Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Advice please

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

2 days ago I bought a watch off Gumtree from a girl. She drove by and I gave her the money in cash.

Tonight she said she was caught in the bank by the police with a fake £20 note that she got from me. She didn't tell the police she got from me when they asked her. She said she didn't want to get me into trouble. However she is asking me to take responsibility and give her another £20!

I got the notes from my wages in cash from the till where I work.

Whats tthe fair thing to do here guys?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Chase her trying her luck to bump you

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

If indeed she was found in possession of a fake note by the police, she could tell them it came from the tooth fairy for all it would matter. She couldn't prove it came from you, so there's no way you could be in trouble.

You have no way of knowing if she's telling you the truth or trying to scam you. I suspect the latter, personally.

You gave her the note in good faith, she should have checked it before accepting it, and if she did but couldn't tell it was fake then she shouldn't expect you to be able to either. The responsibility is hers.

Unless she can prove the note was fake, that it was definitely the note you gave her and that it was confiscated by police, I'd tell her to sod off. And if she wants to tell the police the note came from you, tell her to go ahead.

Why should you be out of pocket when you have only her word there's even a problem?

over a year ago

Ask her for the crime log number so you can contact police yourself! ALL incidents have a log number! That way you can tell if she's pulling a fast one

over a year ago

Scam

over a year ago

That is one tough banking system you have in paisley if the police are there checking all notes

Gimp

over a year ago

lol seriously?? She's trying to pull a fast one on you as it looks like you believe her. Tell her to jog on!

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"Ask her for the crime log number so you can contact police yourself! ALL incidents have a log number! That way you can tell if she's pulling a fast one "

Why waste his time: it's a scam!

over a year ago

She's a ponse...simple

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

It's a scam.

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

I'd play along with her. tell her your company have agreed to replace the £20 but you need the police officers name and contact details because they want to release the cctv footage to him (or her)

Watch her squirm.

Anyway, down to the important stuff.

Was she fit?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Of it's scam it's a huge amount of trouble to go to for twenty quid!

I was passed a fake tenner in cash back in Waitrose,, they said "tough" so did the police and the bank. Therefore I would say you have no need to replace the money unless you believe her in which case I would agree to go halves.

over a year ago

It's a well known scam in my neck of the woods.

In fact I would just say I don't believe her and to go ahead and pass my details to the police. Even if it was true, the police will do next to nothing for the sake of £20. Not exactly the crime of the century now is it.

But if she sell £10 watches and pulls this with each transaction that's an extra £200 in her pocket. Are you 100% sure the watch she sold you is a genuine article?

over a year ago

If the bank know it to be a forgery all they do is confiscate it...simples!

This bird is having you on, I think

over a year ago

"Ask her for the crime log number so you can contact police yourself! ALL incidents have a log number! That way you can tell if she's pulling a fast one

Why waste his time: it's a scam!"

Lol we know that!! Asking for log number is a very subtle way of calling her bluff!

over a year ago

I once had a fake £20 taken off me in macdonalds that was passed to me at a car boot sale, there was no mention of calling the police, they just took it there and then

over a year ago

Tell her to pass your details to the police, as you will also pass hers to the police for attempting to scam you for money and you need her 'complaint' on record as evidence.

By *yphoon1Man
over a year ago

"I'd play along with her. tell her your company have agreed to replace the £20 but you need the police officers name and contact details because they want to release the cctv footage to him (or her)

Watch her squirm.

Was she fit?

"

over a year ago

Obtaining money by deception springs to mind. Tell her to fuck off I've had and tried to be scammed soon found him out belive me and as for gum tree full of scammers on there just like flea bay

over a year ago

I doubt a bank would call the police over a fake £20 note

I took a cash sum out of my account recently,I asked the cashier to check it and she found 2 fake £20 in there!

They're everywhere,you don't have to give her anything at all

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"I'd play along with her. tell her your company have agreed to replace the £20 but you need the police officers name and contact details because they want to release the cctv footage to him (or her)

Watch her squirm.

Was she fit?

"

She is so fucking hot lol

over a year ago

No bank, shop, restaurant, anywhere would calm the police in for a fake note. As a merchant You are told to confiscate it from the person using it, unless of course they're trying to part with a large amount in which case you call the police. £20 is not a large amount, she's having you on hun.

over a year ago

Also, she will have a receipt for the confiscated bank note. The police are not allowed to take anything from someone without giving a receipt. Even if they we're to take your shoelaces. No receipt, no confiscation. If no receipt is given, they are not following proper police procedure & they will get in trouble for it. My mum was a policewoman until she retired 9 years ago so she should know. Sounds like a scam.

over a year ago

Watch her squirm.

Was she fit?

She is so fucking hot lol"

over a year ago

"2 days ago I bought a watch off Gumtree from a girl. She drove by and I gave her the money in cash.

Tonight she said she was caught in the bank by the police with a fake £20 note that she got from me. She didn't tell the police she got from me when they asked her. She said she didn't want to get me into trouble. However she is asking me to take responsibility and give her another £20!

I got the notes from my wages in cash from the till where I work.

Whats tthe fair thing to do here guys? "

It sounds like the scam they had round hear last year. The original notes were genuine just someone wanting double for it I would say you got it from work and she should report it to the police if it was you that passed it.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I think the police would only have been called if she was suspicious or potentially fraudulent. One fake note would have just been confiscated for destruction. If she was suspicious enough for them to call police, then I think it wise that you treat her accordingly. If you did give her the note, then your finger prints would be on it. If she persists, ask her for the police details, as others state. If she reveals herself as more of a scammer, it may be good to inform the police of her anyway, as she may be running a racket.

Post new Message to Thread