Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

wouldn't want it to happen to anyone i know

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

just been reading an article about a guy who was featured on last night's between life and death. i don't watch tv very often, but found the article fascinating.

he had been involved in a dreadful motorcycle accident, got an infection and slipped into a coma.

the medics were about to switch off his life support machine when the professor in charge of his care discovered he could respond by blinking. he asked him if he wanted to stay alive, one blink for no, two for yes. he is now awake.

this is all too frightening. who on earth has the right to decide if we should live or die? how many patients who are conscious have had their life support turned off.

there are certainly people in my family i don't think i trust to keep me alive under these circumstances, but i personally wouldn't wish anyone i know to go without an eeg/brain scan.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I have just watched a programme on the same thing. A lad had a motorbike accident, and all his dad kept saying was, turn his life support off as he wouldn't want to be like that.

He did start communicating with his eyes...but that was all. But it shows his brain wasn't dead.

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

You have to be careful on this to some extent. I spent 7 weeks in a coma a while while back and questions were asked if i the machines should be switched off.

The body has amazing recovery abilities at times so you never really know.

Having said that if i had not made a full recovery and had a poor quality of life i would have rather not continued. I would go with each case on merit but its who makes the judgement calls.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

so glad you with us _ig bad.

hope you don't consider my post insensitive.

xx

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

"so glad you with us _ig bad.

hope you don't consider my post insensitive.

xx"

Not at all its a real no one way is right to me as i have seen things go both ways. I still visit hospitals talking to some of the lads who have recently lost limbs and other blast victims and some are unhappy they are still alive. Each individual values quality of life at different levels and its something that isn't discussed enough.

By (user no longer on site)
Forum Mod

over a year ago

This is a problem I see too,when something tragic happens the euphoria of being alive can soon pass when you realise that life is never going to be how it was before

Its very hard to come to terms with for some people

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

[Removed by poster at 14/07/10 00:57:45]

over a year ago

"I have just watched a programme on the same thing. A lad had a motorbike accident, and all his dad kept saying was, turn his life support off as he wouldn't want to be like that.

He did start communicating with his eyes...but that was all. But it shows his brain wasn't dead."

But be honest would you want to live like that, id sooner my brain go then my body as least you dont understand whats happening when your brains gone, to live in a lifeless body fully awear of whats happening must be a living nightmear i really would sooner be dead

over a year ago

"You have to be careful on this to some extent. I spent 7 weeks in a coma a while while back and questions were asked if i the machines should be switched off.

The body has amazing recovery abilities at times so you never really know.

Having said that if i had not made a full recovery and had a poor quality of life i would have rather not continued. I would go with each case on merit but its who makes the judgement calls."

BB just a small thanks from a small man to you and all our forces protectors for giving all of us the ability to sleep safe in our beds

Not enough recognition for the lads that keep our country safe with very little recognition

Thank you all xx

over a year ago

my mum was on life support for 7 weeks after a heart bypass...4 times we were told her organs had failed and the machines were keeping her alive .We were never asked about turning them off tho ?? and she recovered ...10 years later she is still alive albeit with a heart working at 19%..but she takes her medication and has a truly wonderful quality of life .. she has DNR (do not resussitate) on her medical records tho and has asked not to go on life support again . And Im Not sure i would have been able to say yes switch the machines off ???????

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Just because someone's brain isn't dead, it doesn't mean all of it is functional. Relatives cling to the smallest strands of hope and often make selfish decisions to keep people alive... just in case. Ooowww look they moved an eyelid. Great they are not a vegetable... doesn't mean they'll be anything more than a slug with some awareness.

The truth is once the machine is turned off, you wouldn't later find out they would have made some form of recovery and then realise you made the wrong choice. The people who think "thank god we didn't", wouldn't think that... there would be no reason to.

We always get to hear of the "thank god we didn't".... I'm betting there are far more "why the fuck didn't you when you had the chance!" that we don't hear about.

Post new Message to Thread