Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Driverless cars

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27599278

Opinions?

My first thought was what use are they to families though I guess the kids could be in separate vehicles, as presumably there will be no need for a driving license.

BUT if there is an accident who is at fault?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

well.... I'd assume that google are driving, so they'll need to pass a driving test and carry the appropriate insurance

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

They are inevitable.

But does it mean I can get my car to to take me to the pub to get shit faced?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I read that it will cripple law enforcement in the US due to loss of revenue ($6.2 billion per year which equates to $300k per police officer).

over a year ago

"I read that it will cripple law enforcement in the US due to loss of revenue ($6.2 billion per year which equates to $300k per police officer).

"

But that is only true if they become the only car on the road, My guess is they will first come in as a form of park and ride replacing the buses for in city use, leaving the police revenue alone, that way ownership and maintenance could get paid for per mile (driver-less taxi).

Would be a good way of utilising electric vehicles as the range would be limited and auto charge points easy to manage.

over a year ago

"well.... I'd assume that google are driving, so they'll need to pass a driving test and carry the appropriate insurance "

What happens about bird shit on the camera lens? is Google still responsible or the owner / operator for not cleaning it?

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I was wondering about these last night. I have become used to the car beep beep beeping on rear sensors but it is so cautious that I often ignore it.

Would I be able to over-ride the car?

over a year ago

"Would I be able to over-ride the car?"

Not this one, there are no controls apart from start & stop, plus presumably a sat nav.

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

My paranoid alter ego doesn't like it.

What if the government or the Elders of the Universe decide they want a population cull and set a load of them to crash, blaming terrorists/hackers/computer failure, ect?

What if they refuse to go through McDonald's drive-throughs? How am I supposed to get my milkshake fix, eh?

- Amy. x

over a year ago

"What if they refuse to go through McDonald's drive-throughs? How am I supposed to get my milkshake fix, eh?

- Amy. x"

Now that opens a whole new area for debate... what if like the search engine it will take you where you want to go only AFTER stopping at the top three "sponsored destinations" first

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

...Oh my fucking god... Like going on an organised excursion on holiday...

"I wanna go see some mountains and shit" - Sure! But first, we're going to take you to see how carpets are made and then we're going to stop off at a leather shop, and finally, a gold factory. All of which will waste your time and try and harass you into buying things you don't want.

Hmm, I wonder what would be used as England's time-share crap?

- Amy. x

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"What if they refuse to go through McDonald's drive-throughs? How am I supposed to get my milkshake fix, eh?

- Amy. x

Now that opens a whole new area for debate... what if like the search engine it will take you where you want to go only AFTER stopping at the top three "sponsored destinations" first "

So evil but probably what will happen. It soon turns into every dystopian story I have ever read.

We won't get out as they will just drive into the food dispensing places. The screens will just change for work etc.

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

I wonder if you'd also be forced to listen to political party sponsor messages...

over a year ago

"http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27599278

Opinions?

My first thought was what use are they to families though I guess the kids could be in separate vehicles, as presumably there will be no need for a driving license.

BUT if there is an accident who is at fault?"

Google have been running a driverless car in the US for a couple of years, having done in excess of 150000 miles it has been involved in one accident, it was rear ended by another car being driven by a human.

Can't say I like the idea of no controls whatsoever, I'd prefer to be able to drive when I feel like it.

over a year ago

Avoid. They'd be hell on wheels.

Just think of the shit awful and irrelevant ads you'd have to watch during your journey, with surround sound no less.

over a year ago

On the other hand, does that mean we get to record, from high cameras, the views through everyone's windows and gardens, keeping on file the tasty bits too?

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 28/05/14 16:27:11]

over a year ago

"Google have been running a driverless car in the US for a couple of years, having done in excess of 150000 miles it has been involved in one accident, it was rear ended by another car being driven by a human."

Many companies have test cars out on the roads clocking up lots of auto-driven miles, but it's one thing to do night miles on the M25 circuit and another to get down Oxford street in the daytime, or soho as the clubs kick out.

I choose to ride motorcycles, so comfort efficiency and practicality are not high on my desirable list, but thinking about it add a shower and coffee machine, I could find a use for an autodrive car.

over a year ago

They will do me on a Friday night lol.

Even better for getting swingers to mine ha ha

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Dont think i will be getting in a car without a driver anytime soon

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

it would make overnight travel brilliant.. it would be like a hotel on wheels....

what would happen to dogging though.... I'd like to see ya trying to program that into the sat nav!!!!

over a year ago

Unless their use was restricted to separate roads from normal traffic, they are a fook'in stupid idea....

Post new Message to Thread