Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Privatisation of our NHS

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Privatisation of our NHS

Turns out its actually happening right now, under our noses. We cant do a damn thing about it. When Cameron wanted war with Syria, we refused in the 'vote' but then he threw millions at them instead. Fracking? do we not get a say?

When the NHS does go into privatization the divide between you, middle class and upper class will be miles. Youll need insurance policies, some hospitals wont accept you.

WOW RANT OVER. RIGHT OFF TO WORK LOL

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

It might improve it - so much money is wasted - loads of public sector departments are being quietly privatised and I think it's a good thing on the whole. Z

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I am sure there will be plenty of Right Honourable people lining their pockets and certain high ranking MP's will end up on the board of directors of these private companies when their political (scheming) careers come to an end.

How do I become an MP??

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"It might improve it - so much money is wasted - loads of public sector departments are being quietly privatised and I think it's a good thing on the whole. Z"

Yup. Let's be like America and then if you're poor you're stuffed. Serves you right for being poor.

By *or Fox SakeCouple
over a year ago

Thornaby

Oh ffs. When not just type " I want Unisons bell end in my mouth" . The biggest thing holding back the delivery of world class health care in the UK are

Trades unions - and that includes the BMA

The ridiculous attitude to preventative health care that health care professionals have

The fact that large sections of the population would rather get pissed and eat shite than look after themselves

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"It might improve it - so much money is wasted - loads of public sector departments are being quietly privatised and I think it's a good thing on the whole. Z

Yup. Let's be like America and then if you're poor you're stuffed. Serves you right for being poor. "

Even the rich people are getting stuffed over there. The price of drugs is off the scale due to insurance companies. £300 for birth control? Fuck that!

The NHS has always lost money, and it always will. However which would we prefer? Free healthcare, however shonky it is in certain areas? Or the US system where if you don't have (quite frankly usurious) insurance you're left to die?

over a year ago

If the NHS goes private families like mine will really suffer if it wasn't for free health care my mum would no longer bewith us due to cancer and having a hole in her heart. I agree that there are a lot of issues with the NHS but privatisation altogether will cause even more problems.

MissD

over a year ago

1) Increase Income Tax to pay for it - everything rises in costs, we cannot be expected to keep funding it at the same level we did 5 years ago.

2) Tax dangerous foods; with the money going to the NHS

3) Remove the ridiculous management structures and play the people who actually deliver the care a decent wage. I dont want anyone who's up to their armpits in bile, piss and shit to scrape by on £16k p.a. We train staff here then they go into private care or move abroad where there is better money. Stop hemorrhaging trained staff who deliver.

4) NHS 'Trusts' - No!

5) People who go out an intentionally do harm to themselves on a Friday and Saturday nights by drinking to excess and then ending up in A&E should be charged for their care. Why should we pay for every Hooray Henry that wants to get poisonous levels of Stella in their bloodstreams every week, knowing that the Blue Light Angles will make it all better at 'zero' cost to them.

6) Stop outsourcing every service to private companies. If they can do it cheaper than your own staff you've either compromised on service or you need to look at how you manage the service you should provide.

By *onestjohn1962Man
over a year ago

Sheffield

"I am sure there will be plenty of Right Honourable people lining their pockets and certain high ranking MP's will end up on the board of directors of these private companies when their political (scheming) careers come to an end.

How do I become an MP??

"

You get people to vote for you - and after they have seen your pics you will have no shortage xxxx

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"It might improve it - so much money is wasted - loads of public sector departments are being quietly privatised and I think it's a good thing on the whole. Z"

Of course you do

After all turning health care into a private for profit business is such a success all over the world

In fact private healthcare is so good that British people are flooding to the continent to get treatment for their ills and our government are trying bring in legislation to stop Brits leaving the country for medical treatment

No that doesn't sound quite right does it?

over a year ago

I worked in a public sector department that was privatized, went with the company that took it on, annual budget as public sector was £3Million that was for staff and Capital budget, 2 years after privatisation I had advanced in the new company sufficiently to know what the billing was, the costs for the same job was £12 Million per year, when I retired about 20 years down the line so inflation needs to be included but the annual cost was £100 Million per year.

Have to say the service has stepped up in some area's but fallen way down in many others, plus on top of the billing the old government department has had to add approximately 200 staff to fill the many gaps, jobs we used to do within the budget that they didn't contract out so an extra cost on top.

So in a nutshell to replace an employed workforce of 372 civil servants, and a budget that was under funded by about £1 Million for Capital expenditure the government is now paying £100 Million for about £4 Million + inflation in actual return. but the share holders are happy, and lots of them are MP's, and my salary has risen exponentially so that's OK then,

over a year ago

i think a small fine for not turning up for an appointment is fair - but paying to actually see a doc is not - i need to see doc regularly and would be in shit street if i couldnt get to see him - certainly cannot afford to pay for the trip

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I'm ashamed to say I'm british. The way we are treated is absolutely shocking beyond belief... and we carry on paying our taxes, don't grumble and bend over asking for more lol

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

At the moment, UK citizens' life spans are longer than the US equivalents, partly due to the terrible state of healthcare over there. Anyone who dreams of replicating their system can kiss a few years of their own life goodbye. It's another round of turkeys rushing Christmas into the schedule.

Anyone want to die whilst they're younger?

And does no-one remember the tory liars saying 'no major re-organisation of the NHS'. And people voted for them, presumably believing them.

Private healthcare in the US is far less efficient than the British system, as much as people like to scare us with stories of inefficiency.

'findings show the NHS saving more lives for each pound spent as a proportion of national wealth than any other country apart from Ireland over 25 years. Among the 17 countries considered, the United States healthcare system was among the least efficient and effective'.

We must remember that our media is largely right wing, so most news that gets to us has that bent that's spun upon it. If we gullibly soak up their spin, as if it's fact, then we are being their sheep puppets. We need to start thinking and not just being the playthings of the rich right wingers. Those people have no shame in making huge amounts of money out of our health and earlier deaths.

over a year ago

For example?

And why are they doing it quietly and why are our tax and ni not coming down if its so much better in private hands.

Market forces in utilities, healthcare, any must-haves, dont work.

over a year ago

"1) Increase Income Tax to pay for it - everything rises in costs, we cannot be expected to keep funding it at the same level we did 5 years ago.

2) Tax dangerous foods; with the money going to the NHS

3) Remove the ridiculous management structures and play the people who actually deliver the care a decent wage. I dont want anyone who's up to their armpits in bile, piss and shit to scrape by on £16k p.a. We train staff here then they go into private care or move abroad where there is better money. Stop hemorrhaging trained staff who deliver.

4) NHS 'Trusts' - No!

5) People who go out an intentionally do harm to themselves on a Friday and Saturday nights by drinking to excess and then ending up in A&E should be charged for their care. Why should we pay for every Hooray Henry that wants to get poisonous levels of Stella in their bloodstreams every week, knowing that the Blue Light Angles will make it all better at 'zero' cost to them.

6) Stop outsourcing every service to private companies. If they can do it cheaper than your own staff you've either compromised on service or you need to look at how you manage the service you should provide.

"

This. The NHS is excellent and should be better run in the public sector rather than farmed out and privatised by stealth as is currently happening.

By *ss2011Man
over a year ago

Leeds/Bradford

Well dur, the Tories are selling it off bit by bit and making a quick couple of million. I thought everyone knew that? Some of them will keep links and manage them, but really, most of them will be sold off to anyone with the million.

over a year ago

Having lived under both the nhs and the private u.s. healthcare systems i will weigh in on this. The uk does NOT in any way want a private system. The cost will be astronomical for families. Higher copays on prescriptions, all doctor's visits, all hospital procedures, ambulance visits. in the u.s. private insurance only gives 80 percent of your costs for procedures or tests. You still end up with daunting bills to pay, despite insurance. Plus, the insurance companies are able to tell the docs what tests they can and cannot run as well as what drugs they can and cannot prescribe. You may get stuck with a drug that is known to be less effective for your condition because its more cost effective for the insurance company. You may also be put on a drug by your gp so that they can complete a marketing survey for the insurance company and get a nice bonus, rather than because you need it. And tests? They've recently changed the guidelines on men having prostate checks from every year to every ten years. Why? Because most forms are slow growing and take approximately ten years to become untreatable. Treating cancer isn't cost effective. Making someone comfy while they die is. Want to sort out the nhs? A, pay them a decent wage to attract talented workers and keep experienced staff and b, take away private health care in the uk and devote those resources back into the nhs. That will sort out the waiting lists. It'll be a sad sad day for Britain if you let the nhs go.

over a year ago

"Oh ffs. When not just type " I want Unisons bell end in my mouth" . The biggest thing holding back the delivery of world class health care in the UK are

The ridiculous attitude to preventative health care that health care professionals have

The fact that large sections of the population would rather get pissed and eat shite than look after themselves"

Think you forgot the amount being spent on admin management staff and europeans entering the country entitled to use the service for free, Oh and outside eu members, who use the service (for free) when they come to uk as tourists (medical tourists)

Lets be honest we have a good service which we pay NI for for so if it goes fully private there will be a deduction in Ni/tax.....

over a year ago

"Oh ffs. When not just type " I want Unisons bell end in my mouth" . The biggest thing holding back the delivery of world class health care in the UK are

The fact that large sections of the population would rather get pissed and eat shite than look after themselves

Think you forgot the amount being spent on admin management staff and europeans entering the country entitled to use the service for free, Oh and outside eu members, who use the service (for free) when they come to uk as tourists (medical tourists)

Lets be honest we have a good service which we pay NI for for so if it goes fully private there will be a deduction in Ni/tax....."

It's honestly not gonna cause a drop in either tax or n.i. the government would find a way to keep you paying the same or get you to pay more, irrespective of which party is in power.

Secondly, millions of brits holiday in Europe or move to Europe and avail themselves of the health care systems of europe.

Medical tourism has already been stopped. Tourists have to pay. Even foreign students coming to live and study at British university paying exorbitant fees are having to pay. Plus, Britain isn't a leading spot for medical tourism under the nhs because the waiting lists are rather long. People go places like Canada and the u.s. if they want/need fast treatment.

over a year ago

Health tourism hasn't stopped. My mother in law deals with it every day, its getting worse and thecases are never investigated and followed through. We are giving health care to anyone that need it. But then again, isn't that what the hippocratic oath is allbp about?

By *oo hotCouple
over a year ago

North West

The NHS has to change and it is only a matter of time. Denying the NHS the ability to change is deny the realities of modern life.

When the NHS was set up a a component of the welfare system there were nine people working for every one that was not and the life expectancy was 67.

Today we have a considerably higher life expectancy and the ratio of people in productive employment is now less than 50% of the population. There is an ever increasing and ageing native population and it is the latter years of life that cost the NHS so much.

The NHS is unsustainable with current demographics and someone has to be honest, face the facts and tell everyone the truth.

To keep the NHS as is for the next 20 years would need massive extra funding to cope with extra burden of more older people using it. Higher taxes anyone?

Alternatively provision could start to made now for the future. For example...

Private Health insurance could be made a tax deductible expense for companies, their employees and private individuals. This would ease NHS burden.

Insurance Companies could be charged where attributable blame gets subsequently proven for road accidents. D*unks and appointment skippers can be charged and all users of the NHS identified with an NI number or get charged for treatment. These measures would enable the NHS to claw back funds on a local level.

Something has to change that is for sure because we are all not going to suddenly stop getting older and living longer than we used to!

over a year ago

Read some shite in my time but this is bit rich

Post new Message to Thread