Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

self depreciating

Jump to newest

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Do you think you are? If so what makes you do it, is it lack of confidence?

I'd like to think that I'm not as personally I don't find it an attractive trait.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I'm not sure if I am or I'm not. I'm not very good at answering these type of questions, sorry.

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

What does it mean?? X

over a year ago

"What does it mean?? X"
always putting yourself down

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Of course not. I'm not funny enough.

over a year ago

"What does it mean?? X"

It means that you 'put yourself down' but this can be done in a jokey manner like Tina has done above, doesnt mean you are a glum ass always moaning that you cant, wont, will fail at doing something, hope this kind of clears it up, but im not very good at explaining things

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I can be self-deprecating. It was a defensive mechanism - getting in the criticism before others could. I've been working on it and hope I am less self-deprecating now.

I still struggle with a compliment sometimes.

By *nfieldishCouple
over a year ago

Enfield

Nice shoes

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"What does it mean?? X

It means that you 'put yourself down' but this can be done in a jokey manner like Tina has done above, doesnt mean you are a glum ass always moaning that you cant, wont, will fail at doing something, hope this kind of clears it up, but im not very good at explaining things "

A very good answer, with a joke.

over a year ago

Yes im self depreciating, i need a complete wewire and renovasion to get my value back up.

I blame the Daily Male

Gimp

over a year ago

I can be at times, I have done it for so long as well. It used to be a sort of tongue in cheek thing most people did when I grew up, you said things before others could.

over a year ago

"I can be at times, I have done it for so long as well. It used to be a sort of tongue in cheek thing most people did when I grew up, you said things before others could."
do you think its become a habit?

over a year ago

100% depreciated here, indeed written off.

If i had to put assets ( ie personal traits) to one side and all my liabilities (so i'm told)to the other then i'd be well out of balance.

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"What does it mean?? X

It means that you 'put yourself down' but this can be done in a jokey manner like Tina has done above, doesnt mean you are a glum ass always moaning that you cant, wont, will fail at doing something, hope this kind of clears it up, but im not very good at explaining things "

It can also be modesty. Or even false modesty!

By *ScotsmanMan
over a year ago

ayrshire

In depreciating like a bad wine

over a year ago

Yes although I'm pretty confident most times, it comes out.

I'm afraid the past caused it, insecurity problems himself, and tried to drag me down with him.

Her

over a year ago

"In depreciating like a bad wine "

Someone had to point it out.

over a year ago

It might have done, but like someone mentioned it is normally done in a jokey manner.

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

My humour is incredibly deprecating, so its only fair I practice on myself too.

over a year ago

I do it. Someone has to or I'd have a head as big as a house with all the flatterers on here

By *andybeachWoman
over a year ago

In the middle

"I can be self-deprecating. It was a defensive mechanism - getting in the criticism before others could. I've been working on it and hope I am less self-deprecating now.

I still struggle with a compliment sometimes.

"

I couldn't of said it better myself, I am always being told off for putting myself down

over a year ago

"My humour is incredibly deprecating, so its only fair I practice on myself too."

Not being too nosey. not half, but is it the only practice you practice on yourself?

over a year ago

I’d like to be self-depreciating….

But I just can’t seem to find an inherent weakness about myself that would warrant me making such wildly incredulous claims.....

over a year ago

It's a very English trait....not entirely negative

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"My humour is incredibly deprecating, so its only fair I practice on myself too.

Not being too nosey. not half, but is it the only practice you practice on yourself?

"

Well my burgeoning tattoo and piercing business didn't last long after I started crying. Or was that not what you had in mind?

By *ScotsmanMan
over a year ago

ayrshire

Im so self depreciating i went through a long period of punching my own cunt in everytime i saw myself in a mirror..i had to stop it was unfair on the mirror

By *adyGardenWoman
over a year ago

LONDON (se)

I used to be a lot but not anymore but I do find it hard to except compliments as I generally feel people are just being polite

By *adyGardenWoman
over a year ago

LONDON (se)

[Removed by poster at 20/05/14 18:18:49]

over a year ago

I am to a certain extent as I lack confidence but I don't put myself down in everything I do. I know what my good points are, I'm just not good at promoting myself

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

I agree with you, I am not self depreciating, I have over time become slightly more accepting of those that are, although it still makes me

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

I would say I'm not...I rarely put myself down...give myself a slap on a few occasions but not one to put myself down I guess

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"What does it mean?? X

It did thank you!! Xx

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"Do you think you are? If so what makes you do it, is it lack of confidence?

I'd like to think that I'm not as personally I don't find it an attractive trait.

"

No! I cringe at some of the comments people make about themselves on here. Some are disingenuous and simply seeking to have their ego massaged: equally cringe worthy.

By *ibanditMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Tip - don't do it in your profile text, but if you do it amusingly in real-life, people like it.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"What does it mean?? X

It means that you 'put yourself down' but this can be done in a jokey manner like Tina has done above, doesnt mean you are a glum ass always moaning that you cant, wont, will fail at doing something, hope this kind of clears it up, but im not very good at explaining things

It can also be modesty. Or even false modesty! "

Indeed!

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I tend to do it, as I've a tendency to take over if I get half a chance and it helps me to keep my feet on the ground.

over a year ago

I think most people do this, some more than others. Some are more obvious than others.

I know I do sometimes, as it's a way of pointing out what I believe are my vulnerable points, which when I think about it is stupid. But I'm often negative about my size so that others don't point it out.

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

it can be quite tiresome and interpreted as fishing for compliments

over a year ago

as its been said in other posts in the thread i use it as a protection, if i make jokes then no one else can hurt me i guess as im already taking the piss.

i have confidence issues, im aware of my body size but know im not ugly.

i prefer to read someone being a lil bit down on themselves with a jokey kinda way rather than over the top with confidence/arrogance though

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Arrogance is a big turn off. Neediness is also a big turn off, but self-deprecation is ok unless done to excess.

over a year ago

I use it as a joke. How can I, in all consciousness, take the piss out of anyone else if I can't take it out of myself?

I know who I am, I know that I'm short, chubby, not terribly good looking and would get passed over on here for many other guys. It's a realistic view grounded in self awareness. That doesn't mean I don't have confidence in who I am- it means my confidence is tempered so it never becomes arrogance.

over a year ago

"I use it as a joke. How can I, in all consciousness, take the piss out of anyone else if I can't take it out of myself?

I know who I am, I know that I'm short, chubby, not terribly good looking and would get passed over on here for many other guys. It's a realistic view grounded in self awareness. That doesn't mean I don't have confidence in who I am- it means my confidence is tempered so it never becomes arrogance.

"

do you not think being a realist is different? I'm a realist

over a year ago

No, I'm not, plenty of women do it for me

over a year ago

"

nope got plenty of people to do that for me

over a year ago

"I use it as a joke. How can I, in all consciousness, take the piss out of anyone else if I can't take it out of myself?

do you not think being a realist is different? I'm a realist

"

I think that being a realist means that self depreciation is never destructive or harmful, and it's never used simply to illicit an ego boost.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I don't think I am. I know a guy at work who is and it's very irritating. He also finishes almost all his sentences with a 'heh heh'

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

i am..... heck if i do it then i'll close off the avenues for others to....

besides its quite nice to know we can laugh at out own flaws....

over a year ago

If it amuses me I will, it's also a good tool for modesty.

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"I don't think I am. I know a guy at work who is and it's very irritating. He also finishes almost all his sentences with a 'heh heh' "
Not a hey ho?

over a year ago

"Arrogance is a big turn off. Neediness is also a big turn off, but self-deprecation is ok unless done to excess. "

over a year ago

"Arrogance is a big turn off. Neediness is also a big turn off, but self-deprecation is ok unless done to excess. "

All joking aside, I struggle to 'big myself up' because I don't want to appear arrogant so I probably err on the other side. It's a fine line and easy to be perceived as either arrogant or unconfident. In reality, I'm very self conscious. But I've made it through the part 50 years ok

over a year ago

"

No! I cringe at some of the comments people make about themselves on here. Some are disingenuous and simply seeking to have their ego massaged: equally cringe worthy."

Some who do it are simply looking for an ego boost. I appreciate that some use it as a self defense mechanism, but I think it's unattractive.

over a year ago

i do.

its just easier to go with public opinion rather than go against the grain lol

over a year ago

"

I have a very self depricating sense of humour and I'm far from lacking in confidence.

I like to take the piss and am a firm believer that you have to be able to take it if you're dishing it out...

over a year ago

"

Overdone its not a very attractive trait at all but done with taste and dignity it can be quite endearing.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/05/14 09:56:54]

over a year ago

I have a very self depricating sense of humour and I'm far from lacking in confidence.

I like to take the piss and am a firm believer that you have to be able to take it if you're dishing it out..."

I absolutely agree, I suffered an inferiority complex for years but finally got it beat....you fucking ugly gobshite!

over a year ago

I think no matter what you think of yourself, if you can take the piss out of yourself you have cracked it.

her

over a year ago

I don't put myself down. I like me. I joke around about stuff sometimes but not in a negative way. I'm a happy kinda chick.

over a year ago

I like to take the piss and am a firm believer that you have to be able to take it if you're dishing it out..."

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

I'm terrible at this.

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

I would always rather underplay than overplay and sometimes self-deprecate for that reason. I can't bear people who over-promise and under-deliver, so I would always rather someone is pleasantly surprised.

over a year ago

"I would always rather underplay than overplay and sometimes self-deprecate for that reason. I can't bear people who over-promise and under-deliver, so I would always rather someone is pleasantly surprised."

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/05/14 12:10:24]

over a year ago

"I would always rather underplay than overplay and sometimes self-deprecate for that reason. I can't bear people who over-promise and under-deliver, so I would always rather someone is pleasantly surprised."

I agree with this

over a year ago

Some people are keen to knock others.. Esp when they have similar negative qualities

over a year ago

Post new Message to Thread