Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

DIY Help

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

My curtain pole fixture has been ripped outta the wall... is there any glue out there that will fix it back into the holes?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ndy8goldMan
over a year ago

blackburn

Mine has done the same

Hope you don't mind if I share the advice that's forthcoming lol

Cheers Andy x

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"My curtain pole fixture has been ripped outta the wall... is there any glue out there that will fix it back into the holes?"

That depends how big of a hole its made. You could try No Nails to put a new rawl plug in and then screw the pole back in

By *xpresMan
over a year ago

Elland

Best filling the holes with a polyfiller type thing then move the curtain pole a inch or two

over a year ago

Lol mine did and I had no bedroom curtains for like 8 months

My mate got a raw plug is that's what they are called that opens out in side the hole and it's back up now

By *layerzCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

Yes, you could try no nails, which is strong and quite enduring, though the best bet would be to fill the hole , let it go off and then using rawlplugs refit the pole....

Hope it helps.

over a year ago

new raw plug, pack it out if the hole is too big screw back in jobs a gooden

over a year ago

gimps top Tip.

Dont swing from the Curtain Pole

over a year ago

Raw plugs is the right way to put it back up. Glug might hold them up for a while depending on weight

Raw plugs if going into the wall u ll need a drill with hammer action, manasory drill bit, correct seize raw plug and screw to match.

If it's just plaster u ll need plaster plugs a drill, a ordinary drill bit etc but all depends on the weight of the curtains.

No nails is good but don't hang curtains back up for 12 to 24 holes

Other useful tools be a spirit level

Hope that helps

By *orthyorkypairCouple
over a year ago

North Yorkshire

"gimps top Tip.

Dont swing from the Curtain Pole "

or get someone in to reinforce fixings and pole before you do lol

over a year ago

I'm amazed about this subject , I thought you would get loads of single blokes saying they well come round and put it back up for you or that they will come round and fill your holes for you

The hot weather must be turning them into polite mature men for a change lol

By *ornyandwellhungMan
over a year ago

belfast

I love filling holes, pity I didn't live closer to you. I could have popped around and filled all your holes sexy!

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

"I love filling holes, pity I didn't live closer to you. I could have popped around and filled all your holes sexy!"

Pass me a bucket

over a year ago

its not been completely ripped off the wall,, just where my 4yr old decided to be Tarzan she's pulled the top 2 of the 3 screws for the fixture out (so the curtain pole fixture is still attached by the bottom screw but its forward.. i have to push it back into the wall but wont support the weight of my curtains when i replace the pole

was hoping i could just get some glue and bung it in the hole then shove the screws back in

over a year ago

"I love filling holes, pity I didn't live closer to you. I could have popped around and filled all your holes sexy!"

ermmmm PASS

over a year ago

"No longer single"

Don't you now have a man that can?

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Best to replace the plugs. They are colour coded so get the ones the same colour. Squirt a little No Nails or similar in the hole, push the new plug in while the No Nails whilst it`s still soft and leave for a few hours to set. You can then screw the bracket/rail back up.

Don`t forget to stand on something substantial so you don`t fall off!

over a year ago

"Best to replace the plugs. They are colour coded so get the ones the same colour. Squirt a little No Nails or similar in the hole, push the new plug in while the No Nails whilst it`s still soft and leave for a few hours to set. You can then screw the bracket/rail back up.

Don`t forget to stand on something substantial so you don`t fall off!"

there were no raw plugs

over a year ago

""No longer single"

Don't you now have a man that can? "

Cant women do DIY then? Why should i have to be dependant on a man?

over a year ago

Fit a blind....

over a year ago

"Fit a blind...."

actually thats not a bad idea

over a year ago

"Raw plugs is the right way to put it back up. Glug might hold them up for a while depending on weight

Raw plugs if going into the wall u ll need a drill with hammer action, manasory drill bit, correct seize raw plug and screw to match.

If it's just plaster u ll need plaster plugs a drill, a ordinary drill bit etc but all depends on the weight of the curtains.

No nails is good but don't hang curtains back up for 12 to 24 holes

Other useful tools be a spirit level

Hope that helps "

You need a username change to ManAtB&Q

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

Firstly they are wall plugs or rawl plugs, not raw plugs!

Yes, you can effectively glue them back in if that's what you want to do. Go to screwfix, explain the problem and ask for a chemical anchor system. They sell resins that you squidge into the hole and push the fixing into.

Using a large rawl plug is also an option. You can also use the aforementioned resin to fill the holes because it sets sold and new holes can be drilled.

By *ornyandwellhungMan
over a year ago

belfast

""No longer single"

Cant women do DIY then? Why should i have to be dependant on a man? "

Women can try all they like but there's some jobs it takes a man for. On the other hand, there are jobs that women do best too. We all need each other.

over a year ago

""No longer single"

Cant women do DIY then? Why should i have to be dependant on a man? "

Good answer! I'll try again, with a more helpful response then .....

If pole fitting was attached to wall plaster without a rawlplug, then little wonder it came out!

You could try an 'instant grab adhesive' as suggested, but they are not designed for hole filling - certainly nothing over about 10mm.

Try getting it in a small plastic syringe, rather than the larger tube dispensers (which require a sealant gun anyway!)

Let it begin to set for about 10 mins, and then carefully make a hole using a pencil (using the curtain pole fitting as a guide - the hole MUST be in exactly the right place!)

I would let it set for at least 12 hours, and then use a new rawl plug and screw in the hole.

The other two screws should be able to be tightened up, if they didn't pull out completely, but WILL need rawlplugs if not fitted.

Good Luck!

By *ornyandwellhungMan
over a year ago

belfast

"I love filling holes, pity I didn't live closer to you. I could have popped around and filled all your holes sexy!

ermmmm PASS "

I'm am so glad you passed, i live too far from you. It wasn't an offer.

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Just a thought! Are your walls solid brick/block or are they plasterboard?

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

""No longer single"

Women can try all they like but there's some jobs it takes a man for. On the other hand, there are jobs that women do best too. We all need each other. "

Other than writing one's name in the snow, what, pray tell, are these jobs that women can't do?

over a year ago

lol i thought they were 'rawl' plugs but said 'raw' plugs as others had and thought maybe i had it wrong..

Thanks everyone for the advice.

over a year ago

"Just a thought! Are your walls solid brick/block or are they plasterboard?"

Solid concrete.. took a really big drill to get these dam curtain poles up in the first place

By *luezuluMan
over a year ago

Suffolk

""No longer single"

Good answer! I'll try again, with a more helpful response then .....

If pole fitting was attached to wall plaster without a rawlplug, then little wonder it came out!

You could try an 'instant grab adhesive' as suggested, but they are not designed for hole filling - certainly nothing over about 10mm.

Try getting it in a small plastic syringe, rather than the larger tube dispensers (which require a sealant gun anyway!)

Let it begin to set for about 10 mins, and then carefully make a hole using a pencil (using the curtain pole fitting as a guide - the hole MUST be in exactly the right place!)

I would let it set for at least 12 hours, and then use a new rawl plug and screw in the hole.

The other two screws should be able to be tightened up, if they didn't pull out completely, but WILL need rawlplugs if not fitted.

Good Luck! "

Being a joiner by trade, I can confer that the above is the best way. Spot on fella

By *ornyandwellhungMan
over a year ago

belfast

""No longer single"

Women can try all they like but there's some jobs it takes a man for. On the other hand, there are jobs that women do best too. We all need each other.

Other than writing one's name in the snow, what, pray tell, are these jobs that women can't do?"

Did you ever try pissing over a 5 bar gate?

over a year ago

ive seen 'uni bond _xpress repair epoxy putty'.. its a filler and a strong glue..

yay or nay?

By *iss_Samantha_LovecockTV/TS
over a year ago

bmth /poole sometimes blandford

push some paper into the hole or slide a couple of matches in there and the screw might hold if holes not to big.. a botch job but it often works

over a year ago

"Being a joiner by trade, I can confer that the above is the best way. Spot on fella "

Thanks although I'd just like to add that I don't personally use the 'make a hole with a pencil' technique!

I do have a drill and masonry bits!

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"lol i thought they were 'rawl' plugs but said 'raw' plugs as others had and thought maybe i had it wrong..

Thanks everyone for the advice. "

I believe Rawl is the brand but don't quote me. Technically others would be wall plugs but rawl plug has been adopted as a name used regardless of brand.

over a year ago

"My curtain pole fixture has been ripped outta the wall... is there any glue out there that will fix it back into the holes?"

Buy liquid rawl plug, its like plasticine that sets hard, put the plasticine into the hole and the curtain rail into it. It sets after 30 mins

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

""No longer single"

Other than writing one's name in the snow, what, pray tell, are these jobs that women can't do?

Did you ever try pissing over a 5 bar gate?"

That's DIY is it? Remind me never to ask you to assist me with anything practical

So, what are these jobs that only men can do?

over a year ago

"ive seen 'uni bond _xpress repair epoxy putty'.. its a filler and a strong glue..

yay or nay? "

Yay! Anything like that is worth a go .... but DO use the vacuum and hose on the hole(s) first!

It is essential to get rid of the dust and loose particles - otherwise NO adhesive or product will work.

over a year ago

try fixing it back with longer screws

over a year ago

""No longer single"

Women can try all they like but there's some jobs it takes a man for. On the other hand, there are jobs that women do best too. We all need each other. "

Proof that misogyny is still alive and well

over a year ago

"My curtain pole fixture has been ripped outta the wall... is there any glue out there that will fix it back into the holes?

That depends how big of a hole its made. You could try No Nails to put a new rawl plug in and then screw the pole back in"

Take the pole off of the brackets to reduce weight. Get some polyfiller and push it into the wall. Gently push the bracket with scew into the filler. Put extra filler in to make sure its completely secure. Use masking tape or similar to hold the bracket in place for 48 hours until its all set. Then remount the pole.

over a year ago

"lol i thought they were 'rawl' plugs but said 'raw' plugs as others had and thought maybe i had it wrong..

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I believe Rawl is the brand but don't quote me. Technically others would be wall plugs but rawl plug has been adopted as a name used regardless of brand."

Correct, it's become a synonym much like Hoover.

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

""No longer single"

Proof that misogyny is still alive and well "

By *ornyandwellhungMan
over a year ago

belfast

""No longer single"

That's DIY is it? Remind me never to ask you to assist me with anything practical

So, what are these jobs that only men can do?"

There are more men than women in the building trade which gives men a practical advantage. I respect any girl that has good hands for DIY, there are some but they are way outnumbered.

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

you need to make a cup of tea .. scratch your head and tut a bit first

over a year ago

""No longer single"

There are more men than women in the building trade which gives men a practical advantage. I respect any girl that has good hands for DIY, there are some but they are way outnumbered. "

That really doesn't answer the question or back up your earlier stereotypical statement.

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

""No longer single"

There are more men than women in the building trade which gives men a practical advantage. I respect any girl that has good hands for DIY, there are some but they are way outnumbered. "

Yes there are more men in the building trade. Men have an advantage from factors such as being stronger, in general. I don't see how who is or is not employed in the building trade gives anyone an advantage, or how it's relevant to the question.

You claim there are some DIY jobs only men can do. Which jobs?

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"you need to make a cup of tea .. scratch your head and tut a bit first"

over a year ago

""No longer single"

There are more men than women in the building trade which gives men a practical advantage. I respect any girl that has good hands for DIY, there are some but they are way outnumbered.

Yes there are more men in the building trade. Men have an advantage from factors such as being stronger, in general. I don't see how who is or is not employed in the building trade gives anyone an advantage, or how it's relevant to the question.

You claim there are some DIY jobs only men can do. Which jobs?"

he probably meant men could do the jobs more efficiently

over a year ago

I'm good with a hammer

over a year ago

"you need to make a cup of tea .. scratch your head and tut a bit first"

i farted too.. do i get extra points for that? lol

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

""No longer single"

You claim there are some DIY jobs only men can do. Which jobs?

he probably meant men could do the jobs more efficiently "

It isn't what he said and it's still bullshit and a massive generalisation.

Individual people have different aptitude for, knowledge of and interest in DIY. That's not related to gender.

I would bet decent money I am better/more efficient at DIY than some men on here. Others will be far more skilled than I. I'm capable of researching and learning though and as yet there hasn't been a DIY task I've needed a man for. I enjoy the challenge.

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"you need to make a cup of tea .. scratch your head and tut a bit first

i farted too.. do i get extra points for that? lol "

Do you have a tool belt? You definitely get extra points for that.

You also have to make poses with a drill as if it is a gun.

over a year ago

i farted too.. do i get extra points for that? lol "

You'll get double bonus points if yer bum crack is on show!

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

i farted too.. do i get extra points for that? lol

You'll get double bonus points if yer bum crack is on show!"

And if you scratch it whilst contemplating the situation.

over a year ago

ive a high vis jacket... its pink too

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

looks like youve covered all the bases .. take the whole thing down .. and makecas much mess as you can .. find you need something from b and q and tale the rest ofvthe day getting it .. have you got a person drawer . you may find most of what you want in there

By *luezuluMan
over a year ago

Suffolk

"ive seen 'uni bond _xpress repair epoxy putty'.. its a filler and a strong glue..

yay or nay?

"

By *luezuluMan
over a year ago

Suffolk

"Being a joiner by trade, I can confer that the above is the best way. Spot on fella

Thanks although I'd just like to add that I don't personally use the 'make a hole with a pencil' technique!

I do have a drill and masonry bits! "

over a year ago

Forget raw plugs etc total waste of time , clean hole out with vacuum squirt in some kem fix Resin , slot screw thro what ever you wanner fix back to wall and into resin leave till it's gone off and it will never come out again simple

over a year ago

right the hole was cleaned out and filled with that putty stuff,, fittings back in and now ive gotta wait for it to set.

ended up buying a polyfiller product thats specifically for curtain fixtures. if done correctly will hold 20kg

pleaseeee cross your fingers

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

I reckon I'd fix a length of wood to the wall (glue and screws) then fix the curtain rail to the wood.

By *eMontresMan
over a year ago

Halesowen

You never said if the pole was fixed to a wooden batten, which was fixed to the wall, in which case rawl plugs would not be needed, or if it was fixed to the wall directly.

Assuming it's an outside wall and therefore plaster on brickwork, there would almost certainly be rawl plugs in the holes, or the pole would not have stayed up 5 mins.

From what you say, the damage doesn't sound too extensive. I would remove the existing rawl plugs (put a screw part way in until it bites, and then pull it out with pliers, bringing the plug with it). Then just fill the holes (grip fill, no more nails, polyfilla all work), wait for it to go off, re-drill and re-plug. If you put some grip fill or similar on the screw threads too, it should go rock solid.

over a year ago

"You never said if the pole was fixed to a wooden batten, which was fixed to the wall, in which case rawl plugs would not be needed, or if it was fixed to the wall directly.

Assuming it's an outside wall and therefore plaster on brickwork, there would almost certainly be rawl plugs in the holes, or the pole would not have stayed up 5 mins.

From what you say, the damage doesn't sound too extensive. I would remove the existing rawl plugs (put a screw part way in until it bites, and then pull it out with pliers, bringing the plug with it). Then just fill the holes (grip fill, no more nails, polyfilla all work), wait for it to go off, re-drill and re-plug. If you put some grip fill or similar on the screw threads too, it should go rock solid."

too add more info,,

the holes were drilled into an outside wall, was solid concrete and blunted one of my grandad's heavy duty drill bits at the time.

there were infact rawl plugs, they were grey and i didn't initially see them when i quickly assessed the damage.

By *eMontresMan
over a year ago

Halesowen

ah, probably drilled into the concrete lintel above the window - they're a bastard to drill into - which is why a previous poster's suggestion of fixing a wooden batten to the wall first (as you can hopefully locate the drill holes away from the lintel) often works best.

By *i 1 Get 1 FreeCouple (MM)
over a year ago

birmingham

We're both hopeless at DIY didn't think it would be so difficult trying to find someone for a couple of hours to do a few "tidying up" jobs

over a year ago

well problems solved feel quite chuffed actually. even though it was a minor job normally i just panic n get my grandad to sort it

Tell ya what though i was greatful for my ghastly net curtains as they kept privacy. Now the curtains are back up thought id take the nets down n give em a wash..

only dropped one on the floor so only one net curtain is currently being washed. todays not my day.. lol

By *eMontresMan
over a year ago

Halesowen

I read this somewhere and it works great. Don't wash net or a voile in the washing machine - they come out really creased. Instead, put some warm water in a plastic bowl/bucket and dissolve washing powder/brightner. Lower the nets in one at a time, folding them concertina style as you do. Leave for a couple of hours, they'll come out really clean and not creased (rinse if you want).

To dry them if you haven't got a line or it's raining, lay them on a bath towel, then roll the towel up. They'll be dry enough to hang after 20 min or so.

over a year ago

Curtain poles / blinds are a bloody nightmare. Have sworn alot over these diy jobs

over a year ago

"well problems solved feel quite chuffed actually"

Excellent!

over a year ago

well done little Miss DIY.

p.s for all the guys who think females are shit at men jobs

raaasssspppppp !!

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

very impressed . proving yet again your cute ... and sassy x

over a year ago

" well done little Miss DIY.

p.s for all the guys who think females are shit at men jobs

raaasssspppppp !! "

it was pretty simple actually haha

over a year ago

no nails is my saviour - i put a coat hook thingy with 4 hooks on the wall with no nails- left it a couple of days and alsorts hang from it - its good stuff - used it outdoors too to stick house number plate tiles onto the bricks - been up there since i moved in

Post new Message to Thread