Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Plagiarism?

Jump to newest

By *oe_Steve_NWest OP   Couple
over a year ago

Bolton

I'm reading a Lee Child book at the moment - The Persuader - it's good - all his are but I keep having deja vu as recognise loads of sections and parts of the plot and stuff but \i have never read this book before - any one else ever experienced this? or if you've read the book and read one similiar - what was the similar book? Z

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I read alot of crime fiction and often I will read a chapter and see the same thing as another writer has used before but I think sometimes thats to be expected - you cant change the way a cop will ask a question for example.

Many John Grisham books have the same ideas and part storylines (if that makes sense??) cos many are set in law firms. The last one I read reminded me of the first one I read, same sort of main character and same problems as was in The Firm but this one was The Associate.

Shona

x x x

By *ethot69Couple
over a year ago

Merseyside

Oh all the time xD

The only truely unique crime-ish thriller writer I've found recently is Jeffery Deaver, and even he has clear influences.

Crime is all about procedure so its hard to vary it in fiction whilst maintaining a "realistic" story.

By *oe_Steve_NWest OP   Couple
over a year ago

Bolton

It's true that you'll see influences etc and you're right in that some things will always have to be the same - ie as with questioning etc - but this is really bugging me as the house in which the main action is taking place, the sea and some of the characters are just so familiar I'm sure I've read something virtualy identical - it might just be deja vu! It's a great book though! Z

Post new Message to Thread