Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

No world cup hype?

Jump to newest

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

I might be missing something here, but where's the usual "England will win the world cup" hype?

Yeah, people are looking forward to the football, but hardly anyone has mentioned 1966 and all that.

Are we being realists for once?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

We're gonna win the cup,...

And now yer gonna believe us'''

And now yer gonna believe us...,

And now yer gonna believe usssssssss...,

We're gonna win the cup.....

over a year ago

There's time yet ...

over a year ago

For the first time in a long time that I can remember. It just seems there's no real interest in the tournament. No great ambition, no hype, even friends who are die hard footie fans are just not that psyched about it. It's a real weird one this time round.

Have the years of underacheivement finally wore the fans down and they're realistic? Is it the poor publicity surrounding the location and venues a factor? Is it sour grapes over England not winning the 2018 bid? Who knows?

over a year ago

"I might be missing something here, but where's the usual "England will win the world cup" hype?

Yeah, people are looking forward to the football, but hardly anyone has mentioned 1966 and all that.

Are we being realists for once?"

I think reality has finally set in. We will do well to get out of the group.

I think quarter finals would be a good tournament then retire the reminder of the golden generation.

over a year ago

well ive bought some bunting and a blow up england hand

Even if we dont win, its still an excuse for a get together with mates to all watch a match

By *xpresMan
over a year ago

Elland

I think the lack of hype is down to the times of the games not many Dads n lads will get to watch it together like what i did with my ol man in 78/82/86 n what i have with my boys in 2002 etc..

going to be alot of "sickys" being taken in June

By *r-UniqueMan
over a year ago

Carmarthenshire

England have been full have hype over the last 15/20 years mainly because in their squad they have had players who win trophies domestically in their own league as well as winning/competing for the league and champions league. Plus doing well in Europe too. Beckham, Scholes, Butt, Lampard, Gerrad, Owen and even Rooney when he was at his best. Those set of players when playing together should be able to best most teams and give the bigger team a scare atleast. Now all those players have gone and England are picking their players from "lesser" teams. The hype isn't those no more as the players aren't known or done much to establish themselves as world class players. Also people aren't getting their hopes up because of the disappointed they have already had. Maybe they are thinking. "The lower the expectations, the more of a nice surprise it is the further they get".

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"well ive bought some bunting and a blow up england hand

Even if we dont win, its still an excuse for a get together with mates to all watch a match "

Aye, I'll be in the pub shouting at the telly

over a year ago

"We're gonna win the cup,...

And now yer gonna believe us'''

And now yer gonna believe us...,

And now yer gonna believe usssssssss...,

We're gonna win the cup..... "

i sId exactly that to superramfan last week

By *entaur_UKMan
over a year ago

Cannock

Years of being let down by England have wore me down over time. Being more realistic about our chances now. I'm guessing quarter final at the most?

By *tephanjMan
over a year ago

Kettering

Well i shall be flying my England flags n playing vindaloo on the stereo at full volume. I deffo think we cant win but im going to enjoy it

over a year ago

"I might be missing something here, but where's the usual "England will win the world cup" hype?

Are we being realists for once?"

I will be surprised if we make it out of the group stage. I have a strange feeling that we will either be shockingly poor, or surprisingly good. No logic or reasoning behind this view.

over a year ago

"For the first time in a long time that I can remember. It just seems there's no real interest in the tournament. No great ambition, no hype, even friends who are die hard footie fans are just not that psyched about it. It's a real weird one this time round.

Have the years of underacheivement finally wore the fans down and they're realistic? Is it the poor publicity surrounding the location and venues a factor? Is it sour grapes over England not winning the 2018 bid? Who knows?"

I always look forward to the world cup and the Euro's, even if England don't make an appearance.

By *ady G and GTCouple
over a year ago

Coventry

[Removed by poster at 26/05/14 15:16:13]

By *ady G and GTCouple
over a year ago

Coventry

Anyone else still feeling the hangover from 2010 World Cup in South Africa? My only hope is that some of the younger players get a chance. It will probably be as impact subs, but in previous tournaments, some young stars have risen. Come on Roy, give Sterling licence to run at defenders!

By *aucy3Couple
over a year ago

glasgow

Being Scottish I'm finding it a bit scary.

No who will England get in the first knockout game.

No mention of walkovers,in the group stage.

No mention of that thing that happened in 1966.

No arrogant disdain,

disregarding most other teams in the tournament.

No perpetual repeats of,

they think it's all over,it is now.

No media,over frenzied hype,

speculating on the route the victory parade will take.

No the English team should have an English manager outcry,they've already got one.

No 37 page free pull out in the sun,detailing every moment,of every players life since they were born,including their dogs name,and how if you add up all their street numbers,they add up to 207,a lucky number in the mayan culture.

As I say scary,for the first time in living memory,

England could be going to a world cup,with the right attitude.

brrrrrrrr it sends shivers down my spine.

Oh and,

No Scotland,our players always like to go on holiday when the world cups on.

over a year ago

I'd be happy if it passed by and I didn't even notice.

Post new Message to Thread