Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

should I buy it?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Just after some car advice.

I recently sold my car to my son as he passed his test. I love to walk so didnt think it would bother me being carless.

The only time I miss it it when I get the weekly shop (not enough arms)

Been offered a P reg polo, 39, 000 genuine miles (have seen all mot certs), has 11 months M.O.T. could be mine for £250.

Should I or not?

Thanks

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Yes

over a year ago

"Yes"

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

How much is a taxi back from the supermarket?

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Run the number plate through a car search thing first if able

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

Have you driven it?

I couldn't decide on a car without driving it. I just know when I've found the right one.

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

Alternatively, for a few quid, get the groceries delivered.

I also save money when I do this because I don't buy junk I see as I wander round the supermarket.

By *olwaySonarMan
over a year ago

Carlisle

Go for it, 11 months motoring for £250 is cheap, it might fly through it's next MOT too which will be even better

over a year ago

Yes I have had a drive. Will take some getting used to not having power steering but it feels ok. X

over a year ago

"Alternatively, for a few quid, get the groceries delivered.

I also save money when I do this because I don't buy junk I see as I wander round the supermarket. "

That sounds like a plan. I always come home with stuff I dont need and usually forget the things I do. Xx

over a year ago

"Run the number plate through a car search thing first if able"

How do I do that?

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

"Yes I have had a drive. Will take some getting used to not having power steering but it feels ok. X"

Power Steering will help with parking so I wouldnt worry about it

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

"Run the number plate through a car search thing first if able

How do I do that? "

Im not sure but Im sure there are free ones, type it into google and see what happens

over a year ago

"How much is a taxi back from the supermarket? "

Not sure, never taken a taxi. Walked back last time, thats why im thinking about this car. I would imagine about £3.50 ish. X

over a year ago

Honestly? No point having a car if you don't need one.

over a year ago

How do I do that?

Im not sure but Im sure there are free ones, type it into google and see what happens"

Thanks.

over a year ago

"Honestly? No point having a car if you don't need one. "

Thanks.

over a year ago

On top of the 250, you have tax and insurance to pay, probably better off getting shopping delivered or taking a cab home, then get a hire car a couple of times a year when you want a car.

Alternatively get a mobility scooter and switch between 4mph on the road to annoy car drivers and 8mph on the pavement to terrorise pedestrians

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

It's an old car 1997/98 but vw are good quality cars on the whole all be it a little expensive for parts if an when things go wrong but for £250 it's a throw away so yes I'd buy it an if you decide afterwards you don't really need it I think you could even make a small profit off it

over a year ago

"On top of the 250, you have tax and insurance to pay, probably better off getting shopping delivered or taking a cab home, then get a hire car a couple of times a year when you want a car.

Alternatively get a mobility scooter and switch between 4mph on the road to annoy car drivers and 8mph on the pavement to terrorise pedestrians

"

Ha ha. Like the sound of the hire car. Not sure about mobility scooter. Not quite as old as madge yet. Thanks for advice. X

over a year ago

"It's an old car 1997/98 but vw are good quality cars on the whole all be it a little expensive for parts if an when things go wrong but for £250 it's a throw away so yes I'd buy it an if you decide afterwards you don't really need it I think you could even make a small profit off it "

Cheers

over a year ago

"It's an old car 1997/98 but vw are good quality cars on the whole all be it a little expensive for parts if an when things go wrong but for £250 it's a throw away so yes I'd buy it an if you decide afterwards you don't really need it I think you could even make a small profit off it "

This ^^

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

How do I do that? "

HPI is one that the industry use to verify mileage and history etc..

also have someone competent give it a good once over, get it on a ramp and see how it is..

that's a low mileage for a P reg, polo's are reliable though so it cold be pukka but when its your life and others best to get it checked out..

over a year ago

Buy it, if it's a dog you will get your money back in the scrapyard.

You can't beat bangernomics

over a year ago

"

Ha ha. Like the sound of the hire car. Not sure about mobility scooter. Not quite as old as madge yet. Thanks for advice. X"

Who said you had to be old, borrowed my mother in law's scooter to carry a generator to her neighbours half a mile away, it was great fun!

over a year ago

That's cheap as they come I'd say yes

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"Buy it, if it's a dog you will get your money back in the scrapyard.

You can't beat bangernomics"

The price of scraps gone right back down now but yes your right on the nail with bangernomic you can't beat it

over a year ago

You could probably sell it just before end of the mot and get most of your money back too

over a year ago

"

Ha ha. Like the sound of the hire car. Not sure about mobility scooter. Not quite as old as madge yet. Thanks for advice. X

Who said you had to be old, borrowed my mother in law's scooter to carry a generator to her neighbours half a mile away, it was great fun! "

Ha ha. Just when I read your reply I thought of Benidorm.

over a year ago

"You could probably sell it just before end of the mot and get most of your money back too"

I like this idea it's a good run around and VWs are sturdy and hard

If it works go for it

over a year ago

Thanks for all your advice everyone. Will give it some thought. I have a neighbour who is a mechanic, he is going to give it the once over. X

By *istressZoeTV/TS
over a year ago

cheshire

I'd say yes x

Tax and insurance will be a factor and could easily double your £250 outlay x

But well done for being environmentally friendly and walking x

I bet you have got killer legs now xxxx

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

It's a 1996 reg.

It's eighteen years old.

If you have the money for twelve months tax and insurance and the price of the car , the petrol and say one or two repairs then why not .....

So ....that's approx £2,500 to have the shopping delivered. I'm guessing you won't be shooting up and down the motorway in it ...... if you do add on some breakdown cover and extra petrol. That'll be just over £3,000 all told ..... Oh shit ... add on parking fees too .... ermmm

over a year ago

If you're only buying it to get your shopping home I will say no. Once you have it you will stop walking everywhere and you will be paying out more in petrol

over a year ago

"I'd say yes x

Tax and insurance will be a factor and could easily double your £250 outlay x

But well done for being environmentally friendly and walking x

I bet you have got killer legs now xxxx"

Have checked out insurance. .best price £112 fully comp, not sure about tax. Will still be walking loads. X

over a year ago

I'd say no purely in the basis that I want those stunning pins to remain in tip top condition. Keep in walking.

over a year ago

*on

over a year ago

Thanks. Oh I will keep walking. Just dont fancy the idea of arms like an orangutan. X

By *ScotsmanMan
over a year ago

ayrshire

I had a bluey p peg polo . I bought it for 300and then discovered it was held together with rust and filler underneath the paint so I put a for sale sign up on window and someone came and offered me 600 so i took it . . But then was sent a series of lawyers letters threatening to take me to court.i ignored and nothing happened but if its the same polo i would pass if i were you

over a year ago

"I had a bluey p peg polo . I bought it for 300and then discovered it was held together with rust and filler underneath the paint so I put a for sale sign up on window and someone came and offered me 600 so i took it . . But then was sent a series of lawyers letters threatening to take me to court.i ignored and nothing happened but if its the same polo i would pass if i were you "

Oh shoot...not good.

I believe this one has 3 pervious owners (including my friend who is selling it) only used for work and back. I hope my neighbour, the mechanic would know if its dodgy. X

over a year ago

"I had a bluey p peg polo . I bought it for 300and then discovered it was held together with rust and filler underneath the paint "

On the other hand a friend of ours has a 23 year old Polo which is on it's third time round the clock, damned thing won't break down! So low mileage and only 3 owners it could be a good car

over a year ago

For £250 you'd be crazy not to. VED (what people refer to as raid tax) will be cheap because it's not subject to the emissions rate, insurance, as you've already found, is cheap, so all you need do is add fuel, check the tyres, oil and water each week and it's golden. If you decide you don't need/want it after a couple of months then you could quite easily get your money back.

over a year ago

"For £250 you'd be crazy not to. VED (what people refer to as raid tax) will be cheap because it's not subject to the emissions rate, insurance, as you've already found, is cheap, so all you need do is add fuel, check the tyres, oil and water each week and it's golden. If you decide you don't need/want it after a couple of months then you could quite easily get your money back."

Raid tax?!...lol

That should have said 'road tax'.

over a year ago

"For £250 you'd be crazy not to. VED (what people refer to as raid tax) will be cheap because it's not subject to the emissions rate, insurance, as you've already found, is cheap, so all you need do is add fuel, check the tyres, oil and water each week and it's golden. If you decide you don't need/want it after a couple of months then you could quite easily get your money back."

Its not cheap road tax even if its pre 2001 rates are £145 under 1549cc and £230 over.

By *ScotsmanMan
over a year ago

ayrshire

My third eye he say no

that is all

over a year ago

"Just after some car advice.

I recently sold my car to my son as he passed his test. I love to walk so didnt think it would bother me being carless.

Been offered a P reg polo, 39, 000 genuine miles (have seen all mot certs), has 11 months M.O.T. could be mine for £250.

Should I or not?

Thanks

"

£250 isn't expensive but you need to tax insure and fuel it and if you don't use a lot a weekly taxi or 3 can still be cheaper work it out on that but the car isn't over priced.

over a year ago

Sorry if this has already been asked, but seeing that you've helped your son to get 'on the road' - could he not take you shopping?

And then get to spend some value time with his mum.

over a year ago

"Sorry if this has already been asked, but seeing that you've helped your son to get 'on the road' - could he not take you shopping?

And then get to spend some value time with his mum. "

He could but then my weekly shopping bill would rise. X

over a year ago

"Just after some car advice.

Should I or not?

Thanks

£250 isn't expensive but you need to tax insure and fuel it and if you don't use a lot a weekly taxi or 3 can still be cheaper work it out on that but the car isn't over priced.

"

Will have to look at total cost thanks.

over a year ago

"For £250 you'd be crazy not to. VED (what people refer to as raid tax) will be cheap because it's not subject to the emissions rate, insurance, as you've already found, is cheap, so all you need do is add fuel, check the tyres, oil and water each week and it's golden. If you decide you don't need/want it after a couple of months then you could quite easily get your money back.

Its not cheap road tax even if its pre 2001 rates are £145 under 1549cc and £230 over."

Which is half what I pay for mine, so cheap by comparison....

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I know nothing about cars, but if your insurance is not expired, would it transfer cover to this car? If so, it would be fairly low risk and cost. To sell it on would give you the money back, if it is a good bargain.

Post new Message to Thread