Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

swingeing cutbacks

Jump to newest

By *uton_couple OP   Couple
over a year ago

luton

it seems we are going to have to endure swingeing cutbacks ( dont panic its swingeing not swinging )

PM says there are going to be very painfull cutbacks effecting us all PREPARE FOR YEARS OF PAIN

we have been living beyond our means

does anybody think we should cut back on the NINE BILLION POUNDS that is set to be spent on OVERSEAS AID in 2010

one of the countries set to receive part of this aid is CHINA a country that as far as i can see is BOOMING

mayby there comes a point when the big man thats up the bar in the pub shouting THE DRINKS ARE ON ME , has got to realise he is SKINT !

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Mr Cameron started his speech by saying problems were "even worse than we thought" and blamed the last Labour government for the "debt crisis".

so its the blame game road we're going down, not surprised at all, we'll have this for the next 5 years, Labour will be blamed for everything, sure they've screwed it all up, but instead of saying its their fault, cant they just shut up and get it sorted, maybe starting with reducing Aid.

over a year ago

same shit different pic.....

5 years of glorious cuts that will effect the common person more than the high and mighty oh such joy!

see how long it takes for all the whingers that voted for them to start whingin when its costin them more for cut services or any services for that matter! or when the vat hits 20% and on food or when everythin contracted out to save more money!

there no doubt we in a mess and every new government inherits it from the last but gonna be interestin to see where the cuts will be made and how deep and who they gonna affect the most in society.....x

over a year ago

Its got to be better than the MESS Brown made of this country.

over a year ago

"

does anybody think we should cut back on the NINE BILLION POUNDS that is set to be spent on OVERSEAS AID in 2010

"

Yes for sure - I think we should cut back on about £9billion of it.

Charity begins at home

over a year ago

"Mr Cameron started his speech by saying problems were "even worse than we thought" and blamed the last Labour government for the "debt crisis".

so its the blame game road we're going down, not surprised at all, we'll have this for the next 5 years, Labour will be blamed for everything, sure they've screwed it all up, but instead of saying its their fault, cant they just shut up and get it sorted, maybe starting with reducing Aid. "

Its the same before Labour got into power post Thatcher. Tory were to blame for the mess.

Its just a continuous circle.

Anyway I'm done with political talk.

over a year ago

"Its the same before Labour got into power post Thatcher. Tory were to blame for the mess.

Anyway I'm done with political talk. "

not to forget brown blaming blair somewhere in the middle...less politics, more oats!

By *i 1 Get 1 FreeCouple (MM)
over a year ago

birmingham

"instead of saying its their fault, cant they just shut up and get it sorted"

Of course not, once the skin is peeled back and the bone is exposed, they don't want to be blamed for sticking the knife in and turning it.

Can't wait for the 2nd year of this collation, the honeymoon will be well and truly over by then, by the 2nd year the knife will have well and truly punctured , it's at that time the test between both parties will come

over a year ago

"Its the same before Labour got into power post Thatcher. Tory were to blame for the mess.

not to forget brown blaming blair somewhere in the middle...less politics, more oats!"

That is true.

How long before Tory blaming Lib Dems.

over a year ago

"it seems we are going to have to endure swingeing cutbacks ( dont panic its swingeing not swinging )

PM says there are going to be very painfull cutbacks effecting us all PREPARE FOR YEARS OF PAIN

one of the countries set to receive part of this aid is CHINA a country that as far as i can see is BOOMING

mayby there comes a point when the big man thats up the bar in the pub shouting THE DRINKS ARE ON ME , has got to realise he is SKINT !"

i agree with every word you wrote.

over a year ago

not to forget brown blaming blair somewhere in the middle...less politics, more oats!

That is true.

How long before Tory blaming Lib Dems."

...am i the only cynic here to think there were some dirt in the laws incident? he wasn't the likely candidate for the post initially.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

The thing is a lot of Overseas Aid is done not for humanitarian reasons so much as political and commercial reasons, the UK gave China just over £40m in aid last year but you can bet your arse that the real reason behind it would have been a commercial contract for a British company.

Balfour Beatty for example has recently been awarded a £235m contract on one of Chinas new Hydro dams, things are not always what they seem in the world of 'humanitarian' aid.

By *uss PussWoman
over a year ago

east cheshire

Im cutting back on mini rolls

over a year ago

"Im cutting back on mini rolls "

pass them here il look after them i promise!! x

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Im cutting back on mini rolls

pass them here il look after them i promise!! x "

you can have my chocolate hobnob as well

By *uss PussWoman
over a year ago

east cheshire

"Im cutting back on mini rolls

pass them here il look after them i promise!! x "

Ive hid them....................in my mouth LOL

over a year ago

luton

"it seems we are going to have to endure swingeing cutbacks ( dont panic its swingeing not swinging )

mayby there comes a point when the big man thats up the bar in the pub shouting THE DRINKS ARE ON ME , has got to realise he is SKINT !

i agree with every word you wrote."

THE CHEQUE IS IN THE POST

over a year ago

luton

i think it works out about £130 for every man woman and child to fund this overseas aid

so the guy that is going to work to support his wife and 2 young kids is forking out to the tune of about £540 per year

im sure he is delighted that balfour beaty has bagged another lucrative contract , and that many chinese workers will be employed on the contract

i saw them starting work on the 3 gorges dam and the workers were exclusivly chinese

im also sure he is delighted that a few palms were greased here in the UK by balfour beaty and the politicians involved were on a nice earner ensureing the aid went ahead

i can hear all the balfour beaty shareholders shouting SHI SHI

By *aucy3Couple
over a year ago

glasgow

i could be wrong.but dont the banks who were bailed out, have to pay back,the majority of our deficit.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"i think it works out about £130 for every man woman and child to fund this overseas aid

so the guy that is going to work to support his wife and 2 young kids is forking out to the tune of about £540 per year

im sure he is delighted that balfour beaty has bagged another lucrative contract , and that many chinese workers will be employed on the contract

i saw them starting work on the 3 gorges dam and the workers were exclusivly chinese

im also sure he is delighted that a few palms were greased here in the UK by balfour beaty and the politicians involved were on a nice earner ensureing the aid went ahead

i can hear all the balfour beaty shareholders shouting SHI SHI"

The contract is for the casings for hydro generators, made in the UK in Erith in Kent, and for all the cabling for the dam. The Balfour Beatty group are one of the biggest manufacturers of cable in Europe.....and their stuff is made in the UK.......in Kent and Wales.

Balfour also made the cables that make up the roof of one of the South African World Cup stadiums.....made in the UK by British workers, no doubt linked to some aid package for South Africa.

So I should imagine the £40.8m medical loan to China has been dwarfed by the wages earnt by British workers making these casings and cables for the Chinese dam.

The same goes for Nigeria, the British government pledges £122m in aid for Nigeria in 2009, probably dwarfed by the money earnt by engineering firms in Aberdeen who make the drill heads for Oil rigs in the Niger Delta.

I am not saying this is the case for every bit of the £9bill aid that the UK has pledged this year by any means, but aid has always historically been linked to a foot in the door for British companies.

The UK still to this day gives generously to medical and educational projects in India, even though India has the fastest growing economy in the world....but the amount that British firms are benefitting from tooling up factories in India again dwarfs these aid figures.

Not always as easy as it first looks.

over a year ago

was always under the impression charity begins at home! bollocks to overseas aid. look after britain, and maybe we won't need so many cutbacks!

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Britain has been dishing out overseas aid since the end of the second world war, like most industrialised nations did to help rebuild much of europe.

Britain did this despite many of our own towns and cities being all but demolished by bombings and our finances and debt to North America being enormous.

The reason Britain did this in 1945 is the same reason that Britain does it today, to remain a major player in world finance and industry.

Spain gives little aid compared to Britain, Spain also gets far less orders from within the international community for goods, engineering and services in return.

over a year ago

"i think it works out about £130 for every man woman and child to fund this overseas aid

The contract is for the casings for hydro generators, made in the UK in Erith in Kent, and for all the cabling for the dam. The Balfour Beatty group are one of the biggest manufacturers of cable in Europe.....and their stuff is made in the UK.......in Kent and Wales.

Balfour also made the cables that make up the roof of one of the South African World Cup stadiums.....made in the UK by British workers, no doubt linked to some aid package for South Africa.

So I should imagine the £40.8m medical loan to China has been dwarfed by the wages earnt by British workers making these casings and cables for the Chinese dam.

The same goes for Nigeria, the British government pledges £122m in aid for Nigeria in 2009, probably dwarfed by the money earnt by engineering firms in Aberdeen who make the drill heads for Oil rigs in the Niger Delta.

I am not saying this is the case for every bit of the £9bill aid that the UK has pledged this year by any means, but aid has always historically been linked to a foot in the door for British companies.

The UK still to this day gives generously to medical and educational projects in India, even though India has the fastest growing economy in the world....but the amount that British firms are benefitting from tooling up factories in India again dwarfs these aid figures.

"

None so blind as those that can not see.

You're wasting your time Jane, few will be able to read past the words "overseas aid" I'm afraid.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"

None so blind as those that can not see.

You're wasting your time Jane, few will be able to read past the words "overseas aid" I'm afraid."

Know what you mean

Incidentally India has gone from a Net recipient of aid to a net distributor of aid over the last couple of years, after 60 years of benefiting from overseas aid from the international community they are now in a position where their own overseas aid programme far outweighs the aid they have coming in.

One thing is for sure, British industry will benefit greatly from all the years of help the British governments gave India, these things are rarely taken for granted or easily forgotten.

Now the Indian economy is growing like mad British companies will prosper with exports.

By *prite128Woman
over a year ago

maidstone

my office mate received an email at 4.45 this afternoon announcing the closure of the project he an 25 other staff work upon as from Dec 31st. This is a project designed to work with some of the most vulnerable young people in our communities, supporting them to get back into gainful training, education or employment.

gutting news as the very essence of this project ( and its nationwide ) was to support those most in need. It was successful in achieving positive outcomes for young people and reducing the benefit traps for them. ..yet thats where we are seeing the first cuts in our service.

I wish I could say I was suprised but I'm not

over a year ago

"my office mate received an email at 4.45 this afternoon announcing the closure of the project he an 25 other staff work upon as from Dec 31st. This is a project designed to work with some of the most vulnerable young people in our communities, supporting them to get back into gainful training, education or employment.

gutting news as the very essence of this project ( and its nationwide ) was to support those most in need. It was successful in achieving positive outcomes for young people and reducing the benefit traps for them. ..yet thats where we are seeing the first cuts in our service.

I wish I could say I was suprised but I'm not "

yup and expect a lot more because the future jobs project/fund is being slashed. as with the child trust fund i never qualified for this kiddo was born late but i seen it bearing fruit in 20 yrs time when it comes time for firther education etc and how it will be funded.

i dont know much about world economics as im more concerned with things closer to home and have a loathing for economics but i see this much overseas aid is needed and in ten years when we right down the pan we will be the ones needing aid for this country! overseas contracts are worth more millions than i can think of and the old you get back what you give may become more relevant!

as for problems at home, ie homeless,jobs etc its goin to get a lot worse with the cuts x

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

It will get a lot worse before it gets any better I am afraid, on the very day that the new Government announced that unemployment would rise significantly in the coming months they also announced a cut in the budget of the Department of Work and Pensions.

So more people without a job and less people to help them get a job....hmmmm.

over a year ago

"It will get a lot worse before it gets any better I am afraid, on the very day that the new Government announced that unemployment would rise significantly in the coming months they also announced a cut in the budget of the Department of Work and Pensions.

So more people without a job and less people to help them get a job....hmmmm."

they want 5 million off benefits and we have 2.51 million unemployed just now..... fuckin miracle required maybe thats why all the flouncing to the churches was gettin done!!! x

By *prite128Woman
over a year ago

maidstone

"It will get a lot worse before it gets any better I am afraid, on the very day that the new Government announced that unemployment would rise significantly in the coming months they also announced a cut in the budget of the Department of Work and Pensions.

So more people without a job and less people to help them get a job....hmmmm."

yep exactly ...i bet our targets for kids in employment etc dont go down at the same rate the opportunities areremoved either. Then we'll not meet them and be on the line for closure too

over a year ago

luton

"

people on here do realise the space shuttle is not a tube filled with gunpowder and things do have a little complexity to them

of course i agree with you that overseas aid doesnt just mean sending rice to ethiopia

i just think the shareholders from balfour should put there hands in there own pockets and fund there own dirty deals

instead of using taxpayers money squeezed out of the pockets of roadsweepers , postmen etc

who knows who these shareholders are ? they may well be from all over the globe

they should try having a word with prince andrew , isnt that why we fly him round the world 3 times a week

all they need do is bung fergie half a million quid and they will get an introduction

as it is at the moment its just like taking £2 out of a tramps pocket to help richard branson get more routes in the usa

so as i say , having agreed with you entirely why dont the government call it what it is BRIBE MONEY

instead of calling it overseas aid , perhaps they dont call it that because then they would not get there lobbying fees

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

people on here do realise the space shuttle is not a tube filled with gunpowder and things do have a little complexity to them

of course i agree with you that overseas aid doesnt just mean sending rice to ethiopia

i just think the shareholders from balfour should put there hands in there own pockets and fund there own dirty deals

instead of using taxpayers money squeezed out of the pockets of roadsweepers , postmen etc

they should try having a word with prince andrew , isnt that why we fly him round the world 3 times a week

all they need do is bung fergie half a million quid and they will get an introduction

as it is at the moment its just like taking £2 out of a tramps pocket to help richard branson get more routes in the usa

so as i say , having agreed with you entirely why dont the government call it what it is BRIBE MONEY

instead of calling it overseas aid , perhaps they dont call it that because then they would not get there lobbying fees "

You are bitter aren't you?

What part about Balfour Beatty employing British workers in British factories making cables for export don't you get?

Or do you think that without export orders these British workers are sent home on full pay when the order books are empty?

I don't want to lecture you on the rudimentries of exporting goods abroad but it often involves government departments and even on occasion members of the Royal family arse licking around foreign companies and governments.

over a year ago

Well ta be truthful id stop 90% of public spending till the debts sorted out

Just like most people have had to stop spending till their debts sorted out

Harsh yes but even a country should not live beyond its means

Just drive down the m6 and see all the useless signs and gantries that have cost us millions and for what??

They even have ta put signs by the gantries that don't work saying this sign is not in use

Bureaucracy gone fookin mad

What next a sign saying a new sign will be put here within three weeks

Public spending is totally out of control

Its bloody crazy to think that it could possibly carry on xx

over a year ago

luton

instead of calling it overseas aid , perhaps they dont call it that because then they would not get there lobbying fees

You are bitter aren't you?

What part about Balfour Beatty employing British workers in British factories making cables for export don't you get?

Or do you think that without export orders these British workers are sent home on full pay when the order books are empty?

I don't want to lecture you on the rudimentries of exporting goods abroad but it often involves government departments and even on occasion members of the Royal family arse licking around foreign companies and governments.

"

if a company needs to give bribes , back handers , etc to get export orders or obtain building contacts abroad they should fund it by raising the cash from the shareholders

they should also call it a slush fund

they should not call it overseas aid , and give the impression it is all holyier than thou , and all above board and correct

it is not , it is to put it simply a dirty deal

it is rife in coruption and fergie just goes to prove it

as regards my demenure i am extreemly stoic

but the thought that the hangers on to the royal family expect to gain 500000 pounds for a 2 minute conversation asking them to phone so and so , does leave a bitter taste in my mouth

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

ahem!.....companies do not give overseas aid, governments do.

Governments act in the best interests of British companies in general when they send ministers on Trade missions.

Anyway how did you twist the nations budget to include Sarah Ferguson in the argument?

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

Can i just say as someone who has worked for many years for companies in Nigeria ect we look to recover less than 2% of our profits from our construction projects in these places and we only take these jobs on to keep our hand in so to speak in very dodgy places as we feel that 1 day these places will become goldmines.

Steve

Post new Message to Thread