Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

19 is not too young

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

To be elected a councillor

The people of Audenshaw (Manchester) have voted in 19 year old Oliver Ryan as their representative on the local council.

Good on him !

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *xpresMan
over a year ago

Elland

I disagree in sure he is a decent guy BUT absolutely no life experience i feel that there should be a minimum age to represent peoples in public office

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I personally feel 19 is to young, most 19 year old don't know what they want from their own life at that age never mind making decisions on behalf of other people

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"I disagree in sure he is a decent guy BUT absolutely no life experience i feel that there should be a minimum age to represent peoples in public office "

there is, 18

(Dropped from 21 in 2007)

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

wasnt there a prime minister who was 9 or something back in the day?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

think if the person is right for the job then age doesn't come into it..

sometimes a none jaundiced viewpoint from someone fresh can be a good thing..

over a year ago

Young people in the UK get a raw deal, youth unemployment is nearly 17% - best way to deal with this is to put some young people in charge and let them get on! good on him

over a year ago

Good luck to him.

I tend to agree that life experience is important, but if people vote for youth that's their right.

I don't like the youth parliament stuff. It breeds obnoxious career driven politicians, but ultimately it's up to people to vote for what and who they want.

By *xpresMan
over a year ago

Elland

"I disagree in sure he is a decent guy BUT absolutely no life experience i feel that there should be a minimum age to represent peoples in public office

there is, 18

(Dropped from 21 in 2007)"

sorry i thought id put up an age...25

over a year ago

"Young people in the UK get a raw deal, youth unemployment is nearly 17% - best way to deal with this is to put some young people in charge and let them get on! good on him"

Its a fair point.. So many politicians are out of touch with the general population. From the flip side he could be seen as too young to deal with issues faced by older generations.

over a year ago

"wasnt there a prime minister who was 9 or something back in the day? "

Pitt the younger

Then Pitt the embryo

over a year ago

"wasnt there a prime minister who was 9 or something back in the day?

Pitt the younger

Then Pitt the embryo "

Pitt the glint in his father's eye

over a year ago

Pitt the younger

Then Pitt the embryo

Pitt the glint in his father's eye "

There's a town in the US that has a cat for a mayor (yes really), so a 9yr old seems reasonable by comparison.

over a year ago

"I disagree in sure he is a decent guy BUT absolutely no life experience i feel that there should be a minimum age to represent peoples in public office "

Agree, lot of people in their thirties on here who still havnt grown up.

over a year ago

So it's okay for someone to go off and fight for their country but not be a politician at 19?

This country needs to re-engage with the younger generation as they are amongst the lowest numbers that vote and this seems a great way to do it. As long as you know right from wrong & have a grasp on reality then why do you meet 20 years life experience to be a politician? Anyway the people of Audenshaw obviously think he's the right person for the job....so fair play to them & fair play to him.

By *utty_JiggleCouple
over a year ago

Black Country

Pitt the younger

Then Pitt the embryo

Pitt the glint in his father's eye "

You can't beat a bit of black adder.

over a year ago

Why not?

Can he do any worse than the forty / fifty somethings that are currently fucking it up?

Maybe what this country needs is some people with a fresh perspective, unfettered by 30 years of political 'teabagging'.

over a year ago

Why wouldn't it be ok? The community that voted him in would know enough about him and other candidates to make an informed decision.

I haven't read up on him, but would assume he's been well educated, probably travelled a lot, and is very mature for his age.

As long as he can make a difference to the community, then all good.

over a year ago

"I personally feel 19 is to young, most 19 year old don't know what they want from their own life at that age never mind making decisions on behalf of other people "

Most 19 year olds dont know what they want from life but clearly that young chap has his head screwed on and he wants to try make a difference, Hopefully he will!

Theres far too many young kids these days not interested with politics, so fair play to him!

I think once you reach the legsl age to vote you should be legally required to vote and face fines if you dont like it is in australia.

By *xpresMan
over a year ago

Elland

"I disagree in sure he is a decent guy BUT absolutely no life experience i feel that there should be a minimum age to represent peoples in public office

So it's okay for someone to go off and fight for their country but not be a politician at 19?

This country needs to re-engage with the younger generation as they are amongst the lowest numbers that vote and this seems a great way to do it. As long as you know right from wrong & have a grasp on reality then why do you meet 20 years life experience to be a politician? Anyway the people of Audenshaw obviously think he's the right person for the job....so fair play to them & fair play to him. "

i was in Ireland n the 1st gulf war @18/19 i knew what i was doing BUT i wasn't making political choices for thousands of others.. So i don't see the comparison

over a year ago

Our new admin guy is..... 22 x hes brilliant and he fits in well with our team - all in 40s and 50s

Not sure I'd actually vote for a 19 yr old though

over a year ago

IMO all councillors and MP's etc are just self-serving attention seekers who see a gravy train - all bloody useless in my humble opinion

By *r-UniqueMan
over a year ago

Carmarthenshire

"wasnt there a prime minister who was 9 or something back in the day? "

Actually there was a king at that age

over a year ago

disagree, more young people taking an interest in Politics is good imo

By *hrissie1961Woman
over a year ago

dumfries and galloway

Politics is becoming a career......most modern politicians are not interested in us plebs, all they want is a high flying career, with a few consultant jobs on the side

Post new Message to Thread