYES ! Subing you feckers but when we've squandered all your oil , on yer fecking bike"

so how is uncle norman tebit these days?? x

over a year ago

the main part i agree with, if it applies to that area then yes england should have their own parliament to deal with it but as you say would be very complicated to do! just look at the seat allocation from last election scotland returned 1 tory mp the lone rider and a few libs i think? xYES ! Subing you feckers but when we've squandered all your oil , on yer fecking bike

so how is uncle norman tebit these days?? x "

Alive an chompin at the bit to kick ass

over a year ago

the main part i agree with, if it applies to that area then yes england should have their own parliament to deal with it but as you say would be very complicated to do! just look at the seat allocation from last election scotland returned 1 tory mp the lone rider and a few libs i think? xYES ! Subing you feckers but when we've squandered all your oil , on yer fecking bike

so how is uncle norman tebit these days?? x

Alive an chompin at the bit to kick ass"

is he actually still alive?? i think the party may have locked him in a cupboard somewhere lol xx

Post new Message to Thread