Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Anemia advice.

Jump to newest

By *umpkin OP   Man
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

I`ve been diagnosed with mild anemia I`m going to have my various bits examined with the camera soon and I`ve been prescribed iron tablets too.

I`ve Googled the subject and I`m looking to supplement iron intake by altering my diet a little. I WON`T be partaking in adding liver or other offal to my diet and I have to wary of being on statins too as some citrus can damage the effect of them.

What I need to know is if anyone has had any experience of this and has learnt some handy tips - what is good iron rich foods, what helps the iron absorbsion, what reduces the effect of the iron or the absorbsion.

Thanks in advance you luvverly people!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Chocolate and red wine are great for your iron intake What better excuse do you need?

Forum Mod

over a year ago

Beware the effects of iron tablets.....black poo

over a year ago

water cress, broccoli, spinach are all good. best of luck mate

over a year ago

A good pint of guiness should do the trick.

By *ushroom7Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"A good pint of guiness should do the trick."

Excellent, i'll be over at 22.00 with a six pack.

By *ouplefunukCouple
over a year ago

North Bristol

Hi Bumpy :waves:

I was advised recently by the doctor to take my iron tablets with a glass of orange/grapefruit juice. Aparrently vitamin C helps with iron absorption. I guess this would also work if your not taking iron tablets, just iron rich foods - have a glass of juice with it.

Although red wine and spinach (as have been mentioned already) are high in iron, they also contain iron absorption inhibitors. Coffee & tea also have a similar effect.

Broccoli, tomatoes and white wine on the other hand are good iron absorption enhancers (along with OJ) but not necessarily good sources of iron.

HTH.

*Her* lol

over a year ago

After my daughters were born my doctor prescribed guiness as I became anemic after my c section full of iron and helps with producing milk total goodness. And if you dont like it straight add a little blackcurrant.

over a year ago

Iron tablet caused bad constipation. You'll need to add extra fibre to your diet to cope with them. I was supposed to take 1 per day but decided to only have one every other day this seemed to work

By *umpkin OP   Man
over a year ago

"Hi Bumpy :waves:

I was advised recently by the doctor to take my iron tablets with a glass of orange/grapefruit juice. Aparrently vitamin C helps with iron absorption. I guess this would also work if your not taking iron tablets, just iron rich foods - have a glass of juice with it.

Although red wine and spinach (as have been mentioned already) are high in iron, they also contain iron absorption inhibitors. Coffee & tea also have a similar effect.

Broccoli, tomatoes and white wine on the other hand are good iron absorption enhancers (along with OJ) but not necessarily good sources of iron.

HTH.

*Her* lol"

Hello you lovely lady! xxxx

Thanks for the advice and that goes to everyone else who gave some too!

I`ve actually been advised not to drink too much citrus and to avoid grapefruit or cranberry juices as they will reduce the effect of the statins I have to take.

By *bwitchedwarlock69Couple
over a year ago

Batley, West Yorkshire

When my mum had the lining of her womb and some polyps removed they couldn't operate initially because she was aneamic. She drank a glass of beetroot juice every day for a couple of weeks and they were able to operate. Not the most pleasant thing to drink but did the trick, for my mum at least.

By *ricky_DickyMan
over a year ago

Mirfield

Hey up Bumpy if it's iron your after why not lick the rust off one of them there John Deere tractors you drive.

Right serious now, Iron supplements taken oraly can bung you up so you may end up having to take something else to keep you regular. Iron can also be given intravenously, it's more effective than tablets and don't bung you up but can cause a reaction in some people and needs to be administered under medical supervision. I've never had a problem with it myself, and I've had it a few times when the hospital says my iron levels need topping up.

It's a myth that Guinnness contains iron, it gets it's colour from the malt when they roast it within an inch of becoming charcoal. It is actually the alcohol that affects the way the body absorbs iron.

If your iron levels are fine but you're still anemic they may prescribe Erythropoietin a hormone produced by the kidney that promotes the formation of red blood cells in the bone marrow.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

I believe eating any of the brassicas will help increase your iron levels, as for the vitamin "C" advice, just remember that if you increase your intake to more than the body needs it automatically reduces uptake so you do not absorb too much. However it takes time to readjust to a higher uptake level if you later reduce your vit "C" intake.

over a year ago

Drink Stout and eat lambs liver with onions and a bit of sage n onion stuffing with it,lovely.

Plenty of Iron in Stout and liver,or you could always get a tub of Desicated Liver Tablets from a health store,they're pretty cheap! R

By *umpkin OP   Man
over a year ago

"Hey up Bumpy if it's iron your after why not lick the rust off one of them there John Deere tractors you drive.

"

Oooh you naughty boy TD! John Deeres I drive don`t rust! My Landy is a different proposition as you well know having a small fleet of them yourself!

Once again, thanks everyone for your valued comments. They are most appreciated!

Post new Message to Thread