FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Do you lave it turned on, or switch it off ?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Your PC ?

For years now, I've always left my PC switched on 24/7. The monitor goes to sleep but the PC remains awake.

Now I've recently got one of those free electricity monitors from N Power and I'v sussed that it's costing about 4p per hour to run my PC, 96p for 24hrs, £6.72 per week or £349.44 per year

Now given that I actually use my PC for (and I'm being generous here) 50% of that time, I'm wasting £3.36 per week or £174.72 per year !!!

Guess what ?

The PC gets switched off when not in use from now on

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *i 1 Get 1 FreeCouple (MM)
over a year ago

birmingham

All get switched off when not in use

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Mines on constantly unless the connection drops, will be switching it of from now on

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

always switched off..... I tend not to leave anything on or on standby if i can humanly help it!....

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

everyone here takes the piss out of me as im always turning everything off, they recon ive got ocd lol

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

Everything gets turned off here as well

We bought some of them remote control switches so i dont even have to shift my lazy arse to do it lol

Steve

By *rPandSlutCouple
over a year ago

wakefield

"Everything gets turned off here as well

We bought some of them remote control switches so i dont even have to shift my lazy arse to do it lol

Steve "

we have those too... cant wait till weve got them throughout the house i always tell folk we have em coz bf likes gadgets not coz we r lazy sods lol

over a year ago

"Your PC ?

For years now, I've always left my PC switched on 24/7. The monitor goes to sleep but the PC remains awake.

Now I've recently got one of those free electricity monitors from N Power and I'v sussed that it's costing about 4p per hour to run my PC, 96p for 24hrs, £6.72 per week or £349.44 per year

Now given that I actually use my PC for (and I'm being generous here) 50% of that time, I'm wasting £3.36 per week or £174.72 per year !!!

Guess what ?

The PC gets switched off when not in use from now on "

Put it into hibernate and it will use tons less. Turning on and off shortens your pc,s lifespan.

By *uton_coupleCouple
over a year ago

luton

"Your PC ?

Guess what ?

The PC gets switched off when not in use from now on

Put it into hibernate and it will use tons less. Turning on and off shortens your pc,s lifespan."

thats a good point

it might not cost anything when its turned off , but everytime you turn it on / or off its clunking around all over the place , virus database kicking in and rescanning etc etc

its like those cars that switch off at the traffic lights , they use less petrol , but 6 new starter motors a year

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Thats a good point, I've just dropped mine into hibernate and the overall electricity consumption has still dropped by 4p p/h, so as you say, that's better than physically powering it down

over a year ago

It goes into hibenate mode, and I shutdown complete so as to reboot from time to time.

Post new Message to Thread