Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Calais Migrant Camps..

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I have real mixed feeling watching the BBC News channel report that the French Police have now started clearing away the makeshift/illegal camps that house migrants who are attempting to travel to the UK....

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple
over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

and about time too , everyone knows the french love it every time one of them makes it here to the UK,

as there off their hands and no longer their problem

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

It reminds me of a scene from the movie " Children of Men"

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Its nowt to do with them trying to help uk its internal politics caused by far right getying few votes.

here we have ukip who in my opinion are dangerous and with luck nearer election time folk will actually open eyes and see they got nowt else bar bash the immigrants.

i am in total agreement re stricter control of immigration but we have to be aware that using the far right logic and assuming other countries do same then folk living abroad currently who are in effect immigrants in another country will also be persecuted and additionally folk will find it harder to go live abroad.

over a year ago

Just watched it, it's not unusual as soon as a camp gets to a certain number the French move them on, it probably also depends on who lives near by, how many complaints etc.

The camps will always appear in Calais as it's the first time since Greece or Italy that these people will have come across any border controls.

Cut short on what they are actually going to do, being sure the people are out is a good thing if they are to bulldoze it as the announcer said, but there seemed to be a lot of personal possessions left behind for a group of people who probably don't have that much in the first place.

over a year ago

"and about time too , everyone knows the french love it every time one of them makes it here to the UK,

as there off their hands and no longer their problem "

over a year ago

I travelled from one mainland EU country to another by train recently and was surprised that there were no border checks at start, on route or on arrival.

Now bearing in mind that 1 of these countries has land borders with non EU countries, I would have thought that some sort of border control would have been carried out.

I would say we need to look to the east and the south of the EU to restrict illegal migration.

If non EU migrants are getting as far as Calais, the community has 'failed' in it's joint responsibility not just one country.

In the UK we have the luxury of being an island. Many in the EU do not.

So the question is :

Would you pay more in taxes to help other EU states build, bolster and effectively manage their border controls ?

The net (theoretical) result being that less illegal migrants would enter the UK ?

Or is it not just illegal migrants you seek to exclude from the UK or those from other EU member states as well ?

That is a general question aimed at no one in particular ?

There just seems to be a lot of rhetoric being thrown about regarding migration yet no parity is made between legal and illegal migrants. They are lumped together under the term 'immigrant' which is being banded about so negatively now that it is becoming a (negative) label as opposed to a simple status.

over a year ago

"I travelled from one mainland EU country to another by train recently and was surprised that there were no border checks at start, on route or on arrival.

"

the EU has had the Schengen Agreement since 1995, which is open borders, the only countries that opted out of the agreement are UK and Eire. I travel on a motorcycle between 10 & 15,000 miles each year around Europe, and only use my passport for Hotel's and official camp-sites, those registers are checked by the police in many countries (but not always) it often comes as a shock when I stray into Russia or non EU Baltic states as my passport is seldom close to hand by the time I get there. Even then the border controls are tighter getting back into the UK at the end of the holiday usually for a 24 hour visa into a non EU country it's 12Euro and a paperwork check but I seem to be the only one in the queue.

over a year ago

Isn't it the case that genuine, and often highly desperate, refugees MUST seek refuge in the first safe country they come to?

You don't need to be an expert on geography to know that isn't Calais nor is it likely to be France either.

over a year ago

"

Isn't it the case that genuine, and often highly desperate, refugees MUST seek refuge in the first safe country they come to?

You don't need to be an expert on geography to know that isn't Calais nor is it likely to be France either."

Thanks to American TV marketing industry they speak English as second language, so cant read the signs in Greek, Italian , or Spanish

Post new Message to Thread