Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Jury Service

Jump to newest

By *UNCHBOX OP   Man
over a year ago

folkestone

After the conclusion of the Phone Hacking trial, it was mentioned in the press that it lasted over 100 days. Do they choose people who are retired for extra long trials or do people have to take that long off work?.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

No...

Its purely a matter of chance, if you are selected for jury service it is just a matter of chance what case or cases you will involved in.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I sat on the jury of a murder trial, that lasted 12 days .....

There was a very good mix of people from 28 to 65ish, men and women, working and not.

By *xpresMan
over a year ago

Elland

Ipod on play on phone... GUILTY!! Haha

over a year ago

Id love to do jury service!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"After the conclusion of the Phone Hacking trial, it was mentioned in the press that it lasted over 100 days. Do they choose people who are retired for extra long trials or do people have to take that long off work?. "

they have to take that long off work, they get expenses etc but I don't think it matches your wages.

over a year ago

i did it. was just getting interesting when they pled guilty

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

It is random who is selected to attend, but there is some vetting by lawyers at the start. Id prefer it to be 100% random, apart from conflicts of interest. An extra long trial would be a major issue for many, though a break from work.

over a year ago

Do you get paid?

just wondering how people manage if they have to take weeks off work

over a year ago

"Do you get paid?

just wondering how people manage if they have to take weeks off work "

You don't get paid. You get a small amount to cover travel and lunch. Your employer is expected to pay your salary for the duration. If your self employed you'll money.

By *aro7Man
over a year ago

wickford

I did jury service,,,,,,,, nominal pay, also I had a few pricks on the jury who wanted to know the meanings and abbreviations of some content which slowed the case, when the chap was clearly guilty, ended up arguing with these tossers,,,,,,,,when eventually found him guilty,,,,,,,,,his brief asked for eleven other offences to be taken into account,,,,,,,,fucking half witts,,,,,,,and coulson was one of my mates when we were kids,,,,,,,,,I have laughed alot,,,,,

over a year ago

i would love love love to do this

over a year ago

"i would love love love to do this"

it can actually be pretty boring. lots of hanging around and questioning going round in circles. that was my experience anyway

over a year ago

"Do you get paid?

You don't get paid. You get a small amount to cover travel and lunch. Your employer is expected to pay your salary for the duration. If your self employed you'll money. "

Lose money

over a year ago

Bored the life outta me, spent two weeks sat around the canteen. Not a single trial so sit on, lots of cases but they we're bargained out of court.

Only upside was, being quite a while ago......they covered travel expenses and loss of earnings back then. Two weeks pay from the court and still got paid from work too. Happy days.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Do you get paid?

You don't get paid. You get a small amount to cover travel and lunch. Your employer is expected to pay your salary for the duration. If your self employed you'll money. "

if it is expected to be a long trial they will take that into consideration and you may be excused if you are self employed or have another excuse

being an alernate must be the most frustrating thing... as you have to sit in on the trial, but you dont get to be part of the final decision....

over a year ago

You have to take that long of work. You are slightly compensated for it and if they put you in a hotel, it's paid for, but yes you have to take the time off. Like I day you are compensated for the time off.

You can only get away with jury service when chosen by special reasons.

I have never done it white a few family members have though

over a year ago

"i would love love love to do this"

Me too.

over a year ago

"I did jury service,,,,,,,, nominal pay, also I had a few pricks on the jury who wanted to know the meanings and abbreviations of some content which slowed the case, when the chap was clearly guilty, ended up arguing with these tossers,,,,,,,,when eventually found him guilty,,,,,,,,,his brief asked for eleven other offences to be taken into account,,,,,,,,fucking half witts,,,,,,,and coulson was one of my mates when we were kids,,,,,,,,,I have laughed alot,,,,, "

I think id rather have tossers and pricks on my jury that question things they don't understand

Ive done it,it was boring and seemed to be nothing more than theatricals between prosecution and defence

over a year ago

I got called up when I was 20. I got out of it though as I had a new baby and was breastfeeding

By *adyGardenWoman
over a year ago

LONDON (se)

No as if you are self employed you don't have to do itif doing it means you can not pay your mortgage/bills.

I was called up once but I didn't do it as I had a baby.

By *UNCHBOX OP   Man
over a year ago

folkestone

I do remember a complex fraud case that was in the papers about 10 years ago that lasted 2 years. I bet their employers were pissed off especially if it was a smallish company.

over a year ago

Just is compulsory, however you may aske to be excused for exceptional reasons, however they state you will have to do.e. back and do it in the future,

On their issue of wages, in the past you used to veg full pay an expenses.

These day you only get expenses an there are set expenses depending on bow long you are on jury service. If when you report and you are not picked to to actually team part on a case

, You can be sent home for the day but must report every day as normal

over a year ago

1st 10 days under 4 hrs £32-46

1st 10 days over 4 hrs £64-95

Day 11- 200 under 4 hrs £64-95

Over 4 hrs £129-91

201days under 4 hrs £129-91

Over 4 hrs £228-06

Per day that is plus travel an meals ( subsided)

Post new Message to Thread