Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Rugby league or union

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Simple question people, what do you prefer in general rugby league or union? My preference is union but that's just because I play it

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I was No. 14

By *-4pleasureCouple
over a year ago

Belfast

"Simple question people, what do you prefer in general rugby league or union? My preference is union but that's just because I play it"

Both brilliant games in their own right.

I'd plump for Union simply because there's more competition on a country basis.

over a year ago

"I was No. 14 "

Join the club;) 11 or 14 me

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Never played.....mainly because I'm a wimp, but club leve it's all about league for me, probably because I was bought up following wigan. But international rugby union is brilliant, much more competitive

By *igdave99Man
over a year ago

Manchester

League all the way!!!! But I'm bias , I play league

By *andybeachWoman
over a year ago

In the middle

Union, I married a no.4, big thing he was, well still is lol

over a year ago

Union for me

By *ingle Beds LassWoman
over a year ago

Bedfordshire

Union here and open to all offers of marriage from any of the scrum dudes mmmmmm specially front row

By *andybeachWoman
over a year ago

In the middle

"Union here and open to all offers of marriage from any of the scrum dudes mmmmmm specially front row"

Agreed, you cant beat those big boys

over a year ago

I prefer union just because it's faster play and phases, also more contact in my opinion

over a year ago

"I prefer union just because it's faster play and phases, also more contact in my opinion"

Nowadays it's just as fast as league, but go back a few years and they werent athletes like the league lads. But now you're right, it's just as fast and just as exciting

By *andybeachWoman
over a year ago

In the middle

And it will soon be 2015

By *ingle Beds LassWoman
over a year ago

Bedfordshire

"Union here and open to all offers of marriage from any of the scrum dudes mmmmmm specially front row

Agreed, you cant beat those big boys "

*dribble*

By *reasyontheeyesMan
over a year ago

out in the sticks

Union all the way!

over a year ago

There's more than one type of rugby?

over a year ago

"I prefer union just because it's faster play and phases, also more contact in my opinion"

Really? Faster? It can be in a ruck for 2 3 minutes, and more contact? Union average 40 tackle's a game in league 1 man can do that and more in a game, union lads can't live with the pace of a league game,

over a year ago

"I prefer union just because it's faster play and phases, also more contact in my opinion

Really? Faster? It can be in a ruck for 2 3 minutes, and more contact? Union average 40 tackle's a game in league 1 man can do that and more in a game, union lads can't live with the pace of a league game,"

That's your opinion, until you've played it you won't know Hahaa

By *igdave99Man
over a year ago

Manchester

I'm clearly outnumbered here, I play both codes but more of league, second row in league, fly half in union

over a year ago

Union is more competitive generally across the globe, both are popular but union all the way for me. Lived in Union and league countries, I know which is the better one

Separate statement but - everyone knows who jonny wilkinson is or Gavin Henson, whereas league hasn't the same public appeal, and it's that which drives public and commercial interest.

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Club - League

International - Union

over a year ago

"I prefer union just because it's faster play and phases, also more contact in my opinion

Really? Faster? It can be in a ruck for 2 3 minutes, and more contact? Union average 40 tackle's a game in league 1 man can do that and more in a game, union lads can't live with the pace of a league game,

That's your opinion, until you've played it you won't know Hahaa "

I have played both ha ha, played centre at league all my life, and then as I got older I played inside centre at union because it's less demanding on the body, a lot of lads have changed to union to prolong there playing career,

And we have had a few union lads come up to give it a go and everyone of them has said they struggled with the pace of league

over a year ago

Union it is for me proper head to head

over a year ago

"Union is more competitive generally across the globe, both are popular but union all the way for me. Lived in Union and league countries, I know which is the better one

Separate statement but - everyone knows who jonny wilkinson is or Gavin Henson, whereas league hasn't the same public appeal, and it's that which drives public and commercial interest. "

This is true, but everyone knows who Jason Robinson is and who Chris Ashton is both league lads turned to union,

I will say internationally union is better organised and participated,

over a year ago

Ruck maul and scrum.

Union.

That's what I played, in a woman's team.

Loose head.

over a year ago

football,,cos im good with my head can dribble n shoot from outside the box.

hate rugby,,egg chasers

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

"football,,cos im good with my head can dribble n shoot from outside the box.

hate rugby,,egg chasers"

You've missed the point, its not a bash 'rugby' thread.

Which one do you prefer?

If you dont like either, its ok, just carry on as you were and skip the thread.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Union. Have tried watching rugby league but I just don't get it! No proper tackles, no rucks, no scrums,if you get tackled 5 times you have to give possession to the other team!!

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"Union is more competitive generally across the globe, both are popular but union all the way for me. Lived in Union and league countries, I know which is the better one

Separate statement but - everyone knows who jonny wilkinson is or Gavin Henson, whereas league hasn't the same public appeal, and it's that which drives public and commercial interest.

This is true, but everyone knows who Jason Robinson is and who Chris Ashton is both league lads turned to union,

I will say internationally union is better organised and participated, "

They only know who they are since they changed codes though

over a year ago

Union in chronological order played 4, 8, 6, 1, 2 as age, speed and size influenced where I was most suited to play. Retired at the ripe old age of 30 when the standard of the rugby had slipped to thuggery

over a year ago

At club level, I'd go for league, - much faster, more skillful & unlike union, they actually play for 80 mins, - & Union at international level, obviously.

Oh, & both codes have to be played by teams from down under!!

over a year ago

Hi everyone.. Union all the way..

I played number ten for my country at under 15s, 16, 17 and 21s

Faster, stronger and a lot better competition both domestically and internationally x

By *ittykate84Woman
over a year ago

CHESTER

Union most definitely!

League after all is based on unions touch rugby so it will never be as good! I find union requires a lot more skill over brute strength even though that is needed too!

Oh also ex union player & an RU photographer so slightly biased haha x

over a year ago

I will say internationally union is better organised and participated,

They only know who they are since they changed codes though "

The only one I've heard of is johnny wilkinson. No idea who the others are.

over a year ago

Union, for no other reason than I used to watch the 5 nations with my grandparents and was local to the Mosely ground. Rugby had no real presence in Brum when I was young but what there was was almost entirely Union so League is something I've hardly ever watched

over a year ago

Union

By *xpresMan
over a year ago

Elland

Played hooker in League up to county for schoolboys and played the same hooker in Union for the REME both high standards, but League is a harder more physical game but Union Is faster I personally prefer league

over a year ago

Club - league wigan all the way

International.-- union ireland ireland

By *bbandflowCouple
over a year ago

South Devon

"Union most definitely!

League after all is based on unions touch rugby so it will never be as good! I find union requires a lot more skill over brute strength even though that is needed too!

Oh also ex union player & an RU photographer so slightly biased haha x"

Based on Union touch rugby?..Formed as a breakaway professional code in Huddersfield in 1895!

over a year ago

"Union most definitely!

Oh also ex union player & an RU photographer so slightly biased haha x

Based on Union touch rugby?..Formed as a breakaway professional code in Huddersfield in 1895!"

This

Biased? Ever so slightly!

over a year ago

Rugby league for me any day of the week played both but love my rugby league

over a year ago

Rugby league for me any day of the week played both but love my rugby league

over a year ago

Loved playing Rugby at school but I was always pushed into football

over a year ago

Union for the rough n tumble, but I can appreciate the speed in league.

Wish I played

over a year ago

"Simple question people, what do you prefer in general rugby league or union? My preference is union but that's just because I play it"

union for me former scrum.half although i did try my hand at league with the oldham bears as it was at watershedding in the very early 90's when union was totally amateur.

over a year ago

League any day. Faster, more flowing and far more skilful.

Union has degenerated into a contest of who can cheat there way to forcing the most penalties. It has become so dull lately!

(Saint Helens fan)

over a year ago

Grew up playing Union but watched professional League every week.

There was an odd statistic a while back in answer to which was the most physically demnading contact sport (in the world).

Rugby League were proud to be the winners on the basis that their players suffered the most "injured" downtime, some 27% or so of potential playing time.

over a year ago

Union

over a year ago

Those of you who play either please feel free to send me the pics of you in kit

By *ittykate84Woman
over a year ago

CHESTER

"Those of you who play either please feel free to send me the pics of you in kit "

As a rugby photographer i have a laptop full of hot men in rugby kits

over a year ago

"Those of you who play either please feel free to send me the pics of you in kit

As a rugby photographer i have a laptop full of hot men in rugby kits "

Jealous much

By *uessWhosBackAgainMan
over a year ago

London

stupid question from a football fan

but what is the difference between the two?

over a year ago

"League any day. Faster, more flowing and far more skilful.

Union has degenerated into a contest of who can cheat there way to forcing the most penalties. It has become so dull lately!

(Saint Helens fan)"

union is more tactica compared to league which is one out set moves and territory through the boot however the main problem with union is the interpretation of the ruck and maul.rule by the refrees in the northern and southern hemispheres.

By *xycoyotecplMan
over a year ago

Loughbourgh

Rugby union much better more contact by far I used to play number 10 or on the wing being welsh it's just in my DNA looks like our youngest is going to be a rugby player as well going to enjoy teaching him how to play when he ets older

over a year ago

(Saint Helens fan)

union is more tactica compared to league which is one out set moves and territory through the boot however the main problem with union is the interpretation of the ruck and maul.rule by the refrees in the northern and southern hemispheres.

"

One of the problems of Union for spectators, which even the authorities acknowledge, is that no one knows what the fuck is happening during "rucks" and "mauls" and the like and/or why so many penalties are gievn.

Also, ever notice in the big games how Union doesn't like to show replays of forward passes? The number of forward passes, which are clearly forward, is huge.

over a year ago

(Saint Helens fan)

One of the problems of Union for spectators, which even the authorities acknowledge, is that no one knows what the fuck is happening during "rucks" and "mauls" and the like and/or why so many penalties are gievn.

Also, ever notice in the big games how Union doesn't like to show replays of forward passes? The number of forward passes, which are clearly forward, is huge. "

its difficult with the momentum.rule although i do agree they seem.to be on the rise

over a year ago

sky and super dooper league is ruining rl in my opinion x

over a year ago

1996. Two match "test series" between Bath (current union champions) and Wigan (league). One game under each set of rules.

Union rules: Bath 44, Wigan 19 (even Stevens in second half once Wigan got a grip of the rules/cheating tactics)

League rules: Wigan 82, Bath 6 (no further comment needed - Bath couldn't cope with the speed of play in Rugby League)

Makes our arguments a little pointless really.

over a year ago

Still playing union as a no4 and have all my life.

Dont see the point in league tbh. Just big lads running at each other, no real tackling (well not often), no real contesting of the ball. Fast yes but largely pointless.

over a year ago

no real tackling what league matches u watched ????under 8s lol its toughest team sport in the world even most union lads agree xx

over a year ago

Leauge all the way here, you even have an ex league player as one of the England Union coaches (andy Farrell)

over a year ago

On the whole, I'd have to say League, - especially the NRL.

Faster, more skill, more passing, about 80 mins of play - as against about 65 mins of kick 'n' clap, union (about 10 mins must be lost with penalty takers making imaginary golf shots before they kick the penalty/conversion).

League is just an all round tougher & more entertaining sport, sport!!

By *etitesaraTV/TS
over a year ago

rochdale

Really? Faster? It can be in a ruck for 2 3 minutes, and more contact? Union average 40 tackle's a game in league 1 man can do that and more in a game, union lads can't live with the pace of a league game,"

Was it Sonny Bill Williams who said exactly the opposite - that "the leagueies couldn't live with the aerobic demands of rugby" compared to League?

over a year ago

Ive played both codes but im a league man all the way

over a year ago

Ok I'm a union man I'm a prop lossehead by trade that actually props things up lol

Love southern hemisphere league they do this novel thing called passing hate English league the stop start run 5 meters thing just does my nut in .

PS I also hate the new aerial pingpong union has got into recently

over a year ago

See can tell I'm a prop I couldn't spell loose right

over a year ago

Was it Sonny Bill Williams who said exactly the opposite - that "the leagueies couldn't live with the aerobic demands of rugby" compared to League?

"

Was Sonny Bill Williams blind the....or just stupid?

Wigan 82, Bath 6..... When playing an open, expansive game exactly who could not keep up?

over a year ago

"1996. Two match "test series" between Bath (current union champions) and Wigan (league). One game under each set of rules.

Union rules: Bath 44, Wigan 19 (even Stevens in second half once Wigan got a grip of the rules/cheating tactics)

League rules: Wigan 82, Bath 6 (no further comment needed - Bath couldn't cope with the speed of play in Rugby League)

Makes our arguments a little pointless really."

that is a unfair comparison to be honest i watched both games in the flesh and both sides werent on their straps in both games its only purpose was to introduce and in entice more league players across to union whether as players or coaches with shaun edwards andy farrell alan bateman jon bentley and the greatest convert jason robinson crossing the divide and making massive impacts and nothing showed that more than the lions tour of south africa in 1997

the same impact as been made from union to league with the quinells jonathan davies scott gibbs and martin offiah making massive impacts at club and international level.

Therefore this discussion on whether league or union is best is pointless as they are different games within the same area of the sport therefore lets just enjoy the fact that we have both great codes in the first place.

over a year ago

I know that there's only really three countries who play league at a high standard but J. Davies & 'great balls' hardly made a 'massive' impact at international level Rugby League, - the Aussies consistently made them look very ordinary indeed, in fact, Offiah played in the then ARL & just looked a very average player for St George.

There was a huge gulf in class in Northern & Southern hemisphere Rugby League - in both codes, tbh - but now, in union at least, things are looking much closer!!

over a year ago

"I know that there's only really three countries who play league at a high standard but J. Davies & 'great balls' hardly made a 'massive' impact at international level Rugby League, - the Aussies consistently made them look very ordinary indeed, in fact, Offiah played in the then ARL & just looked a very average player for St George.

There was a huge gulf in class in Northern & Southern hemisphere Rugby League - in both codes, tbh - but now, in union at least, things are looking much closer!!"

I agree with a lot of what your saying, except the Jonathan Davies bit, the guy was brilliant at both codes, one of very few people to be loved and admired by both codes, 92 test series against the aussies he was brilliant, and the 94 world club challenge against Canberra he made lory Daley look foolish

over a year ago

None .. football only in our house

over a year ago

I enjoy watching both as I love competitive sport league is much faster but I find union more brutal I would of like to have played but am a pussy so stuck to football it was the safest option for me

over a year ago

Union.

Tight head prop... Still going strong at 42.

By *cobMan
over a year ago

here

I've played both and my preference is union, currently still playing as a tight head! It is a sport that there's a position and place for everyone on the pitch....if they dare to pull a pair of boots on.

over a year ago

"I know that there's only really three countries who play league at a high standard but J. Davies & 'great balls' hardly made a 'massive' impact at international level Rugby League, - the Aussies consistently made them look very ordinary indeed, in fact, Offiah played in the then ARL & just looked a very average player for St George.

There was a huge gulf in class in Northern & Southern hemisphere Rugby League - in both codes, tbh - but now, in union at least, things are looking much closer!!

I agree with a lot of what your saying, except the Jonathan Davies bit, the guy was brilliant at both codes, one of very few people to be loved and admired by both codes, 92 test series against the aussies he was brilliant, and the 94 world club challenge against Canberra he made lory Daley look foolish"

That '94 club challenge was an embarrassment, though, remember?

every English team except for wigan lost all of their respective group games - by huge margins - & then Wigan were beaten by ARL/NRL basement dwellers Auckland Warriors in the next round, quarter finals, from memory????

It was a long time ago now but I think that I'm remembering correctly????

over a year ago

I agree with a lot of what your saying, except the Jonathan Davies bit, the guy was brilliant at both codes, one of very few people to be loved and admired by both codes, 92 test series against the aussies he was brilliant, and the 94 world club challenge against Canberra he made lory Daley look foolish

every English team except for wigan lost all of their respective group games - by huge margins - & then Wigan were beaten by ARL/NRL basement dwellers Auckland Warriors in the next round, quarter finals, from memory????

It was a long time ago now but I think that I'm remembering correctly???? "

No that was late 90's, 94 was a simple there champions against our champions, and widnes beat Canberra at old Trafford, think I might be out a few years though might be late 80's, but Davies was brilliant

over a year ago

It was a long time ago now but I think that I'm remembering correctly????

No that was late 90's, 94 was a simple there champions against our champions, and widnes beat Canberra at old Trafford, think I might be out a few years though might be late 80's, but Davies was brilliant"

That tournament was early to mid-nineties, dude, - when the super league split/fiasco happened down under, that's what I thought you were referring to, sorry.

I'm no Aussie lover, - more of a basher, tbh, but the one-off 'world challenge' games seem to me to be a little on the meaningless side, - I mean, it's usually a case of jet lagged Aussies arrive for a big pay day without so much as a decent warm up game & it used to be off season for them, too; hardly a level playing field for such a so-called 'big' game!!

But again, I'm no Aussie lover I promise you!!

over a year ago

It can't of been mid 90's super league didn't start until 96, and it was after that think it was 97, or 98, and your right that was awful for English clubs, it just showed how far behind we were, and we are still nowhere near them

over a year ago

I'm a southerner so it's union all the way.

I've tried to become interested in league but I just can't

over a year ago

"It can't of been mid 90's super league didn't start until 96, and it was after that think it was 97, or 98, and your right that was awful for English clubs, it just showed how far behind we were, and we are still nowhere near them"

My apologies dude, I've just been looking that up; you were correct, that tournament was in '97, -all I have to do now is find that four years of my life that I've misplaced!!

I also thought that the Warriors (Akl) were beaten by Brisbane in the final - but it was the semis; used to party way too hard, evidently!!

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

having played both at a not bad level... you have to be fitter to play league than union

i do love watching southern hemisphere rugby league... but northern hemisphere rugby union...

over a year ago

"having played both at a not bad level... you have to be fitter to play league than union

i do love watching southern hemisphere rugby league... but northern hemisphere rugby union..."

Who's your money on for the world cup next year, Fabio?

over a year ago

hate rugby,,egg chasers

Which one do you prefer?

If you dont like either, its ok, just carry on as you were and skip the thread."

sorry ya know me im just silly,,,I LOVE RUGBY and people that are into rugby are really really lovely .

over a year ago

Union every time her

over a year ago

hate rugby,,egg chasers

Which one do you prefer?

sorry ya know me im just silly,,,I LOVE RUGBY and people that are into rugby are really really lovely . "

Hmmmmmmm, how sincere of you!/

over a year ago

hate rugby,,egg chasers

Which one do you prefer?

sorry ya know me im just silly,,,I LOVE RUGBY and people that are into rugby are really really lovely .

Hmmmmmmm, how sincere of you!/ "

See what I mean your adorable

over a year ago

hate rugby,,egg chasers

Which one do you prefer?

Hmmmmmmm, how sincere of you!/

See what I mean your adorable "

actually the OP is very adorable,,yum

over a year ago

best comment ever on the difference was when Jonathon Davies went back to union from playing league - he said it was the first time he had been cold on a field for a while - league is the better all round game but union is more technical with scrums and line outs

over a year ago

league because the men are fitter and rougher looking

funny how many men on here claim to be 'rugby build' when i look at the pics i see nothing like the men you see playing rugby

x

over a year ago

Both equally.......

COYS!

over a year ago

I play union , but love watching rugby league !

over a year ago

"league because the men are fitter and rougher looking

funny how many men on here claim to be 'rugby build' when i look at the pics i see nothing like the men you see playing rugby

x"

I don't get this rugby build thing, there's all sorts of shapes and sizes play both codes,

over a year ago

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Sam Burgess handles the change of code next month. If all goes well he could be unstoppable!

over a year ago

"I'm really looking forward to seeing how Sam Burgess handles the change of code next month. If all goes well he could be unstoppable!"

There on about playing him at centre, he will destroy them, he has been the best player in the world for the last 2 years

over a year ago

Brought up as a league fan, prefer to watch union but do think league players are fitter

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"having played both at a not bad level... you have to be fitter to play league than union

i do love watching southern hemisphere rugby league... but northern hemisphere rugby union...

Who's your money on for the world cup next year, Fabio?"

ooooh..... hard to look past new zealand... but I am not convinced that a southern hemisphere team will win in the north this time round....

should be good.....

glad you didn't ask me about Aussie rugby league.... my team (cronulla) finished dead last....

have to say as rugby specticals I love "state of origin".... and actually the heiniken cup (the format they has was brilliant.. but we shall see if the product is improved by going down from 24 to 20 teams)

over a year ago

My ten pence worth...

Not sure League forwards would be able to cope with the physical demands of the breakdowns in Union...going from scrum to ruck, to ruck, to ruck etc. Making breaks, tackling, etc.

Alternatively I do think League backs are fitter and generally stronger than the Union pretty boys..

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

just thinking what my rugby history was...

union..... 14,12..... and stayed as an inside centre...

league..... winger, fullback, centre/ loose forward,

over a year ago

"My ten pence worth...

Not sure League forwards would be able to cope with the physical demands of the breakdowns in Union...going from scrum to ruck, to ruck, to ruck etc. Making breaks, tackling, etc.

Alternatively I do think League backs are fitter and generally stronger than the Union pretty boys.. "

The thing that cost league forwards is the technical side of the game, getting on the wrong side, and not releasing, the new Zealand captain is an ex league forward, or it was don't know if they've changed, Brad thorn he played for brisbane,

over a year ago

I like both union for the tactical and intelligence league for power and pace .to choose one over the other I think union would just edge it

over a year ago

"My ten pence worth...

Alternatively I do think League backs are fitter and generally stronger than the Union pretty boys..

The thing that cost league forwards is the technical side of the game, getting on the wrong side, and not releasing, the new Zealand captain is an ex league forward, or it was don't know if they've changed, Brad thorn he played for brisbane, "

Thought you meant Richie McCaw then!! He's always getting himself in front of the back foot...going in from the side....etc.

over a year ago

"My ten pence worth...

The thing that cost league forwards is the technical side of the game, getting on the wrong side, and not releasing, the new Zealand captain is an ex league forward, or it was don't know if they've changed, Brad thorn he played for brisbane,

Thought you meant Richie McCaw then!! He's always getting himself in front of the back foot...going in from the side....etc."

He must do alright, he's the captain of the best side in the world, undefeated in 18 months or whatever it is,

over a year ago

Played full back in both codes.

Though league is harder and faster .so league.

By *nDeexXxCouple
over a year ago

Rossendale

Enjoy both, but prefer league, but then am up North!

By *andcCouple
over a year ago

London and Cheshire

League for me, played second row (many years ago) for me Union has too many rules, which causes it to be too complicated and also to many penalties.

By *john121Man
over a year ago

staffs

union, but from time to time I enjoy the inferior game too.

Watched All Ireland football last night whats that all about? deliberately knocking the ball of the cup when the keeper was about to kick? strange but strangely enjoyable!

Aussie Rules another confused game

over a year ago

League is by far the superior code.

Union or Yawnion as I know it as is the only game I know where the spectators touch the ball more then some of the players.

It's kick and clap.

League players are more skillful, faster and can pass a ball backwards as the rules require.

By *all-Eddies QosCouple
over a year ago

wirral

I just like perving if I'm honest

over a year ago

"I just like perving if I'm honest"

Have to agree. All those fit men (swoon!)

By *xycoyotecplMan
over a year ago

Loughbourgh

"League is by far the superior code.

Union or Yawnion as I know it as is the only game I know where the spectators touch the ball more then some of the players.

It's kick and clap.

League players are more skillful, faster and can pass a ball backwards as the rules require."

But can't tackle just like what they do in schools basically touch rugby hardly any contact which is what rugby is about union is by far the superior rugby

over a year ago

It's kick and clap.

League players are more skillful, faster and can pass a ball backwards as the rules require.

But can't tackle just like what they do in schools basically touch rugby hardly any contact which is what rugby is about union is by far the superior rugby "

Hardly any contact in the tackle, eh?

You should try playing against the south Auckland clubs, full of Polynesians & Maoris, - wouldn't like to be the one picking up the spare ribs!

By *asques and boxersCouple
over a year ago

Ashford and dept16

Union. ......

more to it and love the scrummaging (2)

By *ltravioletWoman
over a year ago

In amongst the Unicorns & fairy dust

I agree with BigDave !!!! League is far better especially when I can get closer to all those fit buttocks mmmmmm

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Played union in school, I was a prop. I have to say union.

over a year ago

It's kick and clap.

But can't tackle just like what they do in schools basically touch rugby hardly any contact which is what rugby is about union is by far the superior rugby "

Very, very well said haha

By *horltzMan
over a year ago

heysham

Union , although I like league too

By *john121Man
over a year ago

staffs

depends, 1st June I was at Twickers to watch an England xv V the Barbarians.The day also featured the Bill Beamont Cup Final and the County Championship Shield Final. and it was a good day, but, when I want to watch a game which I don't need to think about I'll enjoy Rugby League. The internationals are god fun too.

I only played up to colts level 2nd row and sadly as per usual life and knee injury got in the way not good in line outs or sprinting for the ball, I could carry but my knee and job finally got in the way. incidentally the knee injury was a motorcycle injury not rugby!

For me my era was the 70's and being of welsh origins I was fortunate to see probably one of the best teams to pick up the ball with such players as Phil Bennett,Gareth Edwards, JPR Williams,Derek Quinnell,Gerald Davies,Steve Fenwick,JJ Williams,can't leave out Barry John, Ray Gravell, Pontypool front-row of Graham Price, Bobby Windsor and Charlie Faulkner.

The team now and in recent years are trying to recapture and write their own records and my god what a different breed and physical specimens they're now! And of course one of their most capped players Gareth Thomas at 6'3" 16 stone back and 100 caps is gay. always accepted and never an issue.Oh and he also played league!

My house is torn so I will cheer on England and for me Martin Johnson and the team of the late 90's were excellent and world wide Rugby was superb! remember the Jonah Lomu try to beat the Wallabies in front of 110,000 people in 2000! it was acclaimed The Greatest Game of Rugby ever!

Of course in 2003 a certain England player kicked a last min drop goal to win the world cup! now who was it? lol

and of course you can't leave out the South African Springboks!

There 95 World cup winning team lead by the enigmatic Francois Pienaar, you have to admit the probably had the most famous fan in the WORLD Nelson Mandela who handed Pienaar the trophy!

I seem to think the next world cup is rapidly approaching in just under a year and it's here!

over a year ago

But taking everything in to account, both 1-8 & 9-15, as far as world cup rugby is concerned, the hemisphere tally of

Northern 1 - 6 Southern - is hardly flattering the south, that's for sure!

But I agree, the Welsh team of the early 70's were phenomenal albeit very much on there own in the then 5 nations - IMHO, of course!

By *john121Man
over a year ago

staffs

"But taking everything in to account, both 1-8 & 9-15, as far as world cup rugby is concerned, the hemisphere tally of

But I agree, the Welsh team of the early 70's were phenomenal albeit very much on there own in the then 5 nations - IMHO, of course! "

It's sad Wales welsh rugby captain Sam Warburton was red carded in the semifinal for a somewhat dubious interpretation of a spear tackle by the Irish ref as we would probably have had the Welsh as World Champions! def an irish decision!

over a year ago

"But taking everything in to account, both 1-8 & 9-15, as far as world cup rugby is concerned, the hemisphere tally of

But I agree, the Welsh team of the early 70's were phenomenal albeit very much on there own in the then 5 nations - IMHO, of course!

It's sad Wales welsh rugby captain Sam Warburton was red carded in the semifinal for a somewhat dubious interpretation of a spear tackle by the Irish ref as we would probably have had the Welsh as World Champions! def an irish decision!"

An Irish decision??????

over a year ago

Played rugby league up to Warrington school boy level (u16), then played union for Army u18, TA u21, Uni of Liverpool 1st XV, then various clubs since.

I prefer to watch League (find it a beyter spectator sport), but play union.

over a year ago

League without a doubt for as having played and watched both league better by far.

Union has it good points especially the final whistle.

Whilst league my favourite fact you cannot contest scrums it to me its biggest let down.

Downside to union for me is the ridiculous libe outs won by team who can their player the highest make it better by one player each side only contesting it. Also all the kicking from one end of pitch to the other and returned is boting.

I like union when its played by fast handling and running not run a yard and fall over.

Both have strengths just league for me.

over a year ago

I have no preference. I like both! I support Leeds Rhinos, I am an avid supporter of the Scotland and Wales 6nation teams! I married an ex rugby player!

What's not to love about the game??

over a year ago

Well, I was up at sparrow fart to watch the magnificent Rugby League Four Nations Final between The Kangaroos & The Kiwis, so good it was, that I just had to watch the highlights early this afternoon .............. & then I watched the complete -Wales vs Fiji - Rugby Union Dross; - enough said!!

over a year ago

Union all the way....c'mon Cherry & Whites

By *xpresMan
over a year ago

Elland

Played Hooker in both codes to a decent standard league is by far the hardest game union may be a bit faster now but all in all league is best

over a year ago

Rygbi Union for me, I didn't even know there was such a thing as League till I was in my late twenties

over a year ago

Union for me as it's what I play. 2nd row. No.5

over a year ago

union to play but league to watch

over a year ago

Both, I find both games highly entertaining for differing reasons. Oh and because it's not football

over a year ago

"Rygbi Union for me, I didn't even know there was such a thing as League till I was in my late twenties "

Blah blah blah.....

over a year ago

"Rygbi Union for me, I didn't even know there was such a thing as League till I was in my late twenties "

over a year ago

"Well, I was up at sparrow fart to watch the magnificent Rugby League Four Nations Final between The Kangaroos & The Kiwis, so good it was, that I just had to watch the highlights early this afternoon .............. & then I watched the complete -Wales vs Fiji - Rugby Union Dross; - enough said!! "

Well put.

over a year ago

"Rygbi Union for me, I didn't even know there was such a thing as League till I was in my late twenties

Blah blah blah..... "

What the hell is that comment for?????

By *airy_HettyWoman
over a year ago

Greater London

I don't care to be honest unless the player is 'fit'....

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I'm gonna need fucking by more of both lots, so that I can make a clearer decision.

over a year ago

"Rygbi Union for me, I didn't even know there was such a thing as League till I was in my late twenties

Blah blah blah.....

What the hell is that comment for?????"

Cos I figured that it had to be tongue in cheek, of course!!!

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 15/11/14 19:02:19]

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

have to be league for me as played alongside Mike Ford at school plus union gives me neck ache all that kicking for touch

over a year ago

"[Removed by poster at 15/11/14 19:02:19]"

Ditto

By *uslaffMan
over a year ago

manchester

"Simple question people, what do you prefer in general rugby league or union? My preference is union but that's just because I play it

but what is the difference between the two? "

Union has 15 players,league 13.

Union unlimited phases of play,unless possession is lost,or a penalty occurs,league has 6 tackles with play the ball restarting play.

Union is popular down south,league is played by heterosexual men..........

over a year ago

"Simple question people, what do you prefer in general rugby league or union? My preference is union but that's just because I play it

Union unlimited phases of play,unless possession is lost,or a penalty occurs,league has 6 tackles with play the ball restarting play.

Union is popular down south,league is played by heterosexual men.......... "

League is extremely popular down south but way, way down south!!!

over a year ago

It's got to be union. I couldn't sit through a league match

over a year ago

union allday

over a year ago

"It's got to be union. I couldn't sit through a league match "

Agreed, I preferred the good old standing up, too!!

By *utumnWoman
over a year ago

leeds

League

over a year ago

That final today was one of the best games of rl I have seen in ages, the whole 4 nations as been brilliant

By *ibbyhunterCouple
over a year ago

keighley

got to be league, the ref's in union has too much influence on the outcome of the game.

over a year ago

League for shel (grew up in Yorkshire) and played league

Union for Paul and he played for the county

over a year ago

"That final today was one of the best games of rl I have seen in ages, the whole 4 nations as been brilliant "

Totally agree, & every single game was ultra competitive; fantastic to see Samoa step up to the plate when, let's face it, they've been having their players stolen by NZ & Oz for decades......... & in the last decade, England have been jumping on that bandwagon, too!!

Fantastic tournament!!

.......& then there was today's Autumn Internationals ........... zzz zzzzzzzz zzz zzzzzz zzzzzzzzzz zzzz

over a year ago

"That final today was one of the best games of rl I have seen in ages, the whole 4 nations as been brilliant

Totally agree, & every single game was ultra competitive; fantastic to see Samoa step up to the plate when, let's face it, they've been having their players stolen by NZ & Oz for decades......... & in the last decade, England have been jumping on that bandwagon, too!!

Fantastic tournament!!

.......& then there was today's Autumn Internationals ........... zzz zzzzzzzz zzz zzzzzz zzzzzzzzzz zzzz "

I haven't watched a single minute of them or the football, just don't interest me, give me rl and cricket any day

By *uessWhosBackAgainMan
over a year ago

London

Thank you only took 7weeks to get an answer lol

over a year ago

over a year ago

Union is popular down south,league is played by heterosexual men..........

Thank you only took 7weeks to get an answer lol "

Haha tell me about it

By *U1966Man
over a year ago

Devon

Union still playing great game

League i can't even watch boring crap

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

I will say internationally union is better organised and participated, "

I played league as a youth (hooker) and took up union for fun and in my mid 30s, I'm still quick enough to play on the wing.....

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

Given your location and your preference for the 13 man game, one has to wonder if you follow the reds or Swinton....

Post new Message to Thread