Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

anyone know what trains I need to get?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

From Blackpool to Minehead. All I can get from the internet is that I'll have to change trains at some point then get a shuttle bus down there from the next town. Anyone happen to know where I might need to change? pretty please?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

i think the nearest train station to Minehead is Taunton..

so you might have to Bus it from Taunton to Minehead.

over a year ago

if you google transport direct it should give you more information

basically though its a pain in the ass journey.. Blackpool to Preeston (train)

Preston onto Birmingham New Street (train)

then Birmingham New Street to Taunton (train)

Taunton to Minehead (bus)

over a year ago

Probably Blackpool to Leeds. Leeds Bristol Bristol Taunton. I used to get a train from Leeds to Plymouth that stopped at Taunton.

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

If you go on trainline dot com, put the journeys Cute said in separate as usually the price comes up cheaper...I went to Sheffield from Ulverston and Ulverston to Sheffield as one journey showed up somewhere round the £80 mark, but separating the journeys got me return for £35

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

"If you go on trainline dot com, put the journeys Cute said in separate as usually the price comes up cheaper...I went to Sheffield from Ulverston and Ulverston to Sheffield as one journey showed up somewhere round the £80 mark, but separating the journeys got me return for £35"

Please don`t use trainline dot com!!! Use National Rail`s webpage and find out what companies operate on the lines you will need to travel on. You may well find that by booking your journey in stages with each company you will get deals that trainline does not have access to!

Finally, Sassy is right in that while there is a railway from Taunton to Minehead, it is a preserved railway without connection to the mainline. So bus is your only option from there.

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

You don`t say when you`re going so firstly beware that engineering works may affect your plans. Also, look at buying deal tickets and having to "throw away" part of the ticket to get a deal. For example, if you can get a good deal from Preston to London, buy it as well as a ticket from Wolvehampton to Birmingham. As long as the train from your good deal ticket calls at the change point that`s OK.

Train companies involved for your journey will be First TransPennine from Blackpool to Preston, Virgin fromPreston to Birmingham, Cross Country from Birmingham to Taunton and possibly First Great Western from Bristol to Taunton.

By *uantock StagCouple
over a year ago

Minehead

I looked at this a few days ago, very expensive around £138 for a couple return. Also journey time Taunton to Blackpool South is 4'75 to 5 hours. We tend to go twice a year, and August PH we currently have 1 spare seat.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

depending on when you were looking at going.... I still have train connections... give me a shout and i'll see what i can find for you

over a year ago

coaches go to minehead (butlins)

By *uantock StagCouple
over a year ago

Minehead

"i think the nearest train station to Minehead is Taunton..

so you might have to Bus it from Taunton to Minehead. "

Minehead has a station, not quite caught up with the rest of the country as we are still powered by steam

Sorry I misread, you are travelling to 'here', as we go in the other direction.

over a year ago

£130+ on the train

£80 ish on the coach

OP : do you drive ?

If you do, then depending on how long you are going for and how many there are of you going, it may well be a mord viable option.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

No i don't drive, keep failing my practical. Lol. Will have a look at those. Tried the coach that runs too but they don't leave and return on the dates i needed xx

over a year ago

I always go to the train station and they work out the best and cheapest route for me. And they print out a timetable too. Or online try national rail/journey planner

By *tevelizCouple
over a year ago

northampton

have you tried looking at coach may get a direct one, and probably cheaper as a bonus.

Post new Message to Thread