FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

it was bound to happen sooner or later. I got caught!!!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

94mph in a 70. Ffs!!!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ay Dee BeeMan
over a year ago

INGATESTONE near Brentwood

"94mph in a 70. Ffs!!!"

M40 jcn5 to 6?

Naughty bit of road

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Naughty!

over a year ago

Still, look on the bright side, it possibly saved you from killing someone, or indeed yourself.

Cyclings good for your health.

over a year ago

Tut tut x I thought a camera got me the other month.turns out it took pic other way. Was relieved as didnt do it on purpose,never got speed fine in my life. Learnt never go on A22 back from London early hours full of speed cameras, sticking to A21

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Congratulations.

over a year ago

Nothing to be proud of.

over a year ago

Erm... Good.

By *oulou45Woman
over a year ago

Bucks

I predict a ban.

over a year ago

"Nothing to be proud of."

never said I was proud . Totally disappointed with myself actually

over a year ago

my last one was 35 in a 30...... from a standing start with the camera just the other side of the lights!!

The one prior to that was 61 in a 50 on the Cat & Fiddle whilst popping an overtake, Found out the hard way that the average speed cameras there also work as static cameras

By *ssexguy69Man
over a year ago

thurrock Essex

easy done , on A13 tonite plodding along looked at clock fuck opps 90 slow up mister i said lol

By *uggarbunnyWoman
over a year ago

Doncaster

"Erm... Good."

Dito

over a year ago

Its so easily done especially at night. I alwayson the a41 but nnever saw police there before

By *oulou45Woman
over a year ago

Bucks

I realised today that ive been driving for a few weeks on an expired licence. Just glad I wasn't caught. Will be sorting it out in the morning.

over a year ago

"I realised today that ive been driving for a few weeks on an expired licence. Just glad I wasn't caught. Will be sorting it out in the morning. "

good.luck sweetie

By *oulou45Woman
over a year ago

Bucks

"Its so easily done especially at night. I alwayson the a41 but nnever saw police there before"
The police to park up in the laybys of the A41 plus unmarked cars. My brother got caught last month at about 9pm doing a similar speed.

By *parkle1974Woman
over a year ago

Leeds

Won't be a ban....6 points and a £300 fine

over a year ago

"I realised today that ive been driving for a few weeks on an expired licence. Just glad I wasn't caught. Will be sorting it out in the morning. "

Have you still got your old paper license or do you have to give that up when you get a photo one ?

over a year ago

See ive been driving that way always at night for two years never seen them it's exactly what happened tonight

over a year ago

"Nothing to be proud of.

never said I was proud . Totally disappointed with myself actually"

Disappointed in your behviour? Or that you got caught? Because the topic header suggests speeding is not unusual for you...

over a year ago

"Won't be a ban....6 points and a £300 fine"

Think the OP may be lucky, unless theyve changed the guidelines its 3 points & £60.

96 & over is a court appearance

over a year ago

In other news there are 2 dead and 2 critical after a smash on the M11 today. And one person arrested on suspicion of death by dangerous.

Obviously way to early to speculate on the cause or if inappropriate speed was a factor

over a year ago

I got done just after Xmas (busiest time of year to be pulled lol) I was doing 43 in a 30 rushing home to do a poo and was pulled over by an unmarked police car and given a fine and 3 points

By *oulou45Woman
over a year ago

Bucks

"Won't be a ban....6 points and a £300 fine

Think the OP may be lucky, unless theyve changed the guidelines its 3 points & £60.

96 & over is a court appearance"

fingers crossed. My brother isn't one to speed due to the nature of the work we do. He was lucky gave his excuse and was sent on his way after a good lecture.

over a year ago

off to the tower with you

By *oulou45Woman
over a year ago

Bucks

"See ive been driving that way always at night for two years never seen them it's exactly what happened tonight"
I use the A41 pretty much every day hence seen them parked in the laybys. Its normally between Tring and Aylesbury. Hence why I panicked today when I realised my licence has expired.

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

I have no sympathy for anyone speeding, especially if they knowingly do it on a regular basis, too many deaths caused by careless driving.

over a year ago

"I have no sympathy for anyone speeding, especially if they knowingly do it on a regular basis, too many deaths caused by careless driving."

Ok contentious point here. Speeding is not in itself careless, that is a seperate offence.

Someone who is travelling at the speed limit looks down to change the radio station and causes an accident is careless.

I agree inappropriate speed kills however it is possible to make progress safely in excess of the posted speed limit without it being careless (although it is illegal)

By *am789Man
over a year ago

Preston

I was pulled up for doing 56 on the motorway once. The nice man said it was suspicious. %%%@@. I wasn't impressed.

over a year ago

I just got sacked on Friday I got clocked 49 in a 30 zone

By *oulou45Woman
over a year ago

Bucks

Ive seen many a close accident caused my people driving way below the speed limit when there is no reason to etc.

over a year ago

"Erm... Good.

Dito "

u would get of with a warning if u flashed those head lights xxx

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Congratulations. "

and celebrations

I want the world to know I'm as happy as I can be

*courtesy of the terrible lyrics department*

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"I have no sympathy for anyone speeding, especially if they knowingly do it on a regular basis, too many deaths caused by careless driving.

Ok contentious point here. Speeding is not in itself careless, that is a seperate offence.

Someone who is travelling at the speed limit looks down to change the radio station and causes an accident is careless.

I agree inappropriate speed kills however it is possible to make progress safely in excess of the posted speed limit without it being careless (although it is illegal)"

Dress it up how you like....as you say its illegal and kills!

By *ee VianteWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

Most people who drive regularly exceed the speed limit from time to time.

It's not sensible to post about it on a site like this, especially when you're significantly over the limit and you suggest it's something you do regularly.

Whether you're bragging about it or looking for sympathy, you're not likely to find it here.

over a year ago

"I have no sympathy for anyone speeding, especially if they knowingly do it on a regular basis, too many deaths caused by careless driving.

I agree inappropriate speed kills however it is possible to make progress safely in excess of the posted speed limit without it being careless (although it is illegal)Dress it up how you like....as you say its illegal and kills!"

Leaving aside the fact that speed itself doesn't kill (if it did every German who uses an autobahn would be dead) there is also the issue of inappropriately low speed limits.

There is something called the 85th percentile (feel free to go google it) which basically means that if you took any section of road and didnt apply any speed limit to it then 85% of people would naturally travel at the safest speed for that section of road. If you then set the speed limit below the 85th percentile the accident rate actually increases

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Dress it up how you like....as you say its illegal and kills!"

Too right, there was a guy on here a couple of months ago who admitted to doing 170+ on his motorcycle on open roads

He got lambasted for it and rightly so.

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Dress it up how you like....as you say its illegal and kills!

Too right, there was a guy on here a couple of months ago who admitted to doing 170+ on his motorcycle on open roads

He got lambasted for it and rightly so."

I have looked after so many people with spinal injuries, their stories have mostly lead to speeding, from either themselves or other drivers.

over a year ago

I agree inappropriate speed kills however it is possible to make progress safely in excess of the posted speed limit without it being careless (although it is illegal)Dress it up how you like....as you say its illegal and kills!

Leaving aside the fact that speed itself doesn't kill (if it did every German who uses an autobahn would be dead) there is also the issue of inappropriately low speed limits.

There is something called the 85th percentile (feel free to go google it) which basically means that if you took any section of road and didnt apply any speed limit to it then 85% of people would naturally travel at the safest speed for that section of road. If you then set the speed limit below the 85th percentile the accident rate actually increases"

Where was this experiment undertaken ?

over a year ago

He got lambasted for it and rightly so."

170mph would be classed as inappropriate on most UK roads at most times of day, having said that I have done extended periods at 160mph perfectly legally in Germany.

Take the M6 toll road at 02:00 on a clear dry morning. Good road surface, good weather conditions . Would 170mph then be unsafe or inappropriate?

over a year ago

I agree inappropriate speed kills however it is possible to make progress safely in excess of the posted speed limit without it being careless (although it is illegal)Dress it up how you like....as you say its illegal and kills!

There is something called the 85th percentile (feel free to go google it) which basically means that if you took any section of road and didnt apply any speed limit to it then 85% of people would naturally travel at the safest speed for that section of road. If you then set the speed limit below the 85th percentile the accident rate actually increases"

For all your twaddle, isn't it the simple fact that it is the rapid deceleration that usually kills?

over a year ago

"In other news there are 2 dead and 2 critical after a smash on the M11 today. And one person arrested on suspicion of death by dangerous.

Obviously way to early to speculate on the cause or if inappropriate speed was a factor"

This is what puts me off driving on motorways. I was on the M11 a few weeks ago with my daughter and grandchildren in the car

over a year ago

There is something called the 85th percentile (feel free to go google it) which basically means that if you took any section of road and didnt apply any speed limit to it then 85% of people would naturally travel at the safest speed for that section of road. If you then set the speed limit below the 85th percentile the accident rate actually increases

Where was this experiment undertaken ?"

http://www.dft.gov.uk/ha/standards/dmrb/vol5/section1/ta2281.pdf

for one describes the principle of the 85th percentile

over a year ago

For all your twaddle, isn't it the simple fact that it is the rapid deceleration that usually kills?

"

I didn't wish to appear flippant by saying it was the stopping that kills you

over a year ago

170mph would be classed as inappropriate on most UK roads at most times of day, having said that I have done extended periods at 160mph perfectly legally in Germany.

Take the M6 toll road at 02:00 on a clear dry morning. Good road surface, good weather conditions . Would 170mph then be unsafe or inappropriate?"

You cannot generalise. Wouldn't the proximity of the toll booths themselves be a factor? Even if youv'e got shit hot brakes.

over a year ago

Take the M6 toll road at 02:00 on a clear dry morning. Good road surface, good weather conditions . Would 170mph then be unsafe or inappropriate?"

Yes.

over a year ago

Take the M6 toll road at 02:00 on a clear dry morning. Good road surface, good weather conditions . Would 170mph then be unsafe or inappropriate?

You cannot generalise. Wouldn't the proximity of the toll booths themselves be a factor? Even if youv'e got shit hot brakes."

Not if you're travelling Northbound and have just paid

over a year ago

for one describes the principle of the 85th percentile"

I'm in my phone so can't access the link. Just tell me where the experiment was carried out

over a year ago

and on that note it's goodnight from me

over a year ago

for one describes the principle of the 85th percentile

I'm in my phone so can't access the link. Just tell me where the experiment was carried out "

Who mentioned an experiement

The 85th percentile is a well used figure in traffic management. There was a case down in Devon about 6 years ago where a road in Exeter had a 50 mph reduced to 40mph. Accident rate went up.

By *obnessMan
over a year ago

york

I did the speed awareness course on weds. Zapped at 72 in a 60. Im not proud. No excuses.

over a year ago

Accidents are caused by driving too fast for the circumstances not simply faster than the speed limit. On a motorway 70 is not necessarily safe and 72 is not necessarily dangerous.

The OP's 90 plus may not be dangerous but getting caught suggests he was driving without due care and attention.

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

im a great believer in speed on motorways ...we need to loose the 'doris' mentallity ....when they actually move at the speed they ought to ...everyone will be more tuned in and switched on

By *eMontresMan
over a year ago

Halesowen

It's inappropriate driving behaviour that causes accidents, not speed per se.

Imho, it's much more dangerous to be doing 35 in a 30 during the school run hours, or even 30 in a 30 in some cases, than to be doing 95 on an empty, open motorway in good weather.

I prefer the German system, with unrestricted autobahns where it is safe, and harsh penalties for driving like an arse, regardless of any, or no, speed limits.

over a year ago

"I got done just after Xmas (busiest time of year to be pulled lol) I was doing 43 in a 30 rushing home to do a poo and was pulled over by an unmarked police car and given a fine and 3 points "

Did you make home for your poo

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Possibly so, but this guy kept changing his story when challenged about what stretch of road he had actually achieved this magnificent feat on. It beggared belief

I have been to the Isle on Mad Sunday and ridden at breakneck speeds on Autobahns, where of course it is all legal.

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"I got done just after Xmas (busiest time of year to be pulled lol) I was doing 43 in a 30 rushing home to do a poo and was pulled over by an unmarked police car and given a fine and 3 points

Did you make home for your poo "

No he was firmly in the shit

over a year ago

"I got done just after Xmas (busiest time of year to be pulled lol) I was doing 43 in a 30 rushing home to do a poo and was pulled over by an unmarked police car and given a fine and 3 points

Did you make home for your poo

No he was firmly in the shit "

I shit myself once I saw those flashing blue lights lol

over a year ago

"I did the speed awareness course on weds. Zapped at 72 in a 60. Im not proud. No excuses."

When I attended one last year for doing 34 in a 30, a young lad told the whole group the speedometer was broken on his motorbike.

over a year ago

"Nothing to be proud of.

never said I was proud . Totally disappointed with myself actually"

that you got caught?

doubt it was your first rodeo.

over a year ago

"94mph in a 70. Ffs!!!"

As somebody who watched a person die In front of them due to a car crashing into me where excessive speed was a large contributing factor on their part I have no sympathy for you and would hope you receive a lengthy ban as there is no reason for that sort of speed on our roads.

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

Debates about what the speed limit should be are beside the point.

We all know what the speed limit IS. We know that breaking it is breaking the law. The law is an absolute - you can't break it just a little bit, you are either within the law or are outside it.

And yes, most drivers have exceeded the speed limit at some point. And perhaps it is time to debate the resetting of speed limits. But right now the law is 70 mph on a motorway for a car and anything above that is an offence.

over a year ago

Yesterday 2 people died on the m11 due to excess speed and the inappropriate use of it . It closed m11 for 12 hours cause a great dealof people to miss flights from Stanstead airport. The knock on effect and cost to the local economy is incalculable. It effect as far afield as Colchester and Cambridge. Also injuring 5 horses being transported to Newmarket. .....

speed kills but maybe not the speeder

over a year ago

"94mph in a 70. Ffs!!!"

A couple of mph over the limit and I'd have some degree of sympathy but 24mph over is unnecessary. We all break the limit from time to time and I'd be a hypocrite & liar if I said I hadn't done it.

It's a tough lesson to learn but thankfully only your pride has been hurt.

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

"94mph in a 70. Ffs!!!

A couple of mph over the limit and I'd have some degree of sympathy but 24mph over is unnecessary. We all break the limit from time to time and I'd be a hypocrite & liar if I said I hadn't done it.

It's a tough lesson to learn but thankfully only your pride has been hurt."

Further to the above, through my job a few years ago, I had a lot if dealings with Police officers, the majority being in Traffic or Roads Policing divisions. Their view (then) was that 80 in a 70 mph limit was ok, do long as your driving style wasn't dangerous. Any speed above that attracted their attention.

I did a Speed Awareness Course a few years ago for doing 39 in a 30 zone. Best thing to happen to me and hit home about the dangers if speeding and why limits are set.

Yes, we'll all done that"little over the limit" before and thought nothing about it. But to the OP, at the speed you were doing, the "red mist" had obviously set in and you had no idea what you were doing.

Think about this, if you had reached 100mph, you would appear in court and apart from fines etc, your licence would be taken away,automatically.

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"Ive seen many a close accident caused my people driving way below the speed limit when there is no reason to etc."
its a limit not a target and except on motorways and the odd dual carriage way there is no minimum speeed

over a year ago

"I just got sacked on Friday I got clocked 49 in a 30 zone "

So THAT'S why!?

Wow...

over a year ago

How much time does it take off your journey? Just out of curiosity.

over a year ago

"I just got sacked on Friday I got clocked 49 in a 30 zone "

Im not surprised

By *rumCoupleCouple
over a year ago

birmingham

Our car has a cruise control and a speed limiter. Just dial the limit in, and relax knowing you can't exceed the limit.

over a year ago

It's also worth noting that speedos udually under-read the actual speed you are traveling at, so it's likely that, at 94mph, the Speedo was reading nearer 100mph. I'm not trying to insinuate anything but thought it's a point worth bearing in mind for all of us.

over a year ago

"Our car has a cruise control and a speed limiter. Just dial the limit in, and relax knowing you can't exceed the limit."

You have a black box fitted by your insurance? Great for reducing your premium and avoiding speeding fines but bloody dangerous in some situations.

over a year ago

"How much time does it take off your journey? Just out of curiosity. "

have driven from telford to WSM before now, there around about 80, and back slightly under the limit (roughly between 60 and 70) and i shit you not, the difference was 10 minutes or so, the fuel economy was around 11mpg difference, so for the sake of saving 10 minutes i was wasting a fair few quid.

By * for KinkMan
over a year ago

Bristol

Exactly, unless you are travelling on an almost clear road there is no point in attempting to travel faster.

My last few journeys have included some real jerks repeatedly undertaking at speed and then overtaking, all causing the traffic behind them to brake as they pull in front. I'm inclined to fit a video camera as, sooner or later, they're going to cause a collision.

Re. The broken speedometer; that's a traffic offence, unless it develops a fault whilst being used or a defect has been discovered. In this case all steps must be taken to rectify the fault with reasonable expedition. This exception applies only when the defect develops and must be repaired before the next journey. In broad terms it might be difficult to prove when the speedometer became defective but the Police would probably proceed with a DWDC&A.

over a year ago

"How much time does it take off your journey? Just out of curiosity.

Exactly, unless you are travelling on an almost clear road there is no point in attempting to travel faster.

My last few journeys have included some real jerks repeatedly undertaking at speed and then overtaking, all causing the traffic behind them to brake as they pull in front. I'm inclined to fit a video camera as, sooner or later, they're going to cause a collision.

Re. The broken speedometer; that's a traffic offence, unless it develops a fault whilst being used or a defect has been discovered. In this case all steps must be taken to rectify the fault with reasonable expedition. This exception applies only when the defect develops and must be repaired before the next journey. In broad terms it might be difficult to prove when the speedometer became defective but the Police would probably proceed with a DWDC&A."

However if you have a GPS which displays the speed you do have a get out as the C & U regs simply state

++++

35. (1) Save as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3), every motor vehicle shall be fitted with a speedometer which, if the vehicle is first used on or after 1st April 1984, shall be capable of indicating speed in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour, either simultaneously or, by the operation of a switch, separately

+++

They don't actually require the speedo to be permanently fitted to the vehicle.

over a year ago

for me personally its not simply about getting from A to B quickly its more about finding a nice flowing bit of road and riding it at a safe speed (with due consideration for other road users).

Unfortunately a safe speed (& I'm not talking silly cruise missile speeds here) on a well maintained machine being ridden by an experienced rider in good weather conditions (and the same applies to cars) may well be in excess of the posted speed limit.

That's the chance we take

over a year ago

I got pulled five plus years ago on the m6, after I'd been through the average speed section I accelerated to 110 plus mph, half four in the morning, night shift over and bed beckoning. An unmarked car followed me to 110 plus, I thought f@ck me, he must want his bed too. I slowed to 90, he over took, pulled in front and have a quick flash of the lights to show they were police without pulling me.

I slowed to 70, behind them, they pulled into the inside lane and slowed, I overtook them at 70, having a courteous nod as I drove past, then realised we were driving through more roadworks so I was speeding again doing 70 in a 50 zone.

They pulled me, I said sorry, nightshift just done and I want my bed..

They told me it was the same for them, watch my speed in future and goodnight - lucky escape.

over a year ago

"I got pulled five plus years ago on the m6, after I'd been through the average speed section I accelerated to 110 plus mph, half four in the morning, night shift over and bed beckoning. An unmarked car followed me to 110 plus, I thought f@ck me, he must want his bed too. I slowed to 90, he over took, pulled in front and have a quick flash of the lights to show they were police without pulling me.

I slowed to 70, behind them, they pulled into the inside lane and slowed, I overtook them at 70, having a courteous nod as I drove past, then realised we were driving through more roadworks so I was speeding again doing 70 in a 50 zone.

They told me it was the same for them, watch my speed in future and goodnight - lucky escape. "

A good example of good policing.

Had a similar experience on the M6 toll a year or two back on a Sunday afternoon.

Doing around 100 in the nearside lane, BMW ahead doing around 80-85. Flicked indicator on and by the second flash there were blue & red lights in the back window. Cut the throttle and maintained position behind them.

About a minute later a Porsche came past in the outside lane probably around the 100 mark again, he was parked up a little further on having his car checked out by the boys in the Beemer

over a year ago

"I got pulled five plus years ago on the m6, after I'd been through the average speed section I accelerated to 110 plus mph, half four in the morning, night shift over and bed beckoning. An unmarked car followed me to 110 plus, I thought f@ck me, he must want his bed too. I slowed to 90, he over took, pulled in front and have a quick flash of the lights to show they were police without pulling me.

They told me it was the same for them, watch my speed in future and goodnight - lucky escape.

Had a similar experience on the M6 toll a year or two back on a Sunday afternoon.

Doing around 100 in the nearside lane, BMW ahead doing around 80-85. Flicked indicator on and by the second flash there were blue & red lights in the back window. Cut the throttle and maintained position behind them.

About a minute later a Porsche came past in the outside lane probably around the 100 mark again, he was parked up a little further on having his car checked out by the boys in the Beemer "

Their not all bad, reading the senario is what its about. I was lucky tho.

over a year ago

I think it's wrong, by allowing people to get away with it they will continue to drive in such a manner. what would have happened if the police drove off and you started speeding again and crashed killing yourself and a car with a whole family in it in process ?

over a year ago

An amazing amount of bullshit on this topic. If you speed and you get caught, tuff titty. Man ( or woman) up, pay the fine, take the points, serve your ban whatever. You were in the wrong. Speed does kill, fancy joining me the next time im turfed out of bed in the middle of the night to cut some mangled remains out a car? Want to help bag the guts, the brains? Want to sit in the wreck trying to comfort an injured person whos sitting beside the mangled driver/ passenger?

Dont try and justify it by blaming the police, the road, oh its so easy to do 94 without realising !!! Who are you kidding. !!

By *oulou45Woman
over a year ago

Bucks

We were all discussing it but I do agree if you get caught you should pay.

over a year ago

"An amazing amount of bullshit on this topic. If you speed and you get caught, tuff titty. Man ( or woman) up, pay the fine, take the points, serve your ban whatever. You were in the wrong. Speed does kill, fancy joining me the next time im turfed out of bed in the middle of the night to cut some mangled remains out a car? Want to help bag the guts, the brains? Want to sit in the wreck trying to comfort an injured person whos sitting beside the mangled driver/ passenger?

Dont try and justify it by blaming the police, the road, oh its so easy to do 94 without realising !!! Who are you kidding. !!"

I don't think anyone disagrees. Exceeding the posted speed limit (or "speeding" to use the more emotive term) is illegal and like all acts where the law is broken carries it's consequences.

Where there is a point for lively debate is the difference between inappropriate excess speed and travelling at higher velocities at safer , all be it illegal, speeds.

I remember back in 84 being pulled by a copper for doing 110mph (on a quiet dual carriageway with no traffic).

His first question was "Do you know how fast you were going?"

My answer "Of course I do, it would be dangerous if I didn't"

Long story short I got a verbal bolloking and told to make sure I knew who was behind me before going that fast.

And that's my point (also touched on by at least one other). It's not just the actual speed involved , there are a whole plethora of other factors to take into consideration.

In no particular order (and as an example) :

Driver ability

Vehicle serviceability

Other road users

Road conditions

Weather conditions

Road layout

over a year ago

many speed limits are ridiculous. I just did a long drive into Derbyshire where many 40 and 50 mph limits could easily have been done safely at 60 (and no,I didnt, cause I dont want to get 3 points) while the 60mph speed limits were in places you would need a death wish to go over 40.

I doubt there is much relationship between likelihood of having an accident and likelihood of getting 3 points.

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"many speed limits are ridiculous. I just did a long drive into Derbyshire where many 40 and 50 mph limits could easily have been done safely at 60 (and no,I didnt, cause I dont want to get 3 points) while the 60mph speed limits were in places you would need a death wish to go over 40.

I doubt there is much relationship between likelihood of having an accident and likelihood of getting 3 points."

can only agree on some of this point why are all the A roads that lead out of manchester over the peninnes 50 limit to the boundary with yorkshire then change to national speed limit within yards of the boundary one (A635) is dead strait and level for a mile either side of the boundary and spped change just doesent make sence

By *oulou45Woman
over a year ago

Bucks

I took ages to learn to drive. When I finally passed my test I treasured my licence .I still do I became a gran a few years after passing my test so I am very strict about speeding etc.

over a year ago

"many speed limits are ridiculous. I just did a long drive into Derbyshire where many 40 and 50 mph limits could easily have been done safely at 60 (and no,I didnt, cause I dont want to get 3 points) while the 60mph speed limits were in places you would need a death wish to go over 40.

I doubt there is much relationship between likelihood of having an accident and likelihood of getting 3 points.can only agree on some of this point why are all the A roads that lead out of manchester over the peninnes 50 limit to the boundary with yorkshire then change to national speed limit within yards of the boundary one (A635) is dead strait and level for a mile either side of the boundary and spped change just doesent make sence "

cough, cough. Did someone say "revenue generator"

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

I doubt there is much relationship between likelihood of having an accident and likelihood of getting 3 points.can only agree on some of this point why are all the A roads that lead out of manchester over the peninnes 50 limit to the boundary with yorkshire then change to national speed limit within yards of the boundary one (A635) is dead strait and level for a mile either side of the boundary and spped change just doesent make sence

cough, cough. Did someone say "revenue generator" "

spot on they have even created a "bay £ for the scamera van to catch anyone over fifty out its just after a 90%bend in the middle of two long straits no where near the multiple double bends where the incidents do happen so in what way is it preventing accidents ?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

honest opinion is that it would be cuntish and anyone doing so deserves whatever happens tbh..

be that a ban or worse..

over a year ago

Shame you were not going 7mph faster it would have made the roads safer when you got banned.

By *xpresMan
over a year ago

Elland

When the 70mph limit was first brought in. Cars were on shitty thin tyres with bad spongey brakes steering racks that were like atiring custard non responsive throttles no crumple zone or seat belts...

FF to 2014 modern cars are all designed n tested to 100mph+ so realistically the IDIOTS who are poating crap about killing people in your car surly are totaly clueless about modern or cars n driving opposed to cars from 50/60 years ago when the 70mph limit was introduced on our motorways

over a year ago

Tested to 100mph plus???? Where in gods name did you pull that from??? Euro ncap goes nowhere near 100mph. Ever seen a car hit something at 100? Ever seen a car hit something at 50? You dont walk away and neither do those you hit. Not an idiot matey, a well informed road traffic collision instructor. I know who is clueless.

over a year ago

honest opinion is that it would be cuntish and anyone doing so deserves whatever happens tbh..

be that a ban or worse.."

To pick up from another post about when the 70mph limit was first introduced in the uk...

Tell me, why is it safe and legal to travel at high triple digit speeds on the unrestricted sections of Autobahns (many areas do have limits imposed where required) yet if you bring exactly the same vehicle & driver/rider to the UK and put them on an identical piece of road in identical weather conditions does that driving become "cuntish" ?

Yes, illegal because of UK legislation but "cuntish" or unsafe ?

No.

By *ihimbiherCouple
over a year ago

lightwater

We all do it and those that say they dont are lying!!!!

over a year ago

"When the 70mph limit was first brought in. Cars were on shitty thin tyres with bad spongey brakes steering racks that were like atiring custard non responsive throttles no crumple zone or seat belts...

FF to 2014 modern cars are all designed n tested to 100mph+ so realistically the IDIOTS who are poating crap about killing people in your car surly are totaly clueless about modern or cars n driving opposed to cars from 50/60 years ago when the 70mph limit was introduced on our motorways "

This makes an interesting read

http://www.abd.org.uk/motorwayspeedlimit.htm

over a year ago

They may make prizes, but they don't save lives.

Points that is.

To improve road safety I recommend any man caught at 10mph over the recommended limit is forced to drive an Austin Maxi for 6 months and wear a pork pie hat.

All women to drive an Austin Allegro and be forced to wear gaudy print crimpolene summer frock regardless of the season.

Locals will jeer as they drive past and throw rotten veg at the cars.

That'll make people think twice and bring down RTA levels

Oh and shut Matlock bath to motorbikes on Sundays and Bank Holidays

over a year ago

"When the 70mph limit was first brought in. Cars were on shitty thin tyres with bad spongey brakes steering racks that were like atiring custard non responsive throttles no crumple zone or seat belts...

FF to 2014 modern cars are all designed n tested to 100mph+ so realistically the IDIOTS who are poating crap about killing people in your car surly are totaly clueless about modern or cars n driving opposed to cars from 50/60 years ago when the 70mph limit was introduced on our motorways "

The only 100mph+ testing carried out are outright performance tests. These are often done on closed roads/tracks or rolling roads on brand new vehicles that have every conceivable test carried out to ensure the best performance result is achieved (new brakes, New tyres often filled with inert gas etc). Crash tests like those carried out by Euro Encap are usually only carried out up to 50mph.

Yes, cars and car safety have come a long way since the limit was introduced and many cars can stop in half the Highway Code distance but the human body hasn't quite evolved as much. The chances of being killed may have been reduced slightly but hitting another vehicle at 100mph (or even half that) will still have shocking results.

Personally, though, I do think the national speed limit is due a review, maybe once they've repaired all the potholes littering the road and motorway network.

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

be that a ban or worse..

To pick up from another post about when the 70mph limit was first introduced in the uk...

Tell me, why is it safe and legal to travel at high triple digit speeds on the unrestricted sections of Autobahns (many areas do have limits imposed where required) yet if you bring exactly the same vehicle & driver/rider to the UK and put them on an identical piece of road in identical weather conditions does that driving become "cuntish" ?

No."

go and ttravel on the unristricted sections of the autobahn have an accident and see how the german courts treat you if you survive yes you can travel at high speed on those roads legaly but fuck up and have a crash and they can and will throw the book at you

over a year ago

"

Oh and shut Matlock bath to motorbikes on Sundays and Bank Holidays "

Have you not considered the impact on the trade in the local fish shops of such a ban

over a year ago

be that a ban or worse..

No.go and ttravel on the unristricted sections of the autobahn have an accident and see how the german courts treat you if you survive yes you can travel at high speed on those roads legaly but fuck up and have a crash and they can and will throw the book at you "

Yup, drive dangerously anywhere and you will rightly get the book thrown at you however speed itself is not dangerous driving, there are a number of other factors to be taken into consideration.

over a year ago

"

Oh and shut Matlock bath to motorbikes on Sundays and Bank Holidays

Have you not considered the impact on the trade in the local fish shops of such a ban "

Yes !

They would receive Government subsidies paid for by the fines and trade would increase as they would be able to offer free parking outside the shop, rather than a mile up the road !

Motorcyclists found speeding would also be required to fit a side car for 12 months.

That'll teach 'em

over a year ago

"

Motorcyclists found speeding would also be required to fit a side car for 12 months.

That'll teach 'em "

ooooh that's harsh !!!!

By *xpresMan
over a year ago

Elland

"Tested to 100mph plus???? Where in gods name did you pull that from??? Euro ncap goes nowhere near 100mph. Ever seen a car hit something at 100? Ever seen a car hit something at 50? You dont walk away and neither do those you hit. Not an idiot matey, a well informed road traffic collision instructor. I know who is clueless."

yeah I've seen a car on the autobahn hit the back of a LGV the truck was going 56mph the point of impact they said that it would have been like a car hitting it at 75mph the 4 squaddies in the car literally wouldn't have known what they hit i was in a collision @85 i wasn't driving i may add the car was torn apart but for the interior that was pretty much intact we hit a dear a car & a mini bus..

so yeah i seen & been a part of RTCs so matey get your head out of your arse n stop being a prick

By *xpresMan
over a year ago

Elland

"I have no sympathy for anyone speeding, especially if they knowingly do it on a regular basis, too many deaths caused by careless driving."

speed n careless driving are 2 Totaly different things

over a year ago

It's also all fine and dandy to talk about perfect weather, visibility and the car/bike being in perfect mechanical condition. I hit a pothole at around 40mph and ended up with a badly bent rim and knackered tyre. I also struggled to keep control. Now imagine that at twice that speed or maybe more. Our road network is in a shocking state and cannot safely support higher speeds until it's repaired PROPERLY.

over a year ago

"It's also all fine and dandy to talk about perfect weather, visibility and the car/bike being in perfect mechanical condition. I hit a pothole at around 40mph and ended up with a badly bent rim and knackered tyre. I also struggled to keep control. Now imagine that at twice that speed or maybe more. Our road network is in a shocking state and cannot safely support higher speeds until it's repaired PROPERLY. "

exactly!

there is a time and place for driving fast.

if you want to do it, pay for a track day and enjoy yourself.

over a year ago

About a minute later a Porsche came past in the outside lane probably around the 100 mark again, he was parked up a little further on having his car checked out by the boys in the Beemer "

That is not a good example of good policing. Good policing would be to have arrested him and got him banned. Then maybe we'd have one less nutter in the road doing 100+mph.

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"It's also all fine and dandy to talk about perfect weather, visibility and the car/bike being in perfect mechanical condition. I hit a pothole at around 40mph and ended up with a badly bent rim and knackered tyre. I also struggled to keep control. Now imagine that at twice that speed or maybe more. Our road network is in a shocking state and cannot safely support higher speeds until it's repaired PROPERLY. "
not just potholes and bad surfaces are a danger, coming down A62 into saddleworth other day and hit the hook part of a load strap that had obviously snapped off and fallen in the raod this took a sizeable chunk out of one of my truck tyres had i been in a car or on a bike it would of been an almost certain blow out as it was it cost my company £460 for a replacment

over a year ago

"Tested to 100mph plus???? Where in gods name did you pull that from??? Euro ncap goes nowhere near 100mph. Ever seen a car hit something at 100? Ever seen a car hit something at 50? You dont walk away and neither do those you hit. Not an idiot matey, a well informed road traffic collision instructor. I know who is clueless.

yeah I've seen a car on the autobahn hit the back of a LGV the truck was going 56mph the point of impact they said that it would have been like a car hitting it at 75mph the 4 squaddies in the car literally wouldn't have known what they hit i was in a collision @85 i wasn't driving i may add the car was torn apart but for the interior that was pretty much intact we hit a dear a car & a mini bus..

so yeah i seen & been a part of RTCs so matey get your head out of your arse n stop being a prick"

The typical response of the uneducated to resort to insults !!!

By *oulou45Woman
over a year ago

Bucks

We were driving on the same bypass as simply black yesterday. Had an idiotic driver cause a crash between our mini bus which was carrying 4 of our service users , my brother and myself. Also another car with 2 young guys in it.. That could of been 8 lives lost. . I guess I should count myself lucky to of escaped with bad whiplash , with the pain im in at the mo I don't feel it. Even more so as the idiot got away.

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

"Its so easily done especially at night. I alwayson the a41 but nnever saw police there before"

So you were doing 94 on the A41 at night and paying zero attention to the road and you failed to see the police car. Was it one of the traffic cars covered in dayglow? And seeing as your in Oxfordshire, were you by any chance on the absolutely straight single carriageway 50MPH road that passes COD Bicester? This may sound harsh but if so I hope they charge you with dangerous driving and remove you from our roads for a few years.

over a year ago

Luckily you are here to post this

Wouldn't be so lucky if you had crashed

Slow down limits are there for a reason

over a year ago

thought i would hitch onto the back of this one, rather than start another.

got caught doing something rather silly (not my proudest moment) and have had the option of doing the awareness class.

im not doing the speed one, cuz i dont generally speed anyway, but there is one thats driving based (drive 4 better i think its called) anyone had any involvement in one of these classes?

i thought if im gonna be spending 80 quid of my own money, i may as well actually get something out of it

over a year ago

Congratulations with a bit of luck for the next year you will be doing about 10 mph in a 30 zone on a bicycle.

Post new Message to Thread