Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

charity shops

Jump to newest

By *uby0000 OP   Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

omg there are so many now sign of the times? do you give or buy from them?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *smCouple
over a year ago

Liskeard

I love a good furtle around a charity shop, I buy books from them, read them then re donate them.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Both, I'm like a raving looney when I get in one! My elbows lead the way

over a year ago

Why do they all smell the same ?

over a year ago

I always go in them in upmarket towns.

Brought designer shoes at bargain prices.

over a year ago

I went to a great one in southend last year. Bought a set of hair straighteners (which i'd had originally for £80 quid and wore out) for a fiver. And got a couple of albums and books. Spent about 12 quid I think.

By *uby0000 OP   Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

would anyone be put off wearing clothes somebody had wore then died

over a year ago

Just listening to Alan Carr saying he bought a pair of haunted sandals from a charity shop,they kept trying to take him to Betfred

over a year ago

However I would agree that they are an indication that the high streets are failing.

over a year ago

Never ever will I go in one or to a car boot

No way

I do give stuff to them though

By *e nicerWoman
over a year ago

Costa del Medway

"I love a good furtle around a charity shop, I buy books from them, read them then re donate them."

Yep same here and togs.

By *r-UniqueMan
over a year ago

Carmarthenshire

I think this is a sign of the times. A lot of people can't afford retail prices anymore. For whatever reason.

By *uby0000 OP   Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

"Just listening to Alan Carr saying he bought a pair of haunted sandals from a charity shop,they kept trying to take him to Betfred "

I saw that lol

over a year ago

"Never ever will I go in one or to a car boot

No way

I do give stuff to them though "

Also can't do library books

By *e nicerWoman
over a year ago

Costa del Medway

"Why do they all smell the same ?"

They use a special product on them. Washes out easily enough.

over a year ago

Surprising what vintage items you can find

over a year ago

My sister supplements her income via charity shops.

She buys womens clothes - often designer brands - and resells them.

She also buys old furtniture, brings it 'on trend' and resells that too.

It takes up quite a bit of time for her outside of her 8-4 job and she puts plenty of effort and work into reselling the items.

It does pay dividends tho - so far this year enough for a week in Kefalonia and a fortnight in Cuba.

over a year ago

An occasional buy, but i do donate all usable spare goods to them.

Once bought "two goats" from Oxfam, pre-delivered to Africa i believe.

over a year ago

I always wash the clothes and footwear I clean inside with an anti bacterial spray.

over a year ago

"My sister supplements her income via charity shops.

It takes up quite a bit of time for her outside of her 8-4 job and she puts plenty of effort and work into reselling the items.

It does pay dividends tho - so far this year enough for a week in Kefalonia and a fortnight in Cuba."

Hope she's not a tax evader and pays the proper whack to HMRC.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I donate and buy.

By *uby0000 OP   Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

I donate loads

By *e nicerWoman
over a year ago

Costa del Medway

"I always wash the clothes and footwear I clean inside with an anti bacterial spray. "

Best way

By *e nicerWoman
over a year ago

Costa del Medway

It does pay dividends tho - so far this year enough for a week in Kefalonia and a fortnight in Cuba.

Hope she's not a tax evader and pays the proper whack to HMRC. "

Yeah just like the rich n politicals do?

over a year ago

Hope she's not a tax evader and pays the proper whack to HMRC. "

She's an accountant ....

over a year ago

No I can't do charity shops. I hate other people's tat. I can't stand rummaging through clothes in clothes shops and they are set out in categories

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I have clothes I could never afford if I didn't buy them in charity shops and many of them are as close to brand new as makes no difference. I always wash them of course but often you can tell by the smell that the previous owner had washed them before donating.

Anything we donate is freshly washed and its worth noting that you can donate clothing that isn't fit to be worn because they can sell it by weight

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I donate more than buy but if something grabs my fancy then I will buy.

By *hortieWoman
over a year ago

Northampton

I've found charity shops have got pricey over the last 10 years or so. now you can spend near a fiver on a top there - but buy a brand new top in town for the same price :O lol

I prefer car boots now. I'd rather spend a tenner on half a new wardrobe and use the rest of my cash on other things.

By *r-UniqueMan
over a year ago

Carmarthenshire

"No I can't do charity shops. I hate other people's tat. I can't stand rummaging through clothes in clothes shops and they are set out in categories "

Clothes, furniture i agree. But that's my preference. However these places are good for old/Classic CDs and DVDs, etc

over a year ago

I don't give, my unwanted stuff isn't fit for anyone else, if it was any good id keep them lol

over a year ago

"No I can't do charity shops. I hate other people's tat. I can't stand rummaging through clothes in clothes shops and they are set out in categories

Clothes, furniture i agree. But that's my preference. However these places are good for old/Classic CDs and DVDs, etc "

I went in one for music years ago. Not much worth buying in my area

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I don't give, my unwanted stuff isn't fit for anyone else, if it was any good id keep them lol"

see my thread, they can even sell rags to the recyclers

By *uthTVDerbysTV/TS
over a year ago

Derby

Entertain charity shop workers by walking up to the shoe rack ... hold up a pair and shout "Do you have this style in a Size 9 please?"

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

"would anyone be put off wearing clothes somebody had wore then died"

Yes. Once one of my step-father's friends snuffed it. He was about the same size as me, so I was happy to have first refusal of his stuff. I got some shoes that looked just like the ones in the opening sequence of The Sweeney. When my granddad died, my mum chucked his stuff out just in case I collected it all.

over a year ago

i went to our local oxfam , with some stuff, some good but of no use , some which i thought was crap, the lady smiled and explained we can use everything, everybody needs something, which i thought was amazing, as i left i saw a lady buying 3 plates and a cup, she must have needed it, for a reason so whatever it is , good bad , just give it ,one,mans junk is anothers treasure

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

I took some stuff to a charity shop in Hampshire before I moved to be sent away with the words, "we're not accepting any more donations today. Try again tomorrow".

I took the stuff elsewhere, where they thanked me for it and I've never supported the first charity since and never will again. Did they think they were doing me some kind of favour?

over a year ago

"omg there are so many now sign of the times? do you give or buy from them?"

there is a new 'retro' chazza's open in my small town which supports retired greyhounds...awwwwww

anyway I was in there yesterday and I bought a pre loved 'radley' over the shoulder leather bag for a tenner...looked on the website when I got home and they go for £120 new so I got a bargain

over a year ago

no i cant afford to buy from charity shops. i would give them stuff but they are too far away so i just take it to the dump, they sell some stuff like books and ornaments, just got rid of loads last week.

over a year ago

When I lost a lot of weight I gave all my clothes to charity shops. I put them in two suitcases I no longer wanted and told them to keep those as well. I have to admit I never look to buy anything in them though.

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

Never bought clothes but I love a good charity shop book raid. ^^

Once spent a fiver and got about 15 books...

When you're done, re-donate them and start all over again.

- Amy. x

over a year ago

"I took some stuff to a charity shop in Hampshire before I moved to be sent away with the words, "we're not accepting any more donations today. Try again tomorrow".

I took the stuff elsewhere, where they thanked me for it and I've never supported the first charity since and never will again. Did they think they were doing me some kind of favour?"

Can't believe they did that! I donate & I buy a lot of books from charity shops & then re-donate them afterwards.

By *atcherofmyballsMan
over a year ago

hereford

"I don't give, my unwanted stuff isn't fit for anyone else, if it was any good id keep them lol"

Use it up and wear it out, or is that a song

over a year ago

I do not buy from them, but used to donate regularly. However, last time hubby and I traipsed from the car park lugging bags and boxes of freshly washed and folded clothes, they acted like they were doing us a favour, sighing about how they did not know if they had room etc, no hint of a thank you.

Now I just put them in those collection bags that come through the door.

over a year ago

"I do not buy from them, but used to donate regularly. However, last time hubby and I traipsed from the car park lugging bags and boxes of freshly washed and folded clothes, they acted like they were doing us a favour, sighing about how they did not know if they had room etc, no hint of a thank you.

Now I just put them in those collection bags that come through the door."

Doesnt surprise me, glad i never bothered to take my stuff there.

By *ighland_RoseCouple
over a year ago

Brigadoon

"I took some stuff to a charity shop in Hampshire before I moved to be sent away with the words, "we're not accepting any more donations today. Try again tomorrow".

I took the stuff elsewhere, where they thanked me for it and I've never supported the first charity since and never will again. Did they think they were doing me some kind of favour?

Can't believe they did that! I donate & I buy a lot of books from charity shops & then re-donate them afterwards. "

Many charity shops get more donations than they can handle. A friend of mine worked in a local one, in a rural area, and they had dozens of bags left by their doors every day. It's an awful lot of work for volunteers, and a huge lot of the stuff is unusable and it still has to be sorted and then the charity has to pay to get rid of it. Some people basically just use them to get rid of crap they don't want to put in the bin for whatever reason.

I'm not suggesting that was what you were doing VV, just that that's why they sometimes have to say no more today please.

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

Can't believe they did that! I donate & I buy a lot of books from charity shops & then re-donate them afterwards.

Many charity shops get more donations than they can handle. A friend of mine worked in a local one, in a rural area, and they had dozens of bags left by their doors every day. It's an awful lot of work for volunteers, and a huge lot of the stuff is unusable and it still has to be sorted and then the charity has to pay to get rid of it. Some people basically just use them to get rid of crap they don't want to put in the bin for whatever reason.

I'm not suggesting that was what you were doing VV, just that that's why they sometimes have to say no more today please."

No, my stuff was all good, clean, saleable stuff.

I understand that sometimes they get more than they can cope with. It was more the attitude shown when turning me away. There was no thank you, no sorry we can't take it, no would you be able to bring it another day? I got a brusque "We're not taking any more donations today. Try again tomorrow". Those are the exact words.

As if my schedule is completely free for running up and down to charity shops, on the off chance they'll accept the stuff I am giving them out of kindness, to allow them to raise money.

over a year ago

I always look around charity shops. I wore a gorgeous black silky evening dress to a party last week.which I received many compliments.it was ten pound lol im a single mum on a tight budget cant afford to pay eg 70 quid for a nice dress so yes im a bargain hunter

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I always look around charity shops. I wore a gorgeous black silky evening dress to a party last week.which I received many compliments.it was ten pound lol im a single mum on a tight budget cant afford to pay eg 70 quid for a nice dress so yes im a bargain hunter "

Me too! I have some beautiful leather and suede jackets that I could never afford in a million years.

over a year ago

I work for a charity so I donate and buy from them They are a great way to raise funds

over a year ago

Yep. I use them from time to time.

I go to affluent areas wear people donate their designer gear!

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"

anyway I was in there yesterday and I bought a pre loved 'radley' over the shoulder leather bag for a tenner...looked on the website when I got home and they go for £120 new so I got a bargain "

Oooh I love a bargain! I got a Francesco Biasia bag for £6.50 just 'cos I like it and my friend tells me it's worth £300! I howled with laughter!! You have to go to posh areas to get bargains like that, but I popped in a grotty one once and still got a John Rocha pearl necklace for £1.50 which I found online for £130!

Madness, I actually felt a bit guilty that was so cheap!

By *ot4ujoWoman
over a year ago

Eccles

I have a friend who works in a charity shop x even if it's rubish they can make money in stuff they resell old clothes etc for rags

over a year ago

"I don't give, my unwanted stuff isn't fit for anyone else, if it was any good id keep them lol

Use it up and wear it out, or is that a song "

1,2,3 shake your body down"

over a year ago

"I always look around charity shops. I wore a gorgeous black silky evening dress to a party last week.which I received many compliments.it was ten pound lol im a single mum on a tight budget cant afford to pay eg 70 quid for a nice dress so yes im a bargain hunter

Me too! I have some beautiful leather and suede jackets that I could never afford in a million years. "

thats what I mean you can get some really high quality clothes in charity shops.i bought that dress in Eastbourne btw lol

By *mm_n_ZedCouple
over a year ago

Fareham

Finding designer bargains is becoming more difficult as the staff become more brand savvy - but I did buy a Prada bag in mint condition once for £7 and sold it a while later on Ebay (to help pay for my daughter's 16th birthday celebration) for over £100. I regret selling to though tbh as it was a really nice bag and I can't afford another one like it.

By *heScotandthegirlCouple
over a year ago

London & Edinburgh

Yes... To both, love buying books from charity shops

Ruby x

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I always look around charity shops. I wore a gorgeous black silky evening dress to a party last week.which I received many compliments.it was ten pound lol im a single mum on a tight budget cant afford to pay eg 70 quid for a nice dress so yes im a bargain hunter

Me too! I have some beautiful leather and suede jackets that I could never afford in a million years.

thats what I mean you can get some really high quality clothes in charity shops.i bought that dress in Eastbourne btw lol "

You'll have to let me in on your secret . I dress on a very limited budget nowadays and I have never had more or better quality clothes

By *uby0000 OP   Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

we have recycling bins at our local Tesco but the police were called wen it was found that small children were being sent in to get the good shoes

over a year ago

thats what I mean you can get some really high quality clothes in charity shops.i bought that dress in Eastbourne btw lol

You'll have to let me in on your secret . I dress on a very limited budget nowadays and I have never had more or better quality clothes "

there is no secret just have to have good look through things your sizing, sometimes things are hiding at back.can be lucky or not

over a year ago

I brought a black cashmere Marks and Sparks jumper today for 4.95. Classic style.

By *r-UniqueMan
over a year ago

Carmarthenshire

Going by this thread. I would like to go into a charity shop and purchase one of the female customers . It's all for a good cause after all

By *bony in IvoryCouple
over a year ago

Black&White Utopia

"I always look around charity shops. I wore a gorgeous black silky evening dress to a party last week.which I received many compliments.it was ten pound lol im a single mum on a tight budget cant afford to pay eg 70 quid for a nice dress so yes im a bargain hunter "
same here, found some great bargins in charity shops ... And when ever I have a de-clutter always donate to local ones .

By *bony in IvoryCouple
over a year ago

Black&White Utopia

"Why do they all smell the same ?"
think the older type do,but now lots also sell new bits too and they don't look/ smell like jumble sales any more

By *uby0000 OP   Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

in our town we have 3 charity shops next to each other

By *othingButCocoChanelWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Never ever will I go in one or to a car boot

No way

I do give stuff to them though "

This, i give loads, clothes/shoes i have never even worn or worn once

Wouldnt buy from them tho

By *bony in IvoryCouple
over a year ago

Black&White Utopia

"I brought a black cashmere Marks and Sparks jumper today for 4.95. Classic style. "
i got a brand new linen jacket ( great for the summer) for £4 just kinda jumped out at me! Lol

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Most of my stuff - and it is loads, goes to my local hospice shop, which has looked after my best friend and some family. I do buy too, sometimes returning it.

over a year ago

I live in a very small town that has more charity shops and tea rooms than any other kinda shop. There must be at least 20 charity shops here!

By *uby0000 OP   Woman
over a year ago

hertfordshire

what about the bags that are put through the doors too loads and loads

By *issyyourbadWoman
over a year ago

Dorset

I work in one

over a year ago

In the States we call them thrift stores. I especially like to browse at books and music cds. I've found assorted items there: microwave oven, toaster oven, snow boots, etc.

over a year ago

I took heaps in to our hospice shop x I do the gift aid thing x the I got an email saying my stuff had raised £73 x

And did I want it..... Err no x

Love em x

In Australia they are called op shops. X

Post new Message to Thread