Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

is acupuncture effective?

Jump to newest

By *i fem hunters OP   Couple
over a year ago

london

Have had lower back pain for ages. Anyone had acupuncture treatment before? Does it work?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

My brother did for his neck after having an idiot pull out on him at a roundabout and yes it did though I think he gave up due to the cost of going regularly

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

It's the only one of the alternative therapies that is available on the NHS because it has quantifiable results.

over a year ago

london

So it appears as though it's a treatment that goes on for some time rather than a cure...........

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

Have you considered osteopathy or chiropractic complemented with deep tissue massage?

By *inkyfun2013Couple
over a year ago

lewisham

I had it to treat migraine when I was 24. My migraines had been getting progressively worse since the age of 14, to the point where I was taken to hospital with suspected meningitis and the migraines were lasting up to 10 days.

My GP suggested I give it a try and the results were spectacular - not one migraine in the following 15 years and have had 5 very minor ones lasting a day or two in the last 5. If I get any more, I'll definitely go back for more treatment.

over a year ago

I had a back injury playing sport a few years ago. Compressed my lower spine and all the muscle went into spasm. Acupuncture was the only thing other than strong prescription drugs that relaxed me. It's hard to describe exactly how it felt but it was an absolute lifesaver.

It was given to me by the physio as part of my rehabilitation programme so there was other stretching and massage as part of the process to though!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Have had lower back pain for ages. Anyone had acupuncture treatment before? Does it work?"

I had it as NHS treatment for spinal stenosis and it have mild pain relief but not enough. Mr N had it for a neck problem and it helped but no it isn't a cure if as is likely, the pain returns he will have to have it again.

I would recommend it

over a year ago

london

Thanks all, I think I'm gonna give it a go!

over a year ago

I'd rather stick pins in my.................oooops

over a year ago

London School of Osteopaths are a far better bet for sorting bad backs out.

I have had acupuncture on my leg once. It didn't work but as she had misdiagnosed the injury that was probably why...

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

A friend came out of a coma following one of the major uk train crashes, with it used on them, after other treatments made no progress. It seems to have better results than placebo. Speak to a practitioner, asking how many treatments they would expect you to need.

over a year ago

I've had it in my shoulder and it does help

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

Of course it works! It is used in many parts of the world in place of chemical anaesthetists in serious invasive surgery. However if the question is how effective will it be at blocking your back pain long term none of us can answer that.

I would personally recommend that you find a chiropractor in your area and have your back manipulated. I had a very bad motorcycle accident in the mid 80's that damaged my back and left me locking up and with severe lower back pain. After being told that there was nothing that could be done by my NHS consultant I had a course of treatment by a man called Kusaria in Shrewsbury and have no problems not had any problems since.

By *xpresMan
over a year ago

Elland

"Have had lower back pain for ages. Anyone had acupuncture treatment before? Does it work?"

Depends on how big the knives are haha

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

I couldn't get it round here on NHS when I was badly with my disc/sciatica but paid for a couple of sessions and got a bit of temporary relief...I found sport/deep tissue massage more effective for longer term relief (which I also paid for but was considerably cheaper)...my new hip (thank you NHS) has helped considerably even though I still have permanent mild cramp due to bulging disc

Post new Message to Thread