Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

asked to pay my own employers national insurance

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Hi all

I'm starting a contract role soon and have been told that I am expected to pay my employers NICS to help keep the agencies costs down.

Anyone know if I can claim this back from HMRC at all?

cheers

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Hi all

I'm starting a contract role soon and have been told that I am expected to pay my employers NICS to help keep the agencies costs down.

cheers

"

Not at all.

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

How much of your hourly rate are they taking as their cut?

They usually do very well since once they've put you forward, and you've done all the work to get the job, they have to do very little.

It sounds like they are taking the piss.

over a year ago

if you are self employed then you have to pay your own and it cant be claimed back as such, if you are employed then you will have a contribution stopped to cover your ni, not your employers

over a year ago

Never heard of this before.

Strange.

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

This is a new one! I would have a word with the HMRC enquiry line. They can assist you. Also speak to your local Job Centre for advice.

over a year ago

They cant do that they get tax relief both u and ur emplyer have to pay national insurance conts if u earn above a certain level

speak to hmrc they cud be doing stuff illegally

over a year ago

"They cant do that they get tax relief both u and ur emplyer have to pay national insurance conts if u earn above a certain level

speak to hmrc they cud be doing stuff illegally"

They aren't.

If you are self employed then you pay employers NIC as well.

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

It sounds from the OPs post as though the agency are acting as employer though.

I know some do because of ir35 stuff.

Otherwise it would be normal for him to pay his own employers NI and would be nothing to do with keeping agency costs down?

over a year ago

It's quite common for the agency to refer you to an umbrella company, to save the agencies costs. In this instance you pay Employers NIC.

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

"It's quite common for the agency to refer you to an umbrella company, to save the agencies costs. In this instance you pay Employers NIC."

Ah, yes, that would make sense.

It's 9 years since I last worked as a contractor so my memory is fuzzy. That and my accountant did all the money stuff!

By *an_WoodMan
over a year ago

Stafford

At least not moaning about IR35 surely the most boring and self indulgent conservation you can have at work

By *oandjohnCouple
over a year ago

South Wales, will travel to Hereford, Worcestershire and Shropshire

Strange to me::

Self-employed= you pay your own NI at self-employed rates... There is no employers NI contribution because there is no employer..

Self-employed working on a contract.. As above. No employers NI due as above.

Employed= you have your tax and your NI contribution taken at source and the employer has to pay/ is liable for employers NI on your wages.

If you are being asked to not only to pay the tax, your NI contribution... And then have to pay the employers NI as well. There is something very wrong. You are not liable for employers NI. You will in fact be paying far to much tax .

I think that there is something very wrong if you are employed and paying employers NI..

I would get clarification in writing (email for speed) as to 1) what you are being asked to pay Tax/NI/ENI. 2) what your employed status is while working for them. You can then check with the tax office as to what the score is.

If you post here I could comment further

over a year ago

I've had the same thing when working for an agency. I also had to pay the payroll company to sort and pay my wages at something like 15 pounds a week. I was a bit miffed at the time so I looked into this company and found that at a tribunal they were called crooks by the Judge...Can't for the life of me remember their name though.

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

Christ!

Cheeky fuckers.

I'm self-employed - you want me, I bill you +vat and you pay it or I don't work for you.

over a year ago

"Christ!

Cheeky fuckers.

I'm self-employed - you want me, I bill you +vat and you pay it or I don't work for you. "

Exactly and how can anyone be classed as self employed unless they register with the Tax office? Just another case of the rich getting richer and ripping the working class off. Parasites the lot of them!!

over a year ago

This is not unusual, you will be your own company, first find out who is paying you, who you invoice to get that payment then talk to HMRC enquiry line, finally find an accountant and talk through your options. When I did it I set up a company of my own employed my wife as secretary and book keeper and did quite well out of it, while colleagues working through the same agency got into a complete mess and missed out on lots of tax advantages

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

"Hi all

cheers

"

I'd phone citizens advice bureau or visit your local branch in person and ask what their opinion is on it.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"This is not unusual, you will be your own company, first find out who is paying you, who you invoice to get that payment then talk to HMRC enquiry line, finally find an accountant and talk through your options. When I did it I set up a company of my own employed my wife as secretary and book keeper and did quite well out of it, while colleagues working through the same agency got into a complete mess and missed out on lots of tax advantages "

Having spoken to an accountant, This sounds best. Cheers

By *oandjohnCouple
over a year ago

South Wales, will travel to Hereford, Worcestershire and Shropshire

"This is not unusual, you will be your own company, first find out who is paying you, who you invoice to get that payment then talk to HMRC enquiry line, finally find an accountant and talk through your options. When I did it I set up a company of my own employed my wife as secretary and book keeper and did quite well out of it, while colleagues working through the same agency got into a complete mess and missed out on lots of tax advantages "

You are describing being selfemployed here. So there won't be employers NI...

You only pay Self-Employed NI

By *verysmileMan
over a year ago

CANTERBURY

Speak to HMRC but if you are self employed, you may also be entitled to claim your reasonable business expenses against your tax liability.

Post new Message to Thread