Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Freedom of Expression

Jump to newest

By *igSuki81 OP   Man
over a year ago

Retirement Village

or freedom of speech, though I am for it sometimes reading what is posted in open forums i ask myself whether some individuals deserve it. Saying what's on your mind openly is one thing but spreading hatred and misconceptions is another. Freedom to express is for everyone who understands that with that freedom comes the responsibility of expressing yourself without being an offences cunt (excuse the french)

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I like that people express their opinions, no matter what they are. If I disagree with them I still respect their right to their opinion. Words are just words.

The other day I very much disagreed with what a poster had to say but I still thanked him for the debate. He stood his ground and fought for his beliefs even when pretty much everyone was against him. I like that in a person.

over a year ago

"or freedom of speech, though I am for it sometimes reading what is posted in open forums i ask myself whether some individuals deserve it. Saying what's on your mind openly is one thing but spreading hatred and misconceptions is another. Freedom to express is for everyone who understands that with that freedom comes the responsibility of expressing yourself without being an offensive cunt (excuse the french)"

Although you're sentiment is felt, the whole basis of freedom of speech is exactly that. The freedom to say whatever you want - within reason.

By *akedninjaMan
over a year ago

edinburgh

"or freedom of speech, though I am for it sometimes reading what is posted in open forums i ask myself whether some individuals deserve it. Saying what's on your mind openly is one thing but spreading hatred and misconceptions is another. Freedom to express is for everyone who understands that with that freedom comes the responsibility of expressing yourself without being an offences cunt (excuse the french)"
absolutely!

over a year ago

"or freedom of speech, though I am for it sometimes reading what is posted in open forums i ask myself whether some individuals deserve it. Saying what's on your mind openly is one thing but spreading hatred and misconceptions is another. Freedom to express is for everyone who understands that with that freedom comes the responsibility of expressing yourself without being an offensive cunt (excuse the french)

Although you're sentiment is felt, the whole basis of freedom of speech is exactly that. The freedom to say whatever you want - within reason.

"

The two important words that a lot of people seem forget are 'within reason'

over a year ago

Is "freedom of speech" really a freedom when it is hemmed round by legislation? Is our society not strong enough to uphold this principle without having to rely on statutes to avoid things we find offensive? Is it not best to allow the people whom we might find offensive to air their views? At least we would know who they are. Does this "freedom" really mean that when restrictions are imposed. Someone with an agenda or opinion imposes those restrictions so what does freedom mean?

over a year ago

"or freedom of speech, though I am for it sometimes reading what is posted in open forums i ask myself whether some individuals deserve it. Saying what's on your mind openly is one thing but spreading hatred and misconceptions is another. Freedom to express is for everyone who understands that with that freedom comes the responsibility of expressing yourself without being an offences cunt (excuse the french)"

you can only spread hatred amongst people who want to accept it

I think everyone should have freedom of speech, I've heard some right garbage in my time but I still stand by their rights to say it

By *igSuki81 OP   Man
over a year ago

Retirement Village

I agree that everyone should have freedom of speech. No one should be stopped from speaking their minds regardless of gender, race, faith, political views etc etc and if there is disagreement or debate over a topic I'm more than willing to listen to another point of view to try an understand someones perspective. It is in my view what makes us more open minded, aware and rounded as individuals to be able to discuss and learn.

However freedom of speech to express your views is one thing but expressing your hatred and vileness is another.

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I think sometimes people can confuse freedom of speech with saying what they damn well like.

over a year ago

"I think sometimes people can confuse freedom of speech with saying what they damn well like."

Isn't that the same thing though?

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"I think sometimes people can confuse freedom of speech with saying what they damn well like."

Exactly!

If you would have trouble saying it to my face then saying it on the internet doesn't make it more acceptable.

If you can defend what you are saying and accept that others can and will have different views then good on you.

Being rude just because you have a freedom of speech is an abuse of a freedom.

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

If some people didn't have any freedom of speech, I wouldn't have the enjoyment of disagreeing with them.

How dull it would be if I could only nod and agree all the time.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I was not aware there was such a right here, unlike in the US constitution. We have hundreds of laws that curtail harm and offence to others. Plus websites and private clubs have their own rules. Some common sense about what is reasonable for others to feel, once one has spoken, should prevail. In general, if it is not good for others, just for oneself, then it is likely best to keep one's trap shut.

By *rumCoupleCouple
over a year ago

birmingham

The oft-quoted balance to the concept of freedom of speech is the maxim that's it's not freedom to shout "FIRE !" in a crowded theatre. It comes with responsibilities too.

over a year ago

Freedom is an absolute. If it is restricted, it isnt freedom.

Post new Message to Thread